The Running Thread - 2018

A little bit of personal news. As runners we are aware of our HR, either because of a monitor we run with or from trips to the doctors office. Well my dad who used to run and still works out was at the gym yesterday. He takes his HR before and after workouts to monitor things. He took it before his workout and got a reading of a RHR of 150! He thought something was wrong with the machine and went work out because he said he feels fine. After the workout it would not register anything. He got a few people to try and they got normal results. He immediately called his Dr and ended up getting a EKG (I think) which showed it was indeed 150 but luckily nothing major bad was taking place, other of course than the high HR. He is going back today and if its still high after the medication he has been put on will be admitted to be "shocked" to get the HR to come down. For my dad we could use a little pixie dust and prayers that everything is ok. Thanks and I will update when I find out more.

So glad he was smart enough to go to the doctor! Praying for good news :)

Ugh. The frigid temperatures have me really nervous for the 3M Half my best fiend and I are running in Austin on the 21st (its our substitute race since Light Side got cancelled). I can finally run today but haven’t been out since my 11 mile run Christmas Eve! I guess I’ll just see how it goes. I mean, we could decide to make this race our Virtual Star Wars Half and get double medals. But maybe I’ll just settle for finishing upright. So disappointed.

A little bit of personal news. As runners we are aware of our HR, either because of a monitor we run with or from trips to the doctors office. Well my dad who used to run and still works out was at the gym yesterday. He takes his HR before and after workouts to monitor things. He took it before his workout and got a reading of a RHR of 150! He thought something was wrong with the machine and went work out because he said he feels fine. After the workout it would not register anything. He got a few people to try and they got normal results. He immediately called his Dr and ended up getting a EKG (I think) which showed it was indeed 150 but luckily nothing major bad was taking place, other of course than the high HR. He is going back today and if its still high after the medication he has been put on will be admitted to be "shocked" to get the HR to come down. For my dad we could use a little pixie dust and prayers that everything is ok. Thanks and I will update when I find out more.

That's scary ... I'm so glad he went to get it checked out. I hope all turns out to be okay!

Question for those of you using Garmin products: I have an AppleWatch (series 2), and I love it for everything BUT running. I got some gift cards for Christmas that I was thinking of putting towards a Garmin in order to get some better running data as I head in to my spring half training cycle.

If I'm NOT going to use the watch for anything but running, would you recommend a 235? I know that I want the heart rate monitoring, so that takes the 230 out of the running. Or is there something better out there that I need to seriously consider? I know people love the Fenix, but if it isn't going to be my primary watch, is it worth the extra money?

Late chiming in but I did want to say I do have a 235, and I love it - it's so nice t not have a heart rate monitor, and I use it for more than running. It's accurate in spin and HIIT classes and other workouts, and I like that it links to Strava for me.

QOTD: Lets discuss training plans today. Specifically, how do you pick out which training plan to follow at any given time? Do you use one from a book, coach, or make your own? If you make your own, do you do research into other plans and use their ideas to develop yours?

I'm really bad at following a training plan - I always go in with guns blazing, but after about three weeks, I let myself find excuses (and then I hate myself on race day). For the two halfs I've done, I have used modified Runner's World plans, which were okay, but not great. One of my goals for 2018 is to become a better consistent runner -- not just one in a series of on/off, dependent on what race distance I'm running. I've thought about sending @DopeyBadger a PM to see if he can help me with a plan, but I know he's overwhelmed right now. Billy, can I go on the wait list?

@LSUlakes , hopefully everything is okay.

ATTQOTD: Since I started running I've followed the Galloway plan. My first 2 halfs, I slacked off on the weekend runs early on and had to modify the plan and omit the short weekend runs in order to get all the long runs done before the race. While I finished, I don't recommend this because training defined my life. I find training much less stressful when I have those short weekend runs to break up the week after week long distance runs.

When I cooked up the insane idea to run a half on just 3 weeks training, I used the Galloway principles I learned about gradual mileage increase combined with a 4 week training plan I found on the internet that called for running 6 days a week with easy runs and hard runs and long runs on the weekend. I made some tweaks to adjust it for 3 weeks and made sure to take the long runs easy and pay careful attention to my body during the runs to make sure I wasn't going too hard.

It took me years to learn that plans are closer to basic guidelines that if mostly followed will help you find success as opposed to a rigid set of rules that must be followed or else failure is guaranteed. I still use the Galloway plan as my base plan if you will, but have come to learn that missing a long run or having to shorten it for life reasons will not destroy my training provided my training has been otherwise fairly consistent leading up to the race.

I've thought about sending @DopeyBadger a PM to see if he can help me with a plan, but I know he's overwhelmed right now. Billy, can I go on the wait list?

Absolutely. Best to get the process started sooner rather than later. I try and put the plans back out based on a first come first served basis based on when a plan is actually ready to be written.

ATTQOTD (Monday): I have never run with a charity and would be a horrible fundraiser, but do many local races designed to raise money for a charity; like "Run Over Violence" raises money for the women's shelter in town.

ATTQOTD (Tues): I usually don't have muscle soreness after a run, even a marathon, because I take it easy. I have sore feet that afternoon, and my joints are often tender for a day. Active recovery is essential, so I try to keep moving. Of course the dilemma is that I'm tired and want to rest, but I need to keep moving!

ATTQOTD (Wed): You are never too old to start a fitness regimen. For me it was running, for others it may be something else, but fitness is important at all ages.

ATTQOTD (today): I make my own fitness/training plan at the beginning of every year. I fill in the races I plan to do and make sure I am ready for the distance. In 2012, I started with C25k, then C210k, then just added mileage to what I had been doing for 2013 TOT 10 miler.
Before my first half marathon (2014 "Donald") and subsequent races, I took Galloway's miles, but not his intervals (I just walked when I needed to), and modified it to MWF with a long run on Saturday. For both Dopey's, I gradually increased my weekday maintenance runs to 6-7 miles, and used Galloway's long run distances and Dopey sims on weekends. And I did start doing 2:1 intervals for distances over 1/2 marathon. EXCEPT both last year and this year, I was sick for at least one long run and got behind and ended up doing two 20 milers on the weekends that he had 23 and 26 miles scheduled. So my plan has been just to gradually increase mileage and stamina with no real concentration on speed work.

Prayers for your dad. Hope everything is all right.

ATTQOTD: Last year I used the Higdon Half-marathon, Novice 1 for princess. I am a run-walk-run person, so I just did the distances with intervals that were comfortable for me. I am using a modified version of that again, with the addition of some back to backs to prep for the challenge. I decided not to do the Galloway plans because I didn't like how long the longest runs were, and how many weeks of relatively long runs there are. I didn't feel like I had time for all of them.

@LSUlakes I hope your Dad gets some good news!

Trying to not get too behind, so here it goes:

QOTD: for those who have been running for a few years in the group, what single piece of advice would you have given to yourself when you first started out (if that was possible) that would have had the biggest impact? Would that advice change if you were giving it to someone else thats just starting out?

Stop relying on other people to determine your workout schedule. It's ok to do things on your own. This old habit definitely creeped back into my psyche along with my lack of running in 2017. Slowly but surely, I'm trying to get back over the mental part of this all over again.

If I'm NOT going to use the watch for anything but running, would you recommend a 235? I know that I want the heart rate monitoring, so that takes the 230 out of the running. Or is there something better out there that I need to seriously consider? I know people love the Fenix, but if it isn't going to be my primary watch, is it worth the extra money?

I am an Apple Watch/HR 235 double watch runner. lol. I just can't quit my Garmin; it's just so much more accurate. I only use it for being active (spin classes, running, etc.) and I wear both while running. Ha. I got the Apple Watch 3 this year and might sell the Garmin, but I have to see if it's consistent enough first.

QOTD: Lets discuss training plans today. Specifically, how do you pick out which training plan to follow at any given time? Do you use one from a book, coach, or make your own? If you make your own, do you do research into other plans and use their ideas to develop yours?

I never stuck to a training plan until this thread started. Something about checking in here and reading all of the fabulousness that you guys all do and it made me more motivated and accountable. Like a virtual running group. The training plan that worked for me was the MY ASICS Run Training app. It was the most customizable one that I've ever found (choose your number of days you want to run, move planned runs around on the schedule, etc.). Both of these things led me to my still stand half marathon PR!

I just got the latest update. His HR went down to 139 so the Dr increased his meds and sent him home for the weekend with another appointment on Monday. So, it seems like the meds are starting to work is what I am taking from this, and hopefully they will continue to do so and avoid hospital time altogether. Thanks for the prayers! :grouphug:

I sure hope he is ok. Sending pixie dust.

I just got the latest update. His HR went down to 139 so the Dr increased his meds and sent him home for the weekend with another appointment on Monday. So, it seems like the meds are starting to work is what I am taking from this, and hopefully they will continue to do so and avoid hospital time altogether. Thanks for the prayers! :grouphug:
So glad to hear preliminary good news.

ATTQOTD: I originally started out with Higdon for my first half and first full. Over the years, I've actually started to make it a bit of an adventure to try different training plans from different sources each year. So I have stacks of books from Higdon, FIRST, Hanson, Runners World, Maffetone, etc and I've learned a lot about the types of things that my body responds to, and the types of things that lead me toward injury. These days, I tend to find a new training plan that seems interesting, but then inevitably tweak it a bit if I know something is likely to cause me problems. However, no matter what I choose, I put the entire plan into a spreadsheet before I start and then try to see it through to the finish. That way I find out if there is something new that I may have missed in the past. Since Dopey is now over, I'm reading/hunting for a 1:40-1:45 half marathon plan for the start of May

Goal for this year is to keep up better and post more, so here goes.

I ran the following but never added my name to the list. Way too busy the last month or two to get on here much. I had no goals other than have fun, take it all in, see characters, and have fun, and it was my first half ever! My actual run times were't bad, I just stopped a lot along the way!
WDW 5k 51:05
WDW 10k 1:47:37
WDW half 3:28:33
I called this the Happy Challenge...Happy I didn't have to get up early one more day.

A few previous answers:

Charity. I ran the 5k and 10k with my brothers team from work with Team in Training. I am not one to ask for money so I just did a Facebook post every now and again fully intending to pay the difference myself. My brother's company donated quite a bit to each person so I didn't have to pay much myself. They offered free hotel for however many days you signed up for if you shared a room with another teammate. This is not for me and I traveled with family so they offered half price rooms you had to pay for yourself so that's what I did. Not too many perks other than that. A training plan I didn't use, race shirt, tent was nice pre race to stay out of the wind a bit, snacks. I did like that as we were running the coaches would talk to you and encourage you. Some stayed on the sidelines and asked for thumbs up if you were good, some ran with you a minute or two to see how you were doing. The encouragement was the best and gave me boosts of energy throughout. Not sure I would do it again but we shall see. I am starting to look into the possibility of trying for the marathon next year but not sure on the charity part.

Plans. I've only been running a year. I started with couch to 5k which was great. Then I moved to Galloway. For the half I kinda merged Galloway with Hidgon and kept modifying because of my work schedules.

Upcoming race. A local Deputy was killed on NYE in the line of duty. A local Officer's Wife managed to put this together in a matter of days to take place in less then a month, pretty impressive. All money will go towards the Deputy's family and the Fallen Officer Fund. No goals yet, that might change, might walk with some of my coworkers, might run, I have a few weeks to decide.

February 3 PrincessMickey:Back the Blue 5k:NG/NA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter