To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

"One of the best kids I've ever worked with."
That's so awesome!! Go Gigi!

I just tried side planks with a leg lift and that's a whole lot of NOPE. I could barely do one and I was falling over. And I have been doing planks pretty consistently for the past month. LOL.

For those looking for some fun planks variations, I’d recommend using a yoga ball and doing a sawing motion or stir the pots... then do your old routine just to make sure your abs are crying!

Late to the party trying to get acclimated to life again after SWDS.

Congrats G!

Happy belated birthday and that bow tie gift was awesome!

That's so awesome!! Go Gigi!

I just tried side planks with a leg lift and that's a whole lot of NOPE. I could barely do one and I was falling over. And I have been doing planks pretty consistently for the past month. LOL.

Woot Woot G!

I'm with you there.

For those looking for some fun planks variations, I’d recommend using a yoga ball and doing a sawing motion or stir the pots... then do your old routine just to make sure your abs are crying!

HAHAHA..... let's wait until I can actually lift my leg before I take it even another step forward...

Late to the party trying to get acclimated to life again after SWDS.

Congrats G!

Happy belated birthday and that bow tie gift was awesome!

Thanks!

A day late and a dollar short, but Happy Birthday!

Thanks!

Plan #153
Name: Kevin
Race/Distance: 15K
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 13
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 6
# of Hard Days (per week): 1-3 depending on week
Peak Week Duration: 5.5 hours
Peak Week Mileage: 35 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 1:58:10
Peak Single Run Mileage: 13.15
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): While my goal race was the 15K in February (2/17), I also had a goal of breaking 2 hours for the half which I did in March (3/3). I crushed the 15K run in February getting a PR in the 15K and the 10K. In March I finally broke 2 hours for the half by nearly 2 minutes getting a new PR.
Expectations Going into it: Felt very good and strong. My pace continued to improve with lower levels of effort.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Very Closely
Testimonial: This was the first time I had a training plan developed by someone else and the first time I had speed runs worked into my training. I continue to see improvement in my speed and stamina and am ready to take the next step and continue improving. Conditions for the 15K in April were horrible and the race was cut short due to lightning so ended up running a 10k. I also got a PR on the Dark Side Challenge cutting 1.5 minutes off of my previous time in 2016.

G had a great audition. Because of a confidentiality agreement, I really can't say anything. But hopefully the product goes live in August. They may call us back for a video based setup because they thought G was pure gold.

We also officially signed the papers to put our house on the market.

A good day all around.... except I was stung by a wasp on my foot.... figures it happens on the first day back to training...

Belated happy birthday!

Wow, exciting day for the DopeyBadger family! Sorry about the wasp sting, though ... that's a bummer.

Also, to dig up yesterday's (Sunday's?) topic ... I was a little into Pilates for a little bit and I used to do some side-plank leg-lift type stuff, and you get much better at it with time. (Although really ... I liked the regular side leg lifts with no plank much better. And it's been so long that I don't think I could do either one right now.)

We did these side planks today at Orangetheory where you are in side plank position and you extend your top arm over your head and then do a crunch with that top arm and leg. I had to kickstand with my bottom leg, I can't even hold myself in a side plank never mind hold myself in a side plank AND try and do a crunch at the same time. :D

We did these side planks today at Orangetheory where you are in side plank position and you extend your top arm over your head and then do a crunch with that top arm and leg. I had to kickstand with my bottom leg, I can't even hold myself in a side plank never mind hold myself in a side plank AND try and do a crunch at the same time. :D

Good Lord... Looks like I should appreciate what seems to be a very elementary core routine that I'm following. No way I'm ready for any of these scary variations you guys are bringing up.

Plan #153
Name: Kevin
Race/Distance: 15K
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 13
Days per Week: 6
# of Hard Days (per week): 1-3 depending on week
Peak Week Duration: 5.5 hours
Peak Week Mileage: 35 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 1:58:10
Peak Single Run Mileage: 13.15
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): While my goal race was the 15K in February (2/17), I also had a goal of breaking 2 hours for the half which I did in March (3/3). I crushed the 15K run in February getting a PR in the 15K and the 10K. In March I finally broke 2 hours for the half by nearly 2 minutes getting a new PR.
Expectations Going into it: Felt very good and strong. My pace continued to improve with lower levels of effort.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Very Closely
Testimonial: This was the first time I had a training plan developed by someone else and the first time I had speed runs worked into my training. I continue to see improvement in my speed and stamina and am ready to take the next step and continue improving. Conditions for the 15K in April were horrible and the race was cut short due to lightning so ended up running a 10k. I also got a PR on the Dark Side Challenge cutting 1.5 minutes off of my previous time in 2016.
Congrats on the PRs Kevin!!

:cool1:

Plan #152

Name: Jim Tancredi
Race/Distance: Coastal Delaware Running Festival/26.2 miles
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 13 weeks
Days per Week: 5
# of Hard Days (per week): 2
Peak Week Duration: 07:27:57
Peak Week Mileage: 37.5
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:29:24
Peak Single Run Mileage: 12 miles
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 26.2 miles @ 06:29:49, Walt Disney World Marathon, January 7, 2018
Expectations Going into it: 06:30:00 - a completely lucky projection that I grabbed out of thin air
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: To the "T" except for 4 training days in week 2 when I was diagnosed with the flu.

Testimonial: After completing the Disney Marathon in January, 2018 in 6:29:48, I was encouraged by the simple fact, that I was able to finish the race. I was just coming off a 70 pound weight loss (actually 80 pounds but I gained 10 pounds training for the marathon) and had no idea what my body would be capable of. Disney was my first marathon, and it turned out my body, as well as my will and determination, made me much more capable than I thought.

I used the Intermediate 2, Hal Higdon plan, that incorporated (3) 20 mile long runs in the 6 weeks preceding the actual marathon. It turned out those 20 mile runs were taking me about 5 hours to complete, and that 5 hours was destroying my body. It was taking longer and longer to recover from each run, and on the 3rd, and final, 20 mile run, I ended up with tibialis tendonitis that cost me essentially the final two weeks of my training. I worked with a physical therapist to get as ready as possible for the marathon, and was fortunately able to work out the tendonitis to get me thru the race. I tell you this long story because any marathon training plan that incorporated multiple long (very long runs) is probably not the right plan for either a beginner/1st timer, or maybe even an intermediate marathoner.

While I was bouncing around the Disboards after the 2018 marathon, I ran across an individual who had just completed the same marathon, and bettered her time by 38 minutes using a "cumulative fatigue" plan structured by a board member named Dopery Badger (Billy). From the moment I had finished the Disney marathon, I planned to run another to try to better my time. I contacted Billy and asked if he would structure a plan for me for a marathon here in Delaware known as the Coastal Delaware Marathon that took place on April, 22, 2018. He agreed, took some statistical info from some of my other running events, and structured a plan for e for this Coastal Delaware event.

The training schedule incorporated a substantially less amount of overall mileage and training event duration, and left me feeling relatively fresh when raceday arrived. I'm 53 years old, and my body just doesn't respond the way it used to when I was 23, but Billy's plan kept maximum duration for the long runs at less than 2:30:00, and that limit helped mitigate the risk of overuse injury. Again, it left me feeling stronger, having more endurance, and in many ways, confident that I was in a better position to complete my goal of shaving substantial time off my my next marathon.
In addition to the training schedule in terms of physical running, Billy offered his expertise at times on the effects of proper nutrition and hydration, on a runner's results. He recommended a few different ways to approach pre and mid-race nutrition and hydration, and I applied one that seemed most practical.

Raceday has come and gone, and I finished the Coastal Delaware Marathon approximately 30 minutes fast than Disney. That's a win, right? Well, not quite. That 30 minute reduction should have been at least a 1 hour reduction, but I nearly bonked at Mile 23 because there was a large gap in water stops between Mile 17 and 20. I felt myself getting thirsty, and I had to slow my pace down for fear that I'd pass the point of no return, and have to drop out. I was able to get myself to the stop at Mile 20 at a slower pace, and got the fluids I needed, but didn't notice a difference for another 2 miles or so. At that point, I was able to ramp my pace back up close to race pace and finished decently. Had I not suffered the hydration hiccup, I could have potentially finished at 5:30:00, maybe better. That was operator and race manager error, not Billy's.

Billy's plan had me set up to succeed, and a few things outside of his control came together to throw a bit of a wrench into the motor. Still, I bettered my time by 30 minutes, and am already planning my next marathon at the end of the year or just after the first of the year. Next time I won't screw it up, and I'm predicting I'll finish in 5:30:00, or better.

Billy applies a great blend of science, experience, and feedback when structuring a plan, and whatever that formula consists of, its a winner. Billy's a true professional, and I honestly believe that the plan he structured for me, was at least as good as, and most likely better, than any I could have purchased over the internet on any of the web-based coaching sites. One thing is for sure. Billy's plan is personalized and I can't put a value on personalization. If you're truly committed to running a marathon, or bettering your time from a previous marathon, work with Billy, and he'll have you as prepared as he can to accomplish that goal.

Well so much for a triumphant return to running. This wasp sting has made my foot swell up. Pretty clear it's going to be a few days of no running before I can get back out there again. At least I got one run in...

Heal quickly!!! Stay positive!!! Mutter angrily at all insects!!!

I forgot to mention in my own recap that I got a splinter on the bottom of my heal the day before my half last weekend. I was so mad an annoyed. Luckily I only felt it when walking and not while doing my last easy run. Probably because of how my foot falls vs walking. It feels fine now.
I'd light a prayer candle for you, bug maybe a citronella candle would be more appropriate!!!

Ouch! Hope it heals (heels?) up quickly!

Thanks!

Yikes! I hope it heals soon!

Thanks!

Heal quickly!!! Stay positive!!! Mutter angrily at all insects!!!

I forgot to mention in my own recap that I got a splinter on the bottom of my heal the day before my half last weekend. I was so mad an annoyed. Luckily I only felt it when walking and not while doing my last easy run. Probably because of how my foot falls vs walking. It feels fine now.
I'd light a prayer candle for you, bug maybe a citronella candle would be more appropriate!!!

Thanks! Lots of under breath conversations with them for sure!

Oh man, isn't that like a runner's worse nightmare. Have something like a splinter on the day before. Seemed to pull through swimmingly though.

Oh man, isn't that like a runner's worse nightmare. Have something like a splinter on the day before. Seemed to pull through swimmingly though.

It was a non-factor, so much so that I forgot to recap about it. Just dancing barefoot on my hardwood floors in my living room and boom, OUCH, drop to the floor. I was worried until my training run...just glad it wasn't up higher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter