The Running Thread - 2018

OK, I am going to have to admit something... I am just not tech savvy. So, first, I have no social media account (which, that, I am very OK with - I could care less what someone I barely knew in 10th grade is doing at the moment...), but, second... I have never listened to a podcast. Quite honestly, I wouldn't even know where to go get one.

Yes, I'm out of touch... I know...

That was me 2 years ago when I started walking. DH downloaded the Stitcher app on to my phone. In the ‘free’ version I have about 25-40 episodes, depending on size, downloaded at a time. You can pick from lots of different podcast topics. What I like is that I can download the episodes when on WiFi, save the episodes and then listen off line.

Great Big Sea is awesome! I used to teach "When I'm Up" to kids at a summer camp I worked at many years ago!
High five all GBS fans! :) Love GBS... a former co-worker of my SO's originally from Newfoundland (who also taught us how to properly pronounce Newfoundland) got us into them back around 2000. We saw them in concert 3 or 4 times including on their last tour before breaking up (although I have heard from a Nova Scotia friend that they have played a local show or two up in St. John's since then).

I read about that last night - the tradeoff is it's REALLY REALLY flat. I cycle out that way a bunch when I'm in Orlando, and it's a nice area. The lake swim is really shallow too.

That's interesting re: the loops. I ran Orange blossom half in Haines City last March and it was just one loop. Seems that they could use that half course and avoid this. Great area though.

Currently 39° and with the 15MPH NW wind it feels like 33° here in CT. Geez, wasn't it just in the 80's and humid here last week? It really stinks there is no Fall/Spring seasons anymore. Oh well, got my winter hat and gloves for today's run. Bring it on!!
34°F here today which wouldn't be so bad except my furnace decided to take a sick day :(

Has anyone had a run that was just cursed? I was supposed to do 9 yesterday. Between my phone dying and having to clean up my daughter at school, I had to push it to today. Another call back to school for clean up duty, I decided “I’ll just run it on the treadmill” (vs the 20 min drive back home to run outside). Realize when I get to the Y I have no headphones and no fuel. That was a grueling 9 with a bottle of water I found in my car and an old pack of gummy fruit snacks :rotfl2:

Currently 39° and with the 15MPH NW wind it feels like 33° here in CT. Geez, wasn't it just in the 80's and humid here last week? It really stinks there is no Fall/Spring seasons anymore. Oh well, got my winter hat and gloves for today's run. Bring it on!!

34°F here today which wouldn't be so bad except my furnace decided to take a sick day :(

I feel you. It was 36 this morning in MA and we currently have no heat. It won't be restored till early November so definitely making for some chilly mornings/evenings.

Has anyone had a run that was just cursed? I was supposed to do 9 yesterday. Between my phone dying and having to clean up my daughter at school, I had to push it to today. Another call back to school for clean up duty, I decided “I’ll just run it on the treadmill” (vs the 20 min drive back home to run outside). Realize when I get to the Y I have no headphones and no fuel. That was a grueling 9 with a bottle of water I found in my car and an old pack of gummy fruit snacks :rotfl2:

:D Those days certainly happen. Good luck persevering though. Because of the shift, drop the 5 mile EA on Friday down to 3.5 mile EA. Want to include a little extra rest before the 3x1 T on Saturday.

I didn't have any podcasts to offer but wanted to thank you all for listing so many. Haven't been running since my last race but it's already time for my new training plan to start early next week. And these temps lead me to believe I'll have a lot of time on a treadmill to listen to these podcasts.

I have two modes with podcast listening while running.
A) I pay close attention to what they are saying and am entertained.
B) It becomes background white noise and my mind wanders and 10 min later I realize I'm listening to a podcast and have no idea what they were talking about.

I am not an SEC football fan by any means but LSU is winning despite that.
While I am more of a marching band fan, I agree.
{also, I'm a bit disappointed in WI. If the football players couldn't show up last weekend, can't the Badger Band?} And that is the end of my college football talk for 2018.

{also, I'm a bit disappointed in WI. If the football players couldn't show up last weekend, can't the Badger Band?} And that is the end of my college football talk for 2018.
WHAT?! The Badger band is the best band in the land.

does this chance guy have a completion percentage better than second-to-last in the conference? because that would help.

Don't bring your math-y stats into this discussion!!!! #NoMath

I am not an SEC football fan by any means but LSU is winning despite that.

Look ... if they lose, no big deal - I'll buy hurricanes and beignets for everyone.
**Offer redeemable only in New Orleans at a future date and time of my choosing **

If they win? It's just because Sweet Baby College Football Jesus loves all of us and wants us to be happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter