The Running Thread - 2018

Fun Friday QOTD: Keeping with music and running theme to end the week here, what song gets you "pumped" up before a race or just a normal run?

For normal training runs I have a Disneyland music album I listen to.

For pumping me up for a race, I use the same playlist as snowboarding which contains stuff like “Force Fed” by the Genitorurers and “I’m Gonna” by Pinky Tescadero’s WhiteKnuckle AF. If you don’t have any idea who they are, I wouldn’t go looking.

I am for no logical reason terrified of 10 miles. I have gone 8ish miles for the last 2 months and been fine, and taken my kids to the zoo afterwards so really fine. But the thought of 10 has me crawling back into bed telling myself I will never do it.
Has anyone else seen a distance as unconquerable? Did you find a way to get past it?

I am for no logical reason terrified of 10 miles. I have gone 8ish miles for the last 2 months and been fine, and taken my kids to the zoo afterwards so really fine. But the thought of 10 has me crawling back into bed telling myself I will never do it.
Has anyone else seen a distance as unconquerable? Did you find a way to get past it?

I've seen every single distance as unconquerable. Which is why I try to get as close to race distance as possible before the race. For me, the way I got past it was by approaching things slowly, especially the really scary distances. Rather than trying to do something like go from 8 to 10 or even 8 to 9, I went from 8 to 8.25 or 8.5 and then slowly increased from there. Going from 9.5 or 9.75 to 10 is hard, but when you're that close, it stops feeling insurmountable. Or at least it did for me.
That said ... this worked for me because I had over a year between when I ran my first 10K and my first half, so I had the time to increase my distance very slowly. This approach doesn't work when you're short on time.

One idea is changing the units:
If you go to km, you will be a bit confused and just keep going... That worked for me when at Disney as the markers are in miles and I am used to km.
You can also use time as a unit for a while. Add 10 minutes (or 5) to the time it takes you for an 8 miles. Then, the training or the week later add another 10 minutes... Eventually, as @SarahDisney said, you are going to look at the distance you ran and decide to complete the 10 miles. That worked well when I trained DD last Spring. In one of her long run, I asked “Do I stop you at the said time or do you want to run a few minutes more and complete the distance?” She choose the later and it gave her a real confidence boast.
Edit: Also, if possible, register to a race for that distance. That, in itself, is motivation for me. And, I try not to complete the distance before race day, then it becomes a true celebration when I do.

Last edited:

Ran a couple of nice easy short runs this week after my first M last weekend. I felt fine today but my heart rate was about 20 bpm faster than usual during almost all the run. I ran 4 at easy LR pace today and my HR actually dropped during the final fourth mile, but still higher than usual. Have any of you experienced this?

Yes!

You're fine. Everyone is different, but it takes a little while to get back to normal.

Ran a couple of nice easy short runs this week after my first M last weekend. I felt fine today but my heart rate was about 20 bpm faster than usual during almost all the run. I ran 4 at easy LR pace today and my HR actually dropped during the final fourth mile, but still higher than usual. Have any of you experienced this?
This happened to me after my first marathon early this year. Plus my resting heart rate went up about 7 bpm. I think it is just recovery.

At the end of one race, I used the voice control on my phone for that. "Play 'Gonna Fly Now'."

(For those unfamiliar with it:
)
Love it! I myself like Owl City ( When Can I See You Again and Good Time) and TobyMac (Feel It). Love some of the other ideas though. I am thinking the “Hero” song from the Footloose soundtrack might pop up on my list this week.

Baltimore Marathon is done and in the books. Since this was really a training run for me and the course is hilly, I was just hoping to get under 3:45 and avoid any injury. Happily, I was able to do both. The start is just outside of Orioles Park at Camden Yards, which is a cool stadium even if you're not a huge baseball fan. Due to long lines at the restrooms, I got into my corral literally 10 seconds before the start. I found the 3:45 pace group and settled in for the morning. Right from the start, the race goes into a gradual climb to the highest point of the race at Mile 3, so the hills start immediately. We ran through the Maryland Zoo, and the zoo staff had several animals out for viewing/petting, which was nice. It reminded me of running through some of the backstage areas at Animal Kingdom during Disney races. By this point, I was finding the 3:45 group to be a little too large, so I picked up the pace a bit for more elbow room on the course, and set off on my own. Following the zoo, we ran back downhill toward the Inner Harbor just in time for the half marathon start. The marathoner's course ran along the start corrals for the half runners, and we got a lot of enthusiastic cheering from them as they were waiting to begin. I hit the half split at about 1:49:40, a bit ahead of schedule, but with a little luck I thought I might be able to hold the faster pace. At about Mile 16, the two courses merged, but the half runners were spread out enough for crowding not to be too much of an issue, and it was nice to have more company. I chatted with a few other full marathoners, one of whom was doing the Atlantic City Marathon the following day as training for a 50-miler in November! He was on pace for a PR at Baltimore, so hopefully he had a little left in the tank for his Sunday full. The finish was back at the half start in the Inner Harbor, which was nice because it was downhill for the final mile or so and the crowd support was really good. I pushed the pace a little on the final stretch and was able to have the tiniest of negative splits and finish under 3:40. Overall, a decent race. Charm City isn't a big or fast course, but it has its charms and goes through some of the historic parts of Baltimore. The volunteers were all great and the Inner Harbor finish is nice, so if you're looking for a Maryland race, it's worth a look. They even offer a fun two-race challenge, the Baltimoron-a-thon, with a 7:30 5K before the 9:45 half.

For this race, I also experimented with my nutrition some, taking no gels with me. At Mile 10 I grabbed some GU Chews at an aid station just in case, and ate two of those. I had another at about Mile 15, and had Gatorade at approximately every other water stop. Overall, I estimate my calorie intake to have been between 100-150 calories overall, and I didn't feel any differently in the final miles than in fulls in which I took in more. I may just go with a few chews and sports drink in future races.

Final result: 3:39:09, 224 of 2325
On to Marine Corps Marathon next weekend.

Race Report: Tuna Run 200 Relay
The Tuna Run 200 is a 203.9 mile relay race running from Raleigh to Atlantic Beach, NC. The race is split up into 36 legs of 2-10 miles each and teams consist of up to 12 runners. This is my second year running the race. My team, "Tuna Gives Me the Runs", was a bit short with 11 runners, but that was a significant improvement over last year when we only had 9.5 (one limited by injury). That made this year’s mileage totals a bit more manageable and I was "on the hook" for ~17.7 miles when we started.

Last year, I was impressed with the race organization and on course support and this year was no different. For a 200+ mile race running through multiple counties and rural towns, course set up was a monstrous task. The route was very well marked with signage to both indicate the route to the runners and alert drivers to the presence of runners on the roads. Every turn was clearly marked with signage and at night the turn signs had strobes to ensure they weren't missed. In addition, the race handed out temporary tattoos with route details for each leg.

The exchange points between the legs were all well stocked with bathrooms and space to park and nap. The churches used as exchange points were very welcoming, as well, offering everything from free meals to bonfires to the opportunity to stretch out and nap on pews. We felt welcomed and supported throughout the course.

In order to give teams the best chance to finish before the course close and after party, starts were staggered for the race. As one of the slower teams, we were in the 5:45am starting wave Friday morning. My first leg (#10/36) was a relatively short 4.3 miler at 2:00 on Friday afternoon. It was starting to warm up in the sun by that point, but at 68deg it was significantly cooler than last year’s race and WAY cooler than the summer temps I’ve been training in. Pacing was a big question mark going into the race. I had no idea how I was going to feel after Chicago two weeks ago and I was planning for a conservative 10-11min/mile pace. When things started, though, I felt good and settled into a much faster pace (8:36/mi) than I was expecting and cruised through to the next exchange point. At the exchange points you handed the "baton", one of those flexible reflective wraps, to the next runner and the race officials logged the exchange time.

After that, it was a pretty short wait until my next leg at 5:15. It was slightly warmer for this run and I felt the effect of pushing the pace in the first leg through the 7.4 miles of Leg #14/36 at a 9:32/mi clip. In the previous year’s race, we pretty much went exchange point to exchange point as a full team and rest opportunities were at a premium. We learned from that mistake and this year our two vehicles had dedicated occupants and legs were grouped by vehicle. After a couple more legs, ending at a church with a bonfire and big potluck spread, we were done for the day and drove on ahead to our morning start and got a solid-ish night’s sleep in the van.

Saturday morning our legs kicked off again around 7:30am with Leg#30. I wasn’t scheduled to run again until Leg#33. Our runner for Leg#31 wasn’t feeling great heading out for a long 8.4 miler, so we drove out to roughly the halfway point to wait for her and I got ready, just in case. As we passed her on the way out, things didn’t look so good and sure enough, as she found us mid-Leg she gave the cut sign and I took off to finish the last 4.5 miles of the leg. Things still felt pretty good and I knocked it out at 9:24/mi.

The down side of hitting that substitute leg hard was that it was less than a 90 minute turnaround to my final scheduled 5.9 mile Leg#33. I took the baton and immediately felt the effects of the previous day’s paces and pushing it on the substitute leg. I probably hadn’t eaten enough that morning, either. My legs were dead and I fought to hold onto what I could until the end, bringing it in at 10:26/mi. With the addition of the substitute leg, I ended up leading the team in mileage at 22.1 miles.

We closed out the last couple of legs to finish the 203.9 Miles somewhere in the neighborhood of 31:45. That’s a huge improvement over our time of 34:57 from last year! Beer, barbecue and tuna sashimi on the beach for all at the finish!

We'll find out a bit later where we finished overall, but this is a run for the experience. I cannot recommend this race highly enough as an experience. I hope to run it again in the future. I'm a solo runner by nature and this race gives me a great feeling of being part of something bigger. A true collective effort. The camaraderie and mutual support is fantastic!

Thank you for reading this far, if you're still with me! Especially if you read it all last year, too! I know it's a long post, but I did have 203.9 miles to cover. This race once again goes down as one of my best running experiences and I hope everyone gets to try something like it some day.

92ECB53A-4A14-40DD-98DA-55224BED6EEE.jpeg

9AEE1959-3E71-4484-AA86-A268FB37DB8F.jpeg

Grand Rapids Marathon:

This was my 4th marathon and second time running this race. I hadn’t actually “raced” a marathon in two years, so I was excited to see how this played out with the gains in fitness I’ve made in that time. The goal: a sub 5:00, but really anything under 5:23 would be a PR.

Miles 1-3: Started out @ 10:30 pace. The weather was absolutely perfect - cloudy, temps between 35 & 40, and no wind.

Miles 4-6: Worked my way up to 10:15 pace, feeling good.

Miles 7-15: Now running @ marathon tempo pace (10:00), a few rolling hills through this section, but still feeling good.

Miles 16-20: My left shin/calf started giving me some trouble and pace slowed back to 10:30/10:45. My hamstrings also felt very tight, which isn’t something I’ve experienced before. Then one of my running partners dropped back (hip issue) and my other running partner forged ahead - I was running solo from mile 19.

Miles 21-finish: Halfway through mile 21 I had to stop to pee and after that I really struggled to get moving again. I took my last gel, the only one I brought with caffeine, hoping that would give me a boost, and it did, but I was still struggling to maintain an 11:15 pace at that point. My family was waiting for me at mile 23 and that gave me the mental boost I needed to focus on finishing. I managed to pick up the pace for that last mile knowing I was going to reach my goal.

Official time and PR - 4:40:40 - that’s over 40 minutes off my previous PR!!

Here’s a pic of me and my family at the finish.

2578310B-43AD-49FE-9ECE-A84B63849B23.jpeg [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Atlanta 10-miler:
I’ve done this one 5 times, last year only 6 days after having to have IV fluids because of a stomach virus and barely finishing, so it was all good this year!
It was COLD, about 45* at start time with 10-11 mph winds. I know you Yankees think I’m crazy, but considering it was in the upper 80’s, feels like 90, through all last week, it was a shock to my system. Luckily we stayed in a hotel at the start line at Atlantic Station and arrived in the C-“wave” at 7:10 for a 7:15 race, so no Disney standing around.
Atlanta is hilly so the race is challenging. DH paced me at a run/walk interval of 2:00/:30 which went well. It’s a nice loop-route that starts just off 17th Street, down historic Peachtree Street and DOWN (yay!) Cardiac Hill, through the Peachtree Hills area to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and Piedmont Park and across to return up Peachtree Street and back into Atlantic Station via 17th. I was feeling good enough in the last few miles that we skipped a few walk breaks on some downhills and sprinted into the finish. Time was a little under 1:50, I think. Not fast, but I’ll take it. I’ll post official finishing time later. I considered it a nice warm up for W&D!

Grand Rapids Marathon:

This was my 4th marathon and second time running this race. I hadn’t actually “raced” a marathon in two years, so I was excited to see how this played out with the gains in fitness I’ve made in that time. The goal: a sub 5:00, but really anything under 5:23 would be a PR.

Miles 1-3: Started out @ 10:30 pace. The weather was absolutely perfect - cloudy, temps between 35 & 40, and no wind.

Miles 7-15: Now running @ marathon tempo pace (10:00), a few rolling hills through this section, but still feeling good.

Miles 16-20: My left shin/calf started giving me some trouble and pace slowed back to 10:30/10:45. My hamstrings also felt very tight, which isn’t something I’ve experienced before. Then one of my running partners dropped back (hip issue) and my other running partner forged ahead - I was running solo from mile 19.

Miles 21-finish: Halfway through mile 21 I had to stop to pee and after that I really struggled to get moving again. I took my last gel, the only one I brought with caffeine, hoping that would give me a boost, and it did, but I was still struggling to maintain an 11:15 pace at that point. My family was waiting for me at mile 23 and that gave me the mental boost I needed to focus on finishing. I managed to pick up the pace for that last mile knowing I was going to reach my goal.

View attachment 359910 [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Way to crush it!!! Wooooo!
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Yes, happens to me every time. I believe it normally takes my HR about 42 days to return to normal post-marathon.

How long does it take for me to recover from a marathon?

Mr. PaDC here. 2018 Hershey Half Marathon complete. So much wind. Will work on a full report later. But the headline is:

New PR! 2:08:54

@LSUlakes - tagging result.

@DopeyBadger plan #235 complete.

I'm going to go spend the rest of today with the family.

Congrats!

Grand Rapids Marathon:

YES! YES! YES! Well executed and a wonderful performance! Way to go!

I feel you. It was 36 this morning in MA and we currently have no heat. It won't be restored till early November so definitely making for some chilly mornings/evenings.

Guess I know what part of the state you live in now. :rolleyes:

I feel like I should start watching college football, but don’t have a team to root for. My college was tiny and I don’t even know if there was a football team.

ETA: I just looked and they do have one. The Assumption Greyhounds.

I know Assumption. Knew a few people who played for the team. I went to Worcester State so right down the road.

I went to Assumption too!

Also been known to get pretty hype to the Fantasmic music #disgeek

So I listen to spotify for myself, but I also play kids music for my daughter. So when I listen to any kind of "reccommended for you" or "daily mix" playlists it's a healthy dose of pump me up running music with the random my little pony or barbie soundtrack song thrown in. It's pretty dang hilarious and jarring to have one of those pop up in my ears. TBH though some of those Barbie songs are BANGERS!
Fantasmic is my alarm tone in the morning. I LOVE Fantasmic.

Grand Rapids Marathon:

40 minute PR, AWESOME!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter