The Running Thread -- 2022

QOTD! Ok so it's 2 questions.

If you set goals for 2021 (in the 2021 thread or just on your own), how did you do? What did they teach you about yourself?

What are your running goals for 2022? Big or small, share them all!
ATTQOTD: New Year = New Goals

or mostly the same running related goals.?
(1) Remain healthy and injury free. This will require a better plan for strengthening without access to anything I can't hide in a shoebox. All the clamshells, leg raises, and lunges I can find time for are insufficient.
(2)Be consistent. 3+ runs a week is the target, with a year end average of >3.5 being a stretch but not unrealistic regardless of WFH or return to in-person work. I did ok last year, but I am curious to see how it goes without access to a treadmill over the winter.
(3) Beat last year's mileage. As I only missed this by 2% last year I think it is more about paying attention. I can easily see where I could have made this happen, but I needed to do so before December.
(4) be a little bit faster than before
(5) make more time to run with my kiddos before they loose interest in running with me.
(6) give up holding out for the perfect replacement running clothes. Having lost 1 pair of winter leggings, 2 pair of capris, and 3 sports bras to wear and tear in 2020, there is work to do. On January 1 I went to the local running store to get myself a pair of wool socks that meet the bottom of my remaining fleece tights so I do not have an ankle bracelet of windburn, so I will count this as early progress on the goal!

(1) YES!
(2) Mostly yes. This was hard as work travel resumed and DH had to take care of family business out of state so some of those 'runs' were from one end of DTW to the other or the half mile I could bribe a child to go.
(3) Yes, but not by the margin I had hoped
(4) Nope. Garmin tells me my pace for 2021 was exactly the same as 2020. But I got a year older and did not get slower so draw!
(5) Not a lot as they have already lost interest unless there is a Mickey Bar promised at the end.
(6) Big ole fail. I mean, I bought new running leggings but they seem to now be 'work from home pants'
Overall I am happy with 2021 running but would like to add to it in 2022

2022-
I am changing jobs in February so it is hard to predict anything so for now I am aiming small.
(1) Keep up with the 3+ runs a week. A stretch goal is to move this out of the 40 minutes for my 'lunch hour' and get some longer runs in at least once or twice a month.
(2) Beat 2021's mileage
(3) Keep Pestering the kids, but do the things they love, too (I really dislike the YouTube movement videos, but they love them- particularly Minecraft themed)
(4) Continue enjoying running- there were very few runs in 2021 that I wished I had skipped.
(5) Find a new 10K. I like this distance and it is not so common. I am toying with one in April, but it has not been family schedule approved yet.
(6) find more ways to run on non-concrete. I run the same sidewalks in a 2 mile radius from my house and need to branch out. When I went to the office I ran on a track hidden in trees or on a trail near work, and I miss it. I suppose if I got in more of those longer runs I could get to a city park with trails in the middle without having to drive anywhere.

2021 goals went out the window the first week of January when I found out I was pregnant. From there I didn’t really run and just walked when possible. It was a crazy busy year with buying a house and having a baby so fitness goals took a backseat to life.

2022 -
1.want to build my fitness back. I lost all my baby weight, but I am no where near where I was fitness wise pre-baby. We just bought a treadmill so I want to get back out there.
2. Run some race - unsure of distance or when. Will decide that later this Spring
3. Do more strength and core workouts. My core especially needs this.
4. hopefully use my running stroller this summer when baby can actually sit in it without their car seat attachment.
5. hopefully get more sleep. This baby needs to go back to sleeping through the night.

ATTQOTD:
-keep the running volume up and don't feel burned out.
-run in a new race that I haven't previously done
-PR either in the half or 10 mile distance
-Kept up my mileage and did the most miles I’ve done in a year, 2,662.
-Did two new races that I hadn’t done before, one of which I plan to do annually now.
-Lol, I set the bar real low here. I should have said run a fall marathon. Did the Erie Marathon back in September.
-Got a PR in both distances

ATTQOTD
-Stay injury free and keep up the six day a week schedule. I don’t plan on doing as much mileage as last year but I think 2,200-2,400 should be feasible.
-Run one new race and travel to a new location for one.
-Race more. I do the same half dozen or so races every year and then maybe one or two additional ones. I’d like to do more local races, even if they’re 5Ks. I’d like to find a new 10 miler in addition to the one I do every November.
-PR in at least one distance. I’ll do everything from a one mile to a full this year so I think I can eek out a new PR somewhere.
-Do a duathlon.

Eh, not sure what goals I may have had for 2021 and not going to go back to look as I am sure I didn’t hit most, if any of them. Last year wasn’t a great running year for me. Long stretches were I just didn’t run.

2022 Goals:
- Get back into a running routine
- Get back to strength training
- Run an Ultra

Just joined the community this fall and would love to join this running journey with you all for 2022! 🥳

My Goals:
  1. Safely complete the Disney Princess HM. I’ve been using this as my carrot on the stick to get back into working out regularly. Been following a training plan and feeling great, if slow.
  2. Run a 5k without stopping. Something has really clicked this last year and I’ve got the running bug - Would love to scale it back after the HM and just focus on doing shorter distances without a break and improving speed.
  3. Incorporate more strength training. Right now I’m doing body weight workouts once a week as I recover from a shoulder injury, hoping to do some serious gym time as I improve and (hopefully) things are safer.
  4. Stretch Goal: I lost 10 pounds in the fall/winter as training ramped up, would love to trim down another 10-20 this year as I’m able to get back into the gym.
Finally, more of a “Why” than a “Goal” but: Have a safe and happy wedding this fall! I hope to use running to relieve some of the stress that comes with planning such a big life event, and when the day comes, just let go and enjoy the company of my friends and family and not sweat the small stuff or whatever details are inevitably imperfect. 🥰

I have a running confession to make. I've always thought people who ran in the winter were crazy. Why would you do that to yourself when instead you could be warm inside? Well, I went for a short run today, in -3C (26F), and dare I say it was actually enjoyable? Definitely more enjoyable than running in the summer, when I'm hot before I've even started running.

So I guess now I'm one of those "crazy" people running in the winter. I'll likely need some recommendations for when it's actually cold here, since I think what I was wearing will likely only be good to about -10C (14F).

I have a running confession to make. I've always thought people who ran in the winter were crazy. Why would you do that to yourself when instead you could be warm inside? Well, I went for a short run today, in -3C (26F), and dare I say it was actually enjoyable? Definitely more enjoyable than running in the summer, when I'm hot before I've even started running.

So I guess now I'm one of those "crazy" people running in the winter. I'll likely need some recommendations for when it's actually cold here, since I think what I was wearing will likely only be good to about -10C (14F).
Congratulations, I run outside year round and really enjoy it. Fresh air and nature win every time for me.

As a rule of thumb, consider that running makes it 10°C hotter than it is outside. It is ok to feel slightly cold at the start, to be comfortable after a 10 minutes warmup.

So at a few degree above zero, I typically end up with a long sleeves shirt.
Below zero, I add a thick polar fleece, gloves and headband. Especially if there is wind.
Below -10°C, I switch to a warmer fleece style jacket, panelled pants (or pants-skirt combination), hat and mittens. I add a neck warmer and put merino wool ski socks. I adjust depending on the conditions.

Other things to consider buying for safety are crampons/cleats (Yaktrax Run for me) for slippery conditions and lights (Noxgear Tracer for me) for night conditions.

Obviously, when below -20°C, I plan to shorten my outings or to be able to do it and come back to warmth rapidly. At those temperatures, being attentive to potential frost bites is important. Also, carrying water is not super possible as it freezes.

Congratulations, I run outside year round and really enjoy it. Fresh air and nature win every time for me.

As a rule of thumb, consider that running makes it 10°C hotter than it is outside. It is ok to feel slightly cold at the start, to be comfortable after a 10 minutes warmup.

So at a few degree above zero, I typically end up with a long sleeves shirt.
Below zero, I add a thick polar fleece, gloves and headband. Especially if there is wind.
Below -10°C, I switch to a warmer fleece style jacket, panelled pants (or pants-skirt combination), hat and mittens. I add a neck warmer and put merino wool ski socks. I adjust depending on the conditions.

Other things to consider buying for safety are crampons/cleats (Yaktrax Run for me) for slippery conditions and lights (Noxgear Tracer for me) for night conditions.

Obviously, when below -20°C, I plan to shorten my outings or to be able to do it and come back to warmth rapidly. At those temperatures, being attentive to potential frost bites is important. Also, carrying water is not super possible as it freezes.

This is wonderful advice - Back from a month with my folks in California and I’m facing my first Chicago winter where I actually want to be outside. Trying to get things together to test them out this week before a long run scheduled for Saturday. Definitely going to be fighting a learning curve, but at least the city school nearby salts their track and leaves it open on weekends for the public, so it should be smooth sailing once I get going.

Obviously, when below -20°C, I plan to shorten my outings or to be able to do it and come back to warmth rapidly. At those temperatures, being attentive to potential frost bites is important.

Here's a bizarre one for you. I've run in as low as -30F. I've been running outside in WI winters for nearly a decade now. I've gotten mild frostbite on my ears once. It was 30F outside. I was like, wait, what? I couldn't even believe it. Thankfully, it was mild and was healed in about a week's time.

Running in a light snow with little wind IMHO is one of the best experiences. It's slightly more cushiony on the road and there's just a peaceful quiet. It seems like you hear only your breathing and the crunch of snow under your feet.

With regards to clothing, if it's above 32F/0C, I'm still good with shorts. Below that, and I'll probably wear loose-fitting running pants if the "feels like" is in the 20's (F) or below. I'll wear a short sleeve tech shirt under a long sleeve tech shirt at <32F. I have several types of knit hats depending on temp and wind. If it's really cold, I'll add a balavaka (spelling?).

Having said that, I had two close calls with cars on slick/icy roads that could have been disastrous so if there's any ice or anything slick on the roads, nope, I'll wait it out. Not taking chances any more when the consequences could be so steep.

Enjoy!

Running in a light snow with little wind IMHO is one of the best experiences. It's slightly more cushiony on the road and there's just a peaceful quiet. It seems like you hear only your breathing and the crunch of snow under your feet.

With regards to clothing, if it's above 32F/0C, I'm still good with shorts. Below that, and I'll probably wear loose-fitting running pants if the "feels like" is in the 20's (F) or below. I'll wear a short sleeve tech shirt under a long sleeve tech shirt at <32F. I have several types of knit hats depending on temp and wind. If it's really cold, I'll add a balavaka (spelling?).

Having said that, I had two close calls with cars on slick/icy roads that could have been disastrous so if there's any ice or anything slick on the roads, nope, I'll wait it out. Not taking chances any more when the consequences could be so steep.

Enjoy!

I had one of those magical runs in the light snow on Friday. But I did stay on side roads and really paid attention to any on-coming plows or cars -so great tip on safety!

There is a chance that we're going to be in San Diego on April 10th. I see there is the "San Diego Beach and Bay Half Marathon" that weekend. I've had the "San Diego Half Marathon" (no "Beach" in the title) on my running bucket list for several years. The "San Diego Half Marathon" is pretty big with 5,000-10,000 runners. The "San Diego Beach and Bay Half Marathon" is smaller with 1,000-5,000 runners.

Does anybody have experience they want to share about the "San Diego Beach and Bay Half Marathon"? There are only a few reviews on RaceRave and the first is not positive...although it's more about the communication regarding the cancellation for COVID rather than the race itself.

I hope this question fits here. It *is* running and it *is* 2022. :) I didn't really think an new topic needed to be started. Moderator(s) - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks everyone. I'll keep playing around with what I have at home (years of working outside in Winnipeg through winter means I have a good collection of wool items), and then supplement as needed.

Weird, I’ve always thought the ones on the treadmill were the crazy ones. 🤪 I go insane at just the thought of running in place for any period of time.

My fitbit is about to bite the dust. Thinking of switching to a Garmin.... What watch does everyone have? Do you like it?

My fitbit is about to bite the dust. Thinking of switching to a Garmin.... What watch does everyone have? Do you like it?

I have a Garmin 235 and like it alot. It's well over 3 years old and I'm sure it is several model versions old by now but I'll keep it until it dies or the new ones are too awesome to resist. I switched to Garmin back in 2012 after, coincidentally, my Fitbit died. That original works. I only upgraded to the 235 because of the smart features and the incredible Black-Friday deal at my local running store.

Good luck!

I've got the Forerunner 945 and I'm very happy with it, but it's also likely more than most people need. I wanted music storage plus maps, because I like to plot routes for my long runs and it gives me turn-by-turn directions. I don't use the music much at all anymore, though.

Any of the less expensive Forerunners will have all the running metrics you need, and the only reason to go up in price is for more intrinsic features as wanted. DC Rainmaker has an excellent product comparison tool so you can see side-by-side what each one offers.

I started with the Forerunner 225/235 series and they were fantastic watches. I run with a Forerunner 945 now because I wanted more advanced metrics. The Forerunner 245 would be a great entry point for you and then if you feel the need for more data and metrics in the future you can upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter