The Running Thread--2024

I would rather run in sandals than what some people do, which is run in ski boots. The current ski boot running world record is a 5:30 marathon which was set during the 2019 London marathon. Take that Lil Nas X!

View attachment 843584
OMG. I couldn’t even stand my ski boots for more than 10 minutes in the lodge! Those suckers were off while I was stopped for lunch or dinner. Cannot even conceive of being able to RUN in them!

The only "benefit" I can see from running in ski boots is that they pitch you forward, so it might slightly help your upper body form. But the shin splints, blisters and whatever else would be caused by locking your ankles in place could really screw you up for the long term!

So I would have been arriving in the outer banks today for my first ultra but those plans were set aside in the interest of saving $$$, half of which will cover Dopey in a couple weeks. What about the other half? Well I’d hate to have my calendar empty until wine and dine so now I have -
Newport Marathon 4/13
Steel Rail Marathon 5/19
Green River Marathon 8/25
Clarence DeMar Marathon 9/29
I’ve run Steel Rail but none of the others. They look good and the dates work for me, anyone run them before?

Riddle me this: why is it so easy to get up at 2am for Disney races, and when I'm home, there's no way I'm getting out of bed before my alarm? I keep saying if I wake up with enough time before my alarm, I could do a short yoga session, or get in some weight training, and it never happens :P . My cat got me up at 5:45 to feed her this morning, and I went straight back to bed.

So I would have been arriving in the outer banks today for my first ultra but those plans were set aside in the interest of saving $$$, half of which will cover Dopey in a couple weeks. What about the other half? Well I’d hate to have my calendar empty until wine and dine so now I have -
Newport Marathon 4/13
Steel Rail Marathon 5/19
Green River Marathon 8/25
Clarence DeMar Marathon 9/29
I’ve run Steel Rail but none of the others. They look good and the dates work for me, anyone run them before?
You might've inadvertently made a good decision not to run Blackbeard's Revenge this year. The current weather forecast is calling for high winds and potentially heavy rain on course this weekend. The NCDOT is concerned that the southern roads of the course may flood and/or overwash. As a result, they've modified the courses to stay in the northern portion of the route, with the 100m being run as a 50m out and back. I'm still bummed at missing it, regardless, but these conditions are taking the sting out of that regret.

1000010105.jpg

This is not what a spring run should look like....5" of snow and a layer of ice. No interval workout today, did my easy run instead. The only time I hit the slow pace I should be running! Also the only time I am marginally happy with the idiot homeowners who don't bother to shovel their sidewalks: snow> ice for running. Could have done without the "slip and slide" moment I had when I ran over a snow-covered steel plate covering a sidewalk near a home under construction. I credit yoga balance for not going down.

I guess this is payback for the unseasonably warm few days we had a couple of weeks ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter