This weeks burning question

Will fears of a worsening economy affect your travel plans?

• Yes - I've decided not to travel this year

• Maybe - It depends on if the right deal comes along

• No - I'm going on vacation!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I had to vote Yes, but not because of the economy. We are suspending big vacations this year due to buying a house in Dec. '07. I'm hoping to find $$ to stash for a WDW vacation in Dec. '09. Besides, we were fortunate enough to have made two trips two years in a row, Jun '06 and Aug '07, so I think we've had our fill for at least a year. ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo pluto:

Your fill??? There is no such thing when it comes to WDW :worship:

I am going this year because I have already paid for a lot of it. I got airline tickets on miles. Plus, this is probably my last time to go to Disney World--health issues and probable retirement will put an end to traveling. I'm going to go for it while I still can!!!

We have been to WDW in 2006 & 2007. Plus other past years.
So we did not plan to return this year.

In 2007 we were spinkled with magic and won Dream passes at MK for the whole day. The Dream passes also made great soveniers. Thank you WDW.:goodvibes

We are planning our 2010 WDW magical vacation. Not sure if WDW plans anything for 2010 - but it will be our 25th wedding anniversary. So are planning our own magic for us and our two teens.

I voted no. The key word is fear. I don't want to offend anyone who is
having a hard time. I only hope the best for them. But the reality is that
the enonomy is very good overall. It is the news media who is bringing about the fear. When they write about the fear day after day they will finally get what they want, which is a downturn in the economy. In other words if you wish for something long enough you may get what you want. People stop
buying out of the fear and put people out of jobs. So my suggestion is don't borrow or cut your finances to close to travel, but if you have the money spend it and keep Americans in jobs.

We will be at Disney in April, Sept. and Dec. and Vero Beach in May.

John & Christy

Yes, we are coming to WDW this year in June. This trip has basically been in the "works" since getting home from the last one in 05. Despite traveling w/ a baby, our special needs child, seriously no major savings for this or life and staying at the Poly and on the DDP we're going. Planning WDW trips or any vacation is wonderful and as one poster said too, gets me through the winter.

You need to live while your living, share the joy of what makes you happy with your kids and if we need to eat mac and cheese for the week after we get home, it is worth it! (FYI if it wasn't Disney, We'd still be planning to take the family somewhere)

WDW or Bust...in June and already planning the next trip for Novemeber 2011 too:goodvibes

I work for a small flooring contractor and things don't look so bright but I've been there, did that and I'm going back to Disney. It's a cycle and I plan for cycles. Anyways Uncle Sam is helping to fund the trip. Getting our rebates and I didn't even have to send them a receipt and UPC.

just looking up past my post and saw this....made me laugh :laughing: "Getting our rebates and I didn't even have to send them a receipt and UPC"

Ditto that, that is how we paid for our trip in 05 too, figure while we still are getting some $ from Uncle Sam we should go on vacation....instead of plunking it all back on debt. May not sound to smart, but we watch ourselves and spread the Disney love to every three years.

We have WDW trips scheduled for October and December. We're not staying as many days overall since DH changed jobs and doesn't have as many vacation days. :sad1:

I work in an industry that is affected by the economy slump. Half the people I worked with have been laid-off. I have to admit that I’m a bit frightened for my future employment. But as another poster said “been there…done that”. I‘ve been laid off three times in the last 29 years….home mortgages/building. I’ve weathered storms like this before. When I’m in a layoff year I’ve cut back, but still went on vacation. And I’ve learned from the process. I’m lucky enough to have almost no debt. I pay my credit card bill each and every month……in full….no matter the balance.

2008’s airfares and half the hotel charges are already paid for on the two trips. If I have to cut back when I get there…will do. But I’m still going.

We're going to the beach with friends this summer.

We had to cancel our Disney trip, but not because of the economy, it was because of a 5 week school strike! We usually go to Disney the first week in June right after the kids get out of school. This year they get out on June 24th, that is if there isn't anymore snow days...not likely in Pittsburgh!

We're very fortunate to have DVC points, so that really helps in funding our Disney trips, since we don't have to worry about coming up with $ for our room.

Fortunately I live close enough that I can drive to WDW. When we go we stay at the Pop and usually take our dorm fridge and our microwave. We have a lot of meals in the room and that helps save money. So I don't see us changing vacation plans.

The worsening economy has hit our family, my husband is a contractor and with the housing prices as they are work is slow. But, with that said, we are still going to Disney in November. I'm cutting back on other things in order to save for the trip. Now if only the oil prices would drop, I'd be soooo happy:yay:

Won't stop me...I have 2 DVC trips planned and I plan on going to both!!:banana:

Considering that most on the DIS boards already on DVC... I am not surprised by the numbers. Considering that higher prices really don't affect DVC members as much as other travelers, we would of course all still go on vacation... Plus our only choices are use the points, rent the points or bank the points....

The only increase we worry about is the cost to get from home to Disney... So plane flight costs or fuel... Then Food and Tickets second...

Considering that fuel would only run the average of $50-100 more than normal with higher gas prices, that does not really affect much of the pocket book as a lodging would. Then lets consider Food and Tickets... With park tickets the majority of DVC'ers try to get Annual Passes and fit 2 or more trips on the passes... Therefore again, it doesn't matter... With food, more and more try to choose the time of Free Dining... or just go to the grocery store and cook in the rooms as much as possible.. Love getting the 1 or 2 BR for this reason.. First day run to Walmart, stock up on as much food as possible for the week and cook as many meals as feasible in the room... Spend the same as you would at home to eat..... Splurg one or two times on table service meals just as at home and maybe a couple of counter service meals and the rest is in the room...

When we plan to do that, I usually make a couple of huge meals with plenty of left overs therefore I only had to actually slave over the stove a couple of times and the rest is slaving over the microwave..... For example, make baked ziti---2 huge pans of it...eat 1/2 a pan first night of it and then that leaves plenty for lunches or dinners... Or husband likes to make a 6lb meatloaf in a roast pan---eat about a 3rd the first night and then plenty left over to make meatloaf sandwiches---my husbands favorite..or reheat and make another meal, just need to make side dishes.

Hoping that the struggling economy will mean less people flying and maybe a good flight deal here or there. I'm vacationing.

Our flower shop is doing great and we have more business than we can handle right now. That is do to most of our corporate clients being in the oil and gas field. So we are going to WDW. Of course I'm not giving it all to the mouse, we are still driving down and staying in a value resort. You never know when things could change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter