Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 questions
1st. TS, does 100% of the tip go to the server or is it shared?

2nd. Tipping CM's (outside of restaurants) for going above and beyond, is it done, ok, or not appropriate?

Thanks!

2 questions

2nd. Tipping CM's (outside of restaurants) for going above and beyond, is it done, ok, or not appropriate?

Thanks!

1) depends on the restaurant. If it has support staff (bartender, server asst etc) then yes, it's shared

2) depends on the type of job. A thank you and a mention to their supervisor is appropriate. Unless it's a tipped position, CM's are not allowed to accept money

1) depends on the restaurant. If it has support staff (bartender, server asst etc) then yes, it's shared

2) depends on the type of job. A thank you and a mention to their supervisor is appropriate. Unless it's a tipped position, CM's are not allowed to accept money

Thank you. Good to know on the 2nd one.

2 questions

Thanks!

Yes, 100% of the tip goes to the server. The server tips out bartenders, bussers, and food runners a percentage of their sales.

I'm on a quick service dining plan, and have a reservation at BOG for breakfast. Is it possible to still tip?

Non-tipped cast members are not allowed to accept tips. If you push it, they'll collect the tip, and the BOG leaders keep the money in an envelope to be used for the restaurant.

2 questions

Thanks!
Tipped positions at WDW are valet parking, food and beverage servers and bell services. All the other positions are paid higher wages.

If you are paying for a restaurant meal with your magic band, how do you include the tip? Or do you need to tip with cash? Wouldn't the magic band just automatically pay the amount on the bill?

It works the same as if you paid by credit card. Your band is scanned, you are given a credit slip, you write in the tip and sign it

If you are paying for a restaurant meal with your magic band, how do you include the tip? Or do you need to tip with cash? Wouldn't the magic band just automatically pay the amount on the bill?
Your magic band us linked to your credit card... So if your on the dining plan, your credits for your meal are used and any tip you add is charged to your cc.
If not on the dining plan the entire amount is charged to your cc.
Hope this clarifies...

Does Disney have a published tiping policy? As a newbie it seems to be such a huge deal, and makes me want to go back to waiting tables for the first time since graduating college.

Meaning is there anywhere that says 18 or 20% gratuity is an actual charge. I am planning our first trip and I waitressed for many years from small cafe to fine dining in Chicago. For parties of a certain number and when printed on the menu in the state of IL we could add the gratuity to the bill but it was always optional and the customer always had the right to pay what was added, pay less or pay more, as it was only a suggestion. Having waitressed I am a great tipper unless the server is really rude or is inappropriate. I am asking if I have the freedom to change the amount when I pay or if it a charged amount. I keep reading you have to have a managers approval to lower it. Why can I not just tell the person taking my money? I am expecting great service but as an American I just do not like being told what to do :) We are going to be a party of 8, so there will be a lot of tips that need to be given. Also I live out of the US and have for many years, tipping is not part of the culture here at all and service lacks because of it, I am a fan of tipping for great service. Some places that cater to tourists are starting to ask for tips by putting out jars with the word for tips on it or adding it to the menus or even right on the check and one place I went to, but they are still not "serving" you, just want more $ because of where you were born. I want to enjoy tipping because we enjoyed our meal and our experience, not because it is required to cancel out the bill. That's all :)

Meaning is there anywhere that says 18 or 20% gratuity is an actual charge. I am planning our first trip and I waitressed for many years from small cafe to fine dining in Chicago. For parties of a certain number and when printed on the menu in the state of IL we could add the gratuity to the bill but it was always optional and the customer always had the right to pay what was added, pay less or pay more, as it was only a suggestion. Having waitressed I am a great tipper unless the server is really rude or is inappropriate. I am asking if I have the freedom to change the amount when I pay or if it a charged amount. I keep reading you have to have a managers approval to lower it. Why can I not just tell the person taking my money? I am expecting great service but as an American I just do not like being told what to do :) We are going to be a party of 8, so there will be a lot of tips that need to be given. Also I live out of the US and have for many years, tipping is not part of the culture here at all and service lacks because of it, I am a fan of tipping for great service. Some places that cater to tourists are starting to ask for tips by putting out jars with the word for tips on it or adding it to the menus or even right on the check and one place I went to, but they are still not "serving" you, just want more $ because of where you were born. I want to enjoy tipping because we enjoyed our meal and our experience, not because it is required to cancel out the bill. That's all :)

For parties of 6 or more there is an automatic gratuity of 18% added to your bill. If during your meal you have an issue with your service, then ask for a manager and allow them to make it right.

Thanks, I looked it up further, the there is a law and it changed in 2013. It seems is has been an issue all over FL with so many international people (and cheap/bad tippers) that most restaurants in the state added the automatic gratuity to the checks. But as of Jan 1,2014 it has to be listed as a service charge if added to the bill , thus not optional but an actual charge. It also has to be credited to the server as their regular wages to the IRS. Here is an article discussing the changes for anyone interested. http://floridarestaurantlaw.blogspot.com/2013/09/tips-automatic-gratuities-service.html

It states gratuity on the bill/ check and goes directly onto the servers paycheck.

Florida law is different than Illinois...
In Florida, if the tip policy is written where in can be read by a guest (is: 18% gratuity added to all checks with parties of 6 or more on the menu or meal check) then it is considered an actual bill and you are obligated to pay it. It is considered (once again in Florida) no different than ordering a $25 steak dinner and then refusing to pay it.
You may INCREASE the amount of the tip, but to lower it you must have a manager's permission.
I hope this makes the automatic gratuity policy clearer for out if state guests in restaurants.

What about housekeeping? Are they a tipped position?

We tipped our housekeeper a few bucks each day (Wilderness Lodge). It's something I do at every hotel I stay at.

Btw, if you want to make a server's day, put zero on the charge slip and tip them in cash :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter