The Running Thread--2024

Does anyone else get really sore from speed workouts? This does not generally happen to me, but my left leg (I couldn't really tell if it was my hamstring or quadricep or perhaps both) was really sore following my interval workout of 4 x 1.5 miles. It lasted for most of my rest day yesterday up until the early evening. Nonetheless, the human body is amazing as it recovers from soreness because I woke up today and it was like the soreness was never there.

I definitely get sore after harder effort running workouts. It's a pretty normal thing. Sometimes you can get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) as well where the soreness isn't immediate but appears later. Also, normal. If the soreness is influencing the next activity is when you should make sure you're backing off a little. I commonly feel sore during an easy run the day after a hard run and gauge that soreness as an indicator of backing off the effort even more. During the Hansons training plan, you won't feel fresh leading into every run, and that's ok. Some of the purpose of training is learning through trial and error what are "ok" feelings, and what are injuries.

Does anyone else get really sore from speed workouts?
Yes, I do have occasional soreness if it's a tougher speed workout and/or I am running in an area with excessively high elevation change (ie, lots of HILL work). I also find that if I am stingy with my pre-activation exercises and post-run stretching, I am more sore than usual. So for me, the preventative care (included the much dreaded foam rolling) goes a long way. 😊

2024 goals:
Strength train.
Continue some training over the winter.

I was going to run a half when we go to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise in March, but I might do the 5k instead and strength train after this race weekend. I have to do something though to get through winter and not have seasonal depression issues again.

2024 goals-

I have 4 races lined up, the first three are the RUN SLC series starting next month which are only for fun, then Revel Big Cottonwood in September for PR shot which leads to-

Lose another 60 pounds which is doable as long as-

Things in general don’t continue to be problematic for me and I don’t have monthly illnesses and stay healthy-ish, but what kicked off the series of unfortunate events, and not running related-

My car is almost back together after blowing the motor last January. Hopefully, now that it is on the upswing my mental state will continue to do well, and business at the restaurant has been good recently after sales plummeted in August.

If you miss your long run due to illness do you skip it and just pick up wherever you would have been in your training plan? Or do you juggle the week around to fit it in when you’re feeling better? I was scheduled for 16 last Sunday and 17 this weekend. Feeling completely better now but I’m thinking it’s better to call the 16-miler a loss. I mean, even writing this out, I know the smart answer is probably pretty obvious, but the end of marathon training cycle nerves are getting to me! 😂

Happy New Year!

If you miss your long run due to illness do you skip it and just pick up wherever you would have been in your training plan? Or do you juggle the week around to fit it in when you’re feeling better? I was scheduled for 16 last Sunday and 17 this weekend. Feeling completely better now but I’m thinking it’s better to call the 16-miler a loss. I mean, even writing this out, I know the smart answer is probably pretty obvious, but the end of marathon training cycle nerves are getting to me! 😂

Happy New Year!

I think the answer is it depends within the context of several other factors. Like first time marathon (or half marathon), when this occurs in relation to the race, how many days per week and miles per week you normally run, how long it takes to run 16/17 miles, etc. But in your case, given you were scheduled for 16 last weekend and 17 the following weekend, I wouldn't do 16 on Thurs/Fri and then 17 on Sunday. Seems too close.

Personally when one of my runners encounters a scenario where they missed a run, my advice is more often than not to just move on. Big picture, a single training run matters very little. If you miss more than 4 days of running, then we start to adjust the training downwards to accommodate lost time.

I don't have this exact scenario covered, by I do discuss what happens to training load when you miss either your last long run, or the entire peak week here:

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles: Part 2

I think the answer is it depends within the context of several other factors. Like first time marathon (or half marathon), when this occurs in relation to the race, how many days per week and miles per week you normally run, how long it takes to run 16/17 miles, etc. But in your case, given you were scheduled for 16 last weekend and 17 the following weekend, I wouldn't do 16 on Thurs/Fri and then 17 on Sunday. Seems too close.

Personally when one of my runners encounters a scenario where they missed a run, my advice is more often than not to just move on. Big picture, a single training run matters very little. If you miss more than 4 days of running, then we start to adjust the training downwards to accommodate lost time.

I don't have this exact scenario covered, by I do discuss what happens to training load when you miss either your last long run, or the entire peak week here:

Training Load Calculations on Different Training Plans for Different Fitness Profiles: Part 2
I should have asked this question earlier, because I actually spent a lot of time debating Hansons vs Higdon Advanced 1 at the beginning of this training cycle—this would have been so helpful! I went with Higdon Advanced 1 because the midweek mileage for Hanson seemed daunting to me. But I think I’ll give Hanson a try for my fall marathon.

My race is March 17 and I’ve been pretty good about sticking to the plan for most of it, so I’m going to follow that advice and try to put the missed 16 miler out of mind. Thank you!

I went with Higdon Advanced 1 because the midweek mileage for Hanson seemed daunting to me. But I think I’ll give Hanson a try for my fall marathon.

I think that's an important point. Commit before starting the training plan to which can realistically fit in your personal schedule. Hansons might be a better training plan for you, but only if you can actually do the duration required mid-week. For many people, that means a 90 min Tues and 120 min Thurs in the second 8 weeks of the training plan. That's not an insignificant time commitment for many.

then Revel Big Cottonwood in September for PR shot
Ohhhhh! I am curious @Professor_Cookie have you run Big Cottonwood before? DH is thinking about signing up for it this year to PR his marathon time and snag a BQ! We are doing the Mt. Charleston Half in April and I was hoping there might be some other REVELers out here. This will be my first Revel race. 😊

2024 goals: lose some weight and get faster

Also I'm not getting a first good impression from the race runners of one of the halves I'm trying to get in. Tried contacting them twice about whether they allow racing wheelchairs. Because I am not going to sign up if I don't know if I'm allowed to race. We're closing in on a month since first attempt. And at this point I have had zero responses from them.

Like I would take even a 'we don't know and we need to check and get back to you' at this point. I know they had a race before Christmas so I gave them some leeway then. But this is getting out of hand.

Ohhhhh! I am curious @Professor_Cookie have you run Big Cottonwood before? DH is thinking about signing up for it this year to PR his marathon time and snag a BQ! We are doing the Mt. Charleston Half in April and I was hoping there might be some other REVELers out here. This will be my first Revel race. 😊
I would also love to hear about experiences with both! I did Revel Big Bear half last year and it completely wrecked my body, but it was crazy fast. I’m tentatively planning for either Big Cottonwood or Charleston full in 2025 to shoot for a BQ if I’m close enough by then to think I have a shot. Different people have told me one or the other is better for various reasons. Please come back with a report from your half, too! 😃

I would also love to hear about experiences with both! I did Revel Big Bear half last year and it completely wrecked my body, but it was crazy fast. I’m tentatively planning for either Big Cottonwood or Charleston full in 2025 to shoot for a BQ if I’m close enough by then to think I have a shot. Different people have told me one or the other is better for various reasons. Please come back with a report from your half, too! 😃
Oh yes, will do for sure! I am curious @Marebear_runs what wrecked you at Big Bear? Was it a PR for you? You said it was crazy fast so now I am wondering! I'd love to hear more about your experience. I am sitting on a 2:05 half right now and I am hoping Mt. Charleston Half will get me under my sub two goal time. I do a lot of elevation training with the hope that it helps. 🙏

Oh yes, will do for sure! I am curious @Marebear_runs what wrecked you at Big Bear? Was it a PR for you? You said it was crazy fast so now I am wondering! I'd love to hear more about your experience. I am sitting on a 2:05 half right now and I am hoping Mt. Charleston Half will get me under my sub two goal time. I do a lot of elevation training with the hope that it helps. 🙏
Oh, you should have no problem getting under 2, I’d think! I crushed my PR at Big Bear by at about 10 minutes.

What wrecked me was the effect of the amount of downhill on my muscles. It didn’t hurt during but I was in so much pain after. I could barely move for days. I thought I had done sufficient downhill training but I guess not! It was an absolutely beautiful run though and very enjoyable in the moment. It’s an amazing feeling to just sort of fly down a mountain.

Hi all! Long time no see! I’m going to try to hop back into the running thread this year.

I got into the Chicago Marathon (anyone else?), so my goal is to steadily build mileage and speed going into my training plan. I had my 2nd baby last year, so I hope as I keep building mileage/fitness, I can also drop the last of the baby weight.

Hi all! Long time no see! I’m going to try to hop back into the running thread this year.

I got into the Chicago Marathon (anyone else?), so my goal is to steadily build mileage and speed going into my training plan. I had my 2nd baby last year, so I hope as I keep building mileage/fitness, I can also drop the last of the baby weight.
Welcome back and congratulations 🥳

Running goals for me are marathon PR at Grandma's and losing at least 10lbs this year. Been working on coming back from a pinched sciatic never, and it's been a slow grind. So also working on including more strength training in general to try to prevent future injury.

Trying to hop back into the thread this year! Hi everyone!

Considering Dopey 2025, so trying to get my head wrapped around that. I’ve been a very consistent runner - just slow. I’ve been good about strength and want to keep that up - but trying to figure out how to balance running, strength, and adequate recovery.

Sounds good! Diet Dr Pepper is my vice- it’s just so good. I’m not quite ready to give it up yet… but getting ready to be ready, lol!
Ooh, Diet Dr. Pepper was my vice of choice for a long time. When I was working in the office still I would save up my quarters and get one from the vending machine on bad days.

Today I drank the last can of Cherry Coke Zero in the package. Then I went to the grocery store and bought some flavored seltzer waters and yummy coffees.

Now my resolve, nay promise, is not to buy another 12 pack. I plan report each week in my running journal on my levels of goodness/badness. Fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter