The Running Thread--2024

Saw the dr today to review the MRI results and get a game plan. Let me start with the good news. He said no surgery. However maybe that should be yet. Here is the best line from the report with the Dr.

-No arthroscopy indicated, should manage nonop until arthroplasty in the future

The concern from the MRI was the arthritis i had on the outside of my knee cap. It is bone on bone and pretty large area. His comment was surgery on the meniscus is not going to help. Keeping me active is the best thing to do until i have to have knee replacement.

Next week i see another dr, who specializes in running and non operative solutions. It could be some injections. I will need to continue seeing my PT. I need to work on strength (which i started) and will have to do more cross training and a little less running. The good news is i should be able to run. I might stick with halfs for the year though. Get my strength up before i try marathon training.
That’s some good news! I have read good things about PRP injections to treat arthritis.
Does anyone have a 10 miler training plan they like? I'm running the Cherry Blossom 10 miler, and hoping to use it as POT for wine and dine.
I looked at Hal Higdon's intermediate plan, but I don't have time to run 6 miles during the week, which is what it calls for. And the novice plan doesn't look like enough.

I'm also interested in a 10-miler plan, as I'm doing SS and have never done that distance.
I used a half marathon plan for Springtime Surprise two years in a row and will use one again for this year.

Assuming I get in to the marathon next year, I’m already trying to figure out if I should incorporate some races to do during training as part of long runs. I’d wait until after registration to decide, but Wine and Dine registration happens first. 🤪 I’m also considering the Space Coast half. I have no idea planning wise what I should be considering so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Trying to get back into running after ~10 years of sedentary lifestyle. I did a local Parkrun 5k right before Christmas pushing a double stroller in about 34 min, so my next goal was sub-30 min. I did it! Polynesian PR! (well my best since Strava was invented anyway). Wish all my runs could be at Disney, so beautiful. Sorry to the boat captain that yelled at me for jogging on the pier!

1705455314848.png

Assuming I get in to the marathon next year, I’m already trying to figure out if I should incorporate some races to do during training as part of long runs. I’d wait until after registration to decide, but Wine and Dine registration happens first. 🤪 I’m also considering the Space Coast half. I have no idea planning wise what I should be considering so any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
I've always found it to be easiest to work backwards. Assume you're going to get into the marathon. Pick your marathon training plan and build it into the calendar. Look at the weekends when you have near race distances on the schedule and then look for local races that you can run as supported training runs those weekends. If there's a race that particularly appeals to you, it's ok to shift your training schedule by a week up or down to accommodate it. Using races as supported training runs Is great because you get a break from your routine training routes and you can practice fueling and hydration strategies in a race environment.

Hot take:
Evaluate those potential races (catered long runs?) VERY carefully because that can be an expensive undertaking and (since I’m pretty sure we have similar paces) can be pretty eye opening for back-of-the-pack runners.

Hot take:
Evaluate those potential races (catered long runs?) VERY carefully because that can be an expensive undertaking and (since I’m pretty sure we have similar paces) can be pretty eye opening for back-of-the-pack runners.
Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I’m considering Space Coast, they have a very long time limit.

So update on my adventure to find a race for timing for Grandmas:

Over DL weekend had a talk with another girl who is significantly faster than me. And basically got told not to worry too much about placement for Grandmas.

Mind you this girl is top of the rD pushrim division and can do a 28 minute 10k. And yet to quote her ‘when the big kids come out to play’ aka races like Grandmas she’s on the slower end.

(Which I kind of knew already I would be slow. Tatyana McFaddan is the literal face of the wheelchair page for Grandmas and she’s one of the biggest names in the division.)

Which is just mind boggling.

So apparently I’m not only going to be slow. But really slow compared to the rest of our field. Since I’m a 11-12 minute mile on average and can get up to 9 min mile if I’m feeling good.

But nowhere approaching the big kids.

Guess everyone has to start somewhere?

In the end I’ve decided I still want a time. Just because basically but she did end up taking some pressure off. I am switching to a local race after finding out via the local Achilles head that there is a flat and fast 1/2 at the end of April. Just in time for submission. And get to save money on travel.

Last edited:
Wellllllll doing the Disneyland 5K has gotten me re-obsessed with runDisney and now I want to do Coast to Coast so I guess I have to start running again ... which I guess means I'm back on this thread for the first time in years. Hi people who I somewhat know!! :wave2:
Welcome back!

I had a
For most of my marathon plans I incorporated at least one half as a training run.

During my last plan I did two. The first was on my 16 mile long run day. I did the half at L pace and then did a 3 miles of the full course (1.54 out and 1.5 back).

The other was when the schedule called for a 3 mile warm up, ten at M pace, then 3 down. I did my 3 before the race, started at M pace for 10, and finished the last 3 as a cool down.

It is nice having the water stops and the race atmosphere for the long runs on occasion.

If you like races, go for it! A few years ago, I dialed back on races so I could “optimize” my training. While I enjoy training, I love the race day atmosphere. I ended up burnt out by the end of training and one contributing factor was definitely the lack of races.

As others have mentioned, you may need to adjust your schedule or run the races at a training pace instead of race pace.

Just remember, you’re doing this for fun! Do whatever makes you happy. 😄

I like the idea of some races in the interim as an intermediate goal to target for training purposes , plus giving you a measuring stick for assessing progress.

Last edited:
@SarahDisney Welcome back! I had already taken notice that you were here!🥰

@nancipants DH and I generally build in races during training: Lake Hartwell Dam Run 5k or 10k in May, PTRR 10k in July, ATL10 miler in Oct., W&D 5k and Challenge to get in back to back practice in November, as well as ATL Thanksgiving half. We also have a few local 5ks in our hometown. These races keep me looking forward to a race on the calendar so I have a “reason” to keep going until January!

And to keep things interesting, I usually spend time in June at Ponce Inlet, FL and do runs on the beach at sunrise. And for the last few years, we have been traveling to Chattanooga just before Christmas to do our last long training run on the Tennessee Riverwalk as a change of pace and a reward for completing the tough part just before the taper!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter