• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things No longer seen on DCL or Castaway Cay

One of the other things we miss is some of the older original shows. Like Hercules the Musical and Voyage of the Ghostship.
Also, specific DCL merchandise. I have 2 of the original DCL polo shorts and wind breaker. The windbreaker actually spells Disney Cruise Line with the flags.

As in first in the terminal gets to get on the ship first?
Kind of. First in line, First out of the terminal and on the ship. Not sure when you started cruising but this was pre Dream when there was a general line to board. You could walk in at say 11 and even though there was 150 people in the terminal, if no one was in line you could walk up to the doors and start the line to board.

Kind of. First in line, First out of the terminal and on the ship. Not sure when you started cruising but this was pre Dream when there was a general line to board. You could walk in at say 11 and even though there was 150 people in the terminal, if no one was in line you could walk up to the doors and start the line to board.
Hmm... We started cruising DCL in 2008. I don't recall the actual boarding process for that cruise. I only remember getting boarding numbers. When did that start?

I know in August of 2008, was fcfs. August of 09 might have been.. Just asked my wife. Shes not sure on 09 but in Oct of 10 the boarding numbers were in place but we bypassed the number because we were getting married on the ship.

The line up of people in the cruise terminal before boarding:
Went on the Magic the very first year of service back in '98. Everyone was checking in but no one was getting in-line, this was back before the boarding numbers. I told DW that at a certain time if no one was going to start the line I would. At that time I went to the head of the line, DW had the video running, and you should see the line form, people running from all over the terminal to get in-line. DW and I were the first people introduced on that cruise.
Anytime we want a good laugh, we bring up that video.
I vote for bringing back the FIFO service.

This is one part that DCL fails at and RCCL and Celebrity excel at. The boarding numbers are ridiculous. Being a 1 or 2 the last few times on we had to fight through people with 10s and up standing in front of the area we needed to pass through. Wouldn't have been bad except these people were always rude and upset we were asking them to move out of the way in an area they weren't supposed to be in yet. The only perk of concierge that was truly worth it was not dealing with that mess.

This is one part that DCL fails at and RCCL and Celebrity excel at. The boarding numbers are ridiculous. Being a 1 or 2 the last few times on we had to fight through people with 10s and up standing in front of the area we needed to pass through. Wouldn't have been bad except these people were always rude and upset we were asking them to move out of the way in an area they weren't supposed to be in yet. The only perk of concierge that was truly worth it was not dealing with that mess.
Disney dropped the ball big time when they redid the terminal for the Dream. They increased everything else...... except for the checkin area. And the drop off pick up area. It should be drop off first, drive past the terminal to the other side of the entrance to pick up. Its nuts there trying to get to your shuttle bus without getting hit by a vehicle or trip over someone else's luggage

Hmm... We started cruising DCL in 2008. I don't recall the actual boarding process for that cruise. I only remember getting boarding numbers. When did that start?
This was back at the start with the classic Magic in 1998, in the first year of service. We cruised again in 2001 and DCL had not started the boarding numbers as of that time. The next time in 2003, DCL had the boarding numbers.

I remember reading on these boards about the "huge shrimp" they had at the Topsiders lunch buffet on the Magic on embarkation day. Headed up there on our cruise, WHAT a disappointment. They were your standard 26/30 per pound shrimp which certainly are labeled as Extra Large in the stores, but I had visions of the really huge shrimp like the butcher shop has around holidays. The ones that weigh 12 to 16 ounces EACH. Oh well, a guy can dream
Before the pandemic, were they still serving the shrimp at the embarkation buffet?

The first cruise directors Christian and Brent Davis
Both had a cult following 💕😂
View attachment 536814
Brent was the cruise director for a majority of our early cruises, and you really get get used to hearing that voice. Christian and Clayton were two that we didn't like. We found them to be unfriendly the few times we dealt with them. Saying that, we generally never try to interact with the cruise directors so our random interactions with Christian and Clayton could have caught them at a bad time. Generally we lay low and let the staff do their jobs, but will chat with them if they have down time.

For those that want to get to know their servers better, find a day they are working lunch in the main dining room. It is rarely busy and your servers will have some freedom to chat with you because they don't have a million tables and other stuff to deal with.

I remember reading on these boards about the "huge shrimp" they had at the Topsiders lunch buffet on the Magic on embarkation day. Headed up there on our cruise, WHAT a disappointment. They were your standard 26/30 per pound shrimp which certainly are labeled as Extra Large in the stores, but I had visions of the really huge shrimp like the butcher shop has around holidays. The ones that weigh 12 to 16 ounces EACH. Oh well, a guy can dream
Before the pandemic, were they still serving the shrimp at the embarkation buffet?

I just like when they seemed to have shrimp out every day. It probably saved me a few pounds since I loaded up on shrimp. Not sure when they stopped doing the shrimp every day though, but it did seem like that ended at some point.

Brent was the cruise director for a majority of our early cruises, and you really get get used to hearing that voice. Christian and Clayton were two that we didn't like. We found them to be unfriendly the few times we dealt with them. Saying that, we generally never try to interact with the cruise directors so our random interactions with Christian and Clayton could have caught them at a bad time. Generally we lay low and let the staff do their jobs, but will chat with them if they have down time.

For those that want to get to know their servers better, find a day they are working lunch in the main dining room. It is rarely busy and your servers will have some freedom to chat with you because they don't have a million tables and other stuff to deal with.
I had a friend who worked on DCL and he said the staff loved Christiaan, that he was a cruise director that would organize things for the staff when he didn't have to. He mentioned that Christiaan would put together popup events for them and would always stay and mingle which, apparently, wasn't something most cruise directors did.
We're much like you, don't interact with the CD's to much and pay little attention to them but for us Christiaan was the standout. Brent was good to though. Clayton, I'm pretty sure he was on one or two of our cruises but not memorable I guess because I can't place him.

Excellent point about servers at lunch!

L
I just like when they seemed to have shrimp out every day. It probably saved me a few pounds since I loaded up on shrimp. Not sure when they stopped doing the shrimp every day though, but it did seem like that ended at some point.
The shrimp is out every day at Canana’s for lunch. At least it was on the Dream in February of this year which seems oh so long ago....
I do recall on recent past cruises on the different ships it was out every day at lunch as well. My DH is a huge fan of shrimp and they sure were on his plate every lunch.
In the early years of DCL the shrimp at the embarkation lunch was already peeled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter