• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There is no "s" in Ohana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it once before, until Disboards caused me to do a search for a more technical name for the situation I didn't know Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome was a thing... or rather a "thang" as we say 'round these here parts. You learn sumthin' new ever' single day. :D

Sure that's a thing. So is the emerging trend of pride in ignorance. Ignore science, ignore grammar, ignore truth. It's great until we wake up and find out the country has fallen way behind.

Lol. If you are going to complain about it, it is good to get it right yourself.

Adding an 's' seems to be pretty common around my area.

Just had a late lunch/early dinner with my mom today: I need to go to "Aldi's and Penny's" was said :) It's not for lack of knowing that it is truly Aldi and it is truly JC Penny though; it's just commonplace to hear.

IMO, the possessive "s" gets added on because many stores or restaurants either were named after an actual person or the name sounds like it was. So, we have a family pharmacy in my neck of the woods that is called by the surname of the owner, so the possessive "s" gets added on for good reason. For example; Smith pharmacy. We don't say "I'm going to Smith pharmacy," we say, "I'm going to Smith's." That's why J.C. Penny became Penny's, Meijer into Meijer's etc...

This drives me crazy. It happens regularly on television shows, news broadcasts, radio interviews, etc., even when the person being interviewed is an author and presumably good with language and grammar. YIKES!

It drives me nuts as well. I have a pet peeve when it comes to pronouns.

I was in quality services for years and had to coach when a filler word was used. "Actually" Oh my word! How many times can one person use "actually" in a sentence? Reporters on the news are the worst offenders!

I seldom say anything about spelling here because I cannot type to save my life. I transpose letters and spellcheck causes a lot of laughs at my expense, but at work I routinely proofread letters and QA the financial statements before they go out, and cringe silently when I overhear calls that are made.

Seriously, "dinning" irks me too. I'm truly amazed at how often I see that word pop up on these boards (and it is quite often). I just don't understand....I guess people really not know how to spelling "dining" properly? Or do they think its an actual word? (referring to dining).

Another one that slightly irks me is "appys" (appetizers). I dont know why. But it makes me cringe.

Seriously, "dinning" irks me too. I'm truly amazed at how often I see that word pop up on these boards (and it is quite often). I just don't understand....I guess people really not know how to spelling "dining" properly? Or do they think its an actual word? (referring to dining).

Another one that slightly irks me is "appys" (appetizers). I dont know why. But it makes me cringe.

"Ressies" used here is just as bad.

Ok, I was going to refrain from mentioning grammatical errors and such. But I'm in now. LOL

It irks me a bit to see a grown person use the word "Yummy." I had an ADR at Boma and let me tell you it was so "yummy." It's like a grown adult saying I love my ma ma and da da. Use this in a sentence as a grown up. "I went to Boma with my ma ma and da da and the food was just so yummy, except it did funny things to my tummy and made me want to go doo doo." :rotfl2::hyper:

I'm sure I have some grammatical errors in this post. LOL

Where are my Chicago people at????? Who needs to run into to The Jewels to grocery shop? :rotfl:
(For everyone else, Jewel is a local grocery chain. Not only do people add an S but also “the”)

Dinning is nails on a chalkboard for me (and even my autocorrect didn’t want me to type it so I really don’t get how it lives on in a mobile age.)

And "should/could/would/must have" (or 've if you must abbreviate - though my English teacher senior year would not allow that until you had proven you knew it was have) NOT "should/could/would/must of".

Also, you wonder about something, but you wander through or around a place.

I've gotten stabby lately with people saying 'could of' (et al) instead of 'could have'. The grammar on our neighborhood site is especially painful. Of course, the worst offenders post constantly. Though they seem to love the word 'of', they leave it off: "Anyone have a (couple eggs) I can (barrow)?? I could of went to the store but forgot". And seen is making a comeback. "I seen a couple lose dogs running round". It's easy to make typos on your phone but it's a distinct pattern here.

"Try and" instead of "try to" has become so prevalent that it's seen in newspapers and books. You try to go to the store, not try and go. If you're going to both try and actually go, the trying is superfluous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter