The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: When running on the roads and sidewalks are not available, which of the two options do you do: Run with traffic or against traffic? Tell us why you picked the option you picked as well.

running in the street in Baltimore is courting death. Never. At my parents' house, which is on a small circle (~1 mile/circuit), against traffic all the way. Not like there's much traffic to speak of there.

QOTD: What do you believe is key to preventing injury as related to running?

paying attention to how I'm feeling and being conservative if something starts nagging. Have had enough joint issues to play it extra safe with that.

Do you listen to anything while you run, or are you alone with your thoughts?

Gotta have the music. My sister got me a pair of aftershokz a couple of years ago; LOVE them. My tiny ears hate most earbuds, and it just feels safer to not have something blocking ambient noise.

QOTD: What is your favorite season of the year to go for a run and why?

spring or fall. Especially if it's finally warm after the cold or finally cooling after the heat.

Man, it's been a long few weeks. Am *really* looking forward to visiting my sister starting on Wednesday.

Just finished The Cowtown Half Marathon here in Fort Worth, Texas (even though @LSUlakes didn't add me to the list. I'm not mad, just hurt.)

It went well. Colder than I like to start but warmed up nicely. I finished in under two hours which is my usual goal these days.

I wanted to take a moment to point out a few post-race things The Cowtown does that I would DEARLY love to see RunDisney adopt in the future.

BAGS FOR RUNNERS AFTER FINISHING TO PUT FOOD/FREEBIES IN. IT'S SO SIMPLE AND CONVENIENT IT SEEMS OBVIOUS, NO?
IMG_20190224_091430.jpg

ICE CREAM. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY DINING CREDITS I WOULD WILLINGLY HAVE SACRIFICED AFTER THIS YEAR'S WDW MARATHON FOR A HALF SIZE DOLE WHIP?
IMG_20190224_091641.jpg

HOT SOUP. FOR GOODNESS SAKE, THE COWTOWN IS JUST CLOWNING ON YOU NOW, RUNDISNEY
IMG_20190224_091838.jpg

EDIT: added link to race report

Last edited:
I’ve been on vacation for the past week so I haven’t been able to check the board much so I’ve got a bunch of catching up to do. But first of all, I was scheduled to run the Heartbreaker HM in Hillsboro, OR last Sat, but I was a bit under the weather, it was super cold, and this HM was a training run for my full marathon, so I decided to bag it. I’ve learned from my last marathon training cycle that overdoing it during the training runs can increase the injury risk so I’ve been way more cautious this time around.

Mon ATTQOTD: I purchase around 3-4 shoes a year. I will buy new shoes vs buying the same ones since I don’t buy too many at once and I want to try out the newest trends and fashion. But I will generally buy the newest Nike Pegasus and Saucony Kinvara.

Tues ATTQOTD: If I have the choice, I will run against traffic. Our roads here in the Bay Area area sloped to move water to the curbs so I like to run closer to the middle of the street where it’s flatter (I suspected running on sloped ground contributed to my knee issues)....hence running against the traffic so I can monitor cars better.

Weds ATTQOTD: I think there are so many factors in injury prevention in running. Correct running shoes and not running in them too long; Resting properly in between hard runs; Gradual ramp up in miles; etc etc. I wish I knew the secret to prevent injuries though!

Thurs ATTQOTD: Spring is my fav season to run. The cold weather is subsiding but the heat hasn’t come yet + the summer race season is approaching.

Podcast question: I love listening to podcasts during my run. My go to favorites are the Billy Yang Podcast, the Morning Shakeout, and the BibRave Podcast. If I’ve finished those run-focused podcasts, then I’ll listen to Freakanomics or the DisUnplugged podcast. I’ve been on the fence with Aftershockz but with all the positive word here, I may have to buy one soon.

Oofos question: I love my Oofos slipper. I normally wear a 10.5 and I bought the 10 which was perfect. The arch wasn’t too high and I’ll wear it all the time indoors to save my plantars. However, I bought the Oofos clogs afterwards and the 10 was too small since I need to wear it with socks, so I ended up with size 11 and the arches are WAY too high. I never wear that one now since it causes arch pain after 2-3 hours. It’s strange how the size up from 10 to 11 was so drastic in arch height.

The discomfort of not having a race on the schedule finally got to me. @LSUlakes, can you please add a race to the list for me?

March 17 - camaker - Badwater Cape Fear 51.4m/50k (Finish 51.4m/Finish 50k)

One of the nice things about this race is that you can check down from the 51m race and still be an official 50k finisher. I like having that option since 39m is run on the beach.

7th Annual Chocolate Run 10K Race Report

This is the biggest race of the year for my hometown, over 700 people registered. It benefits the Open Hearts Community Mission, a local homeless shelter. The race runs through the campus of Georgia Southern University.

The packet pick-up swag bag is probably the best one I have gotten yet. A cloth tote was filled with local business sponsor promotional items, including a t-shirt, coozie, plastic cup, gel bead ice pack, and coupons for free items containing chocolate from various local restaurants. On race morning, the pavilion was packed full of local businesses with free samples, buckets of chocolate candy at all tables, and tons of free food (fruit, donuts, biscuits and chicken, smoothies, plus hot chocolate, brownies, cookies, chocolate milk, and even chocolate ice cream.) Fun note, the mascot this year was the "chocolate" T-Rex, the costume was provided by myself (was my daughter's halloween costume this year). Had to get a photo. It was a friend's son in the costume, he even ran the kids fun run in it (No small feat, that costume is HARD to run in).
upload_2019-2-25_6-3-51.jpeg

The weather was cloudy, damp (but not raining), and cool (~55F at race start). Pretty good running weather really. The race is a combined 5k/10k, with a simultaneous start. Being my first 10k, I was a little nervous about getting caught up with the 5k runners, and starting out too fast. I lined up near the start line, and chatting with the folks around me, found a couple 10k runners hoping for a similar pace as mine, so we decided to pace each other to start the race. The "gun" fired, and we were off.

The first mile I kept in a tight group with the other two runners, and we completed it in 6:46. That was exactly where I wanted to be, so was pretty happy with the start. After the first mile, my thought was where were the two races splitting. My one complaint (as you will see) about the race was they didn't have any directional signs, and I hadn't check the route beforehand. They did have volunteers at each intersection who were supposed to be directing runners, but more than a few were cheering, without telling us where to go. But there were a lot of runners ahead of me, so I just followed the crowd. Mile 2 passed at a 6:51 pace, I had pulled in front of the other two runners in my group, as they were sticking to a 7:00 pace. At about mile 2.25, the races split. There was one runner I could see ahead of me about 100 yards, and I got it in my head to try to catch him. I came up to a roundabout, and the volunteers were cheering as I followed him around. Then he got to the next intersection, turned around and pointed in both directions, asking ME which way to go.... uh oh. I did know the general direction, as my friend (dad of T-Rex boy, also the route director) had given me a verbal rundown of the course, so I told him to go right, and followed him (still about 50 yards back at this point). At this point I knew something wasn't right. We were now running on a busy US Hwy, with no sidewalk or running lane. And there had been no volunteer at the corner to give either of us directions. That's when I looked to my right, and saw the two runners I had started with on a parallel road ahead and to the right of me. The volunteers cheering us at the roundabout were supposed to be telling us to go straight through the roundabout, but the runner ahead of me and myself went left out of it, and the volunteers never said a word. Ugh. I yelled at the runner ahead of me to let him know we were off course, but he had headphones in and couldn't hear me. I then cut through the grass between the two roads to get back on track. Before the roundabout I had been about 50 yards ahead of my two starting buddies, but now I was 100 yards behind them. At the next intersection, the runner than had been ahead of me realized he was off track, and was making his way back to us as well, but was behind me another 50 yards.

Took me two miles, but I finally caught back up to the other two runners. I was still keeping a sub 7 pace (6:46 mile 3, 6:51 mile 4), so I resolved to finish that way. Making sure to ask each volunteer which way to go if they weren't already telling us, haha, I managed to stay on track, running mile 5 at 6:53. The route then joined back up with the 5k route, so I ran through the stream of 5k runners to the finish, running mile 6 at 6:55, and finishing with a chip time of 42:27.6. Beat my goal of sub 45 by 2.5 minutes, even with my detour adding .05 miles!
upload_2019-2-25_7-30-2.jpeg

The finishing award (cause we didn't have enough swag) was a coffee mug, can never have too many of those :) Grabbed one and headed to the pavilion to enjoy some of the post race snacks.

It was then that my friend caught up to me and excitedly informed me I had actually won the race! I couldn't believe it!
upload_2019-2-25_7-50-50.jpegupload_2019-2-25_7-51-4.jpeg

In the end, I had a fun time, ran great, ate too much chocolate, and learned a valuable lesson for my future races (study the route before the race!).

7th Annual Chocolate Run 10K Race Report

This is the biggest race of the year for my hometown, over 700 people registered. It benefits the Open Hearts Community Mission, a local homeless shelter. The race runs through the campus of Georgia Southern University.

The packet pick-up swag bag is probably the best one I have gotten yet. A cloth tote was filled with local business sponsor promotional items, including a t-shirt, coozie, plastic cup, gel bead ice pack, and coupons for free items containing chocolate from various local restaurants. On race morning, the pavilion was packed full of local businesses with free samples, buckets of chocolate candy at all tables, and tons of free food (fruit, donuts, biscuits and chicken, smoothies, plus hot chocolate, brownies, cookies, chocolate milk, and even chocolate ice cream.) Fun note, the mascot this year was the "chocolate" T-Rex, the costume was provided by myself (was my daughter's halloween costume this year). Had to get a photo. It was a friend's son in the costume, he even ran the kids fun run in it (No small feat, that costume is HARD to run in).
View attachment 384723

The weather was cloudy, damp (but not raining), and cool (~55F at race start). Pretty good running weather really. The race is a combined 5k/10k, with a simultaneous start. Being my first 10k, I was a little nervous about getting caught up with the 5k runners, and starting out too fast. I lined up near the start line, and chatting with the folks around me, found a couple 10k runners hoping for a similar pace as mine, so we decided to pace each other to start the race. The "gun" fired, and we were off.

The first mile I kept in a tight group with the other two runners, and we completed it in 6:46. That was exactly where I wanted to be, so was pretty happy with the start. After the first mile, my thought was where were the two races splitting. My one complaint (as you will see) about the race was they didn't have any directional signs, and I hadn't check the route beforehand. They did have volunteers at each intersection who were supposed to be directing runners, but more than a few were cheering, without telling us where to go. But there were a lot of runners ahead of me, so I just followed the crowd. Mile 2 passed at a 6:51 pace, I had pulled in front of the other two runners in my group, as they were sticking to a 7:00 pace. At about mile 2.25, the races split. There was one runner I could see ahead of me about 100 yards, and I got it in my head to try to catch him. I came up to a roundabout, and the volunteers were cheering as I followed him around. Then he got to the next intersection, turned around and pointed in both directions, asking ME which way to go.... uh oh. I did know the general direction, as my friend (dad of T-Rex boy, also the route director) had given me a verbal rundown of the course, so I told him to go right, and followed him (still about 50 yards back at this point). At this point I knew something wasn't right. We were now running on a busy US Hwy, with no sidewalk or running lane. And there had been no volunteer at the corner to give either of us directions. That's when I looked to my right, and saw the two runners I had started with on a parallel road ahead and to the right of me. The volunteers cheering us at the roundabout were supposed to be telling us to go straight through the roundabout, but the runner ahead of me and myself went left out of it, and the volunteers never said a word. Ugh. I yelled at the runner ahead of me to let him know we were off course, but he had headphones in and couldn't hear me. I then cut through the grass between the two roads to get back on track. Before the roundabout I had been about 50 yards ahead of my two starting buddies, but now I was 100 yards behind them. At the next intersection, the runner than had been ahead of me realized he was off track, and was making his way back to us as well, but was behind me another 50 yards.

Took me two miles, but I finally caught back up to the other two runners. I was still keeping a sub 7 pace (6:46 mile 3, 6:51 mile 4), so I resolved to finish that way. Making sure to ask each volunteer which way to go if they weren't already telling us, haha, I managed to stay on track, running mile 5 at 6:53. The route then joined back up with the 5k route, so I ran through the stream of 5k runners to the finish, running mile 6 at 6:55, and finishing with a chip time of 42:27.6. Beat my goal of sub 45 by 2.5 minutes, even with my detour adding .05 miles!
View attachment 384729

The finishing award (cause we didn't have enough swag) was a coffee mug, can never have too many of those :) Grabbed one and headed to the pavilion to enjoy some of the post race snacks.

It was then that my friend caught up to me and excitedly informed me I had actually won the race! I couldn't believe it!
View attachment 384736View attachment 384737

In the end, I had a fun time, ran great, ate too much chocolate, and learned a valuable lesson for my future races (study the route before the race!).

Congratulations!! Mmmmm chocolate!

QOTD: How do you stay motivated for runs when you do not have a race coming up?

ATTQOTD: I currently do not have any races I am looking to run so I thought this would be a good question. My motivation during these times is to improve for the next training cycle. While there isnt much running at the moment due to almost everyone in our house being sick I hope to get back to it soon.

Ran the Gasparilla half yesterday as an "easy" run, following Saturday's 14 mile MP tempo run (which was actually 12.25 miles plus the cooldown of run/walk, because damn it's warm and humid in FL!)

I was not sure that even at a slower pace I would manage since Saturday and Sunday were probably the worst conditions in which I have ever run. But amazingly, and on very little sleep, it went well. Probably was too fast at a T+D adjusted level, and at mile 12 I decided to blow through the last mile so I could be done.

Good race set up and I got my picture with Meb!!!

image000000_01.jpg

Last edited:
Just joining in here as I get excited for the Star Wars Half!

ATTQOTD: Since I've gotten into running ultramarathons, I feel the need to keep my base up in the off season. Another motivator is Strava, and this silly need to make sure I get my runs in. I follow too many other ultramarathon runners that make an 8 mile mid-week run seem like nothing. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.

ATTQOTD: It used to be hard to stay motivated without something on the calendar, but now I just have to remind myself how much it sucks to start over. When I am not training, I try to get in at least thirty minutes of easy running 4-5 days a week. The consistency makes a huge difference when it is time to buckle down for a training plan.

It's hard, especially now when it's colder. I remind myself that I want to do Dopey next year and have set goals to cut time and only training is going to help me do that. That's actually worked better than I thought! I also bought the Dopey Challenge phone case so I have a daily reminder of what I'm working towards.

And yes, I do feel guilty calling the 30s "colder" when I see what my friends up north are dealing with! :rolleyes1

Try to come up with a goal.

I’m struggling with running at all right now. Our weather is just stupid. One day 10 inches of snow, the next 40 degrees, the next 50 mph winds, the next -15 degrees. Spring will never come.

I feel ya. We had over five inches of rain within twenty-four hours on Saturday which just happened to follow nine days of non-stop rain. (Over 12.5 inches for the month SO FAR!) I have been on the treadmill most of February and many of my greenway routes are under water at the moment.

ATTQOTD - I usually find it really hard to stay motivated without a race coming up! In 2017 I made sure I always had a race coming up, but in 2018 I was pretty busy with real life and didn't do this - and as a result lost a lot of my stamina and definitely didn't run as much.

Right now I do have a race coming up so I'm training for that. But I have to admit that part of my current motivation is trying to lose weight as well - the only times in my life I've lost weight were when I ran a lot! And also motivated by the fact that stamina is so difficult to build up but so easy to lose, so trying very hard not to lose it right now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter