*** The Official September 2018 Thread *** let's get started to have some fun

I just watched the Tampa newscast so I could watch the weather. I follow the weather dude on FB, too. He's not expecting Florence to cause issues for FL at all, and there's a slight chance it may not even hit the Eastern US. #9 (which is the next one on the map) is projected to spin out into the Atlantic at this time, but #8 (the one currently by Africa) is currently projected to make it into the Caribbean, which means possibly a Gulf Coast landfall. But it's too far out to be overly concerned just yet. This dude is apparently the "guru" for the area, so I feel like he knows what he's talking about.

I lived in FL for a while, and I hated this whole hurricane watch. The weeks and months of "will it or won't it" drove me nuts. And here I am, doing the same for our trip. I'm less concerned about the days in the parks than I am our travel days. If our flights are messed up, we can always drive, but that would significantly cramp my style. We can't leave earlier to get there because Mom won't be here to keep my kids yet (she arrives the night before we leave). I was trying to leave my work behind, but if there's a possibility of getting stuck due to a hurricane, I'm going to have to haul it along.

Other than all the agonizing over the weather, I'm ready. Just missing the shirts I've ordered to surprise DH, but everything else is ready to go. Even me. ;)

Four days here till we head out 9/11-9/26 I’m trying real hard not to look at the weather just hoping for the best wishing everyone bright sunny days during your trip

I just watched the Tampa newscast so I could watch the weather. I follow the weather dude on FB, too. He's not expecting Florence to cause issues for FL at all, and there's a slight chance it may not even hit the Eastern US. #9 (which is the next one on the map) is projected to spin out into the Atlantic at this time, but #8 (the one currently by Africa) is currently projected to make it into the Caribbean, which means possibly a Gulf Coast landfall. But it's too far out to be overly concerned just yet. This dude is apparently the "guru" for the area, so I feel like he knows what he's talking about.

I lived in FL for a while, and I hated this whole hurricane watch. The weeks and months of "will it or won't it" drove me nuts. And here I am, doing the same for our trip. I'm less concerned about the days in the parks than I am our travel days. If our flights are messed up, we can always drive, but that would significantly cramp my style. We can't leave earlier to get there because Mom won't be here to keep my kids yet (she arrives the night before we leave). I was trying to leave my work behind, but if there's a possibility of getting stuck due to a hurricane, I'm going to have to haul it along.

Other than all the agonizing over the weather, I'm ready. Just missing the shirts I've ordered to surprise DH, but everything else is ready to go. Even me. ;)

When do you go? We're driving down on the 15th. I don't know what the timeline even is but Florida doesn't seem to be in the crosshairs. Is #8 coming right behind? Our friend is going at the samne time as us and doesn't even seem to think of hurricanes. I wish I could be like that. I'm obsessing. Praying.

I am supposed to be landing at MCO right now. Got my room text and am ready to go.

Instead I am sitting on a hot plane at the gate in Philly. Stinks! Rope drop tomorrow is looking more and more unlikely.

When do you go? We're driving down on the 15th. I don't know what the timeline even is but Florida doesn't seem to be in the crosshairs. Is #8 coming right behind? Our friend is going at the samne time as us and doesn't even seem to think of hurricanes. I wish I could be like that. I'm obsessing. Praying.

We arrive on the 15th. Flying from Nashville. I really don’t think that we’ll have trouble unless things go crazy. #8 is coming behind Florence, but by several days, I think. There’s no real projection on that, yet. Too far out & unreliable. This time next week could be tense!

I am supposed to be landing at MCO right now. Got my room text and am ready to go.

Instead I am sitting on a hot plane at the gate in Philly. Stinks! Rope drop tomorrow is looking more and more unlikely.

Oh no! I hope you get off the ground soon!

Finally have a chance to report back. We pushed our drive a few hours and ended up leaving at 3:30 Thursday morning. Arrived at 10:45am. So far I am blown away! Bell services unloaded the car and I parked it. We all walked in the lobby and a man with an iPad greeted me by name and took us up to the 12th floor. Checked us in really fast, showed us the lounge, gave us a welcome gift and we were in our room. We headed to Chef Mickeys and it was empty at 1:00pm. We hit HS and had FP for SDD, AS2 and TSMM but it was only a 30 min wait for SDD. It went down for about 30 min after we rode so we dodged that bullitt. Rode everything with little to no wait. RnR 15-20 min. Friday MK was walk on for most rides. 30 min wait for 7DMT. We rode splash stand by 15 min. We ended up not using most of our FP so the extras were a waste of money. It only rained on us a few times both days but not enough to break out the ponchos. I think I’ll do a trip report once we get home. For those coming this week, safe travels!

Finally have a chance to report back. We pushed our drive a few hours and ended up leaving at 3:30 Thursday morning. Arrived at 10:45am. So far I am blown away! Bell services unloaded the car and I parked it. We all walked in the lobby and a man with an iPad greeted me by name and took us up to the 12th floor. Checked us in really fast, showed us the lounge, gave us a welcome gift and we were in our room. We headed to Chef Mickeys and it was empty at 1:00pm. We hit HS and had FP for SDD, AS2 and TSMM but it was only a 30 min wait for SDD. It went down for about 30 min after we rode so we dodged that bullitt. Rode everything with little to no wait. RnR 15-20 min. Friday MK was walk on for most rides. 30 min wait for 7DMT. We rode splash stand by 15 min. We ended up not using most of our FP so the extras were a waste of money. It only rained on us a few times both days but not enough to break out the ponchos. I think I’ll do a trip report once we get home. For those coming this week, safe travels!

Glad to hear that the crowds are still low! When I was at HS on Wednesday it was the emptiest I've ever seen that park. Rode SDD twice, ToT three times - with an elevator all to myself the third time!, RnR, TSM, Star Tours - which was a walk on all day so rode it three times in a row. I was also happy that weather wasn't an issue. I bought a poncho first thing and only broke it out once on Monday at MK. Rides had very short waits that day also and the party had very low crowds.

Hope you continue to have a great trip!

I had a Disney dream within a dream last night. It always gets worse the closer I get to leaving.

I dreamed we got to MK, and for some reason our kids were with us (this is an adults-only trip), DH had gone to park the car, and was taking forever to get back. The kids & I had done half the park before he found us. We tapped in for our FP for Splash, and then had to stop and wait while everyone else just walked on, but we weren't allowed on for some reason. I also realized I was wearing the wrong shoes, and they didn't even fit. So, in my dream, I wake up from THAT dream, and tell my husband about it. He laughed at me. So then I woke up for real, told him all about it, and he just looked at me like I was a bit crazy. Which I suppose I am. Ha! But at least I didn't dream about getting hit by a hurricane while we were there. I suppose there's always an up side.

We arrive one week from today! Woohoo!

Made it to French Quarter! Even managed to get almost the exact room I’d requested via TouringPlans room fax— same location, just down a floor (not going to go into more detail on that for obvious reasons).

Headed out to meander around Wilderness Lodge for a bit, then off to AKL for dinner at Boma this evening.

Today is a busy Disney day for me!
Last night at the last minute I decided to go to Macy's to get some matching luggage that wasn't black. All of our suitcases but one are black. I remembered last night that on my last trip my main suitcase was having issues with one of the wheels when it was full (probably from me overpacking it :rolleyes1)
I ended up getting an orange set of 3 hardsided cases (2 checked and 1 carry on.) I personally would have gone with the bright pink set but this way me or DH can use it. And if we get a few trips out of the luggage is served its purpose.
Anyway, today is filled with packing, packing, and more packing. The last 3 shirts I was waiting for arrived today. One of them was an idea I had for a shirt that I asked an Etsy seller to create for me from scratch. It came out great! It has Ariel and Rapunzel on it, which are my favorite princesses.
I've got YouTube playing resort tv on my TV, I'm folding and sorting like a madwoman, and intermittently stalking coverage of Tropical Storm Florence, who is seriously threatening my travel plans for Thursday.

Today is a busy Disney day for me!
Last night at the last minute I decided to go to Macy's to get some matching luggage that wasn't black. All of our suitcases but one are black. I remembered last night that on my last trip my main suitcase was having issues with one of the wheels when it was full (probably from me overpacking it :rolleyes1)
I ended up getting an orange set of 3 hardsided cases (2 checked and 1 carry on.) I personally would have gone with the bright pink set but this way me or DH can use it. And if we get a few trips out of the luggage is served its purpose.
Anyway, today is filled with packing, packing, and more packing. The last 3 shirts I was waiting for arrived today. One of them was an idea I had for a shirt that I asked an Etsy seller to create for me from scratch. It came out great! It has Ariel and Rapunzel on it, which are my favorite princesses.
I've got YouTube playing resort tv on my TV, I'm folding and sorting like a madwoman, and intermittently stalking coverage of Tropical Storm Florence, who is seriously threatening my travel plans for Thursday.

Stay away, Florence!!!!

So excited over news I’ve heard this week - Vampirina showing up last night for good at MNSSHP AND someone in Kenny’s FB page said they heard inside info that Maleficent will be back soon! Eeek! This time next week, I’ll be cruising World Showcase with my baguette and butter from France!

Edit to add this non-Disney but learned on Disboards: Designated Survivor got picked up by Netflix!

Last edited:
Started packing today! We're supposed to leave early Friday morning from DC...I'm over here seriously freaking out about Florence snarling travel plans...if a hurricane is in the Carolinas, would that affect flights from DC to Orlando?

We have multiple backup plans (flying out Wednesday afternoon, flying out Thursday....) but as DH just started a new job he doesn't have *any* extra leave so we'd prefer not to leave earlier if we don't have to. We'll see. :) Just watching and waiting! :)

Started packing today! We're supposed to leave early Friday morning from DC...I'm over here seriously freaking out about Florence snarling travel plans...if a hurricane is in the Carolinas, would that affect flights from DC to Orlando?

We have multiple backup plans (flying out Wednesday afternoon, flying out Thursday....) but as DH just started a new job he doesn't have *any* extra leave so we'd prefer not to leave earlier if we don't have to. We'll see. :) Just watching and waiting! :)
So I asked the SW rep that when I called earlier. I explained that it may not necessarily impact my departure or arrival airports, but she said if it does impact the route, they likely will issue an advisory. Not sure if that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter