• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping Advice from former waitgirl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thought...

Anyone who goes to a sit-down resteraunt without the means of leaving at least a 15% - 18% tip just shouldn't be there. Whether they end up not leaving that tip due to bad service is up to them but I can tell you more than one conversation I have over-heard in resteraunts where one person will tell the other person something like, "Wow, I didn't realize it would cost this much, I only have a couple of bucks left (on what was probably a $75 check), will just have to leave that for the tip."

While it is not the servers right to solicit tips and most resteraunts have strict policies against it (resulting in termination), the flip side of that is, if you cannot afford to leave an appropriate tip, you should not be eating there period.

I could not agree with your sentiment more. However, most restaurant patrons would not go if they did not have enough to cover the tip. Your example does a good job of illustrating how when you are placing your order you need to be mindful of the funds available to you. Do not order the dessert if you need that $6 for the tip, do not get the shrimp cocktail for $12 when the salad for $7 will allow for a tip, do not get the filet mignon when your budget dictates the chicken satay......it boils down to common sense and consideration for the server. Some diners will be inconsiderate in the same way some servers will have a false sense of their worth and skills. There are just as many poor tippers as there are entitlement minded servers. It all evens out in the long run!

:thumbsup2

It does all even out in the end. I have stated this numerous times and so have others. You may have some that tip above and beyond what is the norm.....some will tip less than the norm. An experienced server understands and accepts this.

One more thought...

Anyone who goes to a sit-down resteraunt without the means of leaving at least a 15% - 18% tip just shouldn't be there. Whether they end up not leaving that tip due to bad service is up to them but I can tell you more than one conversation I have over-heard in resteraunts where one person will tell the other person something like, "Wow, I didn't realize it would cost this much, I only have a couple of bucks left (on what was probably a $75 check), will just have to leave that for the tip."

While it is not the servers right to solicit tips and most resteraunts have strict policies against it (resulting in termination), the flip side of that is, if you cannot afford to leave an appropriate tip, you should not be eating there period.

Tips are a given just as a gesture of politeness and not as a god given right to the waiter.
The waiters should turn to there unions and not stiffing the guests ore sneezing on there sandwich

Look at all the complains here. The guests are traded rude impolite and if they don’t' pay the enough waiter will "sneeze" on your sandwich ore maybe piss in your thee???????

Go and find another job, wash cars ore whatever but don't mess with the food.
Maybe you cold even poison people because YOU think they stiffed you?????
What's next on the stiffing list???????????

It does all even out in the end. I have stated this numerous times and so have others. You may have some that tip above and beyond what is the norm.....some will tip less than the norm. An experienced server understands and accepts this.

Yes on most days it evens out in the end..:thumbsup2

Tips are a given just as a gesture of politeness and not as a god given right to the waiter.
The waiters should turn to there unions and not stiffing the guests ore sneezing on there sandwich

Look at all the complains here. The guests are traded rude impolite and if they don’t' pay the enough waiter will "sneeze" on your sandwich ore maybe piss in your thee???????

10 years in the business I have never seen anyone put anything or do anything to someone's food. You may have them go to the back and complain but never do something to someone's food. I think people have watched the show waiting to much. Everything is the same, except messing with peoples food. And yes we do get the rude lady like you see in the movie, the experienced servers know how to handle these types of people. Washing cars no thanks maybe you could take up the hobby..:sad2:

That is me I have been at IHOP for almost 10 years :eek: I make a decent living nothing spectacular but it pays the bills and I love meeting new people. Now will I be serving tables 5 years from now, NO my youngest starts school this fall and hopefully by next summer I will move on. I have 3 classes left and I may go back to school and finish and get my degree but its been a good ride and its been a great place to work, we are like a big family managers and employees. We joke around and we all really care about each other, most of us have been there for a while. It will be very sad when I do leave, but I know I don't want to be serving when I am 40 not that its a bad thing.

The highlighted statements are a big part of why you are good at your job. I always say some aren't suited to this profession. It takes a special quality in a person to have longevity in the restaurant buisness. These are two of the most important.

Let me just start by saying that my husband and I both waited tables in college. I absolutely believe EVERY SINGLE person should do a stint as wait staff AND in retail. Being on the working side of that equation teaches you valuable lessons about how to behave when you are on the "purchasing" side of the equation.

With that said....

Waiting tables is still a SERVICE. Yes, I completely understand that tips form the biggest portion of a wait person's wages. So, if you want to earn good money, you give good service. (If I'm in sales and make commission, I have to work harder/more/do better if I want to make more money). I'm not talking about special treatment ... I'm talking about being polite, competent and doing the best you can given the situation that night. I KNOW when an establishment is busy and I know when you are still doing your best to a great job even when getting slammed OR when you are just using being busy as an excuse to give crappy service. Hello, I waited tables, too.

And a pet peeve ... guaranteed to lose any wait staff a bit OFF their tip ... ask me if I need change back when I pay with cash. That is MY money. I will determine how much of it to leave.

The guests are traded rude impolite and if they don’t' pay the enough waiter will "sneeze" on your sandwich ore maybe piss in your thee???????

I have been in the industry for 15+ years and have never witnessed this type of behavior. Anthony Bourdain wrote about such instances in his book Kitchen Confidential, but I do not think this is something most servers or kitchen staff would do. Good, hard working professionals will not allow this to happen. I stated in another thread about tips and explained how many cities and states will charge someone caught doing this with 1st degree assault....some places consider it a felonious assault.

True professionals will deal with a customer in an appropriate and legal manor.

And a pet peeve ... guaranteed to lose any wait staff a bit OFF their tip ... ask me if I need change back when I pay with cash. That is MY money. I will determine how much of it to leave.

This is my biggest gripe too........I tell servers to keep the change if that is my intention, but if you see me paying a $51 check with a fifty and a twenty, then assume you get to keep the change, you have insured yourself of a lower tip. Many people just say "No, I don't need the change" just to avoid an awkward moment, and servers are betting on that......this is a form of extortion in my opinion. Ok, I feel better with that off my chest!

10 years in the business I have never seen anyone put anything or do anything to someone's food. You may have them go to the back and complain but never do something to someone's food. I think people have watched the show waiting to much. Everything is the same, except messing with peoples food. And yes we do get the rude lady like you see in the movie, the experienced servers know how to handle these types of people. Washing cars no thanks maybe you could take up the hobby..:sad2:

The sneezing part is from someone who worked as a former waiter and she wrote it on the dis boards

I am sorry, but this is a little over-the-top.

In the United States, tips are customary and expected at resteraunts for standard/good service. Pull up as many textbook defintions of the word "tipping" as you like, but it does not change that fact.

If you cannot afford the tip, you cannot afford to eat there...period. Stick to McDonalds.

Most servers in the United States have no union representation at all. I am not sure what it is like in Europe.

As far as the rest of your post, it is really insulting to the hard working servers of this country.

:goodpost:

This is what happens when people take one comment and run with it assigning blame to probably hundreds of thousands of people for the actions of one or two bad apples.

In the United States, tips are customary and expected at resteraunts for standard/good service. Pull up as many textbook defintions of the word "tipping" as you like, but it does not change that fact.

Yes, it's customary in the United States to tip. However, I work hard for my money and I refuse to reward somebody who doesn't want to do their job. I've only "stiffed" somebody once my entire life for blatantly ignoring our table. What's the incentive to work harder for your bonus if you don't do your job?

If you cannot afford the tip, you cannot afford to eat there...period. Stick to McDonalds.

Most servers in the United States have no union representation at all. I am not sure what it is like in Europe.

As far as the rest of your post, it is really insulting to the hard working servers of this country.

The whole tipping problem is something we left behind us in the dark ages.
I still believe in everyone getting a normal fee and not living on charity from the guests.
I don't insult anyone by hoping his work pays enough with a normal income to feed his children ,pay his taxes and go on a vacation.
So tell me what’s wrong with that tough????
That's no communist idea but just normal sense in my country.

O and just a as a reminder we work every day from 6 am untill 10 pm,seven days a week so don't tell me what hard working means.

I believe the poster is referring to the union at Disney. There have been statements as to "sneeze sandwiches" on this thread. It is not unheard of for waitstaff to "add a little something extra" to an undesirable guest's food .It's ashame our society's sense of entitlement has gotten so out of hand.....in the restaurant industry. Sorry, tipping may be customary and expected, but it is still NOT required. It is still...in most places...left to the discretion of the patron. It is a service charge when it is automatically added....NOT a gratuity.

I just have to ask--what's a "thee"?

This entire thread is cracking me up.

I tip a standard 15 -20% depending on the quality of service, the restaurant, and my mood. 30% is waayyy overboard. I am not averse to tipping that much for exceptionally good service, but as a standard? No way.

Everyone knows what is involved in waiting tables. You also know that there is a potential to do a lot of work and get a crappy tip. If a waitress is upset because of added work, then...I would advise that individual to find another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter