The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Lets discuss training plans today. Specifically, how do you pick out which training plan to follow at any given time? Do you use one from a book, coach, or make your own? If you make your own, do you do research into other plans and use their ideas to develop yours?
Since I started running (for the first time in my life) when I registered for my first half marathon (2013 W&D), I have always followed Jeff Galloway's training plans. After my first couple of half marathons I adjusted it by two weeks to cap out at 12.5 miles (the 14 milers were a killer!)

Next week I will be starting a Hal Higdon plan. I felt like it was time to step things up a bit, without making too drastic of a change. I also appreciate how his long runs cap at 12 for the half and 20 for the full.

QOTD: Lets discuss training plans today. Specifically, how do you pick out which training plan to follow at any given time? Do you use one from a book, coach, or make your own? If you make your own, do you do research into other plans and use their ideas to develop yours?
I find one that fits me and how I like to run. I started with Galloway when training for my first half but once going to Full training and with everyone discussing things here I felt it was best to find a different training plan which is when I went with Higdon. With no immediate race of any distance on the horizon yet I am not sure how I will use training plans going forward.

I used Galloway for my previous halfs and modified it for a 10miler I have coming up. I tried a 10k plan for another mother runner over the summer, but fell off - not sure why, if it was the plan, the heat,
Or what.

He doesn’t know it yet - but now that the dusting is settling from marathon weekend, I need to talk to @DopeyBadger about a plan for my next half in May :)

@LSUlakes - can you add: JulieODC - 2/4 - Super Sunday 2018 5 miler (NG/NA)

Also, we leave for 5 days in Disney this afternoon!! Planning a few running days while we are staying the Swan over the weekend - not runDisney, but as close as I’ll get for a whole!

ATTQOTD: Long, long ago (like around the time of the invention of the wheel) I was a track and cross-country runner. I was pretty good actually. But unfortunately this led me to trying to qualify for the Olympics every time I ran when I picked it back up about 5 years ago. I ended up with plantar fasciitis and then achilles tendinitis and eventually burn-out. I shut things down for a bit and then began following first Jeff Galloway plans as I prepared for my first runDisney race in 2014. I liked his plans as it gave me permission to slow down and reduce distance and build up naturally. Since then I have used a plan from a running friend and a plan from a favorite ultra running author. Again I like the structure and guidance it provides and keeps me from being too stupid. In February I will be starting an ultra plan I excited about.

I have typically used the base of Galloway to plan out my training, might modify it here and there as the situation calls for and rarely do I do the 14 miler as the longest run, usually a 12.5 or 13 for longest. Does it work for me? I think so, although I have never tried anything different to know if it is the best fit for me or not! I am on my running break (we were on a break!!!!! sorry, I have a Friends moment every time I say it) right now so no training plans or running is happening. When the hiatus is over I will re-evaluate my situation and race options and see what my plan will be going forward. I know I will have rebuilding to do, but I am okay with that because I know for sure I need this break mentally and physically. I am noting all these plan options you guys are saying for when I do make my return though, thanks all!

@LSUlakes - we've still got leftover snow from last week up here. I finally did my long run for the week this morning, and while my long run path had been plowed, I had to climb over a mound of sneaux to get there. So if you'd like, I can see if there's any way I can ship some of this sneaux down to Louisiana for you. (I actually love snow ... it's just been around for a week now, so I really didn't want to have to climb over it)

I put some in a jar from our sneaux day in December and its hanging out in our freezer. lol

@LSUlakes , when you have time can you add to the list:
2/24 - theHamm- Enchanted 10k (N/A/N/A) Real goal: have fun. This is the race that started me running for more than 2 days. I really only want it to be better than my Thor 10K experience. I'm not willing to pass up a photo or on-course entertainment to get a time.

I am interested in the QOTD as it has been on my mind quite a bit as I have been looking at the frequently mentioned training plans but do not see any of them being a good fit. I started running regularly to see if I could finish a 10K, and I can, so what is a new goal? As I do not think I will find more than 60 consecutive minutes in any given day to commit to training, increasing to a half distance seems silly. I could feasibly get two runs in some days, but still total <2hr, and I don't think the split would be sufficient to sub in for a longer run.
Is my only other option to try to get faster? Are time and distance the only goals people set?

I am interested in the QOTD as it has been on my mind quite a bit as I have been looking at the frequently mentioned training plans but do not see any of them being a good fit. I started running regularly to see if I could finish a 10K, and I can, so what is a new goal? As I do not think I will find more than 60 consecutive minutes in any given day to commit to training, increasing to a half distance seems silly. I could feasibly get two runs in some days, but still total <2hr, and I don't think the split would be sufficient to sub in for a longer run.
Is my only other option to try to get faster? Are time and distance the only goals people set?

We all have different life parameters to work with. I agree with you that a half seems silly (not un-doable, but not a good fit).

Maybe your goal is to do a faster 10K.

Or maybe the goal is consistency, like complete W 10Ks in a year, or run X days a week, or Y minutes a week, or Z miles a week. (Not algebra/math. Think of it as a 'fill in the numbers' game.)

I believe a goal doesn't necessarily have to be 'getting better'. A valid goal is 'maintain the fitness that I have.'

ATTQOTD: I started out using Higdon half marathon plans and they tend to be my fall back position when I'm not on an active plan or need a quick turnaround between races. When I have a goal marathon or event weekend I prefer using @DopeyBadger plans. I feel like they are more targeted and do a better job getting me ready for race day than generic plans. I also very much like the breakdown of the different paces that you run on those plans. It helps break up the monotony of training and ensures that I don't go too fast.

ATTQOTD: When I started running about 7 years ago, I didn't have follow any plans. Ran several halfs just by doing my own thing. When I decided to run a Marathon, I joined the local running club, and followed the marathon plan the advanced group had for a couple of years. It got me to the finish line of 3 marathons, but did not feel like it helped as much as I think I needed. When I did Goofy a couple of years ago, and started following the boards here more closely, discovered the popular @DopeyBadger training log and plans. Based on his logs a couple of years ago, decided to look more into the Hanson's plan. I have used that the last two years and it got me to a nice PR last Jan in Houston on an absolute miserable day (too hot and humid). I did modify it some for Dopey this year, and made it a (gulp!) 27 week plan that worked for me. I was gassed at the end of the marathon on Sunday, but I had zero soreness on Monday, and have had no issues going up or down stairs!

The rest of the this winter/spring season, I will probably continue to run 5/6 days a week but hit no more than 30-35 miles per week to let my body rest some. Not sure what I am going to do racewise next fall/winter yet.

ATTQOTD:
I wasn't super happy with my Nike+ runclub training plan when I first got the idea in my head to use one. It was too much too fast and too often for me at the time. And I saw @Ariel484 (I think it was you) discussing with @DopeyBadger slow/fast & 80/20 strategies, etc for her current race at the time. And I just was a little lost and what he was saying made my mind go "hmmmm" and so I just PM'd him for help. Even though at the time I wasn't running very long races. So I guess the only plans I've ever completed are DopeyBadgerPlansTM even before they were an established thing. And when they say if something isn't broke, don't fix it!!
I have for sure read a lot of what you all write about your other methods and a lot of what Billy writes about other methods...and his evolve even with his own training. So it's not a stagnant thing at all. So I've never gotten bored with it. The plans have changed along with me and that's probably the best thing.
I feel like as long as I put in the work and trust the training, this current method is netting big results for me.

I have thought about trying a @DopeyBadger plan since everyone seems to have success with it, but I feel like kind of a square peg in a round hole... I have problems hitting paces due to stopping and walking, I run with a group 2x a week so I have kind of a fixed run time/distance/pace on 2 of those days (although the Saturday one is easier to add time to, and I'm quite often the slowest, so the pace is either me alone or someone hanging back with me), and I'm going to be starting at Orangetheory when they open up in early March for some extra running and cross training. Once they open, ideally what I'm hoping to do is run 3x a week and do OTF 2-3x a week, maybe subbing OTF for regular runs in case of yucky weather, although since they don't open until March, I need to start doing more at my regular gym until then. I'm really hoping that I can get it together for this spring season and gain enough fitness and lose some lbs so that I don't have such a bad time again this fall.

The beauty of a custom plan is it is based on you. So you essentially tell me what you can handle time wise and I write it as best I can. I also helped out several run/walkers for marathon weekend and feel relatively confident that my philosophies and those of run/walk mesh well. So if you're up for it, just send me a PM and I can help.

He doesn’t know it yet - but now that the dusting is settling from marathon weekend, I need to talk to @DopeyBadger about a plan for my next half in May :)

I'm ready when you are. Obviously getting a lot of requests right now post-marathon weekend, but I'm clearing my schedule to help as quickly as I can.

I have for sure read a lot of what you all write about your other methods and a lot of what Billy writes about other methods...and his evolve even with his own training. So it's not a stagnant thing at all. So I've never gotten bored with it. The plans have changed along with me and that's probably the best thing.

This is certainly a critical step. I'm humble enough to realize I don't know everything and never will. So I am always trying to continue to learn. With that means I'm always shifting and pivoting trying to find what works and what doesn't. A plan written by me a year ago probably looks wildly different than a plan today. And a plan a year from now will probably look different again. I'm constantly trying to come up with new ideas to best help the people asking for my help.

A little bit of personal news. As runners we are aware of our HR, either because of a monitor we run with or from trips to the doctors office. Well my dad who used to run and still works out was at the gym yesterday. He takes his HR before and after workouts to monitor things. He took it before his workout and got a reading of a RHR of 150! He thought something was wrong with the machine and went work out because he said he feels fine. After the workout it would not register anything. He got a few people to try and they got normal results. He immediately called his Dr and ended up getting a EKG (I think) which showed it was indeed 150 but luckily nothing major bad was taking place, other of course than the high HR. He is going back today and if its still high after the medication he has been put on will be admitted to be "shocked" to get the HR to come down. For my dad we could use a little pixie dust and prayers that everything is ok. Thanks and I will update when I find out more.

A little bit of personal news. As runners we are aware of our HR, either because of a monitor we run with or from trips to the doctors office. Well my dad who used to run and still works out was at the gym yesterday. He takes his HR before and after workouts to monitor things. He took it before his workout and got a reading of a RHR of 150! He thought something was wrong with the machine and went work out because he said he feels fine. After the workout it would not register anything. He got a few people to try and they got normal results. He immediately called his Dr and ended up getting a EKG (I think) which showed it was indeed 150 but luckily nothing major bad was taking place, other of course than the high HR. He is going back today and if its still high after the medication he has been put on will be admitted to be "shocked" to get the HR to come down. For my dad we could use a little pixie dust and prayers that everything is ok. Thanks and I will update when I find out more.

Holy crap!!

And here I was about to complain about my boot!

Sending some positive thoughts for you and your family!

Sending prayers for your family! It is great that your dad is active and remaining aware of his health so he noticed the issue.

Yikes! Sending positive thoughts and some slow heart beats his way!

Praying for him and y'all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter