The Running Thread - 2019

5 more days until I can register for April's 3 mile race. I've done it before, but it was back when I wasn't training properly and didn't know how to run 3 miles without wearing myself out by the end of mile 1. They have a 5 miler the same day, but you're required to run it within an hour and I'm just not there yet, so the 3 it is!

What area of AR are you in? We are in the Northeast part. It will NOT STOP raining. I'm so sick of the treadmill.

ATTQOTD: It's not a specific time of year because we don't really have seasons, but I prefer when it's about 60 and a small breeze and low humidity. That could happen in February, October, June, etc. But I also kinda love running in summer. The sun is up much earlier so I feel safer going before work and I also love all the SWEAT!! #weirdo

Honestly? I do too. I somehow feel more accomplished when I come back from a run all sweaty.

QOTD: What is your favorite season of the year to go for a run and why?

ATTQOTD: I am going to go with early spring. My long runs arent as long and it's still cool early in the morning.

FALL! I love the fall in New England. I love the cool crisp air. Warm enough I can still pull off shorts and a t-shirt but I am not dripping in sweat when I am done.

For a future QOTD I would love to hear everyone’s favorite podcasts. I’m always looking for new ones!

Disunplugged
Connecting with Walt for long runs as their shows run long
Marathon Training Academy
Pete and Sebastian Show
The Marathon Show (I have old episodes saved from Joe as the host. They may be old but I think they are motivating so I relisten on long runs)
WD-FM (Walt Disney Family Museum- its new. I haven't listened to many so I don't know how it will play out but it's in my feed at this point. Figured some of you Disney fans might want to try it.)

Two: LUCK - yes it plays a factor. I do not wish an injury on anyone, especially a serious one, but keep in mind when we go out and run we have to accept that we will at times slip, fall, pull and tweak things. My PT suggests the best way to reduce this factor is to really remain present, be situationally aware and in the momment when running.

Totally agree with luck - or bad luck... A year ago I was simply stepping off of my treadmill (it was turned off), and in that few inches to the ground, something went horribly wrong...ended up with a badly sprained ankle. It took months to get to a place where I could run pain free.

So, after much back and forth I think I am going to replace my VA3 and FR910XT with a Fenix 5 Saphire (non-plus).

I really like the VA3 but the 910XT is getting long in the tooth and I want to get one watch I can both wear as my daily tracker and use for running and multi-sport.

Before I actually bite the bullet does anyone here have a Fenix 5 and what are your thoughts? Once I do bite the bullet I'll have a like-new VA3 and 910XT to sell if anyone here is interested before I just go the ebay route. Both look brand new. The 910XT only has about 50 runs on it since I mostly used my VA devices for runs the past 4 years and I have a few extra colored bands for the VA3 I will throw in.

For a future QOTD I would love to hear everyone’s favorite podcasts. I’m always looking for new ones!

For running the best one I've heard by far is Endurance Planet, especially the Ask The Coaches episodes. They have done more to guide my training in the past 6 months than anything else I've read or heard in my previous 13 years of running.

ATTQOTD: always summer here so I don't get a choice of seasons to run in here! But when I lived somewhere with seasons I remember liking running in all seasons except winter - spring because of great weather and pretty flowers along my running route, summer because the sun set after 9pm so I could go for late runs while the sun was still out, and autumn because of great weather.

I love Oofos! I have had several pairs, and I think they feel great after a long run. If you may be having planter fasciitis pain, then I think they would be very good for you since they offer support for your feet.

Oofos have a fanatical following. They seem to be one of those things that you either love or hate. Personally, I find the arch to be way too high on them for comfort. It feels like I’m walking on a teeter totter. I prefer the Hoka Ora recovery slides. You may love them, though. My advice is to be sure to try them on before buying, just in case.

Never worn Oofos but I have thought about them. I went as far as to try them on at the expo but didn’t pull the trigger.

I've had the clogs and flip-flops for a couple of years. I love them. They're all I wear around the house. The clogs do make your feet sweat, even in winter, and are pretty ugly/goofy, but who cares if they feel good?

I love my Oofos! I was told I need to wear supportive shoes all the time and shouldn't be barefoot. I have an indoor pair of oofos I wear in the house and an outdoor pair I wear during the Summer for casual shoes.

Thanks all for the thoughts about Oofos! Went around some sport shops after work today and found a shop selling them so decided to get a pair to try out. It does feel like there is a huge amount of arch support... So far I don't seem to get as much agonising heel pain with them so hopefully they will help a bit! They do feel rather squelchy though...

I’ll go with fall - the crisp weather is a relief after summer and the smells, colors, crunch of leaves are all great.

Early spring is great too - feels like coming out of hibernation when you can run without 75 layers/accessories.

Anyone have experience on how much down time to expect after oral surgery? I had a root crack in a molar and it had to come out today. The surgeon just said to play it by ear, but I’m wondering how long I’m going to need to listen... :rolleyes1

I need to make a final decision on registration for a race middle of next month and would like to get a couple of solid runs in before pulling the trigger.

I had a gum graft on my lower gum (this is where they put new tissue to replace receding gums) and the next day I had my gallbladder removed (laparoscopically). This was when I was about 40. I had no real restriction on running due to the oral surgery, that I recall. The gallbladder surgeon said I could start running after 7 days, and I was on the treadmill that day.

I've had previous oral surgeries (major wisdom tooth removal, root canal), but all prior to when I started running. I did return to tennis pretty much the next day or two with those.

Hope the oral surgery goes well! I have a total phobia for that sort of thing, so mine was all done with a sedation dentist.

So, after much back and forth I think I am going to replace my VA3 and FR910XT with a Fenix 5 Saphire (non-plus).

I really like the VA3 but the 910XT is getting long in the tooth and I want to get one watch I can both wear as my daily tracker and use for running and multi-sport.

Before I actually bite the bullet does anyone here have a Fenix 5 and what are your thoughts? Once I do bite the bullet I'll have a like-new VA3 and 910XT to sell if anyone here is interested before I just go the ebay route. Both look brand new. The 910XT only has about 50 runs on it since I mostly used my VA devices for runs the past 4 years and I have a few extra colored bands for the VA3 I will throw in.

For running the best one I've heard by far is Endurance Planet, especially the Ask The Coaches episodes. They have done more to guide my training in the past 6 months than anything else I've read or heard in my previous 13 years of running.

Are you looking at it for an everyday wear watch or as an activity specific watch? If you’re looking for something for activity use only, have you considered the FR 935? It has a lot of the Fenix 5 features in a much lighter plastic body at a significant cost reduction. If you’re looking for everyday wear, the Fenix 5 is probably the better choice. It just looks nicer and more appropriate for a wider variety of situations.

I had a gum graft on my lower gum (this is where they put new tissue to replace receding gums) and the next day I had my gallbladder removed (laparoscopically). This was when I was about 40. I had no real restriction on running due to the oral surgery, that I recall. The gallbladder surgeon said I could start running after 7 days, and I was on the treadmill that day.

I've had previous oral surgeries (major wisdom tooth removal, root canal), but all prior to when I started running. I did return to tennis pretty much the next day or two with those.

Hope the oral surgery goes well! I have a total phobia for that sort of thing, so mine was all done with a sedation dentist.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I actually had it done yesterday and went with nitrous rather than full sedation. I’m really glad I opted for some sedation, though, as they didn’t get everything numb to start and found out the hard way mid-procedure. All in all, my least favorite dental experience thus far. But on the good side, surprisingly little pain 24hrs out. Fingers crossed! If this continues, I’ll probably try something short tomorrow or Sunday to test things out.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I actually had it done yesterday and went with nitrous rather than full sedation. I’m really glad I opted for some sedation, though, as they didn’t get everything numb to start and found out the hard way mid-procedure. All in all, my least favorite dental experience thus far. But on the good side, surprisingly little pain 24hrs out. Fingers crossed! If this continues, I’ll probably try something short tomorrow or Sunday to test things out.

I hope you heal quickly!

And I am wondering, does anyone have a favorite dental experience? :) Sorry to anyone out there that might be in dentistry - I think it's just inherently uncomfortable to be at the receiving end.

Are you looking at it for an everyday wear watch or as an activity specific watch? If you’re looking for something for activity use only, have you considered the FR 935? It has a lot of the Fenix 5 features in a much lighter plastic body at a significant cost reduction. If you’re looking for everyday wear, the Fenix 5 is probably the better choice. It just looks nicer and more appropriate for a wider variety of situations.

Everyday wear. I only take the watch off to shower. I considered the 935 but like the look of the Fenix better.

Last edited:
Connecting with Walt for long runs as their shows run long
I really need to add that one to my rotation. I'm friends with Michael and he really knows his stuff.

WD-FM (Walt Disney Family Museum- its new. I haven't listened to many so I don't know how it will play out but it's in my feed at this point. Figured some of you Disney fans might want to try it.)
Another reminder about a podcast I need to add. Any Disney fan looking to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum should plan on spending the whole day there. While you can go through it in 2 hours if that's your only option, there is so much to see and take in there.

This question's been asked before, but I'll ask it again: Do you listen to anything while you run, or are you alone with your thoughts?
When I first started running I absolutely had to have music. I usually run by myself but run the races with my husband, and didn't put my headphones in the last few Disney races. I was surprised to discover that I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would! I've recently - like last week - discovered podcasts and have been listening to those the last few ones. I have a couple I'm saving for my long run tomorrow. So, I guess it depends - I do a little of everything. When I'm bored though some music really helps me (especially if it's the kind I don't listen to when the kids are around :) ).

Edited to add - I got Aftershockz headphones for Christmas and I'm loving those.

I really need to add that one to my rotation. I'm friends with Michael and he really knows his stuff.

Another reminder about a podcast I need to add. Any Disney fan looking to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum should plan on spending the whole day there. While you can go through it in 2 hours if that's your only option, there is so much to see and take in there.

I plan to go some day but don't see how I would be done in two hours. I figured I'd be in there the whole day for sure.

The Hoka One One Arahi 2's were on sale at Scheels today--$80 down from $130! Wish I'd bought two pair instead of one; now that I've gotten home and looked at my budget I think I'll be back tomorrow to pick up another pair.

I plan to go some day but don't see how I would be done in two hours. I figured I'd be in there the whole day for sure.
And if you're there on weekend when they have a speaker, you may want two days. I've been to some incredible presentations there on different animated classics from Walt Disney's lifetime, animation in general, and Disneyland. They also have a film of the month, so it's a great opportunity to possibly catch a classic in their theatre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter