Tips for trip with a two year old?

wonderfuller

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking our just turned two year old Feb 6-8th for her first trip. I've been many times and am more or less a Disneyland expert--for everything that doesn't involve small children (lol). We will have three of her grandparents with us also (so we will still be able to trade off so all members of the party can do the bigger rides, and my husband and I plan to go back to the parks each night after she goes to bed). We will be sticking to her nap (12-2) and bedtimes (6:30-6:30). We will have a stroller and are staying at the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance. We will have 3 day hoppers (so one magic morning) and probably will get max passes for at least my husband and me.

Any tips from people experienced with taking kids this age range? Favorite attractions? Favorite places to let a two year old stretch their legs? Things to make life easier in line with a two year old? Food tips? I'm really bummed Bugs Land doesn't exist anymore as I think she'd really enjoy that....

We plan to use Lansky's car service from John Wayne since we have a big group and so that we don't have to bring a carseat.

Also, we haven't been since SWGE opened and my husband is a HUGE Star Wars fan. I'd appreciate any tips for that, too, although I know nobody knows about how Rise of the Resistance will affect things there...

Thanks so much!

The usuals like It’s a Small World will be good. Pirates worked for our kid, who didn’t mind the drops.

How the kiddies handle the dark rides varies. You might try one and see if it’s worth trying any others.

In my experience kids will end up napping in their strollers, so be flexible.

We went the first time when our 2 youngest (we have 4) were 18 months and just turned 3.
*We took our monkey leash and used it on both of them throughout the day. That way they can walk and you don't have to worry about losing them in the crowd.
*We didn't really follow their sleep schedules, like we would at home, but both my younger two are so use to noise and chaos they even napped on us in line!
*A stroller is a must with extra set of clothes, diapers/wipes, a few toys you are willing to lose, sippy cup (is she uses one), bib, soother (and a spare, if she uses one), blanket (we used this when our kids got cold or to block the sun so they could nap in the stroller.
*My kids have always loved watching the parades.
*My youngest hated and I mean HATED characters until he was 4.
*None of my kids ever had a problem with any of the rides (dark, drops, etc)
*We always ate snacks in line as it helped pass the time.

Have a Magical Time!

Many people will let their kids stretch their legs anywhere. That, in my humble opinion is not safe. I would suggest in DL - Toon Town, in DCA Animation Building, and just outside the gates, the picnic area. Early in the morning when there isn't as many people in the park(s), it is easier to see little ones darting around, as the day goes on, however, they get lost in the crowds and someone gets hurt. Either the child getting knocked down, or a person knocking another person aside or down to avoid the child.
Wishing you a fun trip.

Be prepared to be unprepared. Kids vary so much in how they do at DLR that it's impossible to be ready for how they will react. I have 5 kids and every one of them was so different as toddlers that we had a rule after the first 2 that we didn't take them until they were age 4. I'm not saying that to put you off, just that I was too tired to want to deal with an unhappy toddler. But I now have a 3-year-old grandson and I've gone with him and my daughter at age *almost* 2 and *almost* 3. At age 2, he refused to ride in a stroller, was afraid of most of the rides and characters, but loved the train, the parade, most of the gentle rides (that weren't dark) and the atmosphere. At age 3, he was still afraid of the dark rides but LOVED most of the rides that he was old enough to ride. Each kid is very different so just be aware that your 2-year-old may not be as into Disneyland as you think, but you have such a great setup with various family members to step in and help that it should be tons of fun. My daughter was tired out the first year but my grandson was very, very dependent on her and with no siblings, was used to constant attention.

I got my first annual pass and started taking my older son on his second birthday. That year was so magical, watching him experience Disney for the first time. He was wary of characters at first but warmed up after about 6 months. He loved all the rides. Nothing scared him. Loved the parades, performers, the band, the ducks! Biggest hits were Tiki Room, Small World, all of Fantasyland, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Light Year, Little Mermaid, Toy Story Midway Mania and Monsters Inc. Also the Disney Junior Dance Party!

My biggest tips are:

1. Know where the two Baby Care Centers are and use them for diaper changing, little potties for potty training, nursing, feeding, buying baby supplies. The one in DL is on Main Street Bear First Aid and the one in DCA is near Ghirardelli’s.

2. Go at your toddlers pace. Adapt to what they can do... don’t force them to go along with what you want to do if it’s not working for him. Don’t try to do too much. Have reasonable expectations.

3. Bring LOTS of snacks! Healthy snacks like fruit, cheese, veggies, whole grain crackers... But also make sure your toddler eats real meals throughout the day, doesn’t just snack all day. And try to limit sugary treats... they are fun and great in moderation but lots of snacks and sugar and not enough real healthy food is a one-way ticket to major meltdowns.

4. Take a break at the hotel if your child needs a nap. My first child never napped in the stroller, especially at Disney. My second one does nap in the stroller though.

5. Bring an extra change of clothes for the child and you! Two-year-olds are super messy and accident prone! Bring zip locks to put dirty clothes in.

6. Enjoy the little moments and have fun! seeing Disney through your child’s eyes is everything!

With toddlers on vacation in general, I would not count on the nap going the same way as home. My kids always napped--but never on vacation and one trip my daughter decided she should crawl out of the pack n play and never sleep in it again! So, consider stroller naps...or curling up and sleeping on grandpas chest on a bench...or however it works out. Bring snacks for sure. My kids are happy watching YouTube kids on my phone when they're bored, but not sure if you want to allow screens yet. But with 3 grandparents to indulge her, you should do pretty well.

If they still nap as you are leaving the hotel each morning call and ask if they can make up your room early. That way if you do have the need to go back to your room for a nap hopefully it will have already been made up. Last thing you want is a really tired little one wanting their crib/pack and play and you have to wait for the room to be made up. Though at 2yo of course they can usually sleep in their stroller you just never know at places like Disney where they may be stimulated more then usual.

In addition to knowing the location of the two Baby Care Centers, also know the location of First Aid in both parks (in DL: off Main Street, at the end of the cul de sac by the Plaza Inn and the Little Red Wagon; in DCA: on the right, next to Chamber of Commerce). In an emergency of any kind (for you or your little one), don't waste time trying to find a map or a CM, just go right to First Aid. All CMs there are RNs and are super nice and friendly. You can get all kinds of help there.

You don’t mention Rider Switch specifically, and you’ll want to be familiar with it. We only used it a little when we went, but when we did it it saved us hours in line.

Make sure you have a plan for what each group of people staying with the 2 year old while the other is riding. Typically the first ride of the rider switch takes a lot longer than the second.

Our DD first trip was when she was two. Some things we did that made the trip great were
1. I showed DD all the different rides from the DL website and then she told me what looked fun and we looked those up on you tube so she could see if it was "scary" or not. Lucky for me she wasn't afraid of pirates so that was our first ride. But we went and she had her list of rides and attractions she was excited to see. Donald Ducks boat was at the top of the list haha.

2. Take breaks and dont be in a hurry. This is hard for me because I am a go go go person at DL but we tried to slow down and go more at DDs pace. we also stayed near by so when it was nap time we went back to the room and came back at night after she was awake from her nap.

3. Bring snacks and water to reduce fits when the kiddo is hungry.

Be prepared for your kiddo to fall in love with the unexpected. Our DD fell in love with the carousel in fantasyland and also WTP ride. We rode those over and over and she had a blast.

We spent a lot of time in Toon town also to let her just play and do her thing.

You have gotten wonderful advice! Baby centers are so helpful. You don't realize how loud the parks can be until you go to a quiet baby center. They also sell baby items in case you need something.

Taking snacks is a lifesaver!

Our kids never napped all that well at the parks or back at the hotel. They had FOMO. Eventually they would just pass out in the stroller. Every kid is different, and you know yours best.

Tom Sawyers island is a great place to run around and get some energy out. At 2, my kids always loved the treasure area.

For attractions, we always talk positive about how much fun the ride will be and how they are a big kid to ride it, etc. We never mention the word "scary" ever.

Also, my kids were totally scared of the characters until they were about 6-7. I didn't think they would be, but they were!

I think the most important thing I had to remind myself when going to the parks with little ones, is that you won't get as much done as before. But watching your kids at DL is the BEST. Take lots of photos and have a wonderful trip!

My other tip is if you use a carrier at home and your child likes it bring it with you to the park. I had an ergo360 when my little guy was 2 and it was GREAT for watching parades and fireworks. He could face out and see what was happening from up higher. We ended up not taking the stroller into the park in the evenings after nap (usually when its the most crowded) we would load up the little guy in the ergo and off we would go. It made navigating the busy areas so much easier.

We utilized amazon now to send us all sorts of supplies to our hotel (wipes, diapers, lotion, snacks etc).

Our daughter loved many of the rides (teacups, alice in wonderland, carasol, Pirates etc). She was also a trooper and stayed awake much of the night, and was totally full of energy.

This is our daughter around 9pm walking from inside Disney to our Hotel on Harbor

Thank you all so much for your tips!! They are so helpful. I didn't realize the baby centers might be useful for a toddler too! And that's brilliant to ask the hotel to make up your room in the morning, we are always terrified that the room will be being made up during naptime. Also, great suggestions to bring the ergo and to order supplies to send to the hotel.

I am usually that person who prints out a schedule of exactly when we are doing what rides, but I know that this trip will be completely different. We'll go at the two year old's pace even if that means riding small world for hours, or even just running up and down some random set of stairs somewhere (altho this is the benefit of bringing grandparents too!). :p

I just had one follow up, a lot of your tips focus on DL, but does anybody have specific tips for DCA attractions or areas that were favorites among their two year olds? I love heading over to DCA when it's too crowded at DL but most of the attractions don't seem very toddler friendly (other than Little Mermaid and Monsters inc?).

Also, random q, but do you think we're going to need sunscreen in February? I'll bring some, just in case, but it's such a pain to put on her...

I just had one follow up, a lot of your tips focus on DL, but does anybody have specific tips for DCA attractions or areas that were favorites among their two year olds? I love heading over to DCA when it's too crowded at DL but most of the attractions don't seem very toddler friendly (other than Little Mermaid and Monsters inc?).

Also, random q, but do you think we're going to need sunscreen in February? I'll bring some, just in case, but it's such a pain to put on her...
My son was almost 2 when Cars Land opened. He LOVED just walking around Cars Land and taking in all the sights. Pretty sure he could ride Luigi's and Maters at that age too. He also enjoyed Toy Story Midway Mania. I just made sure to put my arm around him when the cars move because they move so fast! Redwood Creek is fun to walk around too. We sat there while our kids played on our last trip in December and there were a lot of toddlers running around. I have not been up in the rope/net area in a long time....but I think if you guys are with your daughter, that would be fun for her to check out and get some energy out too.

I would for sure wear sunscreen no matter what. We wear it every day. My youngest is a red head and we use at minimum, SPF 30 and bring a hat too. =)

Have a wonderful trip!

Thank you all so much for your tips!! They are so helpful. I didn't realize the baby centers might be useful for a toddler too! And that's brilliant to ask the hotel to make up your room in the morning, we are always terrified that the room will be being made up during naptime. Also, great suggestions to bring the ergo and to order supplies to send to the hotel.

I am usually that person who prints out a schedule of exactly when we are doing what rides, but I know that this trip will be completely different. We'll go at the two year old's pace even if that means riding small world for hours, or even just running up and down some random set of stairs somewhere (altho this is the benefit of bringing grandparents too!). :p

Yes you will want to bring sunscreen... the cloudy days are when we tend to get sunburned because we forget to put it on.
For DCA, we loved Toy Story (GET A FASTPASS), Mater, Luigi, the disney jr dance party, Philharmagic, just sitting in the animation building and watching the movie clips, Turtle Talk with Crush. The "Rock Slides" at the redwood creek area are great for getting some walking/sliding time in.

You always need sunscreen in California! And depending on the luck of the draw it could be cool or hot so plan accordingly.

In DCA for that age we like:

Disney Junior Dance Party
Philharmagic
Little Mermaid
Monsters Inc
Toy Story Midway Mania
Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
Luigi and Mater rides in Carsland (if tall enough)
Pixar Pal Around (Ferris wheel)
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail area
Turtle Talk with Crush
Jessie’s carousel

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things... we love DCA!

edited to add the carousel

Last edited:
Oooh, I completely forgot about Mater and Luigi. I'm pretty sure she will LOVE those. Hope she's tall enough! Thank you all!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter