The WDW Comeback: Before/After Game

It doesn't seem worth it to open a new spectacle restaurant during a time when you have to keep tables distanced, etc. It seems like it wouldn't generate net revenue. Plus, everyone would want to get inside to see --- even if they don't have reservations --- which would be a nightmare to deal with during social distancing.

I say Disney holds it back until it can open with a full menu at full capacity.

So to me, the question really comes down to whether Disney has ended capacity restrictions and social distancing by December 1 or not. I think Disney will do so as soon as the federal government (Dr. Fauci, basically) gives the green light, but not before that. Not that there will be a single date where we suddenly hit herd immunity and the government declares the pandemic 100% over. But I think there will be a date when the government says that it is sufficiently safe to open restaurants, bars, and theme parks at full capacity without mandated social distancing. Disney will likely have gradually increased capacity and reduced mitigation measures in the interim. But I doubt that restaurants and lounges will be running at full capacity until then. And I doubt that Disney opens Space 220 until then.

I'm going to be optimistic and say that that date comes before December. So I vote BEFORE as well. (But maybe that's mostly because I just can't stomach the very real possibility that we still have more than a year of this ahead of us.)
The only thing that hurts your thought is that it isn’t a Disney restaurant. It’s owned by Patina group, so if they need to open it, they will.

Hey guys, full recap and count for Remy’s coming later today. For now, new topic incoming:

Topic 9: Space 220 Restaurant
Will it open Before or After 12/1/2021?

I'd say before. It's all ready been postponed so much. And the last updates looked like it was about ready.

The only thing that hurts your thought is that it isn’t a Disney restaurant. It’s owned by Patina group, so if they need to open it, they will.

D'Oh! Does Disney have no control over the opening of a private restaurant located within the parks -- even during a pandemic when Disney is trying to manage crowds and congregation?

D'Oh! Does Disney have no control over the opening of a private restaurant located within the parks -- even during a pandemic when Disney is trying to manage crowds and congregation?
Oh I‘m sure Disney has say so in its opening, but they’re not going to hold back a third party restaurant opening in their least congested and highest capacity park.
The other thing with Space 220 is you would have to have a reservation to even get in as I’m pretty sure there’s going to be an elevator “ride” into the dining room and you won’t be able to just go in and wander around. It’ll be controlled the same way BOG is.

I'm saying before because I am optimistic that current conditions will be relaxed significantly by then, and parks will be operating close to regular capacity.

Vaccines are moving along, I am getting my first shot later this week (high risk due to age), my daughter the nurse already has both shots, my son in law getting his second shot next week (first responder). So, I think it will be before, say just before the summer rush around 6/15.

Cool thread! Sorry to have missed the fun so far.

I say before for Space 220. Mostly because we're planning a visit in March / 2022 and my kids really want to check out this restaurant. It has to be open by then!

Like I stated previously with other members, dig up the old topics and vote on them. None of them expired except for the first one.

Like I stated previously with other members, dig up the old topics and vote on them. None of them expired except for the first one.

Sound like a good idea. Copy and pasting from @TheMaxRebo and filling in my answers!

Topic 2: When will Disney start selling new Annual Passes again?
Will it return Before or After 3/31/2021?

After. I think they'll wait until capacity has increased to closer to pre-COVID levels.

Topic 3: There are rumors that Fantasmic! with social distancing will be returning early next year.

Will it return Before or After 4/5/2021?
Note: Sunday, 4/4 is Easter

After. It seems like there will be a lot of work needed to get it back running, from hiring back CM's to testing, etc. I don't think it will be back before Festival of the Lion King

Topic 4: The Mando Presence
With the massive success of Mandalorian, when will Hollywood Studios add a Meet and Greet or a new experience specifically with Mando and "Baby Yoda".

Will this happen Before or After 3/1/2022. If you think it will never happen, go ahead and vote Never. I’ll include those answers as well.

Before. I even wonder if we'll see it by 3/1/2021.

Topic 5: The Missing Signature Dining Restaurants
Will any of these restaurants open permanently Before or After: 5/1/21?

• Flying Fish
  • Jiko
  • Monsieur Paul
  • Takumi-Tei
  • Victoria & Albert’s
  • Yachtsman Steakhouse
Bonus: I'd be interested to hear which ones you expect to open first and last if you want to include them, even if you chose After.

BEFORE. I think Victoria and Albert's will be first, as it seems like the easier spot to social distance. It's also a big money maker. Perhaps by Spring Break?

Topic 6: The Return of FP+
Will FastPass+ return Before or After: 10/1/21?

Note: This can include a deviation to the current plan but will allow guests to line jump a traditional standby queue. Virtual queues do not count.

BEFORE.
Or at least I hope so. My guess is by July 4 / 21.

Topic 7: When will Rise of the Resistance include a traditional Standby queue (see notes)?
Will it be included Before or After: 7/1/2022

BEFORE. Honestly, I'm surprised they don't have a standby queue yet. It's been over a year and the current system absolutely sucks. The fact that people can sign up for a boarding group in their pjs from home means that boarding groups are gone in seconds. If there was a traditional standby queue and fastpasses, it would level the playing field. At least you'd have a chance of riding if you're willing to wait hours and hours. No way would you see vloggers riding it every week, or people riding it multiple times per vacation if they had to wait that long. If they don't have a standby queue by the time we're there in Mar /2022, I'll be ticked.

Topic 8: When will Remy's Ratatouille Adventure finally be open for ALL guests?
Will it be Before or After: Monday, 3/8/21?

AFTER. Even though the bathroom corridor has opened up, it doesn't seem like they're calling in any cast members yet to train. I don't think they need to retrofit with plexiglass - the cars are small enough to limit to one party per ride vehicle. Still, I think it will be closer to the summer before opening.

Might need to consider adding a question here soon on whether the PeopleMover will open before or after a certain date.

I've considered it several times. I haven't done it yet, because they keep putting targeted dates on the return.

So it kind of leads into a "do you actually think the attraction will be fixed" by this date or (a future date). It's just too negative haha. But we'll see.

I've considered it several times. I haven't done it yet, because they keep putting targeted dates on the return.

So it kind of leads into a "do you actually think the attraction will be fixed" by this date or (a future date). It's just too negative haha. But we'll see.

Point taken. They do keep putting a date on it. I remember going to WDW mid-fall 2020 in a month that I believe also had 2 separate PM opening dates assigned to it at different points. I can't count on one hand the number of dates it's had so far - and it might be up to both hands. Now if they had said opening this Spring, I could see it. But they don't. Still - adding 4 weeks at this late stage doesn't inspire much hope.

Could do reopening of HoP.

Point taken. They do keep putting a date on it. I remember going to WDW mid-fall 2020 in a month that I believe also had 2 separate PM opening dates assigned to it at different points. I can't count on one hand the number of dates it's had so far - and it might be up to both hands. Now if they had said opening this Spring, I could see it. But they don't. Still - adding 4 weeks at this late stage doesn't inspire much hope.

might just be semantics, but I don't think they (Disney) have ever proviced an opening date. Just a closure period that is indicated and then that gets extended, etc. - they never say it will be ready once that period is up. Sort of like those building permits, doesn't mean that location is open on the expiration of a building permit

might just be semantics, but I don't think they (Disney) have ever proviced an opening date. Just a closure period that is indicated and then that gets extended, etc. - they never say it will be ready once that period is up. Sort of like those building permits, doesn't mean that location is open on the expiration of a building permit

While true, I'd be hard pressed to find any WDW attraction refurb announcement that does specify a date when the attraction opens. Usually it's like BTMR is being refurbed until starting Month Day and ending Month Day. There's nothing that says it'll open after the ending date, but that's assumed.

Recap:

Topic 9: Space 220 Restaurant
Will it open Before or After 12/1/2021?

Before: 13
After: 0
Misc: 1

Well you guys sure spoke up here.

I originally contemplated posting a 2022 Before/After date for two simple reasons:
  • Will Space 220 open while several other non Signature and Signature restaurants in Epcot and Boardwalk area remain closed?
  • Will they open a brand new restaurant where they have to open at a partial capacity?
Even though we heard they were close to being finished, investing in this restaurant (remaining tech, construction, cooks and staff) doesn't seem like a great ROI choice for now. It would be much cheaper to open up the other restaurants in and around Epcot.

My gut says this project getting the Tron treatment (progress picks up later this year). I'll feel differently when we get an actual date for something like Harmonious or even Epcot Forever, which I believe is closer. Speaking of nightime entertainment in Epcot...

BeforeAfterMisc.
TheMaxRebomiddlechild
Chris Ehlers
sullivan.kscott
skeeter31
rpb718
Grasshopper2016
mamaofsix
Amy11401
OSUZorba
MiraclesTakeTime
egjensen8532
YesterDark
AvidDisReader

Topic 10: The Return of Nighttime Spectaculars at Epcot
Will we see Epcot Forever or Harmonious Before/After 7/3/2021?

Note: Any modified show would count. Fireworks is the metric.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter