Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you're on the dining plan do you HAVE to tip 18% at the character meals? I'm assuming they scan your bands for the table service credits, you can just tell them you want to tip in cash and leave what you want and not have the tip charged to your band? Also, if we have a reservation and dont make it for whatever reason, do they still take your dining credits or are you just charged the $10 per person no show fee?

When you tip, do you calculate tip on total amount including taxes and alcohol? I always do, but then some people say they tip on amount before alcohol and tax...

So if you're on the dining plan do you HAVE to tip 18% at the character meals? I'm assuming they scan your bands for the table service credits, you can just tell them you want to tip in cash and leave what you want and not have the tip charged to your band? Also, if we have a reservation and dont make it for whatever reason, do they still take your dining credits or are you just charged the $10 per person no show fee?
Parties of 5 or less are free to tip whatever amount they choose.
You will be charged $10 per person fee only if you don't show for a reservation. Your DP credits won't be affected

I'm not sure if these questions are in the guidelines of this thread or not. If not, sorry. I know the tipping thing is very strict here. I'm just curious what others do.

We just got back, and we were curious of something while we were there. Are you supposed to tip at Wolfgang Express? I always thought that QS locations you don't tip (because you do everything yourself for the most part), but we were confused here. We ordered, filled up or drinks, then grabbed a seat. The waiter came over and said he'd get our food, and anything else we needed including refills. He was very efficient, and deserved a tip so we gave him our normal 20% of the bill. He brought our food, brought us multiple refills, brought over dessert (we didn't know we were supposed to grab the brownies ourselves at the beginning), and cleared our dishes. We surely don't mind leaving it and think we should have, but just wondered if there was some type of official policy on it. If they are going to work it as a tipped position, they should just have the waiter take the order, but still keep it QS, so it's a little more clear.

What about BOG lunch? We ate there before we ate at Wolfgang, and didn't leave a tip. Although, thinking back we probably should've left a little something. While they didn't do nearly as much as Wolfgang, they do bring the food and clean up after you. Maybe should've left $1 a person or a 5 for the three of us?

I'm not usually too confused on who it's customary to tip and who it's not, but these two got me.

I'm not sure if these questions are in the guidelines of this thread or not. If not, sorry. I know the tipping thing is very strict here. I'm just curious what others do.

We just got back, and we were curious of something while we were there. Are you supposed to tip at Wolfgang Express? I always thought that QS locations you don't tip (because you do everything yourself for the most part), but we were confused here. We ordered, filled up or drinks, then grabbed a seat. The waiter came over and said he'd get our food, and anything else we needed including refills. He was very efficient, and deserved a tip so we gave him our normal 20% of the bill. He brought our food, brought us multiple refills, brought over dessert (we didn't know we were supposed to grab the brownies ourselves at the beginning), and cleared our dishes. We surely don't mind leaving it and think we should have, but just wondered if there was some type of official policy on it. If they are going to work it as a tipped position, they should just have the waiter take the order, but still keep it QS, so it's a little more clear.

What about BOG lunch? We ate there before we ate at Wolfgang, and didn't leave a tip. Although, thinking back we probably should've left a little something. While they didn't do nearly as much as Wolfgang, they do bring the food and clean up after you. Maybe should've left $1 a person or a 5 for the three of us?

I'm not usually too confused on who it's customary to tip and who it's not, but these two got me.
I'm not sure either. We leave a tip at WPE, but not 20%, just a few dollars.

Good questions... I, as well, thought you weren't supposed to tip at CS locations. In fact I read somewhere that if they DO receive a tip it goes to the "house" not to the waiters.
Anybody, anybody?!? Bueller???

Last edited:

This is a very good question... do we tip at QS? I'm planning to do mostly QS with only 2 TS but if tipping is required for QS than I'll have to budget more. Does anyone know?

This is a very good question... do we tip at QS? I'm planning to do mostly QS with only 2 TS but if tipping is required for QS than I'll have to budget more. Does anyone know?
It is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that QS locations not only are not tipped, but if you do tip the tip does not go to the wait staff, but to some kind of general "restaurant fund".

We are always a party greater than 6 so the automatic gratuity of 18% should be added. But on the bottom of the receipt I have noticed that suggested amounts are still listed. I think some times I have been careless and tipped twice because I have written on the tip line and charged to my magic band and the tip may have already been added to my total.

So when you are a party greater than 6, is the gratuity added to the total when you receive the check or are they expecting you to write it in on the tip line or is the tip line just if you want to add more than the standard 18%?

I know you would think I would be more careful with my $$ but after wrangling 12 people, scooters and strollers, potty breaks, whiny kids, spilled drinks and the like at the end of the meal Im just ready to head for the door.

We are always a party greater than 6 so the automatic gratuity of 18% should be added. But on the bottom of the receipt I have noticed that suggested amounts are still listed. I think some times I have been careless and tipped twice because I have written on the tip line and charged to my magic band and the tip may have already been added to my total.

So when you are a party greater than 6, is the gratuity added to the total when you receive the check or are they expecting you to write it in on the tip line or is the tip line just if you want to add more than the standard 18%?

I know you would think I would be more careful with my $$ but after wrangling 12 people, scooters and strollers, potty breaks, whiny kids, spilled drinks and the like at the end of the meal Im just ready to head for the door.
To be honest, I haven't noticed exactly what you're saying and I could definately see where double tipping could occur! I guess you just will have to chalk it up to experience and make sure you're aware when you go again!
But I definitely can see why you might get distracted!!!

I am confused about BOG lunch also. It is QS but more service involved....I don't have a problem tipping but don't want it to go to a house fund as posted earlier....any previous BOG lunch diners? TIA

I am confused about BOG lunch also. It is QS but more service involved....I don't have a problem tipping but don't want it to go to a house fund as posted earlier....any previous BOG lunch diners? TIA
You don't need to tip at BOG. If you do, it will go into a house fund.

Since BOG servers aren't tipped, they make at least minimum wage - not the ~$3 per hour that full service servers make.

I don't know what you are *supposed* to do, but to avoid confusion, I always write "Additional Tip" next to the tip line and then put in the amount over the 18% that I want to add. When I've checked my charges later, they've always gotten it right. Better to make things as clear as possible, IMHO.

It it is listed in the total.

image.jpg

just a reminder, personal tipping habits is not open for discussion. if you are a party of 6 or more, regardless of age, there is an automatic gratuity added of 18%. if you are not comfortable with that, please pick a different dining option for your family. Disney does not distinguish between different types of TS. As a resort destination, that is their prerogative. And yours to choose to dine elsewhere :)

@tinkerbell1991 ...
You're all good...
If I tip in cash, I put either "cash" or "zero" on the tip line and hand my server (actually this is DH's job) the cash.
If we tip using our cc connected to our MB we just put in the amount we wish to tip on the tip line and add up the total.
For years I used to save $1 and $5 bills in a vase to take on vacation to hand out cash tips, it seemed painless. But now I rarely ever have cash so we stop at the bank for cash for mousekeeping and put all our restaurant tips on our cc.
Hope all this info helps, have a magical trip!

@tinkerbell1991 ...
You're all good...
If I tip in cash, I put either "cash" or "zero" on the tip line and hand my server (actually this is DH's job) the cash.
If we tip using our cc connected to our MB we just put in the amount we wish to tip on the tip line and add up the total.
For years I used to save $1 and $5 bills in a vase to take on vacation to hand out cash tips, it seemed painless. But now I rarely ever have cash so we stop at the bank for cash for mousekeeping and put all our restaurant tips on our cc.
Hope all this info helps, have a magical trip!

Thank you so much, it's really helpful and appreciated.

Can I ask you one last thing as seen as you've used your magic band for paying, did you do it while on the dining plan?

If so, do you just mention it when they bring the total bill or do you mention that you're paying via the ddp before you eat?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter