The Running Thread - 2019

This week we have the following folks with races:

22 - @QueenFernando - Disney Princess 5k (NG / N/A)
22 - @tigger536 - Disney Princess 5k (NG / N/A)
22 - @HomeiswhereMickeyis - Disney Princess 5k (NG / N/A)
23 - QueenFernando - Disney Princess 10k (NG / N/A)
23 - @KevM - Fireside Frostbite 5 Miler (NG / N/A)
23 - @Leeroy Jenkins - Disney Princess 10K (48:00 / N/A)
23 - @cburnett11 - Anthem 5k Fitness Classic (NG / N/A)
23 - @Mr. Drauer - Disney Princess 10k (NG / N/A)
23 - tigger536 - Disney Princess 10k (NG / N/A)
23 - @AntimonyER - The Chocolate Run 10k (45:00 / NA)
24 - tigger536 - Disney Princess Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
24 - Mr. Drauer - Disney Princess Half Marathon (2:17:00 / N/A)
24 - QueenFernando - Disney Princess Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
24 - Leeroy Jenkins - Disney Princess Half Marathon (1:55:00 / N/A)
24 - @*DisneyDreamer - Disney Princess Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
24 - @huggybuff - Davis Stampede (NG / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend and safe travels to and from your race destination. If you have a change you would like to make please let me know and I will make it for you.

SIDE NOTE:
Work continues to be full speed currently so I am a behind nearly a week on reading. Hoping to catch up soon and get things current on the list.

ATTQOTD: Fall is my favorite season to run in (late September to November). Having the weather in the 40s or low 50s feels great for a long run (or any run). With the leaves changing too, there's always some pretty scenery.

Do you listen to anything while you run, or are you alone with your thoughts?
Podcasts!! I love a good podcast and cranked through multiple seasons during marathon training.

I amazingly never put in my airpods in during the marathon, which shocked me!

QOTD: What is your favorite season of the year to go for a run and why?
Fall! I love running during harvest- the weather can be perfectly cool and the scenery is beautiful. I like spring, but my allergies can be a challenge and the roads can be really soft/muddy as they thaw after winter.

I'm so far behind, but the Tracer360 is on sale right now if anyone is in the market! I needed to order a new one for my husband today and happened to see the new price

Yesterday’s QOTD: ease into the mileage and run slow. I feel like a bunch of us here have all said we ran way too fast in the beginning of running.

I listen to podcasts when I run. The only time I don’t listen to anything is during Disney races.

Never worn Oofos but I have thought about them. I went as far as to try them on at the expo but didn’t pull the trigger.

ATTQOTD: I love running in the cold so I’d say winter. I know it doesn’t get near as cold here in NC as other states and we hardly ever have to deal with snow and ice.

Good luck to everyone running Princess this weekend! Looks like it’s going to be a warm one.

I really like running in all seasons from cold and snowy to hot and humid but my favorite is running in the fall when it starts to get cool and the trees have changed color but haven't dropped the majority of their leaves yet.

A close second is late spring when we start to get warmer weather and I can run in less clothing which always gives me a boost in pace.

Attqotd: I guess summer. It’s usually not too hot here, but super dry. I would say spring or fall because they are cooler but we get snowstorms from October through May.

ATTQOTD: Fall fall fall!!! It is the best season to run in NH. After that, then mid-spring, like late-April to May-ish. Sometimes late April is still pretty wintery, but sometimes it's nice. Usually by May, unless we are having a freak heat wave, it's nice and cool and the snow is gone.

I just realized I need to start training for my 10K in April this weekend. I'm just going to wing it, I think, and do 3 OTF and then 1 run or OTF during the week and a longer run on the weekend. Maybe split to 2 OTF and 2 runs if the snow starts disappearing later on in March. I have not been running at all outside of OTF since early August, except one single run last fall. Worst case, I can always walk the race but I think that my wing it plan should get me to some running shape. :D

ATTQOTD - The Floridian Answer: Depends when you ask me... if you ask me on a cold day in January, I'll probably say, "early summer" (i.e.: April). Ask me in mid-August and I'll probably say, "January!" :rotfl: My best answer is probably, "any day when it's in the mid-60s overnight, with a daytime high of 80," which could happen on any given day from Oct. through early May. Florida is special like that. :beach:

Sorry, I have to disagree with this advice. When you're out running and try to engage or take on someone or something without knowing what that someone or thing are you are escalating the situation. You have know idea who is behind the wheel or whether they give a crap about you or anyone else. Yeah, it may feel good at the moment to let out some frustration but is it really worth it? And yes, I've had my share of close calls, but a simple visit to the local PD or call to the State Police with a vehicle license has been my response.

I'm glad you said this, and I will follow up with my own agreement. I had a friend who once did this when a group of us were standing at a crosswalk in a busy pedestrian area and the car went though without stopping to let us cross (slowly - no danger), so my friend thumped the car as a "why did you do that?" message. The driver immediately pulled over, hopped out, and started a shouting match with my friend. We were lucky it didn't go farther than that. The incident made me realize and remember that we have no idea what is going on with other people - maybe they are just not paying attention and maybe there is more going on and something small could set off a bad situation.

I'm glad you said this, and I will follow up with my own agreement. I had a friend who once did this when a group of us were standing at a crosswalk in a busy pedestrian area and the car went though without stopping to let us cross (slowly - no danger), so my friend thumped the car as a "why did you do that?" message. The driver immediately pulled over, hopped out, and started a shouting match with my friend. We were lucky it didn't go farther than that. The incident made me realize and remember that we have no idea what is going on with other people - maybe they are just not paying attention and maybe there is more going on and something small could set off a bad situation.
I’m not worried about getting hit(although I would rather not), I’m worried about getting shot. I’m bigger than about 97% of people, and I don’t want them to use my size as a physical threat to them thus okaying a “Stand your ground” defense.

For those of you who run in the street, how reflective and visible are you? Are you truly visible a half block away? DH takes the 5:40 am train and driving him to the train station is a daily exercise in spotting the runners wearing dark clothing with little to no light or refelective strips and hoping they obey traffic signals and do not suddenly decide to run across the road.

I run on sidewalks in the dusk/evening and I still wear lots of reflective gear, because I have some street crossings in crosswalks. A reflective vest, an LED "taillight" both front and back, and knuckle lights. I passed someone getting into her car, and she said, "Wow, you are really visible!" so I consider it mission accomplished. But I pass a lot of runners who are wearing nothing reflective or no lights. Even though we're mostly on sidewalks, there are those crosswalks and if you're going to run right through them, you need to be visible.

QOTD: What do you believe is key to preventing injury as related to running?

ATTQOTD: I think and I say this with little to no scientific reason to support it, that easing into running and making slow progress may be the safest way to prevent injury.

ATYQOTD: I agree with slow progression in running. I also think that a well-rounded strength training program helps a lot, making sure that muscles and ligaments that you don't necessarily use a lot in running also get developed.

This question's been asked before, but I'll ask it again: Do you listen to anything while you run, or are you alone with your thoughts?

What's everyone else's audio habit? Is it different when you're training versus when you're racing?

Sometimes I listen to music and sometimes I don't. When I'm running sidewalks around the neighborhood and have some street crossings, I don't listen to anything so that I'm more aware. When I'm running on the track (monotonous), I do listen to music. When I'm on our multi-use trails, then it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to just hear nature (plus cars) and sometimes I feel like music.

I listened to some podcasts a couple of summers ago when I was marathon training, but I just don't care for that as much. Maybe too much concentration on what's going on?

ETA: when I do run with music, it's only with one earbud, so I can usually hear bikers or other runners coming up behind me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter