The message says you can add more days if there is still admissions left on it and it is before the 14-day expiration window. Im going to take that as a yes to an annual pass. I feel like if they stopped allowing upgrades to an annual pass there would be a more formal notification. But then again...Disney's strengths is not in its communication skills.

The message says you can add more days if there is still admissions left on it and it is before the 14-day expiration window. Im going to take that as a yes to an annual pass. I feel like if they stopped allowing upgrades to an annual pass there would be a more formal notification. But then again...Disney's strengths is not in its communication skills.
You may be right. It is not clear. The first sentence states that tickets cannot be upgraded, which seems to indicate that it can't be upgraded at all. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I sure hope that they can be upgraded.

The difficulty in understanding the exact rules may stem from what appears to be a very unfortunate and imprecise NAME for the current genre of tickets sold by Disney
(the ones being sold as of Oct. 16, 2018.)

Stay tuned.

The difficulty in understanding the exact rules may stem from what appears to be a very unfortunate and imprecise NAME for the current genre of tickets sold by Disney

Stay tuned.

Not confusing at all. :crazy: Considering the different ways they use "theme park tickets" in their own FAQ. Capital letters, new tickets. Lower case, old ones. OMG.

Can I upgrade a theme park ticket that I purchased before Disney Theme Park Tickets was introduced? How about a more recent ticket from a previous visit?

A.

Unfortunately, tickets purchased before Disney Theme Park Tickets were introduced are not able to be upgraded. However, while older tickets cannot be upgraded, if an older ticket does not have an expiration date, the ticket remains valid until all admissions are used.

If it is within 14 days of a Disney Theme Park Ticket's first use and the ticket has remaining admissions, you are able to upgrade the ticket. If it is more than 14 days after first use or if no admissions remain, then a ticket may not be modified or upgraded.

If I go to Disney's website and click on the upgrade policy it states:
Tickets Purchased Before 2005
You cannot upgrade tickets purchased before 2005. However, while older tickets cannot be upgraded, if an older ticket does not have an expiration date, the ticket remains valid until all admissions are used.
If it is within 14 days of a Disney Theme Park Ticket's first use and the ticket has remaining admissions, you are able to upgrade the ticket. If it is more than 14 days after first use or if no admissions remain, then a ticket may not be modified or upgraded

Given the status of Disney's website I have no idea if the verbiage posted by a PP is more or less current then what I quoted.

JMO Guests want to upgrade third party tickets to an AP. Disney could theoretically base the "trade in value" on the retail value of the ticket (bridge the value), what you paid UT or what UT paid Disney.
Bridging the ticket is, in effect, giving the guest a discount on a ticket which isn't sold by authorized resellers. It makes no, logical, sense for Disney to indirectly allow UT to sell discounted AP through a continuation of "bridging" I know that's the way it's worked in the past but a lot has changed.

I tried to upgrade tickets bought through a cancelled COSTCO package on the phone on October 15. Couldn't be done on the phone. I was told they made a note of my request and I
ll be able to do the upgrade when I arrive.

Stay tuned.
That's definitely part of the problem. I noticed that the first paragraph (indicating tickets can't be upgraded) has the ticket name in question without caps. The next paragraph (that says when a ticket may be upgraded has "Disney Theme Park Ticket" with caps, which seems to imply they are referring to the newly named tickets. It is VERY confusing, but I interpret the message to be that any older tickets can't be upgraded. I really hope I'm wrong!!! Staying tuned before I buy MYW tickets...

You cannot upgrade tickets purchased before 2005. However, while older tickets cannot be upgraded, if an older ticket does not have an expiration date, the ticket remains valid until all admissions are used.
If it is within 14 days of a Disney Theme Park Ticket's first use and the ticket has remaining admissions, you are able to upgrade the ticket. If it is more than 14 days after first use or if no admissions remain, then a ticket may not be modified or upgraded

Given the status of Disney's website I have no idea if the verbiage posted by a PP is more or less current then what I quoted.

JMO Guests want to upgrade third party tickets to an AP. Disney could theoretically base the "trade in value" on the retail value of the ticket (bridge the value), what you paid UT or what UT paid Disney.
Bridging the ticket is, in effect, giving the guest a discount on a ticket which isn't sold by authorized resellers. It makes no, logical, sense for Disney to indirectly allow UT to sell discounted AP through a continuation of "bridging" I know that's the way it's worked in the past but a lot has changed.

I tried to upgrade tickets bought through a cancelled COSTCO package on the phone on October 15. Couldn't be done on the phone. I was told they made a note of my request and I

I have no idea either, but Disney has been referring to "Theme Park Ticket" with caps as a post 10/16 ticket, separate from MYW, so that's why I'm reading it the way I did. I hope I'm wrong as I was planning on upgrading them as well.

I completely understand your point, and could understand why Disney would discontinue the "bridging" policy. But the bigger issue is whether or not older tickets can be upgraded at all (without "bridging").

This is still in their Tickets FAQ: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/magic-your-way-ticket-upgrade/

Q.
Can I upgrade theme park tickets after they are purchased?

A.
Yes. If it is within 14 days of a theme park ticket’s first use and the ticket has remaining admissions, you are able to upgrade the ticket. If it is more than 14 days after first use or if no admissions remain, then a ticket may not be modified or upgraded.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or is the upgrade tickets option gone in the app? Or does it only appear when you're onsite?

I spoke to a ticketing supervisor on the evening of 10/16 about upgrading my current 6 day PH to an AP and was told it could still be done. It was purchased from AAA. She told me I would get the gate price on the day I upgrade plus the flex option value towards the cost of the AP. We shall find out Sunday morning.

I spoke to a ticketing supervisor on the evening of 10/16 about upgrading my current 6 day PH to an AP and was told it could still be done. It was purchased from AAA. She told me I would get the gate price on the day I upgrade plus the flex option value towards the cost of the AP. We shall find out Sunday morning.

Definitely come back and report if you think about it. I'm curious!

Best of luck, tribute! Report back.

Good luck! Please let us know what happens.

JMO Guests want to upgrade third party tickets to an AP. Disney could theoretically base the "trade in value" on the retail value of the ticket (bridge the value),
1. what you paid UT
2. or what UT paid Disney.
Bridging the ticket is, in effect, giving the guest a discount on a ticket which isn't sold by authorized resellers.
3. It makes no, logical, sense for Disney to indirectly allow UT to sell discounted AP through a continuation of "bridging" I know that's the way it's worked in the past but a lot has changed.
1. Disney has no way of knowing what a guest paid UT (or other authorized reseller) for a ticket.
(Making this more complex, a guest MIGHT have paid MORE for a ticket than the Disney price... which IS possible to do.)
2. Yes, Disney, of course, does know THAT amount. (But, the GUEST doesn't.)
3. It doesn't matter at all that they do that. Disney has ALREADY ACCEPTED THE "LOSS" in the fact that they were the
entity that sold the original ticket at a discounted price ("loss") to the authorized reseller.
The fact that Disney allows "their own" (direct from Disney) tickets to be upgraded to AP is no more or less a revenue generator than
if they allow a price-bridged value for a "reseller's ticket" to be upgraded to AP.

Regardless, Disney CAN decide to "do something else" anytime they want.

1. Disney has no way of knowing what a guest paid UT (or other authorized reseller) for a ticket.
(Making this more complex, a guest MIGHT have paid MORE for a ticket than the Disney price... which IS possible to do.)
2. Yes, Disney, of course, does know THAT amount. (But, the GUEST doesn't.)
3. It doesn't matter at all that they do that. Disney has ALREADY ACCEPTED THE "LOSS" in the fact that they were the
entity that sold the original ticket at a discounted price ("loss") to the authorized reseller.
The fact that Disney allows "their own" (direct from Disney) tickets to be upgraded to AP is no more or less a revenue generator than
if they allow a price-bridged value for a "reseller's ticket" to be upgraded to AP.

Regardless, Disney CAN decide to "do something else" anytime they want.
Disney has decided to sell some tickets at a "loss", many of the tickets sold by authorized resellers. Disney doesn't take a loss on other tickets, one day tickets for example. Disney doesn't generally sell AP through resellers. Loss isn't intended.

I wonder how long Disney will continue the, probably, unintended, loss the present system offers on AP upgrades.

Beginning of October I bought tickets from UT which will be used as bought in December. The tickets have an expiration date 3/14/19.

I'm not sure buying UT tickets today, under old ticket rules, with the purpose of upgrading to an AP months from now is great strategy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter