• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread--2024

You guys are killing me running this race the year I've had to take a step back and skip it! The distance is very challenging, but so so rewarding when you finish it. The good news is it's 100% paved and entire flat, barring a couple of bridges. The big question is how comfortable are you with open road running? There are some sections of sidewalk, but the vast majority of the race is on the paved shoulder of NC-12, a busy 2-lane highway. You're going to be a couple of feet from oncoming traffic a lot of the time. I've never really felt unsafe running it, but not everyone is comfortable with that type of running and forewarned is forearmed.

Every time I've run it has been coming off of a Dopey, so I can tell you what has worked for me from a training standpoint. My goal has just been to finish upright and as comfortable as possible. To do it, while trying to minimize my weekly mileage totals to prevent overuse injury during training, I've taken my @DopeyBadger Dopey training plan (5 days/week, TWHSaSu) as the base, working backwards from race day on the plan. I keep the total weekly mileage and the long run distances constant and move some of the mid-week mileage to the Saturday run, so I'm running med-long at easy pace on Saturday and long at long run pace on Sunday. My normal max long run is 16 miles, so my max weekend ends up around 10m Sat/16m Sun. Also, I keep the target pacing as called for by the plan. I think maintaining the faster pacing (compared to planned ultra pace) gives me an extra level of endurance to draw from as I slow it down for the race. I think your pacing strategy looks reasonable as a first plan, just be prepared to adjust things on the fly, as needed. I definitely think it's an achievable goal.

Logistically, are you planning to have a crew vehicle carrying supplies for you? I find that's the best plan, as there are only 3 or 4 bag drop locations on the point to point course. I would be willing to try the 100k uncrewed, but I recommend having a crew vehicle so you have all your supplies relatively close to hand as well as someone to help in the event of injury or inclement weather. Let me know what questions I can answer for you. If you decide to go for it, I can recommend a good hotel close to the start, too. Good luck!

Definitely comfortable on the side of the road to start, a little nervous about heading into dark and being punch drunk tired. My wife would be my only support but would drop anything I need or want somewhere with very little notice. Was planning on starting with 50 miler to jump up to ultras but this just really looks good, and I’ve heard you talk about it being very well run. That being said I really don’t know what I need for equipment or supplies yet and hate to rush into things but it fits on the schedule this year so there that…
My usual run week is long run Monday (10 miles when not training for a race) and 5 miles Wed-Sat. I was thinking about working up to back to back 20 milers the first week of March and then a 2-1/2 week taper. We’ll see, trying to decide by the end of the weekend.

Definitely comfortable on the side of the road to start, a little nervous about heading into dark and being punch drunk tired. My wife would be my only support but would drop anything I need or want somewhere with very little notice. Was planning on starting with 50 miler to jump up to ultras but this just really looks good, and I’ve heard you talk about it being very well run. That being said I really don’t know what I need for equipment or supplies yet and hate to rush into things but it fits on the schedule this year so there that…
My usual run week is long run Monday (10 miles when not training for a race) and 5 miles Wed-Sat. I was thinking about working up to back to back 20 milers the first week of March and then a 2-1/2 week taper. We’ll see, trying to decide by the end of the weekend.
The weather on the Outer Banks in March is the biggest wildcard. It can change quickly and can be anywhere from the 20s to the 80s with winds ranging from light breezes to “rip your bib off”. It might rain, it might not. From an equipment standpoint, here’s what I try to have available:

Tracer360 or dual strobes (course mandated)
Head/chest lamp or equivalent (course mandated)
Extra batteries for above (course mandated)

2-3 extra pairs of shoes & socks
Sunscreen
Wet weather gear
Extra shirts/shorts to cover a wide temp range
Clothes to change into post-race (it’s a long drive back to the hotel)

Fluids of your choice in case you get tired of on-course options (generally Tailwind & water on course)
Nutrition you know works, just in case

Having the chase vehicle is nice, if for no other reason than to not have to carry your lighting for the whole race.

Last edited:

January was all about Marathon Weekend. Dopey contributed close to half of my mileage for the month and walking in the parks really boosted my walking total. After a brief rest, I've been looking to lose some weight and get back to more normal pacing so that I can take a shot at a new PoT in a March or April half. So far, so good, so here are the January numbers:

January Training Summary
Running Miles: 101.03
Running Time: 20:04:04
Average Pace: 0:12:00/mi
Average HR: 143/min
YTD Mileage: 101.03 mi

Other
Walking Miles: 63.06
Rolling 12mo Miles: 1,411.57 mi

I always pee myself when I run. Who has time to stop to use the bathroom??

(This is a joke.)
Kind of a funny story loosely related to this (and maybe too much info to share)...

At this year's WDW Marathon, I used the bathroom before I got in the line for the corrals (~3ish). I was right at the front of corral A and didn't want to lose my spot by using the bathroom close to the start of the race. I considered using a bottle, but couldn't figure out the logistics in a crowd of people without being carted away for indecent exposure. So I resigned myself to the fact that I would need to stop somewhere efficiently on course. I am not someone who stops for characters, etc., and I run for time, so I was not happy about this development. Amazingly enough, I made it through all 26.2 miles without needing to go, and even made it back to my resort without it being an emergency. I couldn't believe it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter