The Running Thread - 2020

Perhaps a QOTD? Likely one that’s been asked before, but: For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?

Literally the first running race I ever signed up for was a rundisney half marathon. I had decided as my New Year's resolution for that year that I wanted to get back into shape, and had decided running would be the safest and most efficient way to do so (I'd previously done some long distance biking events, but after a number of close calls with cars wanted to avoid dealing with NJ traffic.) After some research for a target fall race to motivate me, I was amazed to discover rundisney and signed up for the Wine and Dine half. (After all, I figured if I was going down to Disney I might as well do the longest event. :) ) With that target in mind, I successfully completed C25K, transitioned to 10k training, then on to half marathon training with some sidetracks for injuries along the way. I even ended up signing up for my first marathon before running the first race I signed up for! After that, the rest was history.

For you, I think you'd need to think about what motivates you to run in the first place and what you'd get out of doing longer runs and the greater training commitment that comes with them.

Do you like running for the endorphins? The ability to zone out with an audiobook/music? The extra calories you get to burn? The accomplishment of completing a further distance? The different/additional medals from longer races? Some alone time out of the house/on a treadmill?

Only you can answer what those would be worth to you.

ATTQOTD:
When I decided to do my first race - 2015 Goofy - I wanted to be challenged. I have always enjoyed trying things that are really hard. I love Disney and I love running. It seemed like a very difficult but rewarding experience. I firmly beleive that when you set your mind to something you can do it.

If you want to run a half or full, train for it and you can do it! I also fall for the theory that if you run, you can complete a 5k. If you can run a 5k and train you can complete a 10K; and if you complete a 10K and train some more then you can run a half. If you are stubborn enough to run 13.1 miles then train some more and 26.2 is yours to complete! This is the logic that leads to toeing the line for an ultra!

So while I was out on my run today, I spent some time considering whether I’d ever attempt a longer distance race (I’ve only done 10k to now). It seems like the next logical progression, but I’m not sure I want to...

Perhaps a QOTD? Likely one that’s been asked before, but: For those of you who have done a half or marathon, what was your inspiration or motivation? Or did you always just assume you’d do it? How did you decide to “go the distance”?
I have been in the camp of “I have no clue why someone would even want to attempt running more than 10k.” Until I heard about runDisney and officially raced my first 10k. 10k became a comfortable distance and I figured that I would not travel to Disney to run a distance that I could run in my neighbourhood. So I registered to a weekend challenge (Wine & Dine Two Course Challenge), train for it and ran it with no other objectives than to enjoy and finish. During the journey to get there, I realized that I enjoyed long distances and the preparation that went into running them (warm up, fueling, hydration, pacing, discovering the city by foot, etc). I have now ran 10 half-Marathons and 2 full Marathons. I find the half-Marathon to be a very enjoyable distance for which training plans can fit in most normal everyday life. Good luck!

More than a few years ago, when my wife and I had just started dating, I was the water boy while she ran her first marathon. I spent the morning biking all over the city with a backpack full of water, spare socks, shoes, etc. Needless to say, she didn’t need any of it. When the time came for her to sign up the following year, I signed up too because I wasn’t keen on being the water boy again.

If you want to run a half or full, train for it and you can do it!
and if you complete a 10K and train some more then you can run a half.

When you put it that way it seems so simple!

the camp of “I have no clue why someone would even want to attempt running more than 10k.”
I am very firmly in this camp right now

I signed up too because I wasn’t keen on being the water boy again
This is hilarious, but I don’t mind being the water girl/photographer!

I know all my running nuts will appreciate this running fun. First yeah it’s a depressing weekend a lot of races should be happening and I think I am going to have a hard day tomorrow 😢 but postponing races is the right thing to do, well I was supposed to do a 9 mile run today and the weather was crap. Rain with lightning and thunder. Definitely not a time to go outside. I live in a condo so no space for exercise equipment and who would need it we have a gym downstairs, but it’s closed like all gyms. I ran up and down the parking garage. It’s 4 levels. It was up, flat, up, flat, up, and flat. Then it was flat, down, flat, down, flat and down. i had no idea how far or how much gain I would have. My goal was to run for 60 minutes, turned into 11 laps. Wow it was wow. I did it.

thought You would all appreciate it. Definitely not 9 miles but I did something.

So while I was out on my run today, I spent some time considering whether I’d ever attempt a longer distance race (I’ve only done 10k to now). It seems like the next logical progression, but I’m not sure I want to...

Excerpt from this longer post: 1922 days, 100 pounds, 8511 miles, 180 minutes and it all started with a single step…

I’m a creature of habit – always have been. So, something that I did over the next few weeks is run the same route every time. My wife and I would both go running at the same time. We weren’t the same pace, but we’d race each other to the finish. She would do slightly less distance so that our total duration of training time was similar. It always led to fun sprints at the end. So, we became competitive with each other with our daily training runs. In addition, we both sought improvement on our individual routes. Always looking to shave off a few seconds from the final finish time.

After about a month of running (sometimes 2x in a week and one time 4x in a week), I had seen improvement. That same route that took me 29:44 a month ago was now completed in 26:06. I was running splits of 9:15, 10:03, and 10:14. I had gotten my walking breaks down to 7.

After about a month and a half of running (mid-August) I was ready to increase the challenge. I moved up my 2.6-mile training run to a 3.5-mile training run. Adding this extra mile slowed me down, but not too bad. I had splits of 9:27, 10:36, and 10:37.

I was starting to really like running. It gave me feedback. It was a self-fulfilling hobby. I had always enjoyed video games and college sports. But those things always felt so much out of my control. So when things went poorly for the UW Football/Basketball, it effected my mood. But as I got more and more into running, these things started to come more into focus as things I couldn’t control. But running was something I had an influence on.

It’s around this time that I had another life changing experience. One of my wife’s friends was looking to sign up for a Halloween themed race. She asked my wife if she was interested in running a half-marathon. I asked what a half marathon was because I had no idea what that meant. She explained to me it was a 13.1-mile race. I said a 13.1-mile race, I could probably do that. So, I pulled up the event’s website and checked it out. I was looking at the pricing structure for the race and noticed something called a “marathon”. I was like, oh what’s that? It looks like it is 26.2 miles. Well the cost is only $10 more and you get twice as much mileage. That seems like a better bang for your buck if you’re going to do it. So, I asked my wife’s friend if we should do the marathon instead. She had done one prior, but told me that I couldn’t do a marathon. I took that personally. No one tells me I can’t do something. If someone doubts my ability to accomplish something, then challenge accepted! I now realize that her comment was not so much you “can’t” do a marathon, but more so you “shouldn’t” do a marathon. As in, there’s only 8 weeks until race day and the furthest you’ve ever run in the last 10-12 years is 3.5 miles. I made the decision that during the week I would attempt to run 6 miles on Wednesday and 10 miles on Friday. If I could accomplish both of those runs, then I’d sign up for the marathon. If I couldn’t do it, then I’d sign up for the half marathon.

I think mine was a way to motivate and push myself internally. When I first started running I realized a few things one of which was that no matter how hard I would train and push, I was never going to be fast to the point I would win races but after doing some 5k and 10 ks I realized that I could be more determined than others and succeed that way.

I also realized that the longer distance is so much more strategic and I really liked that. It is something that with strategy and planning you can continue to improve so I liked that a lot. I am pretty goal driven and in running it’s really you against you.

In hindsight I think that if I would stay with the 10 k or less I may have lost motivation

I took that personally. No one tells me I can’t do something. If someone doubts my ability to accomplish something, then challenge accepted!

So I won’t lie, this is similar to what pushed me to start running. DH made an offhand comment one night that he always imagined he’d be able to go running with his wife but that wouldn’t happen with me. The following week I started the run 1 minute/walk 1 minute program, and almost exactly two years later completed my first 10k.

I also realized that the longer distance is so much more strategic and I really liked that.

this is a neat point, and I sort of noticed that during the 10k compared to the 5k as well. Definitely something else to think about

For halfs, it was runDisney. I wanted to be able to run through Magic Kingdom, which is my favorite park. Early in my journey I was convinced I would hate half marathons and would be a one-and-one, but I actually kinda like them.
Marathon, on the other hand ... that was peer pressure. I don't necessarily regret the marathons I did (Disney and NYC, which is my hometown marathon), but I do think I would have a better relationship with running right now had I not pushed myself to a distance that wasn't right for me.

ATTQOTD: What made me decide to bump my running up to a half-marathon was sobriety. Six months after I quit drinking I started thinking about a way to celebrate a year. Decided to do something I wouldn’t have done when drinking and decided to run a half-marathon. As for then bumping up to a marathon, after I ran my second half-marathon I decided that I felt good after 13.1 miles and still had plenty in the tank. So why not.

ATTQOTD: As much as I love running at Disney, I decided to train for a half so I could run one of the National Park Vacation Races. I was comfortable with the 10K distance and wanted to push myself to be able to complete the 13.1 miles. I set my sights on the race in Jackson, WY just outside Grand Teton Natl Park. It was such an important race for me to achieve that goal that when my husband couldn’t travel with me at the last minute, I went solo, rearranging a bunch of plans to make it happen. I have since run several half marathons at Disney, but that Grand Teton medal is the one that I keep hanging where I can see it, as a daily reminder of what I can accomplish!

Side note- that course is absolutely beautiful, and I would sign up for that race again in a heartbeat!

ATTQOTD: As much as I love running at Disney, I decided to train for a half so I could run one of the National Park Vacation Races. I was comfortable with the 10K distance and wanted to push myself to be able to complete the 13.1 miles. I set my sights on the race in Jackson, WY just outside Grand Teton Natl Park. It was such an important race for me to achieve that goal that when my husband couldn’t travel with me at the last minute, I went solo, rearranging a bunch of plans to make it happen. I have since run several half marathons at Disney, but that Grand Teton medal is the one that I keep hanging where I can see it, as a daily reminder of what I can accomplish!

Side note- that course is absolutely beautiful, and I would sign up for that race again in a heartbeat!
I seriously looked at the one in Glacier to be my first HM, but I needed one later in the summer/early fall. It's still on my list, maybe for next year!

I wanted to be able to run through Magic Kingdom,
I am thinking this could be a push for me as well. However since we were just at Disney for Marathon Weekend, (not to mention the craziness going on in the world right now) I doubt there’s another trip to Disney in the cards for me anytime soon...

ATTQOTD: What made me decide to bump my running up to a half-marathon was sobriety. Six months after I quit drinking I started thinking about a way to celebrate a year. Decided to do something I wouldn’t have done when drinking and decided to run a half-marathon. As for then bumping up to a marathon, after I ran my second half-marathon I decided that I felt good after 13.1 miles and still had plenty in the tank. So why not.
Congratulations!! That’s a great way to celebrate such a milestone and I love your perspective!

For me, all it took was for somebody to say "you can't do a marathon"!

ETA: That somebody was my wife! I am SOOO glad she didn't say "You can't replace the siding"!!! I think I'd give in on that challenge! :)

Last edited:
I got busy setting up the cold smoker this morning and got out to run later than usual. The number of folks out running/walking was ABSURD. In three years of running this route I have never seen so many people. And almost all were social distancing. Which is great.

Now part of the reason is the weather is ideal. It's cool enough to go run almost any time you want. I'm very curious how many are still going to be doing this in a few months when the heat and humidity arrive. I expect I'll have the streets to myself again running at 5:30 a.m. to catch the day low of 80 degrees.

We are seeing a lot more people out and about. We have a pretty extensive park system and many of them have roads through them. They closed some of the roads to traffic to allow more people to be able to exercise while staying 6 feet from other people. It is hard to do on the all purpose paths with the increase in people. In the neighborhoods around me I've seen a lot more people out as well. I've done runs in the middle of a Saturday and there were no kids out playing but since this started kids are in their driveways playing with siblings or parents. It is nice to see and I hope it continues once we are back to normal.

I was living in FL and a friend of mine asked if I wanted to run a 5K. I always played sports and worked out but never liked running long distances but I was out of college and had time on my hands and wanted a new challenge. I was hooked after my first 5K and moved back north a few months later. I had my FL Annual pass through the next February so figured why not get up to a half marathon (I had 6 months which was plenty of time to go from a 5K to half) and go back to marathon weekend before my pass expired.

I ended up running 4 halves that first year and decided I wanted to do a full but kept putting off the training. It was 3 1/2 years later I did my first full. I still much prefer halves to fulls but have done 4 fulls at this point and am planning my 5th. Originally it was going to be this fall but between the Quarantine and grad school I'm going to do it next fall. I'll be done with my MBA next July and will get back a lot of time.

I've been mostly lurking here but wanted to let everyone know they are re-running old Boston Marathons all day on the Olympic channel! 2016 is on right now.

QOTD yesterday: I had been a runner off and on since high school, but never more than a few miles at a time. When I had my two kids, I stayed home for a few years and running dropped off, and the weight piled on. I went back to work after a few years and decided I was miserable without running in my life. I joined a couch to 5k program and made progress coming back. But I owe my distance running career to my office mate, who was younger than me and a marathon runner. She actually suggested to me that I could run a half marathon. I told her 1) at my age (36) I was too old to get into distance running :rotfl2: and 2) I could never run for 2+ hours without stopping to drink something. And I was too klutzy to run and drink at the same time. My office mate told me that she WALKS through the water stops and still considers herself a runner, she said tons of people do it. That was a revelation to me.

It took me another 3 weeks of visiting the registration page for my local half marathon, every day, almost hitting the button and chickening out. Finally dh just said "will you sign up already instead of thinking and talking about it". I trained for it using a Hal Higdon beginner half plan and the rest is history!

You CAN do it if you want to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter