Tips for enjoying 3 day cruises

Get on the boat early.
Pack very lightly so you aren't wasting time un/packing.
Skip Nassau (if you have been before, have no interest in excursions there). DONT skip Nassau if you need a beach and there looks like bad weather for Castaway Cay.
Consider skipping main dining for Palo on night 1, Cabanas Night 2, Main dining Night 3. (This gives you a less chaotic first night, a dine on your time second night, and a chance to meet your servers before breakfast the last morning.
Pre-book things for Castaway Cay (if you would normally use a float, snorkel, bike). The stand by lines are generally a bit longer.
Do not participate in Fish Extender groups unless you just really enjoy them.
Know what events are must do for your group.

You'll have fun no doubt.

Great advice!!!! Definitely try to get the earliest time to get on the ship as possible. Also consider staying on the ship when it docks at Nassau.

Hi everyone! It's only my second post ever on a forum, so excuse my naivtiy. I am happy I came across this thread as my family and I are taking our first cruise ever on 1/18/2019, which happens to be a 3 night cruise. All this information is great to know! I didn't realize a 3 night would feel so short, with that being said, if none of us have ever been to Nassua before, should we skip it and hang out on the ship or is it worth going to? I was thinking of doing Atlantis, but maybe we need to save this for a separate trip? Thanks!

My advice is that Disney Cruise Line far exceeds Atlantis....save your money and time and effort and stay on the ship! We just got off briefly to go to the market and got back on withing an hour or so and had lunch on the boat in one of the nice dining rooms and enjoyed quiet time in the hot tub

Hi everyone! It's only my second post ever on a forum, so excuse my naivtiy. I am happy I came across this thread as my family and I are taking our first cruise ever on 1/18/2019, which happens to be a 3 night cruise. All this information is great to know! I didn't realize a 3 night would feel so short, with that being said, if none of us have ever been to Nassua before, should we skip it and hang out on the ship or is it worth going to? I was thinking of doing Atlantis, but maybe we need to save this for a separate trip? Thanks![/QUOT:welcome: to the Dis! there are plenty of opinions on Nassau, and for those of us who have been there plenty, we choose to skip it. but if you think you might regret not checking it out, by all means, go for it. Atlantis is beautiful, although a bit expensive. there's other shore excursions as well. if you've been to other caribbean islands then you might want to stay and enjoy the ship. if you choose to explore Nassau, just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. have a great time!!

My advice is that Disney Cruise Line far exceeds Atlantis....save your money and time and effort and stay on the ship! We just got off briefly to go to the market and got back on withing an hour or so and had lunch on the boat in one of the nice dining rooms and enjoyed quiet time in the hot tub

For a first time cruiser on a 3 day, I certainly agree with this advice. The ship has SOoooo much to offer, and most at no extra cost to you (since your cruise is already paid!). :-)

Hi everyone! It's only my second post ever on a forum, so excuse my naivtiy. I am happy I came across this thread as my family and I are taking our first cruise ever on 1/18/2019, which happens to be a 3 night cruise. All this information is great to know! I didn't realize a 3 night would feel so short, with that being said, if none of us have ever been to Nassua before, should we skip it and hang out on the ship or is it worth going to? I was thinking of doing Atlantis, but maybe we need to save this for a separate trip? Thanks!

Welcome to the Disboards DCL forum!! :flower:

First off, a 3 day Disney cruise is still a Disney cruise! And you will find far more to do than you can fit in, so you just have to plan cruise #2! :cutie: If you've never been on a cruise, a 3 day is a perfect place to start. I think a lot of us did a shorter cruise for our first cruise. :sail:

Welcome! A 3-day cruise is closer to being 2-1/2 days. That's why you see so many people recommend you get the earliest possible port arrival time (which means you do your online check-in on the first day it is available to you). The early PAT means you'll be dealing with masses of people at the cruise terminal and is the reason experienced cruisers prefer to arrive 1:00 or later. We always go for early arrival because we always stay in a hotel close to the port and are so excited we wake at the crack of dawn. Always. If you get to the terminal as soon as it opens you can check-in, see the ship model, maybe have some character interactions, and sign-up for the kids clubs (I assume that has not changed). Make sure you grab seats before they all get taken. At that point, I've packed juice, snacks and electronics to occupy kids while DH and I soak up the excitement and wait for our time to board.

You may spend several hours onboard before your cabin is available and your luggage will arrive anytime between 1:00-5:00, sometimes later. That helps you put the comments about carry-ons in perspective. We carry on the limit for beer/wine, bathing suits, and either wear or have something halfway decent for the first dinner in case our luggage is late. That works for us because I don't do the pools or slides the first day and am ok to babysit the rolling bag.

For your first cruise, plan to eat in the main dining room (MDR), with the possibility of trying to book a night at Palo if it seems important to you. When we have kids we eat together in the MDR because they love the experience so much. And with 3 nights that means you experience each dining room once.

For us, the ship is our destination. I would make a short walk out into Nassau (maybe to restock the wine) and then return to the ship. Disney cruises come with a premium cost. I would soak in the Disney experience this time. If you want to return to Atlantis you can take another Disney cruise or choose a less expensive line where you feel comfortable splurging on a 1st class experience at Atlantis.

Have fun planning!

If there is a show you’ve already seen a not a must do, that is our favorite times in the pools as they are completely empty with everyone else at dinner/show. (We normally babe late dining)

One thing I would add about Nassau... every single Bahamas/Caribbean cruise we have EVER taken has ported in Nassau. There are some neat things to do there, for sure. We did a Nassau excursion on our first Disney cruise which was also a 3-day cruise. And we came off the ship having not experienced so many things that were available. Hindsight of having been hooked to a dock in Nassau more times than I care since that first cruise 20 years ago is what leads me to say to skip Nassau this first time around. I hope that helps.

All of this is super helpful!! Thank you all. From researching, it looks like since this is my first cruise I’ll be able to check in 75 days prior to leaving? Does this mean I will have an advantage to picking an early check in? Sorry if I don’t know all their right terminology. Still working on it.

All of this is super helpful!! Thank you all. From researching, it looks like since this is my first cruise I’ll be able to check in 75 days prior to leaving? Does this mean I will have an advantage to picking an early check in? Sorry if I don’t know all their right terminology. Still working on it.

You're not really selecting a check-in time. When you check-in online, at the end of the process, you will be able to select a “port arrival time”, that most people here call the “PAT”.

Once at the port, you will be able to enter the terminal once past your PAT. You will then be able to check-in, and will be given a “boarding number”. Note that if you arrive earlier than your PAT, you will sometimes be allowed to enter the terminal anyway (if it is not too crowded), but that will not give you a lower boarding number.

After that, they will call boarding number one by one. When they call yours, you will be able to finally embark, and use the facilities until your room is finally ready!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter