Thinking of Christmas

I made it to costco today to check for a bonne maman advent calendar, and no luck at my store.

I’m really hoping they make their way out here still! I would love a jam a day for a whole month!!

Where do you live? I'm wondering if we're close enough that I could get one for you and pass it off to you. I'm just east of Oshawa.

So not Christmas related but American Thanksgiving related. For years now my friends and I have gotten together and celebrated American Thanksgiving the Saturday after their Thanksgiving. You know a way to have more turkey. Well we won't be having that this year so my Brother was thinking of getting in touch with a local caterer and having them make up 10 individually wrapped turkey dinners and we will pick them up and deliver them to everybodies house that Saturday. We know that caterers in the region are offering meals now for our Thanksgiving so we know that they can do it. Orders for 10 people with take up a whole turkey (I am sure) so just have to check it out. It will be pricey but everybody can celebrate together but apart.
Where are you located? There is a little company in Dublin, Ontario (in the London/Stratford area) that makes individual turkey dinners regularly. They can be eaten then or frozen and reheated. I've had them a few times now. and they're good.

Where are you located? There is a little company in Dublin, Ontario (in the London/Stratford area) that makes individual turkey dinners regularly. They can be eaten then or frozen and reheated. I've had them a few times now. and they're good.
I am in the Durham region but thanks. I did find a catering company that right now is making bento boxes for Canadian Thanksgiving so I may get in touch with them and see if they can make them end of November. There are actually a few catering companies in Durham so I have many choices. I belong to a facebook group Durham Region Eats and you can go on there and ask for recommendations for places so I have that as well.

Ohh, I also purchased a 3D Stitch (brickworks) for her. I also discovered an 3D lego style Scrat holding an acorn and couldn't resist purchasing it for my husband. He loves squirrels and looks forward the most to seeing Scrat in the Ice Age movies. I can't wait for him to open that. I need to figure out presents for everyone else.

View attachment 529030View attachment 529031

So Scrat arrived today! The package was bigger than I thought. Here's some photos. I can't wait to see my husband's face. :rotfl:
I'll have to post photos after Christmas when he assembles it.
Now waiting for Stitch to arrive.Scrat brickworks (lego) for James (1).jpgScrat brickworks (lego) for James (2).jpgScrat brickworks (lego) for James (3).jpgScrat brickworks (lego) for James (4).jpg

Did someone say Jingle Bells???:santa:
I posted about this year's Christmas on another thread,,,yep my favorite time of the year.
We are doing a backyard Christmas Bonfire.
Each family brings their own supplies.
We will be together but socially distanced.

Today I ordered
Sparklers from Giant Tiger-curbside pick up
Mystic Magic fire pit color and marshmallow sticks to make smores from Amazon
I emailed Dollar Tree Canada about some lawn decorations
Hot Pockets (Hand warmers) from Canadian Tire - curbside pickup.
Java Fire logs from Canadian Tire -curbside pick up.

Hmmm I love Judy's idea .
I know Palma Pasta does cater and everyone in my family loves their food.

It will be a different type of planning but I am up to the challenge.
https://palmapasta.com/
I will say I hope my sons make a Christmas stocking for me because it just wouldn't be Christmas without one.

Oh my Gosh I just realized I may not have this accessory for my Grinch Village!
https://www.retrofestive.ca/dept-56-the-grinch-whos-with-their-toys/

Hugs
Mel
Great ideas! We will also be having a backyard bonfire of some sort. We usually always do a light tour, this time we will just stay in our own vehicles. I'll have to pick up some of the things you mentioned, and we'll put more effort into decorating in our back yard this year as we will hopefully be hanging out a bit more with outdoor bonfires, etc. Hopefully we have a milder Christmas. 40 below isn't fun, even with a bonfire outside!

Backyard bonfire ?!?

This could work ! We are a large family and my parents live on acreage. I was feeling kind of bummed about not being able to see them but if weather cooperated we could totally do something like this !!! We could decorate outside , have hot chocolate and visit outside where we could be at a distance . Fingers crossed for another mild Decembers like we’ve been having the last few years !

can I just say that everytime I read the title of this thread my heart cracks a tiny bit more? All of the following things I'm mentioning need the explanation that hubby is in a high risk category and according to our family doctor, my dietitian, and allergist, because of my very limited diet I'm technically immune compromised. I can't see Christmas happening at all for us this year. I mean it will happen, just like in Whoville, without all the ribbons and bows, without the traditional things we're used to having happen. Our son and his wife live too far away to visit without staying over - not possible since they both work and are in contact with others so they can't come home. Our daughter and her wife are in our social bubble (we've been told we're able to consider ourselves as isolated enough to enter each other's house so long as we no longer have physical contact) but they have a new puppy so they can't come over here either - live within walking distance but our house isn't puppy friendly and they've yet to get enough seating for everyone in their new house 🤦‍♀. Because of my stupid restricted diet even the typical foods won't be possible. I'm allergic to poultry, can't have wheat ... heck i only have about 15 safe foods and I'm NOT happy about cooking food I can't eat.
I might put the tree up but even that's highly doubtful because that's where my sewing machine lives right now. I've taken to just leaving it set up to encourage me to do something that's just for me and being creative is my happy place. Maybe I'll make some new Christmas things to put up?!

many hugs to you @Donald - my hero ! this is so awful and we are all here with you on this one!

today I finally admitted to my DD that I am very scared of what it will be like if we are all still so controlled by this pandemic at this time next year. and my body responded by bursting into tears.

Usually I have a better handle on myself than that. But yeah... I know.

can I just say that everytime I read the title of this thread my heart cracks a tiny bit more? All of the following things I'm mentioning need the explanation that hubby is in a high risk category and according to our family doctor, my dietitian, and allergist, because of my very limited diet I'm technically immune compromised. I can't see Christmas happening at all for us this year. I mean it will happen, just like in Whoville, without all the ribbons and bows, without the traditional things we're used to having happen. Our son and his wife live too far away to visit without staying over - not possible since they both work and are in contact with others so they can't come home. Our daughter and her wife are in our social bubble (we've been told we're able to consider ourselves as isolated enough to enter each other's house so long as we no longer have physical contact) but they have a new puppy so they can't come over here either - live within walking distance but our house isn't puppy friendly and they've yet to get enough seating for everyone in their new house 🤦‍♀️. Because of my stupid restricted diet even the typical foods won't be possible. I'm allergic to poultry, can't have wheat ... heck i only have about 15 safe foods and I'm NOT happy about cooking food I can't eat.
I might put the tree up but even that's highly doubtful because that's where my sewing machine lives right now. I've taken to just leaving it set up to encourage me to do something that's just for me and being creative is my happy place. Maybe I'll make some new Christmas things to put up?!

Ok it is time for you to get a new job. Get that sewing machine going.🧵
I know there are many places in your city that could use a sweet treat this year.
Maybe you could make some mini stockings and drop them off at a local food bank or women's shelter emergency dept or fire station.......What about something for your local seniors home residents?
You have a wonderful sewing talent Hon.🧵
Maybe some new placemats/table napkins for the table for Christmas breakfast with hubby?
I love these hand sewn mice candy cane holders
A few ideas here.
https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/433049320411068938/Time to look at what the pottery shops have available for now and the next couple of months.
Sometimes I just need to see my family & friends so driveway /park visits help too.
You are strong Hon and will get through this season.
Thinking of you
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
many hugs to you @Donald - my hero ! this is so awful and we are all here with you on this one!

today I finally admitted to my DD that I am very scared of what it will be like if we are all still so controlled by this pandemic at this time next year. and my body responded by bursting into tears.

Usually I have a better handle on myself than that. But yeah... I know.

One month at a time Hon.
You can do this!
Hugs to you
Mel
1602357405029.png

Well let’s hope it’s better than thanksgiving . We just had dinner the boys and I at the dining room table the Princess self isolating in her room with a sore throat test booked for tomorrow ( I bet strep as it’s an ongoing battle every year and I feel awful bc the virtual doc won’t give her abxs so she will suffer prob close to a week miss who knows how many days of her new octomeister starts Tuesday )
Has to be better . Although we had a ten day dream Disney trip over the holidays .. that hurts

Well let’s hope it’s better than thanksgiving . We just had dinner the boys and I at the dining room table the Princess self isolating in her room with a sore throat test booked for tomorrow ( I bet strep as it’s an ongoing battle every year and I feel awful bc the virtual doc won’t give her abxs so she will suffer prob close to a week miss who knows how many days of her new octomeister starts Tuesday )
Has to be better . Although we had a ten day dream Disney trip over the holidays .. that hurts

Hi Hon
I Googled your area a few weeks ago to see what things happen there for Christmas and wow hon you have lots of community activities.(I know some will be cancelled this year). Now I know things are going to be different this year but I say buy those kids some skates and a thermos.
My little story:
So I grew up with three brothers and a sister,,,,,if you didn't play hockey you skated.
My dad bless his soul would spend hours every night clearing and flooding a outdoor park community ice rink for us. The city parked an old trailer on the spot and installed the wooden frame but the rest was up to the community,,,now a lot of kids skated but my dad was the only parent who did all the work.
One winter our apt. burnt down when we were young kids and we moved to a small village in a very old farm house with no central heating. We learned a lot about family and our inner strength that many might think was hard on kids but I think it pulled us together in a way most families will never understand.
You are a great mom and you can do this.
Hugs to you
Mel

I think we’re just having a small gathering too. Brother in law our 2 daughters and the fiancé. So only 6. May look into a Turkey roast this year. For Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow we’re (same cast of characters) we’re doing a prime rib roast.
🦃 Happy Thanksgiving!

Love and good thoughts to you @Donald - my hero. These are hard, trying times. As you said, Christmas will happen no matter what—let’s try and bring light where we can. I live the craft ideas. I may have my three kids work on a project like this for our church to pass on to people who are isolated for various reasons this year. It’s a small thing, but even the small things matter.

As for advent calendars: my kids are going with the Purdy’s chocolate one this year.

https://www.purdys.com/christmas-village-advent-calendar
I’ve started shopping. No Christmas get togethers this year, but everything for the five of us will remain the same.

Times are bad and sad right now. How about a more cheery topic with thoughts to Christmas? What does everyone think they will be doing for Christmas this year? Any special presents you are looking for? Goods to bake?

I imagine it will be a quiet Christmas with just my family and Dad but I really don't mind that for once. I discovered I had $125 in LEGO points that had almost expired. I'm so glad I found that out before I lost them. My daughter loves Lego and likes the season winter sets. She would love the Diagon Alley set (it is gorgeous!) but check out the price! :scared: Not happening. Last year was a Gingerbread House set, which she did not get so I bought it for her this year. Ohh, I also purchased a 3D Stitch (brickworks) for her. I also discovered an 3D lego style Scrat holding an acorn and couldn't resist purchasing it for my husband. He loves squirrels and looks forward the most to seeing Scrat in the Ice Age movies. I can't wait for him to open that. I need to figure out presents for everyone else.

View attachment 529030View attachment 529031

How about advent calendars? Last year someone (on DIS) posted about a Bonne Maman calendar. It was the first time I heard about it but it was sold out on Amazon.ca. Yesterday, I found the new 2020 ones in Costco!! $29.99 no taxes. So happy! I bought three of these. My Dad loves Bonne Maman jam. I'll surprise him with one of the calendars on December 1st. It comes with 23 little 1 oz (23 ml) jars of DIFFERENT jams and 1 of honey. Including flavours which Bonne Maman does not sell normally, like Apricot with Lavender; Cherry with Christmas spice; Lemon & Yuzu. I will probably give the other one to my brother & sister-in-law and I'm definitely keeping one for myself (lol) Photos are on my phone so I'll throw them up in a minute.

View attachment 529035
View attachment 529036
Have you seen they have Lego Art? I think those are pretty cool. It is something different but, some are pricey. It is something that can be displayed on a wall and not left underfoot. OUCH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter