Thinking of Christmas

Costco turned out to be a very expensive outing (for me). It's just around the corner from where I live but I don't go very often anymore.

I picked up 3 of the Bon Maman advent calendars for the over 80 set in the family as part of their Xmas gifts. Then they had Halloween candy on sale (couldn't pass that by). Cookies they haven't had in for months, a bunch of stuff DH added to the cart and a chicken for dinner.

It feels good to have some Xmas shopping started.

Love them!
It's like having a little bit of Disney right in your own home.
Ohhhh the pictures are great!
Thanks for sharing
Hugs
Mel

We bought them in DL a few years ago and I just love them! They are Disney without being *DISNEY*, most people don't even know what the paintings are unless we tell them.

So not Christmas related but American Thanksgiving related. For years now my friends and I have gotten together and celebrated American Thanksgiving the Saturday after their Thanksgiving. You know a way to have more turkey. Well we won't be having that this year so my Brother was thinking of getting in touch with a local caterer and having them make up 10 individually wrapped turkey dinners and we will pick them up and deliver them to everybodies house that Saturday. We know that caterers in the region are offering meals now for our Thanksgiving so we know that they can do it. Orders for 10 people with take up a whole turkey (I am sure) so just have to check it out. It will be pricey but everybody can celebrate together but apart.

That will be really nice! Now will this be a surprise for everyone or are you letting them know ahead of time?

Did someone say Jingle Bells???:santa:
I posted about this year's Christmas on another thread,,,yep my favorite time of the year.
We are doing a backyard Christmas Bonfire.
Each family brings their own supplies.
We will be together but socially distanced.

Today I ordered
Sparklers from Giant Tiger-curbside pick up
Mystic Magic fire pit color and marshmallow sticks to make smores from Amazon
I emailed Dollar Tree Canada about some lawn decorations
Hot Pockets (Hand warmers) from Canadian Tire - curbside pickup.
Java Fire logs from Canadian Tire -curbside pick up.

Hmmm I love Judy's idea .
I know Palma Pasta does cater and everyone in my family loves their food.

It will be a different type of planning but I am up to the challenge.
https://palmapasta.com/
I will say I hope my sons make a Christmas stocking for me because it just wouldn't be Christmas without one.

Oh my Gosh I just realized I may not have this accessory for my Grinch Village!
https://www.retrofestive.ca/dept-56-the-grinch-whos-with-their-toys/

Hugs
Mel

Ohhh I love this! Christmas bonfire!! You'll have to let us know how it goes. Sounds like it will be fun!

OMG, I really hope that our Costco has the Bonne Maman advent calendars, DH would love it!

I'm the big Lego fan in our house but only the Creator Expert ones. DH has told me that until we solve the display issue that I can't get any more!

Right now I have:
Disney Castle
Disney Railroad
Detective's office
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant

And I am in the middle of building the Haunted House that I am going to try and "Disneyfy" to make a quasi-Haunted Mansion setup.

It's not a great picture, but here is all of my Lego set up in an homage to Disneyland earlier this year!
View attachment 529057

My daughter has the Disney Castle. She likes to build and keep her lego built and displayed. So we put up 3 or 4 long shelves along her bedroom walls, above head height, and she keeps all her lego sets up there. Could you do something like that in a room?

Moose farts are a Newfoundland dessert. Here’s the link to the recipe. Great website by the way.

https://www.rockrecipes.com/moose-farts/
Ricotta cookies are an iced cake like Italian cookie. My oldest daughter’s favourite.

https://www.cookingwithnonna.com/italian-cuisine/ricotta-cookies.html

Awesome! Thank you. I am going to have to make those. I love sweetened condensed milk, coconut and graham crackers!

Costco turned out to be a very expensive outing (for me). It's just around the corner from where I live but I don't go very often anymore.

I picked up 3 of the Bon Maman advent calendars for the over 80 set in the family as part of their Xmas gifts. Then they had Halloween candy on sale (couldn't pass that by). Cookies they haven't had in for months, a bunch of stuff DH added to the cart and a chicken for dinner.

It feels good to have some Xmas shopping started.

Doesn't it and isn't it? My outing at Costco the other day was the first time since March. I had a really hard time pulling myself away from so many things... My bill still ended up being VERY high. :rolleyes1

Here you go, they are set up in the alcoves above our fireplaces, DH is annoyed that his scotch/whiskey collection is getting overtaken by Lego! (also check out the paintings above!)

View attachment 529223
View attachment 529224

The paintings are great. The house/mansion (haunted mansion?) is my favorite of the two.

That will be really nice! Now will this be a surprise for everyone or are you letting them know ahead of time?
Not sure yet - I am sure that I will have to let them know I will be by but haven't decided if we are going to tell them the surprise yet. I have actually already told my Mom and Sister so it is just the other 4 friends that I have to worry about. I know for sure that one will be home as she doesn't drive and doesn't have anybody in her bubble. I know sad but she has had outdoor visits with people. The other 2 don't go anywhere because my friend has dialysis 3 times a week so he will be home for sure so just have to figure out the last person.

I’m almost done with my Christmas shopping! 🎄 Living in a red zone, we are on partial lockdown and so I decided to finish my Holiday shopping early this year since I cannot get some of the stuff online and I’m afraid stores will have to close again soon.

Bought two PBK bean bags (Pottery Barn doesn’t ship to QC even though we have a store on the South Shore), two echo dots (currently 2 for 50$ on amazon for Prime members), a chromebook and a Yeti bottle (18oz seafoam is impossible to find online but I found it at a local camping store). Only need to get Adidas shoes and some hoodies to finish but that can be easily ordered online.

Times are bad and sad right now. How about a more cheery topic with thoughts to Christmas? What does everyone think they will be doing for Christmas this year? Any special presents you are looking for? Goods to bake?

I imagine it will be a quiet Christmas with just my family and Dad but I really don't mind that for once. I discovered I had $125 in LEGO points that had almost expired. I'm so glad I found that out before I lost them. My daughter loves Lego and likes the season winter sets. She would love the Diagon Alley set (it is gorgeous!) but check out the price! :scared: Not happening. Last year was a Gingerbread House set, which she did not get so I bought it for her this year. Ohh, I also purchased a 3D Stitch (brickworks) for her. I also discovered an 3D lego style Scrat holding an acorn and couldn't resist purchasing it for my husband. He loves squirrels and looks forward the most to seeing Scrat in the Ice Age movies. I can't wait for him to open that. I need to figure out presents for everyone else.

View attachment 529030View attachment 529031

How about advent calendars? Last year someone (on DIS) posted about a Bonne Maman calendar. It was the first time I heard about it but it was sold out on Amazon.ca. Yesterday, I found the new 2020 ones in Costco!! $29.99 no taxes. So happy! I bought three of these. My Dad loves Bonne Maman jam. I'll surprise him with one of the calendars on December 1st. It comes with 23 little 1 oz (23 ml) jars of DIFFERENT jams and 1 of honey. Including flavours which Bonne Maman does not sell normally, like Apricot with Lavender; Cherry with Christmas spice; Lemon & Yuzu. I will probably give the other one to my brother & sister-in-law and I'm definitely keeping one for myself (lol) Photos are on my phone so I'll throw them up in a minute.

View attachment 529035
View attachment 529036

Thanks for the info on the Bonne Maman advent calendar! We’re no longer Costco members but my friend got it for me today.

Did someone say Jingle Bells???:santa:
I posted about this year's Christmas on another thread,,,yep my favorite time of the year.
We are doing a backyard Christmas Bonfire.
Each family brings their own supplies.
We will be together but socially distanced.

Today I ordered
Sparklers from Giant Tiger-curbside pick up
Mystic Magic fire pit color and marshmallow sticks to make smores from Amazon
I emailed Dollar Tree Canada about some lawn decorations
Hot Pockets (Hand warmers) from Canadian Tire - curbside pickup.
Java Fire logs from Canadian Tire -curbside pick up.

Hmmm I love Judy's idea .
I know Palma Pasta does cater and everyone in my family loves their food.

It will be a different type of planning but I am up to the challenge.
https://palmapasta.com/
I will say I hope my sons make a Christmas stocking for me because it just wouldn't be Christmas without one.

Oh my Gosh I just realized I may not have this accessory for my Grinch Village!
https://www.retrofestive.ca/dept-56-the-grinch-whos-with-their-toys/

Hugs
Mel

Love the idea of a
bonfire! Unfortunately, all fires are prohibited on the island of Mtl.

I'm sure the state of the world is why I'm so far ahead on my Christmas shopping ;)

I am nearly done with my kids! I also have my Secret Santa and hubby done, along with most other family members I give to. I have an Excel spreadsheet where it's all organized and I at least know I what I still need to get. I love buying gifts!

I figure I'll start wrapping after Halloween. I have no idea what activities we will do this year. Normally we got see a really good version of A Christmas Carol the musical, retro Christmas movies at the movies, picking out our tree at the tree farm, etc. This year we are going to get tickets for a drive-through light display and hopefully will see a Christmas movie at the drive-in. That's about all I have planned for activities as of right now, but we will see if there are any other creative activities coming about. We will most likely be hosting my extended family through the holidays.

Not much in the way of plans. Quiet Christmas just the five of us. We will still bake up a storm—snowballs, moose farts, shortbread, chocolate peppermint cookies, ricotta cookies, gingerbread men...probably more. I told the kids we will do half batches for greater variety.

Christmas dinner will be casual. Not sure what I’ll cook yet. I anticipate lots of Christmas movies and meals by the tv.

I honestly do t mind that we won’t be visiting family for Christmas. I find that aspect of the holiday the least appealing—very draining. This year will be nice. I will miss our Christmas party. That is the one day a year that all my friends are in the same place at the same time.

My kids all want books for Christmas. Will start that shopping soon on Amazon. Stockings are always fun.

Christmas honestly doesn’t worry me. We will make merry no matter what.

Am I the only one who wants to know what moose farts are? ....And now I know LOL

Last edited:
Not sure for us. Might depend on the weather and my work schedule. Sure we will be doing some baking. DW makes her usual potato candies. It's a paste made from potato and icing sugar. Roll it flat, spread peanut butter and roll it up and slice it. My mom used to make something like it out of left over pie crust but with butter and brown sugar. I am not sure I can even say what they are called without getting the censors alarms off LOL

I made it to costco today to check for a bonne maman advent calendar, and no luck at my store.

I’m really hoping they make their way out here still! I would love a jam a day for a whole month!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter