The Running Thread--2024

Several years ago, I kept having the problem that my Galaxy phone (don't remember the version #) kept accidentally activating things when I got really sweaty on summer runs and it bounced around in my hydration vest pocket. The worst thing was TWO different times when it turned my screen brightness down to minimum - on a sunny summer day, even in the shade, it's nearly impossible to see the near-black screen to turn the brightness back up! LOL

After this happened the first time, I looked into deactivating the touch activation, but even if my screen was locked, there was no way to disable being able to pull open those settings and change the screen brightness. (As I said, this was a few versions ago for the phone, so this may have changed.)

The second time it happened was during the Space Coast marathon - for the last maybe 10k, I couldn't see my phone screen at all! When I got done, I was able to go inside where it was dark enough to be able to barely see the screen and change it. Sooooo frustrating!
Easy solution—switch to Apple 🤣🤣

Several years ago, I kept having the problem that my Galaxy phone (don't remember the version #) kept accidentally activating things when I got really sweaty on summer runs and it bounced around in my hydration vest pocket. The worst thing was TWO different times when it turned my screen brightness down to minimum - on a sunny summer day, even in the shade, it's nearly impossible to see the near-black screen to turn the brightness back up! LOL

After this happened the first time, I looked into deactivating the touch activation, but even if my screen was locked, there was no way to disable being able to pull open those settings and change the screen brightness. (As I said, this was a few versions ago for the phone, so this may have changed.)

The second time it happened was during the Space Coast marathon - for the last maybe 10k, I couldn't see my phone screen at all! When I got done, I was able to go inside where it was dark enough to be able to barely see the screen and change it. Sooooo frustrating!

In the Display settings, there's an Accidental Touch Protection you can turn on. I find it works well when I put my phone in my skirt or shorts pocket for runs and races.

Is this a problem that needed to be solved? Asking for real--I've never had an issue wearing a HRM (other than the Yahoo! feeling of putting a cold monitor on warm skin)

Also, annoying that it is the more expense than all their other HRM.

It IS annoying it costs more, but I've had trouble getting a chest strap HRM comfortable under a bra band and not chafing. I am also intrigued.

Is this a problem that needed to be solved? Asking for real--I've never had an issue wearing a HRM (other than the Yahoo! feeling of putting a cold monitor on warm skin)

Also, annoying that it is the more expense than all their other HRM.
I tried a chest strap under my sports bra and found it way less accurate than my watch (like seriously, it was all over the place 😕). I don't know if the underwire was interfering with it or what, but it's definitely a problem for more than zero people 😅

Though I do agree with you about the pricing 😑

I found a really good, comprehensive review of the HRM-fit sports bra strap if anyone else is interested:

tl;dw: It was NOT a problem that needed to be solved. Regular chest straps and warm bands are easier to use and give the same data. And it does NOT seem to solve the chafing issue I have with them.

To the guys who run where it gets cold - what do you wear to run? Bonus points if its available for purchase in Canada. My husband's been looking for cold weather running gear, but hasn't been able to really find much.

To the guys who run where it gets cold - what do you wear to run? Bonus points if its available for purchase in Canada. My husband's been looking for cold weather running gear, but hasn't been able to really find much.
you might need to qualify what "cold" is. ;)

I'm not a guy, but I like the UA coldgear stuff. I have some leggings that are from their coldgear/infrared line, and also a pair of sort of windpants that work GREAT over leggings when it's cold (for me....I'm a sissy and hate running outside when it's below 40.)

I like the running pants from the Running Room. Running gloves and hat too. After that I tend to layer depending on how cold it is. -10c is my limit before hitting the treadmill.

I like the running pants from the Running Room. Running gloves and hat too. After that I tend to layer depending on how cold it is. -10c is my limit before hitting the treadmill.
What do you do for shirts?

Mostly a visual cluster**** of UA snowboard base layers from over the years. And a soft shell on top. Generally nothing but base layer and shorts on bottom. If it gets really cold(close to O*F)soft shell pants on bottom. Fleece gloves unless it’s also close to 0. Never hard shell. Might as well wear a trash bag.

That being said. I’ve transitioned to treadmill this winter. It’s nice to have a toilet near by and now that I work days, generally, and not afternoon/evening, as well as my kid having to be to school at 8 now, it makes scheduling my runs less complicated.

I think running here in Michigan qualifies for running in the cold. I am not going to be very helpful brand wise as excepting shoes and socks (for which I am very particular - Hoka Speedgoats for snow running and Balega socks all the time) everything else is about what is on sale when I buy running gear.

But here is what I wear, when the temp is dipping below freezing I put running tights on under my running shorts, switch from compression sleeves to compression socks and go from running gloves to mittens. I have noticed on long runs when it is really cold my hands suffer regardless of thickness of gloves, but mittens really kept my fingers warm. Again depends on how cold but for tops I go with a lightweight breathable tech shirt, then a pull over and then a light fleece lined jacket with a rain/wet snow protective shell. I did spend money on it - Columbia makes some good running jackets.

My goal is to alway be cold for the first mile or so of a run. Then as my body warms up I reach a good spot of being comfortable temperature wise. One issue with this though, be careful wear you are running as this does not keep you warm for long once you stop running. You could end up in trouble if hurt or lost.

Hope this helps.

So I’m not a guy, but lots of people in my women’s running group have these pants (including me). We call them Amazon pants, and they are actually men’s bicycle pants. They are wind proof and work great if you want to layer as well. Because the way they fit me (bc they are men’s fit), I do always wear tights or capris under them, because I think they would chafe.
https://a.co/d/9cR9W78
They are Baleaf Men’s Winter cycling pants.

ETA: Actually the ones I have are 4ucycling, but they are the same as the Baleaf.

Last edited:
I think running here in Michigan qualifies for running in the cold. I am not going to be very helpful brand wise as excepting shoes and socks (for which I am very particular - Hoka Speedgoats for snow running and Balega socks all the time) everything else is about what is on sale when I buy running gear.

But here is what I wear, when the temp is dipping below freezing I put running tights on under my running shorts, switch from compression sleeves to compression socks and go from running gloves to mittens. I have noticed on long runs when it is really cold my hands suffer regardless of thickness of gloves, but mittens really kept my fingers warm. Again depends on how cold but for tops I go with a lightweight breathable tech shirt, then a pull over and then a light fleece lined jacket with a rain/wet snow protective shell. I did spend money on it - Columbia makes some good running jackets.

My goal is to alway be cold for the first mile or so of a run. Then as my body warms up I reach a good spot of being comfortable temperature wise. One issue with this though, be careful wear you are running as this does not keep you warm for long once you stop running. You could end up in trouble if hurt or lost.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip on mittens vs gloves. He ends up running inside when it gets colder primarily because his hands get cold.

Thanks for the tip on mittens vs gloves. He ends up running inside when it gets colder primarily because his hands get cold.

I have a pair of convertible mitts--think of a fingerless glove with an overmitt--that I definitely drag out if the temp is really cold. Mittens keep your hands warmer, and with these, if your hand gets too warm, you can fold the overmitt back and are left with the glove part.

I have a pair of convertible mitts--think of a fingerless glove with an overmitt--that I definitely drag out if the temp is really cold. Mittens keep your hands warmer, and with these, if your hand gets too warm, you can fold the overmitt back and are left with the glove part.
These are the best thing ever. My fingers usually warm up within the first mile, so I don’t need a full mitten for very long. This winter, since it hasn’t been particularly cold, I haven’t even been wearing anything on my hands because all of my winter gear has thumb holes so I get the same benefit without the extra layer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter