• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things No longer seen on DCL or Castaway Cay

True, but you know, the one area where they do seem to be adding/improving rather than subtracting is the entertainment.

We were one of the first cruises where they replaced Wishes with Frozen and the guest response by repeat cruisers was overwhelmingly positive—the Frozen show (singing, effects, sets) was phenomenal. We were blown away by the relatively new Beauty and the Beast show on the dream. We’ve never been on the magic, but recently saw the official video of Tangled that DCL released during covid times and it was incredible—can’t wait to see it live one day.

Also the addition of the relatively new character dinner shows on the Wonder and Magic is something we are really looking forward to experiencing when things get back to post-covid normal.

I have to agree with @tarheelz. We did our first 12 cruises on DCL because we got a good deal and felt the product was worth the value we paid. We are different than many on this board though in that we aren't big Disney fans. Only went to Disney world once, and liked it, but don't see a reason to ever go back. The characters while cute, they and the Disney themed entertainment aren't a draw for us, it is the other amenities that would bring us back. We never waited in line to get a picture with a character in our 12 cruises. For our situation we see it as we are paying a premium to receive less than we did in the past. For us the service we had on Celebrity felt a lot like Disney, and now that we are former empty nesters, college kid is back home due to Covid, we don't need to worry about kids programing. All that said I definitely want to sail on the new ships, when then come out. Would be cool to say I have sailed on all the ships a cruise line has owned:).

One thing I really miss is being able to bring alcohol onboard. We usually only brought minis to make rum and cokes, never brought a full bottle. Also we spent more money on booze and tastings on the cruises we brought alcohol with than when we couldn't.

One other thing the level of service decreased as they increased from 2-4 ships and we also noticed a huge difference classics to the dream class.

When we were on the post dry dock magic in 2013, I believe it was Kemisha was super friendly and stuck around and chatted with everyone after the activities. Fast forward 3 months later on the Fantasy, as soon as she was done with the activity, she didn't have time to interact and was discussing where they had to run off next to and not be late with her helper, ignoring the guests. She was super sweet and friendly, and it was a bummer she didn't get to be that person on the fantasy. Then there was Fitz. That guy is awesome and he was the same old Fitz on the Magic. He also transferred over to the Fantasy and while he was still the same guy when you chatted with him, he just looked run down and overworked on the Fantasy, the energy level wasn't there. They lost a great one when he left. We have also heard from servers that they have more tables to deal with on the dream class and the layout is worse so they don't get as much time to interact with the guests. Things like this make a difference for us.

Last edited:
The DCL pens that used to be all over the place. Our first cruise in 2008 we came home with 4 or 5 of them. Next cruise they didn't have them anymore it was just generic pens.

I am still using some DCL Bic pens for work. Apparently we like to grab a free pen, as we have lots of hotel ones too lol

One thing I really miss is being able to bring alcohol onboard. We usually only brought minis to make rum and cokes, never brought a full bottle. Also we spent more money on booze and tastings on the cruises we brought alcohol with than when we couldn't.

This "perk" set Disney apart and above the other cruise lines. We would bring on a few bottles of wine but we still spent a $$$ in the lounges, buying drinks and socializing. I wish they would revise the current restriction and bring back this perk.

Kind of enjoying the irony here of everyone talking about all the pens they swiped from DCL while wondering why DCL doesn’t have them any more. Definitely a “this is why we can’t have nice things” moment!
No irony at all. They were given out free. You received one in your cabin, they were in containers to take at customer service, the stateroom hosts put them in your room when they saw the one from there was gone.
They weren't swiped, they were given. BIG difference.

Kind of enjoying the irony here of everyone talking about all the pens they swiped from DCL while wondering why DCL doesn’t have them any more. Definitely a “this is why we can’t have nice things” moment!

The promotional items Disney puts in the staterooms are meant to be taken and shared. It is a form of advertising. I do the same in my business. I "give away" items with the name of my business imprinted on the item.

No irony at all. They were given out free. You received one in your cabin, they were in containers to take at customer service, the stateroom hosts put them in your room when they saw the one from there was gone.
They weren't swiped, they were given. BIG difference.
The promotional items Disney puts in the staterooms are meant to be taken and shared. It is a form of advertising. I do the same in my business. I "give away" items with the name of my business imprinted on the item.
No, they're really not. I guess this is why they stopped having the DCL branded pillows too, and why hotel robes are no longer being offered most places. As someone who worked in the hospitality industry--no; pens are meant to be used and then left for the next guest. 90%+ of people don't take them. When people did, I had to pay for replacements out of pocket.

Single use shampoos/toiletries are meant for guests to keep because for sanitary reasons, they can't be reused between guests. Castaway Club gifts are conspicuously marked as gifts with a letter explaining that. Other things in the room are meant to stay in the room.

No, they're really not. I guess this is why they stopped having the DCL branded pillows too, and why hotel robes are no longer being offered most places. As someone who worked in the hospitality industry--no; pens are meant to be used and then left for the next guest. 90%+ of people don't take them. When people did, I had to pay for replacements out of pocket.

Single use shampoos/toiletries are meant for guests to keep because for sanitary reasons, they can't be reused between guests. Castaway Club gifts are conspicuously marked as gifts with a letter explaining that. Other things in the room are meant to stay in the room.
That's a silly comparison. If the room was missing a pillow or a robe you would be billed. There have been several threads where people were charged for pillows missing from rooms where they were billed but they say they didn't take them. If the room is missing a pen you are not billed. I have never seen someone complain about having a charge for that.
Not sure where you worked that you had to pay OOP for replacement pens but I would sure leave there very quickly. I had a conversation with several friends a few years ago where I commented I needed to stop at Staples to pick up some pens on my way home. Two of my friends told me not to bother, they worked in hotels, both different brand hotels. They told me they would bring me all I needed because they had to switch out the stationary after each guest due to sanitary rules. These were both upscale hotels though. Not sure if all hotels do this.
Point is, yes, you can take a pen from a room without worry that its a no no. Especially, as I pointed out above, when they were left out to take. They were all over the ships.
Don't take them if you don't want but don't villainize those who do. They are free to take as are the postcards left in the drawer with the pens....or should we maybe leave a few dollars to cover the cost?

That's a silly comparison. If the room was missing a pillow or a robe you would be billed. There have been several threads where people were charged for pillows missing from rooms where they were billed but they say they didn't take them. If the room is missing a pen you are not billed. I have never seen someone complain about having a charge for that.
Not sure where you worked that you had to pay OOP for replacement pens but I would sure leave there very quickly. I had a conversation with several friends a few years ago where I commented I needed to stop at Staples to pick up some pens on my way home. Two of my friends told me not to bother, they worked in hotels, both different brand hotels. They told me they would bring me all I needed because they had to switch out the stationary after each guest due to sanitary rules. These were both upscale hotels though. Not sure if all hotels do this.
Point is, yes, you can take a pen from a room without worry that its a no no. Especially, as I pointed out above, when they were left out to take. They were all over the ships.
Don't take them if you don't want but don't villainize those who do. They are free to take as are the postcards left in the drawer with the pens....or should we maybe leave a few dollars to cover the cost?
And don’t act surprised/sad Disney doesn’t keep offering pens if you took a whole bunch of them. It’s no great mystery why they don’t want to bankroll guests’ pen collections.

And don’t act surprised/sad Disney doesn’t keep offering pens if you took a whole bunch of them. It’s no great mystery why they don’t want to bankroll guests’ pen collections.
Oddly enough, I don't think I said I took a whole bunch of them. I said they were available every where.
The point people are making is that they have switched from the cute ones that are pictured above to the generic plastic ones that are on offer at the Disney Resorts. It is a cost cutting measure. Not because they were losing to many, rather because they are trying to up the bottom line. It's what a business does. It's the reason all the changes mentioned have been made. They will never stop having pens, it is advertising. They will just purchase the cheapest ones they can and if they can get a deal by buying from the same company that does the resort pens then that is the way they will go.
And they will continue to gladly give them out to everyone. If you need one just stop at customer service or ask the room host. You will never be billed.

I think when any place like hotels or floating hotels, cruise lines put out pens, they expect them to be souvenirs for people that stay. To say this is why we can't have nice things moment is really pushing it over a pen! The price of a bic pen bought in bulk is small change. I am talking about your standard Bic pen we can usually get for less than a buck for 10 of them around school time. If they had nicer ones I didn't see them.

If you are talking the clocks and the red pillows people were taking I agree with you, crazy that people would walk off with the propeller clock or a pillow.

Seeing your other comments, if pens aren't meant to be taken, then the hotels should just put out a note that we can expect to be charged if they are missing, similar to a mini bar, easy enough to handle that way.

I asked my stateroom host on our first cruise about the pen and postcards in the desk drawer, she said they were good souvenirs and feel free to take them (She also was great at providing extra individual shampoo/lotion bottles too. She'd leave an extra set each day for us to put in our luggage.)

She did mention though, that if you took the pen/postcards they wouldn't replace them until the next cruise for the next set of guests. I usually leave the pen there as long as the pen I have still works.

I agree with the Castaway club luggage tag statements. Man alive are those things big.

Oddly enough, I don't think I said I took a whole bunch of them. I said they were available every where.
The point people are making is that they have switched from the cute ones that are pictured above to the generic plastic ones that are on offer at the Disney Resorts. It is a cost cutting measure. Not because they were losing to many, rather because they are trying to up the bottom line. It's what a business does. It's the reason all the changes mentioned have been made. They will never stop having pens, it is advertising. They will just purchase the cheapest ones they can and if they can get a deal by buying from the same company that does the resort pens then that is the way they will go.
And they will continue to gladly give them out to everyone. If you need one just stop at customer service or ask the room host. You will never be billed.
Those cheap pens have been rockstars for me and have been my favorite style and brand for years, assuming they stuck with Bic. Now that they offer the atlantis style, I have graduated to that in my 40's. Will did somehow end up with a RCCL pen in this style I think we were given when we were booking another cruise.

I agree with others, pens are a great way to advertise very cheaply. Especially when we take them to work and talk about our cruises etc.

The line up of people in the cruise terminal before boarding:
Went on the Magic the very first year of service back in '98. Everyone was checking in but no one was getting in-line, this was back before the boarding numbers. I told DW that at a certain time if no one was going to start the line I would. At that time I went to the head of the line, DW had the video running, and you should see the line form, people running from all over the terminal to get in-line. DW and I were the first people introduced on that cruise.
Anytime we want a good laugh, we bring up that video.
I vote for bringing back the FIFO service.

The line up of people in the cruise terminal before boarding:
Went on the Magic the very first year of service back in '98. Everyone was checking in but no one was getting in-line, this was back before the boarding numbers. I told DW that at a certain time if no one was going to start the line I would. At that time I went to the head of the line, DW had the video running, and you should see the line form, people running from all over the terminal to get in-line. DW and I were the first people introduced on that cruise.
Anytime we want a good laugh, we bring up that video.
I vote for bringing back the FIFO service.
We haven't been 1st but we were maybe 10th.
I like the idea but unfortunately due to DCLs short sightedness, they won't be able to do it. Which is a completely different story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter