The Running Thread - 2019

Tacoma Narrows Half - Race Recap

This morning I ran the Tacoma Narrows Half Marathon. It was my third time running this race which is probably my favorite hometown course! The course begins on the runway of the Tacoma Narrows Airport in Gig Harbor.

You run across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, twin 510’ suspension bridges that run between Gig Harbor and Tacoma.

The only big hill on this course is just across the bridge at about mile 4. It’s a doozy and gave me my slowest mile of the race (11:50). While it is nice to get the big hill over with at the start, the affects stayed with me the remainder of the race. Every small rolling hill gave me flashbacks!

Just before mile 9, you run a lap through Chaney Stadium, home of the Tacoma Rainiers (a la Rainnnierrr Beerrr - bonus points if you get the reference). The Jumbotron shows runners as they enter the stadium. It’s a fun detour from the neighborhoods and freeways.

Speaking of freeways, long stretches of the course parallel highway 16. But, I do enjoy the section that passes Allenmore Golf Course.

Finally at mile 11 you begin a downhill decent into downtown Tacoma and the finish line!

The 2018 Tacoma Narrows Half is my half marathon PR (2:22:07). I was hoping to improve upon that time and, even better, break 2:20. But, that hill really wiped me out and I didn’t quite make it. I finished in 2:22:57. At least I wasn’t too far behind.

8/17 - CDKG - Tacoma Narrows Half (2:22:06 / 2:22:57)

No races scheduled for me. I am having a philosophical/pragmatic/whatever kind of internal discussion on whether I feel like racing anymore. My PR days are behind me, and I never have run races in volume, so I'm sort of questioning what's the point.

Anyway, I ran today. The goal for today's run......Run to Woodward Dream Cruise, find a car that was made the year I was born, run home....Model A? Too old. The Studebaker? No, but what a front end! The ubiquitous Chevy Bel Air? Close, but not quite. In the end, I didn't find any 58's....but who can say no to a little red Corvette (1960)?

Model.jpgStudebaker.jpgBel Air.jpgVette.jpg

My last two long runs were in cooler weather - just got lucky with the only cool mornings falling on Sundays both weeks. Well, today was a more typical summer morning, and I suffered out there. Finished my 12 miles, but it was TOUGH.

I will be back in the South for 5 weeks beginning Labor Day weekend, so I need to get used to this. :scared:

Habanero Hundred race report(on my birthday): The Habanero Hundred is a different kind of trail race in Central Texas in the middle of August that starts at noon. There are many distances that you can run. 100 mile, 100k, 50k, 30k, 20k, 10k, 100 M relay, and 100 K relay. This year, my running club had a whole bunch of runners doing a variety of the different races. The race itself is run on one 6.1 mile loop that has next to no shade and a whole lot of sand. At noon, the relays and the 100m and 100k runners started, and the rest started at 12:15. This is the third year I have run the 100k relay (2nd with the same team), and this time around I had the 4th and 9th legs..

My first leg started just before 3pm, and the temp in the shade was 99 degrees, so mucho hotter in the sun, and on the sand. This race is set to be difficult. As I was running my leg, the runners doing the non-relay distances were all pretty much walking along the trail in the middle of the afternoon. The trials are pretty non-technical, and fairly wide track, so easy to pass the other racers. I felt kinda guilty when the folks were telling me good job, since I was just doing a single loop, and they were going to be out for many more hours. After the mile 3 aid station, there was a good .75 mile hill (gentle incline) that had absolutely no shade. I ended up walking a good chunk of the last 3 miles to "try" and save myself for the second leg. My first lap was a 1:14:19, by far, my slowest lap around the loop, and I was happy with it!

My 2nd leg started just before 8pm, and at sunset. The temps were still about 90, but did not feel as hot, with the sun lower. Most of the 10 and 20k and 30k folks had finished, so there was not as many folks on the trails during this lap, but there were many more runners than in previous years. It was much different running the last half of the lap in the dark. Made for a much different experience, and certainly for me, harder. Lap time was a 1:07:45, not as fast as I was hoping for, but still happy.

Our team took 2nd place in the relay in 10hours 12 minutes, about 30 minutes faster than last year, and over 2 hours behind first place. That team was also from my running club, and they finished in under 8 hours....

Of the 3 years doing the relay, this year was the hardest, but with so many runners out there this year, it was a blast to sit and talk most of the day. I do think there may be better things to do to celebrate my birthday.

Ok everyone, I need some crowdsourced advice. I need a new hydration scheme. My Fuel Belt is on its last legs after 13 years. Looking for thoughts on handheld and waist packs, particularly Osprey & Nathan. And.....GO!
I swear by my amphipod insulated 12oz handheld bottles. I love that I don't need to grip them at all: the ergonomic shape just sits on my hand perfectly. I switch hands every half mile to evenly carry the weight. 12oz isn't much, though, I realize: I live somewhere that has access to public drinking water within a couple miles of everywhere I run, so I'm able to refill as needed.

Ok everyone, I need some crowdsourced advice. I need a new hydration scheme. My Fuel Belt is on its last legs after 13 years. Looking for thoughts on handheld and waist packs, particularly Osprey & Nathan. And.....GO!
Have you looked at any of the vests? Your post had me looking at the Salamon Skins. I've got a buddy that really likes that. The ones with the long bottle straws so you don't have to pull the bottles out seem interesting, but I worry about getting hot on long runs.

No races scheduled for me. I am having a philosophical/pragmatic/whatever kind of internal discussion on whether I feel like racing anymore. My PR days are behind me, and I never have run races in volume, so I'm sort of questioning what's the point.

Your post made me wonder, when people hit that point how many switch to age related PR's to keep the motivation going?

WHAT IS YOUR NEXT RUNNING EVENT, WHEN IS IT, AND WHY ARE YOU RUNNING IT?

I've got my first 10K this Saturday! I started back running earlier this year, and have only ever done 5K distances and under. We went to WDW for spring break with another family, and that husband was running the Star Wars 10K, and I was jealous I couldn't sign up. So...here we are a few months later and I've been training for my first 10K for about 11 weeks. My buddy from the WDW trip is running it with me, though he'll be a good 15 minutes faster (at least!). 😁

And, since I finally registered a few days ago, I suppose I should put this up for you @LSUlakes:

August
24 - echamp404 - Democracy Dash 10K at Jamestown Island (1:15 | N/A)

I have a Nathan Trailmix 2-bottle waistpack, which replace an old Nathan waistpack. I like it because: The holsters make it easy to remove and replace a bottle without looking/futzing around. The pocket is big enough to carry my phone (my old one couldn't) and other items as well, if needed. I have found a technique to snug the belt and fold the straps securely, so it doesn't bounce (although even my old one was good for that). If you are considering a waistpack, I would definitely check it out.

Your post made me wonder, when people hit that point how many switch to age related PR's to keep the motivation going?

Oh, I did that a year or so ago, and for a self-competitive person (ahem, me) it made me feel better. I haven't lost the motivation to run, just to race. I also tend to follow training even when not racing because I like the structure.

I'm 29 (twice). I don't count my prehistoric races. Back when there was no internet, there was no permanent record of a race. I have a 5K and half PR that I ignore, mainly because I don't remember exactly what they were. My 10K and full PRs are pretty recent.

Ignoring the prehistoric PRs, I feel like I might still have a PR or 2 in me. So not quite at the point to switch to age PRs, but I fully understand it. I do spend more time looking at the 'Age Percentage' ranking in a race, and sorting by it if that is an option.

I am now in my 50s. My records from my youth are totally unreachable now. For instance, my fastest mile is 4:34, recorded in a race when I was 22 years old. But I don't have new PRs that I track. My PRs are still my PRs. I just understand that those times are no longer possible, which allows me to relax and just enjoy the sport.

For motivation, I remember the times in my life when I was physically unable to run. That has been enough for me

ETA - I have wiped all of my PRs from Garmin Connect, and I wipe them again every year in January. Why? To avoid the lunatic inside of me who can't help but compete against those times.

I only started running in 2015 (at 37) so all of my times are from middle age. I'm still growing as a runner, so I'm still shooting for PRs at this point.

This is me, I started running at 27 (now 31) so I think I still have a good amount of PRs in me...I definitely like the concept of age-based PRs though and will keep that in mind for the future.

I've never been one to focus too much on times, but during/after marathon training I really wish I would have raced a half because I set a 1/2 PR during the marathon and know I could have gone so much faster if it was only a half.

I am hoping my fastest PRs are still to come. I know a lot of the elites are racing super fast in their late 30s and some people run faster post-babies... I hope both of those things will apply to me.

I didn't start running until my mid 40's, and still trying to eek out some PR's. Certainly left myself plenty of room for improvement!

I must admit it's been harder to regain speed during this training cycle. Hopefully it's the excessive heat and humidity holding me back and I'll be flying around this Fall when the temps are ideal.
But I have wondered if it's age-related.

I know I asked the question, about age related PRs. I started running about 9 years ago when I was 35. The impact of training is a lot more noticeable and speedwork takes more effort now, but I still think I have a couple more years where PR's are possible. Every year I think it will take a lot more discipline and effort to make them though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter