• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thomas Markle, father of Meghan

When & where had Meghan rake him through the coals?

What I meant by that was in the first instance her father had that scandal with the paps, Meghan and Harry could have easily nipped it in the bud immediately. Reach out to her father to explain why this is bad, why it shouldn't happen again, emphasize the importance, etc. The Royals could have released an immediate statement squashing it, saying it was a mistake, her father apologizes, won't happen again, and re-focus everyone to the impending wedding. Instead, everyone was silent on the matter and her father continued to dig a hole for himself when it seems like he was trying to do right by the whole thing. But he was too far gone at that point. And now, it seems like they had to contrive the story of health issues to prevent him from attending when they could have squashed it from jump street.

So, again, I feel like there must have been a true or meaningful relationship there before she was with Harry, which is why she wanted him to walk her down the aisle. If not, it would have been extremely risky for the Royals to play that card knowing he wasn't a reliable representative.

Not to be facisious but maybe that’s partly because America has no class-system like Britain has had since the dark ages. Nor does any American have (or truly understand) the ingrained sense of submission to the Monarchy. The Middletons know their place and the degree of decorum that’s required. It’s not about being polite, it’s about being “proper”.
I’m an American, and while this sounds insulting, you’re not wrong.

Maybe she finds him embarrassing and he knows it and was trying to find an excuse not to attend bc he felt she didn't want him there. Maybe something hurt him and he felt not to attend for that reason. Maybe he's being manipulated. Who knows. There could be a whole slew of scenarios with the stuff out there. The media puts out what is the most crazy, it's all gossip and who knows for sure.

Not to be facisious but maybe that’s partly because America has no class-system like Britain has had since the dark ages. Nor does any American have (or truly understand) the ingrained sense of submission to the Monarchy. The Middletons know their place and the degree of decorum that’s required. It’s not about being polite, it’s about being “proper”.

Americans understood monarchy properly enough to know they bloody well didn't want to bow and scrape to one, despite having the greatest proportion of our population at the time having experience with the system. I don't know about facetious, but it is a bit preposterous (not to mention insulting and stereotyping) to assume that it's akin to rocket science and a vast majority of Americans today cannot begin to endeavor to understand the idea of the implications of monarchy as an intellectual exercise.

While I get your perception & understanding of the class-system, as you are part of one of the British Commomwealths, and since, probably grade school, you were taught the class-systems, I'm not talking of that kind of class. I'm talking about the kind of "class" in which a person has eloquence, grace of demeanor and integrity. I've seen people here, raised from ghettos & the projects have more "class" that people who grew up with silver spoons in their mouths and went to Yale & Harvard.

It's the class that Amy Tan, a Chinese American author, telling tales & lessons her mother taught her, in her book & movie, The Joy Luck Club, says, "One cannot be taught class. One has to be born with it."

Even George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion & My Fair Lady, is about how much "class" can one really teach someone?

However, if we go by your definition of class-system & learning one's proper place & decorum, we do have hierarchies within certain types of professions as well as the government. Thomas Markle was a lighting designer. Certainly he knew his position within the TV & film industry he was a part of. He probably started off as a lighting crew member and worked his way up to being an assistant lighting designer, then lighting designer. Yet, he knew his position was underneath the technical director, who is under the director, who is under the producer, etc. I assume he knew his place within that structure.

He probably had also signed non-disclosure agreements for shows he worked on. So that he wouldn't leak any spoilers to TV shows & movies he worked on. Or generally knew to keep his mouth shut about such things.

Yet, for some reason, he can't keep his mouth shut when it comes to his daughter's and SIL's privacy? Nope, I don't buy it. I can't believe she didn't have a conversation with him along the lines of, "Dad please don't say anything publicly that goes on between us, or with you and Harry. Whatever happens has to remain private."

Right after his alleged heart operation, he had an interview with TMZ and, saying he wanted privacy and to be left alone. He also publicly told his other two children to shut up, stop talking about Meghan and leave her alone. So he obviously knows what's the "right" thing to do.

Yet, several weeks later, when The Sun, waves money at him, he's doing a full 180 degrees against what he said he, himself would be doing regarding Meghan. :sad2:

Americans understood monarchy properly enough to know they bloody well didn't want to bow and scrape to one, despite having the greatest proportion of our population at the time having experience with the system. I don't know about facetious, but it is a bit preposterous (not to mention insulting and stereotyping) to assume that it's akin to rocket science and a vast majority of Americans today cannot begin to endeavor to understand the idea of the implications of monarchy as an intellectual exercise.
I'm not suggesting it can't be understood; I'm saying there's no reason for anyone other than a British subject to give assent. Any you're a little too quick to take offence - nothing about my post suggested I though submission to the Crown is a good thing or something to be aspired to by those of us from more egalitarian cultures. :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting it can't be understood; I'm saying there's no reason for anyone other than a British subject to give assent. Any you're a little too quick to take offence - nothing about my post suggested I though submission to the Crown is a good thing or something to be aspired to by those of us from more egalitarian cultures. :rolleyes:

You merely stated flat out that Americans could not understand it.

You merely stated flat out that Americans could not understand it.
Wow you're abrasive. Is there some reason for it? Let's flesh out the bolded a little, shall we? What egalitarian thinker realizes as part of their sub-conscious a true submission to any other human being? To know and innately accept that some people are just "better" than them? That there is a "diving right of kings"? That the nobility (appointed at the pleasure of Royals) are superior to the gentry? That the gentry, deemed such largely by good fortune are better than commoners? I was never talking about "intellectual" understanding. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of "bowing and scraping" to any person is repellent and debasing.

Wow you're abrasive. Is there some reason for it? Let's flesh out the bolded a little, shall we? What egalitarian thinker realizes as part of their sub-conscious a true submission to any other human being? To know and innately accept that some people are just "better" than them? That there is a "diving right of kings"? That the nobility (appointed at the pleasure of Royals) are superior to the gentry? That the gentry, deemed such largely by good fortune are better than commoners? I was never talking about "intellectual" understanding. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of "bowing and scraping" to any person is repellent and debasing.

Basically you feel Americans are incapable of "riddling out" the process of proper behavior within a monarchal structure. I disagree. It's not rocket science after all.

Despite being wealthy, even the Middletons are not aristocrats, and therefore do not intuitively understand all of the super secret handshakes amongst the British Royal Family. Princess Diana had an aristocratic upbringing and had to be schooled when becoming a member of "the Firm". Being Canadian doesn't offer some wealth of insight unavailable and completely mysterious to Americans. That's absolutely absurd. We get it, we simply choose not to participate in it.

For someone as removed as Thomas Markle is from the situation it's not incredibly burdensome or challenging whatsoever. An ounce of common sense and common decency is all it takes to understand not to talk to the press. Were he to have come into contact with the family it would not have been for a state occasion, so if he had flubbed and shaken the hand of a family member he shouldn't or used the wrong form of address with the Queen they should have had more than enough graciousness to overlook it without judgment and it would have happened behind closed doors. That's not even a remote possibility anymore, as it's plain to see he will never have the welcome mat rolled out with the royals, period, because he has shown poor character.

Basically you feel Americans are incapable of "riddling out" the process of proper behavior within a monarchal structure. I disagree. It's not rocket science after all.

Despite being wealthy, even the Middletons are not aristocrats, and therefore do not intuitively understand all of the super secret handshakes amongst the British Royal Family. Princess Diana had an aristocratic upbringing and had to be schooled when becoming a member of "the Firm". Being Canadian doesn't offer some wealth of insight unavailable and completely mysterious to Americans. That's absolutely absurd. We get it, we simply choose not to participate in it.

For someone as removed as Thomas Markle is from the situation it's not incredibly burdensome or challenging whatsoever. An ounce of common sense and common decency is all it takes to understand not to talk to the press. Were he to have come into contact with the family it would not have been for a state occasion, so if he had flubbed and shaken the hand of a family member he shouldn't or used the wrong form of address with the Queen they should have had more than enough graciousness to overlook it without judgment and it would have happened behind closed doors. That's not even a remote possibility anymore, as it's plain to see he will never have the welcome mat rolled out with the royals, period, because he has shown poor character.

The Middletons are commoners - hence my comment about them "knowing their place". Everybody in a class-system has a place and the system only persists if even everybody, most importantly the largest and most lowly class, voluntarily participates. (You've heard of the French Revolution, I'm sure).

As to the second bolded statement above, me too. I'm all for respect for authority and behaving with dignified good manners but I'll never bow (or curtsy, as it were) to any human being.

The Middletons are commoners - hence my comment about them "knowing their place". Everybody in a class-system has a place and the system only persists if even everybody, most importantly the largest and most lowly class, voluntarily participates. (You've heard of the French Revolution, I'm sure).

As to the second bolded statement above, me too. I'm all for respect for authority and behaving with dignified good manners but I'll never bow (or curtsy, as it were) to any human being.

We began this discussion because you stated that Americans were incapable of understanding a class system. As I said, we are capable of understanding, despite not participating. Someday we might even work our way up to learning about this French Revolution of which you speak. Nah, we're probably incapable.

We began this discussion because you stated that Americans were incapable of understanding a class system. As I said, we are capable of understanding, despite not participating. Someday we might even work our way up to learning about this French Revolution of which you speak. Nah, we're probably incapable.
Let me know if you ever want to role-play a reenactment. I'll be the divinely-anointed queen and you can be the oppressed peasantry that rises up to execute me by guillotine. :rotfl2:Or vice-versa. You call it.

Frankly, I have not been reading or watching anything regarding Meghan’s paternal family since there were headlines that the sister, who appears to be the biggest instigator, said she purposefully plans to exploit the situation and make a living off of it. I don’t want to contribute in any way to their “success”. I feel for Meghan. If the wedding was anything to go by, her mother can handle the changes with grace, so Meghan does have some family in her corner. Even as a happy newlywed, it has to hurt that some of her family has so little consideration for her and how their behavior might affect her. I think it’s horrible that they see her as nothing more than a stepping stone to financial gain, and I believe it’s pure jealousy that’s driving it. I think keeping quiet and not engaging is the best thing Meghan and Harry can do right now.

I think you’re reading something that isn’t there or intended. @ronandannette is proud of who she is but isn’t over the top like some annoying posters :p

I think the “Monarchy” is not caught up in all the drama playing out here in the states with Meghans father and step..to me it’s all trash tv worthy.

Never even heard of her before Harry and thought the media hype of the American actress was just that..a media storyline.

I hope she is happy in her marriage.. and uses her new found platform to help others, ..I think she will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter