There is no "s" in Ohana

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is all.

I'm not sure if it is a Midwest thing or a Michigan thing, but we frequently add on a S when it isn't need. Meijer isn't Meijer to most, it is Meijers.

I think it is because we are referencing the store they own, and not the person. They own the store, hence the possessive S.

I'm not sure if it is a Midwest thing or a Michigan thing, but we frequently add on a S when it isn't need. Meijer isn't Meijer to most, it is Meijers.

I think it is because we are referencing the store they own, and not the person. They own the store, hence the possessive S.
My cousin blames the most egregious grammatical errors on being from the Midwest and I always argue that surely some people there know how to speak English!

“I’m going to the store. Want to come with?” WRONG

“The laundry needs washed.” THE WORST!

:rotfl:

Slang my not always be grammatically correct, but then again, it is slang. Saying Come With is no different really from saying The Worst. Neither are a full proper sentence.

There is no “s” in Kroger either but if you are from Ohio there is - it is Kroger’s. We do that all the time. I actually thought Meijers was the name of that store way back when. It was years before I realized there is no “s”. So yep it is O’hana’s to us lol (although to be honest only when I speak it out loud - not when I write it)

OMG I am from Ohio and have friends who have worked at the Kroger headquarters in downtown Cincinnati. No one calls is "Krogers" unless they're saying it incorrectly and also someone who tends to call Walmart "Walmarts" I also don't know anyone who calls Meijer "Meijers" LOL

It is seriously nails on a chalkboard when I hear someone say "Krogers"

I guess there must be something wrong with me since I really don't care if someone spells a restaurant Ohana or Ohana's, Boma or Boma's, Jiko or Jiko's, or using red or read, too, two or to, there, they're or their, or any type of grammatical error when it comes to Disney (I'm guilty often of committing these heinous cyber crimes myself) . I'm more worried about getting my ADR's, FP+, and not getting sick before my trip. :duck::goodvibes:rotfl:

There is no “s” in Kroger either but if you are from Ohio there is - it is Kroger’s. We do that all the time. I actually thought Meijers was the name of that store way back when. It was years before I realized there is no “s”. So yep it is O’hana’s to us lol (although to be honest only when I speak it out loud - not when I write it)

So you are proud of both spelling it wrong and making it possessive? I'll admit it is very creative to use 2 incorrect apostrophes in one word. Ohio proud!!!

Who is they?

“The laundry needs washed.” THE WORST!

THANK YOU!!!! It needs TO BE WASHED or it needs WASHING!!! (I used to work in a hotel reservations office, and my manager - who I did not want to argue with because I needed the job - would sometimes hand me a pile of convention reservations and say "These need entered." I'd take the pile and walk back to my desk muttering "Need to be entered...")

I've said it once before, until Disboards caused me to do a search for a more technical name for the situation I didn't know Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome was a thing... or rather a "thang" as we say 'round these here parts. You learn sumthin' new ever' single day. :D

When to use "me" as opposed to "I." Me and my husband went to 'Ohana. Break it up! You would never say "Me went to 'Ohana." My mother went to the store with my sister and I. You would never say "My mother went to the store with I." Did they stop teaching this in elementary school?

This drives me crazy. It happens regularly on television shows, news broadcasts, radio interviews, etc., even when the person being interviewed is an author and presumably good with language and grammar. YIKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter