The Search for My Wits: a Solo TR - 7/13 UD

YAY! It has begun!

I'm a wee bit concerned about the DME lines for Sept. but I'm not going to let it get me too down. Worst case scenario? We'll take a cab if we MUST...somehow. I dunno. The man still isn't convinced about letting them handle the luggage.

I LOVE flying Southwest. I can't count the number of times they've sung to us. LOL

You know that feeling you were describing walking into that room for the first time alone? Know what it was?

Do ya?

Huh?

Huh?

It's Disney Freedom, my friend. And it's fanfreakingtastic.

:flower3:

LegoMom, forgive the hijack.

Tink, have you thought of using the gentleman you and I had for transportation in May? I know DME is free, and this would be an added expense, but he really is wonderful and if you want to save time, it's worth it. Just a thought. :goodvibes

Yay! The TR has begun :cool1:

I know that feeling, thank you so much for describing it so well. It feels wonderful.

Great start!

:goodvibes

Tink, have you thought of using the gentleman you and I had for transportation in May? I know DME is free, and this would be an added expense, but he really is wonderful and if you want to save time, it's worth it. Just a thought. :goodvibes

LegoMom, forgive my hijacking the hijack.

I've thought of it and I'm not dismissing it but not moving forward with anything yet. I'm going to keep my eye on availability (still plenty at all of the values WITH the FD promo) and if it gets tight, I may be in touch for his info.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

:happytv:

Could we??!......I mean, does anyone mind if I post more chapters on my TR??!!!:mad:

j/k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao::rotfl2:

You guys crack me up. I will interject, though, that if you are arriving on a weekend and can take a Town Car, DO IT!

To my non-hijacking readers, please stay tuned for the next installment, coming soon!:flower3:

I've thought of it and I'm not dismissing it but not moving forward with anything yet. I'm going to keep my eye on availability (still plenty at all of the values WITH the FD promo) and if it gets tight, I may be in touch for his info.

Roger that. :thumbsup2

Could we??!......I mean, does anyone mind if I post more chapters on my TR??!!!:mad:

A thousand apologies o' gracious one.

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

j/k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao::rotfl2:

You guys crack me up. I will interject, though, that if you are arriving on a weekend and can take a Town Car, DO IT!

The Great LegoMom has spoken.

To my non-hijacking readers, please stay tuned for the next installment, coming soon!:flower3:

Do I get to read the next installment too? :flower3:

It didn't take me long to unpack, change, and put my touring bag together. I gathered my wits about me (hey!...I found some!!) and headed out the door with my all-Magical KTTW card. First stop: Sassagoula Floatworks. (amanda: there are NO “clowns” in the pictures to follow!...lol!) I entered the food court in search of my refillable mug. I have a love affair with Disney's refillable mugs....Ok who am I kidding, I have a love affair with ALL of Disney's mugs. More on that later. I grabbed a mug with a yellow handle, checked out, and filled it with Diet Coke. The Disney magic continued because as I arrived at the bus stop, up pulled an Epcot bus! In no time at all I was in the park and gazing at this:

WDW012.jpg

..and this....

WDW013.jpg

and THIS!

WDW016.jpg

Somewhere in there I took these photos....I don't know what these flowers are called (their little ID sign was overgrown and hidden) but I thought they were really neat.

WDW014.jpg

I was headed for my lunch ADR in Mexico, but had time to shoot over to The Land and grab a Soarin' Fastpass. Good thing, because I got one of the last sets of FP's before they ran out, and the Standby line was almost an hour! I took my time wandering over to World Showcase....there was SO much to see, so many flowers and displays....the Flower & Garden Festival is a treat for the eyes and if you haven't seen it and ever have the chance to, GO!

WDW018.jpg

WDW019.jpg

WDW020.jpg

WDW023.jpg

WDW026.jpg

WDW027.jpg

I arrived in Mexico about 20 minutes early and was seated right away. I was pleased to see that they had placed me in a area of empty tables, rather than right on top of other groups of diners. Not that I'm anti-social, but when dining solo at a sit-down restaurant, you just don't want to be surrounded by all those other people and conversations. I was served chips and THE BEST salsa, and was soon treated to THE BEST server......

His name was Sergio and he was fantastic (not to mention adorable...). I bantered in a little bit of Spanish with him, which just tickled him, you could tell. I stopped before absolutely slaughtering the language... I ordered myself a Dos Equis draft lager and, [from the Allears web site]: “[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - Corn tortilla stuffed with chicken, topped with sour cream, fresh cheese and onions, covered with green tomatilla sauce, and served with black beans.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]O. M. G.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BEST meal I've had in Disney in a long time!!! I love Mexican food, but this was over the top good! And given that I hadn't eaten since the drive into the airport at 5:30am, I ate it all. Every bite. And savored it and wondered how something so good could exist. Did I mention it was really good?![/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When my lunch was finished I decided that a stroll around World Showcase was in order. Despite being in Mexico, I headed around to Canada. I always tour WS in a counter-clockwise direction[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and I [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]just have to start in Canada. On the way I stopped by the DIY Network “Yard Crasher's” exhibit, since that was the show that inspired me to come this time of year in the first place. It was neat to see.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
WDW040.jpg
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I also got this shot (yes, I waited nearly 20 minutes for the monorail to come by!)...[/FONT]

WDW039.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Now, Canada has beautiful gardens any time of year, but now, during the F&G, it was nothing less than stunning.....[/FONT]LOVED the Bambi garden....

WDW045.jpg

WDW046.jpg

WDW043.jpg

(to be continued next post!!....)

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I watched the “O Canada!” movie and moved on the United Kingdom. I loved the Twining's Tea gardens with the giant tea cups!!

WDW056.jpg

WDW062.jpg

WDW064.jpg

I actually spent quite a bit of time in the UK, browsing the shops I never get to go into because the boys would be bored. I wasn't ready to bog myself down with bags full of souvenirs, but I made lots of mental notes in the shop that sells Beatles memorabilia. The next thing I decided I wanted to do was see the American Adventure show. Never seen it. High time I do. I snapped a bunch of photos along the way....there was seriously something neat to look at in every direction!

WDW068.jpg

WDW070.jpg

WDW071.jpg

WDW075.jpg

WDW077.jpg

I did stop briefly in Japan to watch the drummers. They are just fantastic! There are three different people, all playing a drum at the same time, yet each has to play his/her own rhythm. The end result is amazing.

As I approached the American pavilion, the next show was due to start in less than 10 minutes, so I queued up and found myself standing directly under a blast of some of the coldest air ever! It was heavenly at that moment, since we all know that walking around World Showcase in the heat can be brutal. It was also nice to sit inside and enjoy the show for another 20 minutes or so. And I did enjoy it. I thought it was well-done and very patriotic, which I'm all about. I want to make a point to take my boys there on the next trip; it's history, but in a way that captures your attention and imagination.

I continued my counter-clockwise tour of WS and took yet more pictures...

WDW078.jpg

WDW079.jpg

WDW082.jpg

...and as I approached Mexico once again, decided it was time to head back to Future World. I took that neat little pathway from the Odyssey Center over towards Test Track, and was delighted to find the Butterfly House and Fairy Garden along the way!

WDW087.jpg

WDW089.jpg

Now that I had toured WS, taken in all the sights and sounds and wonder of being in Disney, and - more importantly! - had time to digest my lunch, it was time to get some fun on. I headed straight for Test Track, anxious to use the Single-Rider Line. And that I did, only to discover that it's really not a "single rider" line, but rather they seem to let anyone use it, with the admonition that your party WILL be split up at the end. :headache:

Well la-de-freakin'-da!!.....Hello?!.....it's no benefit to REAL single riders if you let ANY one use the line!!! Ugh. Now granted, the wait in this line was considerably shorter than the stand-by line, but it was not as quick as it should have been. After my brief bout of disgust with the [non-] Disney system, I relaxed and watched the testing going on in the queue area. As I approached the pre-show area, I discovered that there was no pre-show but instead they were just herding everyone straight through that room and into the loading dock. From here it went pretty quick, and I finally found myself sitting in a front row seat!!.....woot!!!! The ride was awesome, as usual....there's nothing quite like that outside speed run to get the ol' adrenaline running!

From Test Track I made my way over to Spaceship Earth. It was getting late, but I still had quite a ways to go until my Soarin' FP time. I love SE. I hate the new narration. And that's all I have to say about that.

I did take this picture when the ride stopped briefly while I was smack in front of this stylin' gal:

WDW090.jpg

Actually, I wanted a pic of her for a certain someone....You know who you are!:rolleyes:

From SE I headed back over to The Land. I was starting to feel like I might enjoy a little smackeral of something, and the Sunshine Seasons Food Fair is a good place to find it. I headed to the bakery, and was looking at some treat or another, until I approached the case and the Butterfinger Cheesecake grabbed my eyeballs and pulled them front-and-center.......Oooooh!.....Butterfinger Cheesecake!..... There must have been some force field at work here, since I absolutely could not avert my eyes to gaze upon any other selection. So I ordered the Cheesecake, completely enraptured by my choice. And yes, it was that good.:cloud9:

My equally-heavenly ride on Soarin' wrapped up my day at Epcot, and the first day of my solo trip. I opted to skip Illuminations and instead head back to POFQ; people were already leaving the park and I didn't want to deal with the masses later. I had a full day planned tomorrow and wanted to be well-rested and ready to go early!

WDW092.jpg

UP NEXT: The Best Mother's Day EVER!!!

[/FONT]

Where to begin?

I loved the update!

Brings back some fond memories, and I'm so glad that you got to enjoy so much of Flower and Garden Festival on your very first day! And that's great about the meal in Mexico. I've had some trepidation about eating there, but I heard they may have changed their menu recently? Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm just loving all the photos, so you keep them coming, miss. This is shaping up to be a great solo trip and I can't wait to see what happens next!

I'm enjoying all the pictures. My favorite at Epcot is the one with the monorail. :thumbsup2

Ok, let me start off by saying all of your F&GF photos are GORGEOUS. I can't "quote" them all because they're ALL my favs!

I was served chips and THE BEST salsa

RIGHT?! LOVED them. :love:

“[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - Corn tortilla stuffed with chicken, topped with sour cream, fresh cheese and onions, covered with green tomatilla sauce, and served with black beans.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]O. M. G.[/FONT]

Um.

NO.

N. O. M.

;)

I did take this picture when the ride stopped briefly while I was smack in front of this stylin' gal:

WDW090.jpg

Actually, I wanted a pic of her for a certain someone....You know who you are!:rolleyes:

You caught me on my "headless" day.
But I was wearing my brand new lemon leggings.

Seriously? It tickles me pink (or pickles me tink LOL) to know that on this day you actually thought of me.

Even if it was ridiculous pleather go-go boots that brought me to mind.

Warm and fuzzies all around. :goodvibes

Where to begin?

I loved the update!

Brings back some fond memories, and I'm so glad that you got to enjoy so much of Flower and Garden Festival on your very first day! And that's great about the meal in Mexico. I've had some trepidation about eating there, but I heard they may have changed their menu recently? Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm just loving all the photos, so you keep them coming, miss. This is shaping up to be a great solo trip and I can't wait to see what happens next!

There are SO many photos....I should send you a link to my Photobucket account, where you can see them all. Being limited to 15 pics per DIS post sort of makes me have to pick and choose.

NO complaints about the food in Mexico! If you like authentic Mexican food, you must try it.

I'm enjoying all the pictures. My favorite at Epcot is the one with the monorail. :thumbsup2

On my last trip I had that same shot but without the monorail, and every time I see that picture I think, Wow, that would be the perfect picture with the monorail in it! So I waited this time. And talked to some baby ducks to pass the time...:rolleyes:

Um.

NO.

N. O. M.

;)

[Dope-slaps self].....OF COURSE!....How could I forget!!.....It was NOM-TASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

You caught me on my "headless" day.
But I was wearing my brand new lemon leggings.

Seriously? It tickles me pink (or pickles me tink LOL) to know that on this day you actually thought of me.

Yes, you are looking a little headless there, aren't you? Ah well, the leggings draw the eye anyway. And srsly, THIS day??!....you and TK were with so with me in spirit on this trip. Esp. at Casey's......:rolleyes1

Great update, Legomom--those flowers are so beautiful! It's strange how just a couple of weeks later and they are no where to be seen, lol!

I just selected and purchased two Photopass pics of myself from the trip. Did 'em up a bit with the fun borders and all. I've also decided that on our next big family trip, I'm going to pre-order the CD and just go nuts with the Photopass ops. I love taking pictures, but you know what?....I actually would like to have one trip where I'm not bogged down by the camera and always thinking "Ooh!...I need a shot of that!" So I'll let the PhotoPass guys work their magic and take all our family pictures. :crowded:

Great update, Legomom--those flowers are so beautiful! It's strange how just a couple of weeks later and they are no where to be seen, lol!

Hey amanda!! Glad you're enjoying the TR. What's more amazing is that most of the F&G displays are probably taken down in ONE night!! They have to be fully up on the last full day, and completely GONE the next! I've seen shows about the Christmas decorations going up, and it's just amazing what their crews can do overnight....

Hey y'all, I haven't abandoned this little TR!! Life is getting in the way of the real important stuff, like DISing and finishing this report!:rolleyes:

Anyway, it's a big chapter and I want to do it right and I want to do it well, so hang in there, it's coming!!

Looking forward to seeing more pics. You take a great shot. :thumbsup2

Day 2.

Mother's Day.

Best. Day. Ever.

The End.

No no!....just kidding. But I'll tell ya, I'm having a hard time figuring out the writing of this installment. The day WAS perfect and it was, indeed, the best Mother's Day ever (birth of children aside, of course....). It's hard to put something like this into words. It was experienced....lived.... Some things just don't have the right words. It was--

Magical.....

I was up early and on my coffee walk by 6:30am. POFQ is particularly wonderful at that hour. So quiet and peaceful. I filled my mug and returned to my room to get ready for the day. I had decided ahead of time that this was the day I would wear my “Do Not Disturb – Mom on Vacation” t-shirt. Seemed appropriate. I stopped by the food court for another fill-up on my way out, and was at the bus stop at 7:30, where the Disney magic once again came through and I hopped on the Animal Kingdom bus that was just pulling up.

* sigh *...:wizard:

I arrived at AK right about 8:00am. It was SO empty at the front gate! Just a few families trickling in for their breakfast ADRs. There was a CM with a big basket of flowers and he immediately approached me with a big smile and "Happy Mother's Day!" I chose a white carnation from the basket and sat and enjoyed the first of many special moments that day.

WDW098.jpg

Around 8:30 people were starting to gather around the turnstyles, so I made my way up to one of them and got right up front - first in line!

WDW101.jpg

What a beautiful view!.....lol!

As the CMs began to gather on the other side of the turnstyles, they interacted with each and the crowd and it was so fun to be there and be involved. I could fully immerse myself in this without having to entertain kids or worry that everyone was together. It was Just. ME.

Heavenly.

When the green light was given to enter the park, I scanned my ticket and my finger and proceeded to the right and again got a front row - for Rope Drop!!

WDW102.jpg

There was a brief little opening ceremony with Mickey and friends on their safari jeep. It was cute.

WDW103.jpg

At exactly 9:00am, the CMs at each end of the rope began the fast walk to the major attractions: EE to the right, Safari to the left. I was headed to the safari (and it is a looooong walk!!), determined to be on the first trip of the day. And that I did.....and I got the very last row!! Which I thought was great because there was only one couple there with me, and as the vehicle is moving past things, you can turn around and have a wide open clear shot for photographing animals!

I took this pic while waiting for the trip to begin.....I'd never noticed it before and thought it was kind of funny....

WDW105.jpg

Finally under way!

WDW106.jpg

WDW109.jpg

WDW111.jpg

WDW113.jpg

WDW114.jpg

WDW116.jpg

I took far more pictures than what's posted here. I'm limited in my posting space and I might put up an "installment" at the end that's just all the miscellaneous photos that got left out. Anyway...

The plan after my safari ride was to head to Asia and ride Expedition Everest while it was still early. I like the walkway from Africa to Asia - it's quiet and peaceful and usually not very crowded. This morning it was practically empty. I was ambling along, enjoying the atmosphere, when what should catch my eye but FLIK!!.....with NO line! I'm almost embarrassed to say how excited I got over this. I turned hard right and down to the meet-n-greet area. I got a fabulous Photopass pic here and this has quickly become one of my all-time favorite Disney photos....

WDW124.jpg

Notice how Flik and I are color-coordinated?!....I knew it was the right day to wear that shirt!!..:rotfl:

And if that weren't enough, just around the corner up on the other side of the walkway I spied Baloo and King Louie!!....took advantage of no line there, either (although I have to tell you that in both character spots here, the people who were coming and going for photos were ALL adults!....so I felt right at home!).

WDW127.jpg

Still beaming over my luck with the characters, I made my way to EE, hopped in the Single Rider Line and discovered that this was, indeed, a true Single Rider Line.:rolleyes:

And I got the last row!! Which, for roller-coaster fans, we all know is the best and fastest ride. The teenage girl that I was seated with rode the entire thing without so much as a whimper!.....meanwhile I was screaming like a banshee!! I love that ride, I really do. The drop that curves and banks at the bottom is SO freakin' fantastic. As the "Unofficial Guide" used to say, Warning: This Ride Will Muss Your 'Do! The ups-and-downs in the dark are great. The reverse spiral......well, I'll reserve judgment on that. Freaks me out. Every time. I did see the Yeti, thanks to actually keeping my eyes open. But it's still not moving.. I thought I read somewhere that it's too heavy for its hydraulics and that's why it's always broken down. Still pretty fearsome, though.

Next on my AK "to do" list was lunch at Flame Tree BBQ, but I had plenty of time to kill before they opened, so I decided to cross Discovery Island, take in a few shops, and head over to Camp Minnie Mickey.

I have always wanted to get this shot!....

WDW130.jpg

WDW131.jpg

WDW133.jpg

WDW134.jpg

WDW141.jpg

There were several characters out for meet-n-greets, but long lines and I didn't want to stand around that long. I noticed this well and then noticed that it's a cleverly-placed water fountain! How cool is that....

WDW142.jpg

On my way back to Discovery Island I stopped at an ice cream cart for a Mickey Premium ice cream bar. I sat on a bench in the shade and just enjoyed "being" in Disney. Watching people, listening to the BGM...just taking in the little details. I really could have sat there for hours and been perfectly content, but lunch time was drawing near and I had a hot date to keep.....

WDW144.jpg

I arrived back at Flame Tree with a few minutes to spare before opening, and just about that time The Village Beatniks started to play. They are tons of fun and if you're a shy person, I recommend you watch from a distance!! I sat on a bench behind the bushes where I could see, but not be seen.

WDW145.jpg

At 11:00am I was in line at Flame Tree BBQ, and by 11:05 I had my order (BBQ pork sandwich, Key Lime mousse, and lg. Diet Coke!) and was on my way down to the lower seating area. The music that I love and am oh-so-familiar with was being piped in through the tropical setting.....I found a seat in the shade and closed my eyes and just listened.....these are the moments that are going to take me back in the long months before I get back to The World.....the little moments that give you goosebumps and where you can remember EVERY thing -- the sounds, the smells, the feel of the breeze...My Happy Place.

WDW147.jpg

Up Next: Mother's Day - Part 2!

and I got the very last row!! Which I thought was great because there was only one couple there with me, and as the vehicle is moving past things, you can turn around and have a wide open clear shot for photographing animals!

I've NEVER thought of it that way. Hmm...food for thought! :scratchin

And I got the last row!! Which, for roller-coaster fans, we all know is the best and fastest ride.

While BF and I are HUGE coaster enthusiasts, I can't do the last row. Makes me physically ill! We're you're opposites - we're front row people. :thumbsup2

The music that I love and am oh-so-familiar with was being piped in through the tropical setting.....I found a seat in the shade and closed my eyes and just listened.....these are the moments that are going to take me back in the long months before I get back to The World.....the little moments that give you goosebumps and where you can remember EVERY thing -- the sounds, the smells, the feel of the breeze...My Happy Place.

I'm all goosepimply just thinking about this. :goodvibes

The beginning of your day sounds just delightful.

I feel like I'm there with you, enjoying all the sights and sounds. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter