The Running Thread - 2019

School started Monday for my kids (8th & 10 grade 😭). It will take us a couple weeks to get into the new routine. For the most part I’ll be up by 5am, run, shower, help with online classes for the boy, drive the boy to school for his elective classes then go to the gym.

Took my oldest to Rolla, Mo last weekend for him to start college.....YIKES

Youngest does not start 8th grade until Aug 26th. Most of the others school Districts in the Houston area start this week.

School does not change my running schedule at all.

Is it "Back to School Time" for you yet and how does that alter your running schedule?
The weather is cooling a bit in the morning and it is not bright quite as early, so I can see fall coming! The cooler air makes me antsy as I am a bit injured and know I should not run, but it is very tempting!
I am hoping the return to school (after Labor Day here) will bring more routine into the home front and I can spend less energy figuring out where the kids need to be when and what needs to be in the lunch and backpack. Summer mornings have been harder to get anyone out of bed as we all want to stay up and soak in the sunlit fun and then there is so much to do when the kids go to sleep. I am sad this has resulted in fewer early morning trail runs than previous years, but there has been much joy to replace it. I am hopeful I can still squeeze a few easy trail runs into September and October before the ankle breaking holes are covered with slippery fall leaves.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm.....very quiet this week.

Big t-storm and rain last night but I ran anyway. Later my dogs decided to chase a skunk out of our yard, through the neighborhood, and across the highway. My dogs are usually well-behaved but for some reason they were naughty last night and stinky today.

My kids are officially back to school this week (college, high school) and I hope that opens up my schedule for more running opportunities this fall.
Is it "Back to School Time" for you yet and how does that alter your running schedule?

I don't have kids, but I teach at a university. We start the week before Labor Day. Things are definitely starting to get crazy as all the faculty rush to finish class prep! The students will be coming back next week, and so campus will be much, much busier. It's always kind of nice to have a "fresh start" with the new school year, but it means I'm going to be perpetually busy.

For running, I will have less flexibility in my schedule, but I've got a training plan that I should be able to fit in.

The older kids head back to college either this Friday (older son, going via a summer camp he's working at for a week) or next Friday (daughter). Younger son is partly homeschooled, partly online classes, and partly community college this year, so his classes have already started (online), are registered for tomorrow and start Monday after next (community college), or start whenever my wife is ready for them (homeschooled).

In more fun news, booked hotel for a January DL trip. I was going to feel awfully guilty going to Galaxy's Edge in February and/or April when most of the family hadn't had a chance to go, so this way we all get to check it out together.

My kids went back to school on 8/1, my wife had to report for preplanning on 7/23, so our summer has been over for a while.

Today was the hottest run of the year for me, T+D of 171. Thankfully, supposed to get a reprieve beginning tomorrow, and this weekend will be in Greenville, SC for a soccer tournament, and dew points about 10 degrees lower than what I have been running in lately.

My kids start on the 26th (6th, 8th, & 10th grades). They just got their schedules today and they have orientations over the next week. We will probably do some school shopping this weekend.

My running schedule won't change though. I am up at 4am to get my runs in before work year round anyways. The only thing that'll be different is instead of peaceful mornings, I'll be yelling and hurrying them out the door so they don't miss the bus! :laughing:

My oldest starts kindergarten next Wednesday. Our daycare provider was off for the past six weeks, so I have been working from home with two kids and trying to run whenever I catch a breath.

With one going back to daycare and one in school all day now (she did half days last year for preK), I am so hoping to get in more and longer early morning (ok, like 9am) runs outside. I am so tired of the treadmill, and I keep cutting my runs short because of it.

All three kids are in school (2 kindergarteners and a 3rd grader) now and it is glorious! My workouts/runs have primarily been after I drop them off. I can still wake up early and run but can’t get more than three miles in before my husband leaves for work.

Hmmmmm.....very quiet this week.

Big t-storm and rain last night but I ran anyway. Later my dogs decided to chase a skunk out of our yard, through the neighborhood, and across the highway. My dogs are usually well-behaved but for some reason they were naughty last night and stinky today.

My kids are officially back to school this week (college, high school) and I hope that opens up my schedule for more running opportunities this fall.
I go back on Monday and my daughter on Wednesday. Going back to school should at least get us on a consistent running schedule. Right now we are all over the place getting in little runs where we can.

I have a 16 month old(corrected to 14), so no school. The school here started soon. They start early here and finish in June, because in addition to winter break and spring break they get Sundance off, 1, because the high school auditorium is a film venue, and 2)I assume so teachers can wait tables/work events and make extra money.

Back to school exhaustion has hit our house. My two big kids started on Monday. 3rd grade and kindergarten. I miss my buddies but they are having a blast!

As far as running goes, I'm back at it. My hamstring/knee are feeling a lot better. Whew. I tried out a new running group this morning (at 5:00 AM) and it was nice. Since I have to get kids ready for school, I'll try to join them a few days a week and then I can be back home to get them ready and drop them off at school. Once it cools down, I can run after school drop off.

I have a 16 month old(corrected to 14), so no school. The school here started soon. They start early here and finish in June, because in addition to winter break and spring break they get Sundance off, 1, because the high school auditorium is a film venue, and 2)I assume so teachers can wait tables/work events and make extra money.

It's always interesting to see what regional differences there are. Your schools get Sundance off. Where I grew up in western PA, everyone got "doe day" and "buck day" off (first days of the hunting seasons). I went to college/grad in the Boston area, and there they get a break over Christmas and New Year's, spring break tied to Easter, and another week-long break in February (? if I remember right) that was for everyone to go skiing, at least historically. This was for the public schools, not necessarily college/grad.

My university schedule is very compact. In fall, we get Labor Day off and Wed, Thu, Fri for Thanksgiving, and that's it. (No Columbus Day or Veterans' Day, for example.)

In the spring, we start after MLK day in January and get only a week of spring break off - and spring break is always exactly in the middle of the semester and not associated with Easter. No days off for anything related to Easter, and no Presidents' Day. (I remember when we were in Boston getting Patriots' Day off, of course!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter