Third Wave is Here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So they've said we are officially in our third wave, and they're expecting it to be worse than 1 or 2 because it's being driven primarily by the UK variant. How are things going where you are? In NB we had been doing really well, but today one zone just got shut back down to red (from yellow) due to a sharp rise in cases (doubling every day for the past 3 days), and we have 3 schools (maybe more?) now that have confirmed UK variant cases. Our Atlantic Bubble they were going to re-open in April is looking to be in jeopardy now :(

So they've said we are officially in our third wave, and they're expecting it to be worse than 1 or 2 because it's being driven primarily by the UK variant. How are things going where you are? In NB we had been doing really well, but today one zone just got shut back down to red (from yellow) due to a sharp rise in cases (doubling every day for the past 3 days), and we have 3 schools (maybe more?) now that have confirmed UK variant cases. Our Atlantic Bubble they were going to re-open in April is looking to be in jeopardy now :(

I’m in Ontario which as a province has been going back up. But my local area has been pretty much at the same level of cases over the last few weeks and has actually started going down slightly the last week.

the more people who have already had it and the more people who are vaccinated the less it will matter even if the numbers go up. That said I expect Ontario will be under a stay at home order within two weeks

the more people who have already had it and the more people who are vaccinated the less it will matter even if the numbers go up. That said I expect Ontario will be under a stay at home order within two weeks

Except they are saying they are seeing more young healthy people in the hospital then before. And yeah I think the kids April school break won’t be a week.

800 cases today here in BC, the biggest number of cases since December 2nd. Sigh. Third wave is definitely here. We are just finishing two weeks of spring break with schools set to reopen on Monday. I live in the Covid hotspot of BC (Surrey) so they are making vaccines an even bigger priority in this particular area, by getting 9000 school staff/teachers vaccinated ASAP, starting yesterday. They are hoping to be done by April 1st with the teachers. Despite our numbers going UP, some restrictions have been lifted and there are more to be lifted......

Quiet and very low to no daily numbers in my small area in Eastern Ontario. But small neighbouring communities have been hit hard presumably when an asymptomatic person mingles with seniors at venues like curling clubs, community service organization meetings, etc. When small communities went to the green level, it seems some forgot to social distance and stay home. Our local hospitals are preparing to take ICU cases if our Kingston hub hospital is overwhelmed. Not out of the woods yet.

Yeah numbers are definitely on the rise :( I have a page that's open and I glance at it about once a day.
CBC COVID-19 Tracker
You can toggle to look at either the entire country or each province and at either the entire time or the last 90 days. Here's the cases for the full time frame in Ontario

A summary of the important facts, of which the hospital/ICU is most troubling in my mind

I had a link somewhere that let you look at each health unit within Ontario but that's slipped my mind right now, but i found it intriguing. I have a friend in Sudbury and the numbers there are REALLY scary, they've gone back to grey and close to 50% are the variants.

800 cases today here in BC, the biggest number of cases since December 2nd. Sigh. Third wave is definitely here. We are just finishing two weeks of spring break with schools set to reopen on Monday. I live in the Covid hotspot of BC (Surrey) so they are making vaccines an even bigger priority in this particular area, by getting 9000 school staff/teachers vaccinated ASAP, starting yesterday. They are hoping to be done by April 1st with the teachers. Despite our numbers going UP, some restrictions have been lifted and there are more to be lifted......

Yup. I find it so confusing... I've just stopped reading the news for the most part (except in regards to tourism, cause that's my job.)

NS has been having between 1-5 cases daily. There are two cases right now in a Jr High and Sr High school, but Dr. Strang said he isn't concerned about those. My guess is they are related (maybe siblings?). We have 27 active cases. As long as the cases are traceable and they can find the source, Dr. Strang doesn't really panic.

Premier Iain Rankin said he will be watching the New Brunswick outbreak closely, but Nova Scotia still plans to proceed with reopening the Atlantic bubble on April 19.

Premier Iain Rankin said he will be watching the New Brunswick outbreak closely, but Nova Scotia still plans to proceed with reopening the Atlantic bubble on April 19.

Oh I hope so. The bubble is set to open April 19th and we leave April 26th for our daughter's surgery. The bubble being open will make our stay at the IWK so much easier (less restrictions).

It's going up in Ontario and Ford is not helping by opening things up. The vaccinations are going so incredibly slow that it isn't going to make a lick of difference.

People are not flocking to be vaccinated like they should be. There are tens of thousands of open appointments in Toronto for next week for people over 70. If those ages aren't going to get vaccinated they should just keep dropping the age.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-l...-to-fill-30k-available-appointments-1.5363488

Last edited:
People are not flocking to be vaccinated like they should be. There are tens of thousands of open appointments in Toronto for next week for people over 70. If those ages aren't going to get vaccinated they should just keep dropping the age.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-l...-to-fill-30k-available-appointments-1.5363488

I don’t think they figured in the % of people who would not get a vaccine for various reasons. And yep they should be dropping the age and get those appointments filled.

For sure, drop the age! My parents are 74 and waiting to be able to sign up. I'm 46 so know it's a bit longer wait but I'd be happy to get it now too! It is a bit frustrating to watch and realize people are not getting it. They are doing some pop up clinics in the smaller towns around Ottawa (still considered part of Ottawa but on the outskirts), still need an appointment but perhaps the location will help? I believe there have been some complaints about the locations available currently, many are closer to downtown.

I think back to last Easter, we did a Skype party with my family and figured by Mother's Day it would be all back to normal. Now here we are creeping up on Easter again and still in the same place. Hopefully summer will lighten things up again as it was last year. Not everything opened of course but it was somehow better, though that could have been the sunshine too :)

Please let us in rural Ontario have your vaccines if GTA won't take them. I fought online for a vaccine for my 75+ yr old aunt on Monday. I got one for her but so many 75+ in Central/Eastern Ontario can't get their first shot for another week or so. Our 70+ won't open for weeks. We have 70+ with cancer, immune problems, Down Syndrome and other significant health issues. Everyone needs that shot. The local vaccine centre is only open from 10am-3pm because not enough vaccines. Moderna only here. We'll take everything we can get. I understand the need to flood the GTA with vaccines because of high transmission rates. But please don't waste those shots. The rest of Ontario wants them. We can't get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter