The Running Thread - 2019

The kids started school this past Monday. And, this year they're both in middle school, so one bus time!! We'll have at least one year of that. So we (the hubs and I run together) just have to get up, run and be back by 8:30 am. Totally doable given how hot it is right now.

@LSUlakes , can you add these races for me? Track Shack Fanatic running season has begun!
Aug 17 - QueenFernando - Celebration of Running 5k (38:00 / N/A)
Sept 14 - QueenFernando - Battle of the Bands 5k (37:00 / N/A)
Oct 27 - QueenFernando - U Can Finish 5mile (NG / NA)
Nov 2 - QueenFernando - Wine & Dine 10k (NG / NA)
Nov 3 - QueenFernando - Wine & Dine Half Marathon (NG / NA)
Dec 7 - QueenFernando - Orlando Half Marathon (TBD / NA)

School has affected our commutes more than exercise schedules. But with school starting, at least our breeder was able to take Gantu out for training & ended up testing him for Urban Canine Good Citizen for me as there is only one tester in the city the time of year (Petsmart does it once a year in January) He passed! We'll go for a run together tomorrow if the rain behaves as our backyard is currently a lake.

Our kids start school next week, but XC practice has started this week. The kids go to the same school and our son is driving so as we get into the school year DW has a little bit more free time.

DW's health issues have gotten a little bit worse though so any free-time I would have gained from the school year starting has been filled with Dr's appointments and stuff like that.

Happy Friday everyone. Almost weekend time!

I tend to stay motivated and maintain better running habits when I am signed up for a race or two. Otherwise, I find myself losing focus on thinking about naps instead of running. So my sorta-fun FRIDAY question of the day would be:

WHAT IS YOUR NEXT RUNNING EVENT, WHEN IS IT, AND WHY ARE YOU RUNNING IT?

ANSWER: The Lederhosen Half Marathon, September 28th. New event for me. Looks like a fun event with a great after party (pretzels, beer garden!) in Newark, Delaware. I had a goal of running both a marathon and a half marathon in 11 different states. Delaware and South Carolina are the last two states that I need to complete the quest.

DoLittle Half Marathon on 9/22. I've never run this specific race, but have run on this course before (in December). It's my absolute favorite course. Paved bike path with an out and back. Very gentle uphill for first half and then the same gentle downhill back. Relatively straight as well so almost always comes back at 13.11 miles. Not expecting the weather to be "PR" type, but I just want to see where I'm at after the first 12 weeks of Ironman training towards Disney 2020.

Since it looks like our Tuna Run team has fallen apart for this season, my next race will most likely be the Space Coast Marathon on Dec 1st. I'm pushing hard for one last sub-4:00 attempt on this one, but will be happy with a PR (sub-4:18). Last year's Chicago Marathon left such a sour taste in my mouth I want to do a max effort marathon to feel better about my PR. After that it will be on to Dopey for a fun time.

SFFQOTD:
Prairie Fire Marathon. It’s a local marathon and pretty flat. They changed the course this year and it is now two loops (not my favorite), but the previous start line area is under heavy construction. This is my goal race for the fall, before I run the rest of my fall races at whatever feels comfortable. Hoping the weather is good, and I can get that sub-4 hour time.

ETA: This race is the second weekend of October.

Last edited:

Bridge to Bridge 12k, San Francisco, a week from Sunday.

Why? I've been hearing about it for years - a radio station I used to listen to was one of the sponsors. Apparently, Sports Illustrated named it "America's Most Beautiful Race". And since I did Bay to Breakers earlier this year, I've been pondering doing the full set of 4 "San Francisco Originals" races - Bay to Breakers, Bridge to Bridge, SF Marathon, and Giant Race SF.

And fit in a good open spot in my schedule, at least until my daughter decided to add Summer Breeze from a couple weeks ago.

Attqotd: tomorrow. Mid-Mountain Marathon. It’s the third and final leg of the triple trail challenge. Starts at Deer Valley and finishes at the base of the ski jumps at the Olympic Park which is where my first race of the season started. Why am i running? My plan for my 40th year was to cap it by revisiting the marathon distance for the first time in over a decade and do it at WDW. I decided to add in some local races and get out into nature while I was at it, and now I’ve dropped the Disney race.

ATTQOTD: Tomorrow. Lakebottom 5k (race number three of our Summer Series for the local running club). I am running because it is part of the series, I'd love to PR but I am not sure that is in the cards since we have been under an extreme heat warning since Sunday. I haven't ran outside since then because it has just been unbearably hot and humid. We will see what happens!

ATTQOTD: My next race is The Philly 10K on 8/26. This’ll be my first time running it. It should be pretty fun as it goes through parts of the city that most of the other major races here don’t. My next major race is the Ocean City (NJ) Half-Marathon On 9/29. If the weather is nice I am aiming for a PR & my first sub 2hr half-marathon.

ATTQOTD:

Funny you should ask. I made a spur of the moment decision to run a 5K tomorrow.

@LSUlakes

8/17- @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Awesome 80s 5k (24:59 / N/A)
Race start is late, 9:00AM. T+D will be around 150. Not sure the sub 25 is going to happen in the heat, but I'll throw it out there to keep me motivated.

Why am I running?
I'm stupid
It was an excuse to get out of a long run in the heat
Pizza and beer

ATTQOTD: 9/14, The Savannah Sunburn Half-Marathon. Why? Because it is the weekend before my official marathon training starts, so I figured a fun way to start things off. Not racing it for time, just a fast training run.

In other news, I officially signed up for the marathon today, so might as well add it to the list @LSUlakes:

12/14 - AntimonyER - Kiawah Island Marathon (3:04:59 / NA)

I also signed up for the 2020 Yellowstone Bison Double today (5K/HM). Super excited for that race!

ATTQOTD: 9/14, The Savannah Sunburn Half-Marathon. Why? Because it is the weekend before my official marathon training starts, so I figured a fun way to start things off. Not racing it for time, just a fast training run.

In other news, I officially signed up for the marathon today, so might as well add it to the list @LSUlakes:

12/14 - AntimonyER - Kiawah Island Marathon (3:04:59 / NA)

I also signed up for the 2020 Yellowstone Bison Double today (5K/HM). Super excited for that race!
That’s the one in West Yellowstone? I looked into it since it’s a short drive away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter