The Running Thread--2024

QUESTION for all: anyone here run in the ASICS Cumulus 24 or 25?? I’m still really liking my Dynablasts for short runs… but I also really like them for non-running and I could use a pair own the road with a little more cushion for longer mileage. ASICS in general fit my feet well, and I don’t want the massive stack or squish of the Nimbus, so I’m thinking the Cumulus might be worth a look?
The Cumulus was my go-to shoe for years, but I stopped running in them over two years ago. I think the Cumulus 23 was the last model I had. I just hated the changes they were making to the shoe year after year. I'm running in Asics NovaBlast now and I am absolutely loving them!!

The Cumulus was my go-to shoe for years, but I stopped running in them over two years ago. I think the Cumulus 23 was the last model I had. I just hated the changes they were making to the shoe year after year. I'm running in Asics NovaBlast now and I am absolutely loving them!!
Another Novablast lover here! I also have the Nimbus for when I need squish but the Novablast is my absolute favorite. I ran the marathon in them this year.

Seems like I kicked off a nice shoe discussion :)

My first Glycerin 20 pair was fine, no issues there, but this second pair is causing the issues. I don't know what's different in the second pair, but obviously something is. I don't feel like I can go back to my first pair since they're over a year old now. I'll be heading to the LRS this weekend to get fitted. I feel like I've been spending $$ lately and I'm trying not to, but things keep cropping up. I do like Brooks, but something lighter, and different from my Launch 9's.

And former Bostonian here. I went to college at Babson, but wasn't a runner either. I started running after I moved from Boston, and haven't been back to run, except a turkey trot one Thanksgiving. Once my parents moved out of the region, no point in going back yet.

I just picked up a pair of the Adidas Supernova Rise and am loving them! My last pair of NB FuelCell Elite v2 finally gave out after the Disneyland races and the v3 isn't available, so I branched out. So far so good.

This shoe discussion is a nice reminder that I need new shoes. I find myself rolling inward when I land when running on the treadmill (which is where I do most of my running these days). Outside seems okay but I've been doing a lot less outside (did my first outside run since Disneyland today) so it's possible I have the same problem and just haven't noticed.

I'm also in the market for new shoes. I have 3 different shoes right now that are all fine, but I don't love any of them. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of good options locally, so I'm just dealing with it until I can figure something out. I feel like I need to just bite the bullet and order shoes online, but I don't even know where to start.

I got a pair of lock laces to try on one of my shoes. Hoping they work because I hate tying my shoes. 😝

I’m annoyed because I came up with a plan to move my treadmill near my bed so it faces the TV in my bedroom, but it’s too long for that wall. Grrrr. We have some other ideas but that involves moving around some dressers and raising the TV mount. Hopefully we can get it done because it would be very nice to have the treadmill both facing the TV AND the door, so I can see when my son barrels into the room looking for me. 😝 I predict I will be on the treadmill a lot during marathon training because Florida heat until around November.

Will this be the miracle shoe that gets me to Boston, I doubt that, still need to work more but for anyone wondering about the upgrade from the speed to the pro I think it’s worth a try.
I just stocked up on the Speed 3s thanks to an online sale, and ordered a pair of the Pro 4 too. The Speed are usually my daily training shoe (though I do use my Kayano for long easy pace runs), and the Pro will enter the race rotation alongside my Edge+.

I just stocked up on the Speed 3s thanks to an online sale, and ordered a pair of the Pro 4 too. The Speed are usually my daily training shoe (though I do use my Kayano for long easy pace runs), and the Pro will enter the race rotation alongside my Edge+.
Exactly my plan now too. After testing the pro and knowing it will be my race shoe, my speeds are going to be my daily trainer and one last pair of Mizuno Wave Sky will be my max cushion long easy run/recovery shoe

I tried the Novablast and it was too squishy for me - this seems like it does not bode well for the Cumulus then lol!

Across the board, stack heights just keep increasing and I’ll readily admit that I HATE it! I’m small and light: all that cushion is a waste for me because I can’t get enough out of it. And I want some ground feel! Basically I’m old and I want old-school running shoes, and it’s getting really hard to find that.

I prefer a neutral racing flat, and run in the Nike Streakfly and Saucony Sinister, which are low(ish) stack height and low drop (6 mm). Those are newer versions of the Nike Streak 6 and Saucony A8, which are some of my favorite shoes. But nothing can top the New Balance Minimus, which I ran in until they stopped making them. Zero drop and the only cushion was a piece of Vibram rubber on the sole. You want road feel? Find a pair of these.

1710595437152.jpeg

My avatar is an old Hidden Mickey asphalt spot along a neighborhood route. Over time, it wore down and last year the road was resurfaced, so now it's gone. Today, I found a successor on a different nearby street. But I call this one "Transitional Disney", because the left ear looks elongated--like Oswald, but the right ear looks like Mickey.

Oswald Mickey.jpg

Race Report - Tobacco Road Half Marathon
As Marathon Weekend 2024 came to a close, I realized that the May, 2021 sub-4:00 marathon proof of time I'd been using had come to the end of its lifespan. The problem was, that was the last race I actually raced for time as I had focused on more completion-related goals for ultras and RunDisney challenges in the ensuing years. Adding to the challenge was that I had gotten complacent in my diet and had put on an extra 40-50 pounds. As a result, post-MW has been focused on both reestablishing my pace and dropping my weight back to an acceptable level.

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon was ideally timed for me to take a first shot at a new PoT. The course is also well-suited for a time trial, being the flattest and fastest course in my area (although not really flat). My marathon and half marathon PRs are both at this race. Also bolstering my attempt was the 31 pounds that I've been able to lose since Marathon Weekend. My only goal for the race was to reestablish a Corral B PoT with a sub-2:08 finish.

Weather was pretty good for the area this time of year, with temps ranging from 56-59 degrees (T+Ds 103-106). The race started with a combined half and marathon mass start of ~4,000 runners. The initial crowding kept me from getting up to speed and into a rhythm until ~1.5 miles had passed. We started on neighborhood roads with rolling hills and at mile 2.5 we turned onto the American Tobacco Trail's (ATT) crushed gravel trail. The ATT runs down an old rail line and, while not flat, it features long stretches of mild grade. Things opened up on the ATT, as the marathon course heads north and the half course heads south, and I was able to get into a good rhythm.

Cruising down the trail, I hit the halfway turnaround at 1:03:18 on my watch. Coming back, those gentle downhill grades didn't feel so gentle as my legs started to tire a bit. I felt like I was doing well with maintaining my pace despite a couple of minor mishaps where insufficient volunteers at a couple of aid stations led to problems with getting fluids and with runners having to slow almost to a stop as the volunteers had to "reload" on cups to hand out. Between the halfway split time and watching my quarter mile splits, I knew I was going to be close on my goal as I turned off the trail back into the neighborhood roads around mile 10.5.

I spent those last miles mentally focusing on maintaining my intensity and not letting my pace drop. In the end it paid off as I crossed the finish line at 2:06:35. I'm very happy with my effort and its results today. Having the PoT in hand will also take some pressure off of my other spring races and let me relax and enjoy them a bit more. All in all, a good day at the races capped off with a nice St Patrick's themed medal! Thanks for reading!

F7B37618-ADE4-4D7A-B3F1-7C1066BF4DED.jpeg

As Marathon Weekend 2024 came to a close, I realized that the May, 2021 sub-4:00 marathon proof of time I'd been using had come to the end of its lifespan. The problem was, that was the last race I actually raced for time as I had focused on more completion-related goals for ultras and RunDisney challenges in the ensuing years. Adding to the challenge was that I had gotten complacent in my diet and had put on an extra 40-50 pounds. As a result, post-MW has been focused on both reestablishing my pace and dropping my weight back to an acceptable level.

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon was ideally timed for me to take a first shot at a new PoT. The course is also well-suited for a time trial, being the flattest and fastest course in my area (although not really flat). My marathon and half marathon PRs are both at this race. Also bolstering my attempt was the 31 pounds that I've been able to lose since Marathon Weekend. My only goal for the race was to reestablish a Corral B PoT with a sub-2:08 finish.

Weather was pretty good for the area this time of year, with temps ranging from 56-59 degrees (T+Ds 103-106). The race started with a combined half and marathon mass start of ~4,000 runners. The initial crowding kept me from getting up to speed and into a rhythm until ~1.5 miles had passed. We started on neighborhood roads with rolling hills and at mile 2.5 we turned onto the American Tobacco Trail's (ATT) crushed gravel trail. The ATT runs down an old rail line and, while not flat, it features long stretches of mild grade. Things opened up on the ATT, as the marathon course heads north and the half course heads south, and I was able to get into a good rhythm.

Cruising down the trail, I hit the halfway turnaround at 1:03:18 on my watch. Coming back, those gentle downhill grades didn't feel so gentle as my legs started to tire a bit. I felt like I was doing well with maintaining my pace despite a couple of minor mishaps where insufficient volunteers at a couple of aid stations led to problems with getting fluids and with runners having to slow almost to a stop as the volunteers had to "reload" on cups to hand out. Between the halfway split time and watching my quarter mile splits, I knew I was going to be close on my goal as I turned off the trail back into the neighborhood roads around mile 10.5.

I spent those last miles mentally focusing on maintaining my intensity and not letting my pace drop. In the end it paid off as I crossed the finish line at 2:06:35. I'm very happy with my effort and its results today. Having the PoT in hand will also take some pressure off of my other spring races and let me relax and enjoy them a bit more. All in all, a good day at the races capped off with a nice St Patrick's themed medal! Thanks for reading!

View attachment 842569
Congratulations on the new POT!

View attachment 842569
Congratulations on the new POT! I really despise the non-stop hill between Wimberly and the White Oak trailhead. I was out cheering on everyone at the turn onto Morrisville Parkway this morning. Seeing the crowds again this morning reminded me why I didn't sign up again this year. It is just too crowded the first 2 miles.

Congratulations on the new POT! I really despise the non-stop hill between Wimberly and the White Oak trailhead. I was out cheering on everyone at the turn onto Morrisville Parkway this morning. Seeing the crowds again this morning reminded me why I didn't sign up again this year. It is just too crowded the first 2 miles.
Thanks for coming out and cheering! That crowding was something at the start. Maybe they need to consider some corralling or wave releases to break things up in the initial neighborhoods. That Wimberly to White Oak stretch was a joy outbound and really let me get my rhythm going, but inbound it just wouldn't end! I swear the gentle outbound downhill was like 1/3 of the inbound uphill! Think back and let me know if you saw me go by! I was the one wearing green! :rotfl2: I mean, I literally was wearing a green & yellow InB, but...

Congratulations on the POT and the weight loss! Love that medal, although as a daughter of an Extension Agent and long-time 4-Her, it made me think “To make the Best Better,” the 4-H motto.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter