The Sober/Curious movement?

I don’t drink because I am cheap. I waited tables in bars for years. I never paid for a drink. When I quit working in bars, I realized that I didn’t miss it enough to pay for it. If my dad hands me a glass of wine on Christmas Eve, I drink it but other than that, I don’t want to pay for it.

I don’t drink because I am cheap. I waited tables in bars for years. I never paid for a drink. When I quit working in bars, I realized that I didn’t miss it enough to pay for it. If my dad hands me a glass of wine on Christmas Eve, I drink it but other than that, I don’t want to pay for it.
This is ONE of the reasons that I stopped going out. I would go to Thursday Night Pint Night at a local pizza place and the night (2 beers & a pizza) would cost me nearly $40.

Those people are hoping you're too embarrassed or timid NOT to subsidize them, because no doubt they've gotten away with it plenty of times before. Good for you for speaking up and refusing to play their game.
We'll do separate checks today then It's Free Fajitas Friday. You get the booze. The fajitas are on me!!!!!

Last edited:

Why is everything millennials do "a movement"? They could eat a peanut butter sandwich without jelly and the press would declare the "anti jelly movement". Im so over all of the click bait articles. The media has run out of things to discuss so its just a constant churn of invented stories.

Why is everything millennials do "a movement"? They could eat a peanut butter sandwich without jelly and the press would declare the "anti jelly movement". Im so over all of the click bait articles. The media has run out of things to discuss so its just a constant churn of invented stories.
The article never even mentioned the term millennials :confused3 I don't think this falls under the whole "millennials ruin..." bandwagon at all nor click bait or invented stories.

One of the sober bars, mentioned in the article, is in my area as a pop up bar style place though I haven't been to any of their events. It's not some millennial hang out style place. It's for people of all ages who wish to get together socially without the presence of alcohol. It being labeled a movement is like the new fad but I wouldn't label it as 'everything millennials are doing___" personally.

The article never even mentioned the term millennials :confused3

sans-bar-052_custom-47bff05db0ee54d4664b7c832ac9c746fef1f77a-s800-c85.jpg

They dont look like boomers!!!

I'm looking at the NYE video and wonder if those drinks are really saving you any money?
"Hand crafted" non- alcoholic drinks that have a pretentious feel to them probably have a price tag to match.

The article never even mentioned the term millennials :confused3 I don't think this falls under the whole "millennials ruin..." bandwagon at all nor click bait or invented stories.

The article didn't call them millennials. But, it did mention them by age:

"They're part of a sober social club, made up mostly of women in their 30s who want to have fun and make friends without alcohol."​

According to Google: Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial.

The article didn't call them millennials. But, it did mention them by age:

"They're part of a sober social club, made up mostly of women in their 30s who want to have fun and make friends without alcohol."​

According to Google: Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial.
I'm well aware of what a millennial is lol I am one so I don't quite need a definition though the birth years vary some going for mid-80s as a starting point :)

There's a difference in mentioning that and saying "Why is everything millennials do "a movement"?" and calling it a clickbait. There's absolutely a ton of crap that gets shoved on millennials but this one isn't quite like that to me at least. Who knows perhaps it's regionally driven :)

I'm looking at the NYE video and wonder if those drinks are really saving you any money?
"Hand crafted" non- alcoholic drinks that have a pretentious feel to them probably have a price tag to match.

The article mentioned ginger beer. I was in a store, similar to Whole Foods, several months ago, and they were doing a sampling of organic, hand-crafted, non- alcoholic ginger beer & birch beer, (a fancy root beer.) Although, yes, they did taste better. The ginger beer was very gingery. They were much more money for basically high-end sodas.

Why do they need “special” bars to not drink? Any bar or restaurant can serve non-alcoholic drinks.

And honestly it does sound like a millennial thing. Us baby boomers know how to go to a party, bar, whatever and not drink without a whole movement or special place to do it. 😂

I don't think that's really the goal for anyone attending these events. I don't think people are looking to save money but rather be in the company of those without the presence of alcohol.

Literally the article states: "So he created Sans Bar (which is from the video I posted just in my area), a sober bar in Austin. It's open on Friday nights and some Saturdays — a comfortable place where people can talk, make sober friends, listen to music and, of course, drink some good nonalcoholic drinks.

Generally speaking people understand mocktails aren't about saving you money period but then again neither is drinking period out and about. I can get a 6-pack of beer for sometimes what a bar charges. I get it I understand it.

I'm well aware of what a millennial is lol I am one so I don't quite need a definition though the birth years vary some going for mid-80s as a starting point :)

Sorry. :flower3: I certainly need to look up when all the ages start & end. We are up to Generation Z now. What happens after that? Do they start at the beginning of the alphabet again? :confused3

Us baby boomers know how to go to a party, bar, whatever and not drink without a whole movement or special place to do it. 😂

Some baby boomers "didn't inhale" the pot either, during the 60s & 70s. ;) :lmao:

Sorry. :flower3: I certainly need to look up when all the ages start & end. We are up to Generation Z now. What happens after that? Do they start at the beginning of the alphabet again? :confused3
You know I've got no idea lol. In terms of alphabet we've only had the last 3 with letters rather than phrases: Gen X, Gen Y (Millennials), Gen Z but why they started at the end of the alphabet I don't know :laughing:

Oh, I can relate. I tried this one once: I was at an after-work happy hour but I was drinking coke. I was of course asked, "what'cha drinking?" "Coke." "Oh, why just a coke?" etc., etc. So when "I just don't care for it" wouldn't suffice as an answer, I turned to one of them and turned on a total stone face and said "Let me tell you a story about how alcohol ruined my marriage, burned my house down, and killed my dog." The guy's eyeds get wide. "Woah...really?" "...Nah. But what if it had?" Yeah, they probably wouldn't have felt too good about asking the question.
On the rare occasion someone has pressed me about why I rarely drink, my answer is "my dad was a drunk and I won't ruin my life with alcohol like he did". The implication they are doing the same comes through loud and clear. :rolleyes1

I don't think that's really the goal for anyone attending these events. I don't think people are looking to save money but rather be in the company of those without the presence of alcohol.

Literally the article states: "So he created Sans Bar (which is from the video I posted just in my area), a sober bar in Austin. It's open on Friday nights and some Saturdays — a comfortable place where people can talk, make sober friends, listen to music and, of course, drink some good nonalcoholic drinks.

Generally speaking people understand mocktails aren't about saving you money period but then again neither is drinking period out and about. I can get a 6-pack of beer for sometimes what a bar charges. I get it I understand it.

But there are people, at least here in this thread, that do not go out and buy drinks because of the cost.
One can assume that people won't be so quick to go out and spend $12 on some juice and a fancy garnish either.
Personally I think it's a failing business model, at some point those 30 somethings will be 40 something and realize that they can "just say no" and still socialize even if alcohol is present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter