• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This is Us- Season four

I didn't watch until today, but I liked this episode better than the previous one - I think mostly because the secondary characters were secondary, and I didn't feel lost. :laughing:

I loved that we saw a glimpse of the new "big 3" set! It will be interesting to fill in their little-kid years in the story line.

I think Randall's family is going to make it in Philly, and I definitely think Kevin is going to get together with Cassidy.

Last edited:
Ok, my last play at devil’s advocate.... Deja’s meeting Malik can certainly be in the present, but Malik and his baby scenes could be in the future. And yup, that lady’s car had the Pearson bumper sticker on it. But I’m sure we all have seen cars that still have old campaign stickers on them months (or years) later. I was kind of thinking that Malik’s dad’s conversation about how the lady can pay her bill overtime may be laying the foundation for another discussion later on....like when she finally pays off the balance a year later and Malik’s dad says something like “you still have that Pearson sticker on your car? He won like over a year ago!” Which would make the timing sequence line up with Malik’s (and Deja’s) baby. 👍🏾

So, the Pearson family move, Malik/his dad/lady and bumper sticker car, Malik and Deja meeting... all present time.

Malik hanging with his boys, checking on his baby on the phone, bringing burger to his mom, talking to his dad about babysitting for a BBQ (one of many it seems)..... the future.

Commercial showing Malik asking Deja if she’s heard stuff about him (hinting towards the fact that he has a baby).... they’re setting us up...playing with our minds, making us think he’s talking about the baby but it’s actually something else 🤪

My mind wanders......

So Kevin showed up at Nicky's house instead of going to Chicago?

Yes. They made us think he wanted to stay behind because of baby Jack. Then Kate encouraged him to go to Chicago. On his way to the airport we assume he is going to Chicago. But they kept flashing back to Kevin and Jack and that conversation. Jack said something to Kevin about surrounding yourself with people who need you and who you need. It makes you into the man you want to be. I guess those words moved Kevin to go help Nicky.

I liked how they linked the past into the future and how Kevin is still "going through something." I think I will like the Nicky/Kevin story line. It seems like Kevin is taking over for Jack as Nicky's keeper.

Jack said something to Kevin about surrounding yourself with people who need you and who you need. It makes you into the man you want to be. I guess those words moved Kevin to go help Nicky.

I liked how they linked the past into the future and how Kevin is still "going through something." I think I will like the Nicky/Kevin story line. It seems like Kevin is taking over for Jack as Nicky's keeper.
I'm not convinced that Kevin isn't going in to acting. I think he will help Nicky, though, and it looked to me that he was giving that plant for Nicky to nurture, and will be supporting him in his sobriety.

Last edited:

Ok, my last play at devil’s advocate.... Deja’s meeting Malik can certainly be in the present, but Malik and his baby scenes could be in the future. And yup, that lady’s car had the Pearson bumper sticker on it. But I’m sure we all have seen cars that still have old campaign stickers on them months (or years) later. I was kind of thinking that Malik’s dad’s conversation about how the lady can pay her bill overtime may be laying the foundation for another discussion later on....like when she finally pays off the balance a year later and Malik’s dad says something like “you still have that Pearson sticker on your car? He won like over a year ago!” Which would make the timing sequence line up with Malik’s (and Deja’s) baby. 👍🏾

So, the Pearson family move, Malik/his dad/lady and bumper sticker car, Malik and Deja meeting... all present time.

Malik hanging with his boys, checking on his baby on the phone, bringing burger to his mom, talking to his dad about babysitting for a BBQ (one of many it seems)..... the future.

Commercial showing Malik asking Deja if she’s heard stuff about him (hinting towards the fact that he has a baby).... they’re setting us up...playing with our minds, making us think he’s talking about the baby but it’s actually something else 🤪

My mind wanders......
So glad I’m not the only one to think way to much about the plot twists. I get where you’re coming from, but the only thing that makes me question that train of thought is Beth and Randell. I can’t see them turning their backs on a grandbaby. Just my opinion! Thanks for making my mind wonder 😊

So glad I’m not the only one to think way to much about the plot twists. I get where you’re coming from, but the only thing that makes me question that train of thought is Beth and Randell. I can’t see them turning their backs on a grandbaby. Just my opinion! Thanks for making my mind wonder 😊

That scene isn't from the future. Malik wasn't going to the cookout because he was going to watch the baby. His dad tells him to go ahead and have fun. He then meets Deja at the cookout.

That scene isn't from the future. Malik wasn't going to the cookout because he was going to watch the baby. His dad tells him to go ahead and have fun. He then meets Deja at the cookout.
This. And Malik’s dad was specifically talking about not going the easy way for money even when you have a beautiful child. The drug dealer/whatever and Malik talked while Dad and Pearson sticker lady discussed payment terms.

We watched it tonight and loved this episode. It really hit home with me. Having an almost 16 yr old, I am constantly aware of how quickly time went/is going by. My sweet girl was Annie, but now she could be teen Tess, Deja, Randall, Kevin, or Kate depending on the moment and the mood. I fully understood Rebecca and Beth in this episode. We've even had the haircut moment recently. As in this episode, it turned out just fine, too. Tess looks adorable with the new style, IMO. And my husband would absolutely have been Randall on that bus. : )

As for the rest: so worried about Kate; feeling like Toby is literally working his stress out; really feeling Kevin's struggle with himself in this episode, past and present; glad to see Randall and family are doing well at the moment - love that they handed down their worst case scenario tradition

I'm not convinced that Kevin isn't going in to acting. I think he will help Nicky, though, and it looked to me that he was giving that plant for Nicky to nurture, and will be supporting him in his sobriety.

(Thanks, Kimblebee :)

Kevin

I really liked this episode. We didn’t really learn anything major, just seeing how the past influences the present, and the future.

I’m am still so smitten by Kevin/Justin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't. I just can't. :rotfl2:

Perfection in description.

------------

I don't know. All I can remember is that the casting of the toddlers was atrocious. The things that catch my eye. :laughing:

Honestly I am still not past this from the first episode --- Oh man. :drinking1:flower3:View attachment 441091
:goodvibes So, so, so NOT my type but haven’t we also discussed you liking Norman Reedus!?! :love2:

:goodvibes So, so, so NOT my type

I am not even sure Milo is totally my type, more Jack. It isn't even about looks with this one. It is the way Jack looks at Rebecca - their storyline is really beautiful.

------------------

OT - But I do have interesting attractions. They include Jeff Van Gundy, Kumail Nanjiani and Preet Bharara.

And here's another example where I am attracted to a character but not an actor - Cole from The Affair, nothing for Joshua Jackson.

Last edited:
I am constantly aware of how quickly time went/is going by.

That part was really well done.

---------------

I felt that in the first episode too. I felt emotional about loved ones that have passed away as well, while taking in the last scenes. The trajectory of their lives, how it all intertwines with mine/ours. And a sadness over not being able to reach out and all the questions I never thought to ask when I had the chance.

For some reason Rebecca's scenes - with her grandson Jack and hoping she would be on a big stage singing - really brought out that sentiment in me.

Last edited:
We watched it tonight and loved this episode. It really hit home with me. Having an almost 16 yr old, I am constantly aware of how quickly time went/is going by. My sweet girl was Annie, but now she could be teen Tess, Deja, Randall, Kevin, or Kate depending on the moment and the mood. I fully understood Rebecca and Beth in this episode. We've even had the haircut moment recently. As in this episode, it turned out just fine, too. Tess looks adorable with the new style, IMO. And my husband would absolutely have been Randall on that bus. : )

As for the rest: so worried about Kate; feeling like Toby is literally working his stress out; really feeling Kevin's struggle with himself in this episode, past and present; glad to see Randall and family are doing well at the moment - love that they handed down their worst case scenario tradition
I was thinking about this yesterday after I watched this week's episode. I stopped watching This Is Us in December of last year, as we had personal things going on and our daily life was chaos and I didn't have the emotional energy to devote to the show. I was already emotionally exhausted at the end of each day and couldn't take more drama/sadness from the Pearson's. So I have not seen the end of Season Three. I am starting Season Four without knowing what happened in almost half the season last year. Maybe I'll go back and catch up someday. :flower3:

I was thinking about this yesterday after I watched this week's episode. I stopped watching This Is Us in December of last year, as we had personal things going on and our daily life was chaos and I didn't have the emotional energy to devote to the show. I was already emotionally exhausted at the end of each day and couldn't take more drama/sadness from the Pearson's. So I have not seen the end of Season Three. I am starting Season Four without knowing what happened in almost half the season last year. Maybe I'll go back and catch up someday. :flower3:
You probably don’t even need to. You already know they met Uncle Nicky and Kevin relapsed. Kate had baby Jack. Beth and Randall moved to Philadelphia. I can’t really think of any other major plot points with the Big 3. In fact, you might be better off not seeing Randall and Beth—it was excruciating. The Jack and Rebecca stuff is so much back and forth that you only get little snips anyway.

This is the part that really hit home for me too. My DS22 just graduated from college this past May and moved away to start his career in August. Right now he's in Fargo, ND on a project. My DD20 is a junior in college. I felt my family life slipping away for good during all of last year, and I was pretty sad and anxiety ridden about it. I planned and executed 2 full weeks of Forced Family Fun in July. I took us all to London (3 days) and South Africa (9 days) for sightseeing and safari - one last family hurrah. I LOVED the lack of cell phone service in Kruger Park because DH and I got our kids all to ourselves during that time. I could so relate to how Jack and Rebecca were feeling at the pool.

I am not even sure Milo is totally my type, more Jack. It isn't even about looks with this one. It is the way Jack looks at Rebecca - their storyline is really beautiful.

------------------

OT - But I do have interesting attractions. They include Jeff Van Gundy, Kumail Nanjiani and Preet Bharara.

And here's another example where I am attracted to a character but not an actor - Cole from The Affair, nothing for Joshua Jackson.

I’m like you. I don’t go for pretty guys, like, at all. Having said that, I drool over Kevin/Justin every single scene he’s in. It’s mostly his character though. He’s so flawed, but his heart is so good and he tries so hard.

lol I’m the opposite of you. I was going through a LOT last winter and I looked forward to the show each week because it gave me a chance to feel all my pent up emotions and let them out. I ugly cried almost every week at even the most innocent moments.

I also watched Philadelphia a few times because I knew it would make me cry and let it all out.

I’m like you. I don’t go for pretty guys, like, at all. Having said that, I drool over Kevin/Justin every single scene he’s in. It’s mostly his character though. He’s so flawed, but his heart is so good and he tries so hard.

lol I’m the opposite of you. I was going through a LOT last winter and I looked forward to the show each week because it gave me a chance to feel all my pent up emotions and let them out. I ugly cried almost every week at even the most innocent moments.

I also watched Philadelphia a few times because I knew it would make me cry and let it all out.
I was ugly crying every day, there was nothing left to get out on Tuesday nights.

He graduated from high school this past spring with my son. The school/town's claim to fame :) He may look 12 but he's really 17-18.

Asante Blackk is 17 his birthday just passed so those episodes he was like 16 because they started shooting in the summer.
Also his Aunt is Samira Wiley from Orange is the new black and the Handsmaids tale.

So Kevin showed up at Nicky's house instead of going to Chicago?

Yes he did.

I have loved both episodes so far this season. Feels kind of like a reboot to me. And with this show a lot of times parallel's real life I mean how many times in life do you never meet new people especially in a big family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter