The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Basically any season but summer! Although even in summer I enjoy running at dusk when the sun isn’t beating down on me.

Don't mind me....just going to join in and pretend I've been here all along.

ATTQOTD: Spring and fall are my favorites! The only thing I dislike about running in the summer is having to get up earlier to beat the heat. Aside from that I like it. And though winter allows me to sleep as late as I want and still run, I'm really a baby when it comes to the cold.

I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a pair of Oofos on Zullily when people were praising them about a year ago. I’m meh about them. They have a very pronounced rocking motion. I normally require a high arch but these seem to actually rotate my foot to the outside to compensate for it. I should have waited for an expo where I could have tried them first.

ATTQOTD: I love running in the spring when those first comfortable days to get outside in shorts happen, and I love running in the fall when the first crisp days happen. I also don't mind the beginning of summer when I can get up and run early in the morning. But I have hated the runs since WDW marathon until now. It has been cold and/or raining ever since.

ATTQOTD favorite season: I like to have four very different seasons. They all have advantages and inconvenients. If I had to put them in order, it would be Spring (longer days, less clothes, races), Fall (still long day, crisp air, races), Summer (vacations, long days) and Winter (when we hit a gorgeous day, it is so amazing).

Anyone have experience on how much down time to expect after oral surgery? I had a root crack in a molar and it had to come out today. The surgeon just said to play it by ear, but I’m wondering how long I’m going to need to listen... :rolleyes1

I need to make a final decision on registration for a race middle of next month and would like to get a couple of solid runs in before pulling the trigger.

Wow lots of activity on the Running Thread the last few days!

ATTQOTD, injuries: Everyone hit on the majority of the things I would share, so I will not repeat those. But here are two things I would add. One: If you feel a new pain and it does not get better after a few days, do not continue to run - don’t make the mistake of “I can run through this, I am sure at some point it will get better”. See your doctor. You can take a small issue and make it a very big issue by simply not addressing it early. Two: LUCK - yes it plays a factor. I do not wish an injury on anyone, especially a serious one, but keep in mind when we go out and run we have to accept that we will at times slip, fall, pull and tweak things. My PT suggests the best way to reduce this factor is to really remain present, be situationally aware and in the momment when running.

@Bree happy to hear that your injury will not require surgery and wishing you a fast recovery!

ATTQOTD, time of year: My favorite time of year is the fall. The leaves, the crisp air and the ‘A’ races after a summer of training. I love fall!

ATTQOTD: My favorite season to run is summer, but only because the sun rises around 6 a.m. and the kids don't have to be up early for school. I am able to go outside and get my run done before my husband leaves for work. That convenience is amazing compared to the school year when I've got to be finished with my run by 5:30. The extra sleep wins every time!

Anyone have experience on how much down time to expect after oral surgery? I had a root crack in a molar and it had to come out today. The surgeon just said to play it by ear, but I’m wondering how long I’m going to need to listen... :rolleyes1

I need to make a final decision on registration for a race middle of next month and would like to get a couple of solid runs in before pulling the trigger.

It depends on the person. When I had my wisdom teeth removed it took almost two weeks before I was back to normal. My sister, on the other hand, was back in a few days. Suggestion: give yourself the weekend off, try a short easy run on your first normal day next week and see how it goes.

Oh, and if you start to feel like you have an ear ache call the surgeon and get in for them to look at the site ASAP, do not wait for your follow up appointment.

ATTQOTD: I like that fall crisp day as well. The winter in AR is normally pretty great temps for running except for a few really cold days, except this year THE RAIN NEVER ENDS! So I really hate cold and wet!

What area of AR are you in? We are in the Northeast part. It will NOT STOP raining. I'm so sick of the treadmill.

ATTQOTD: It's not a specific time of year because we don't really have seasons, but I prefer when it's about 60 and a small breeze and low humidity. That could happen in February, October, June, etc. But I also kinda love running in summer. The sun is up much earlier so I feel safer going before work and I also love all the SWEAT!! #weirdo

If you've already had the tooth pulled, that's the worst of it. I also had a cracked root molar pulled and had an implant. It was a hard tooth to get out and frankly, I'd rather go through childbirth again. Avoiding the dry socket was the immediate goal afterwards , plus I was in so much pain I didn't want to run anyway. I expect 1-2 weeks would be a minimum, but I think I've blocked out the experience!

The reconstruction of the tooth was straightforward, albeit spread over time so they could build bone, establish an anchor, etc. No issues with that part at all. (I don't understand any place that advertises 1 day replacement!)

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter