To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

It was a non-factor, so much so that I forgot to recap about it. Just dancing barefoot on my hardwood floors in my living room and boom, OUCH, drop to the floor. I was worried until my training run...just glad it wasn't up higher.

Thank goodness. Knowing me I would have been a nervous wreck.

Ouch. W T F. Stupid wasp. Hope it heals soon!

Thanks! No such luck so far. Time to go kill some wasps in revenge!

Hi @DopeyBadger! I’m just catching up so I wanted to chime in on some of the recent discussion in here. Particularly concerning your training plans. I agree with everyone else and think it’s completely understandable that you would be looking towards compensation for your coaching and plan writing. The information you provide and the lengths you go to for everyone here are above and beyond what I would expect from someone doing it for free. I can’t imagine how much time you must be devoting to it. I’m still interested in your help for the Lakefront Marathon, so I’ll probably be in touch through PM.

In terms of other recent things you’ve shared, congrats to Gigi on landing the audition role and good luck with building a new house! And I hope the wasp sting heals quickly. Ouch!

Ouch! Wasp stings are the worst.

We have built two houses so if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Hi @DopeyBadger! I’m just catching up so I wanted to chime in on some of the recent discussion in here. Particularly concerning your training plans. I agree with everyone else and think it’s completely understandable that you would be looking towards compensation for your coaching and plan writing. The information you provide and the lengths you go to for everyone here are above and beyond what I would expect from someone doing it for free. I can’t imagine how much time you must be devoting to it. I’m still interested in your help for the Lakefront Marathon, so I’ll probably be in touch through PM.

In terms of other recent things you’ve shared, congrats to Gigi on landing the audition role and good luck with building a new house! And I hope the wasp sting heals quickly. Ouch!

Thanks! I'll be eagerly awaiting working with you again! You're going to have so much fun at Lakefront!

G did really well and this whole house thing is like a big juggling game. Open house is Sunday! Foot swelling has gone down and hopefully headed in the right direction.

Ouch! Wasp stings are the worst.

We have built two houses so if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Thanks! Any lessons learned between the first and second?

::yes::

Thanks! Any lessons learned between the first and second?

::yes::

Yup. Get your own inspector in there to inspect during certain phases of construction (like when the electrical goes in). It’s easier to spot problems before the drywall goes up.

Make all structural changes from the get go.

Add extra outlets everywhere, cat-6 and cable outlets. We did that in every room including outlets in some closets. My neighbor was clever and had them install outlets outside just under her roof for Christmas lights.

Pre-wire for ceiling fans.

Pre-plumb if you ever want to build a summer kitchen outside.

Make sure your doors open the way you like them. My pantry door opens inward and I hate it. Same with my DH’s office doors. Eventually we will get around to having them changed to open outward.

If you are handy and/or can pay cash to upgrade later, don’t waste the money on builder priced decorating upgrades like lights, doorknobs, paint, carpet, tile backsplashes, etc. We put in the builder grade carpet in every room but kitchen and bathrooms. As soon as we closed we ripped it all out and installed hardwood. I painted some rooms and had a professional do others. My DH is handy and can install lights and ceiling fans. I’m picking out door knobs this weekend!

Things we made sure to spend money on that I can remember off the top of my head....
- real wood cabinets with dove tailed drawers
- soft close hardware on all cabinet drawers and doors
- gentleman height bathroom cabinets and drawers instead of false fronts
- comfort height toilets
- jetted tub in the master
- 8 (or 9????) foot doorways on our second floor. It was standard on the first floor
- good floor tile. I did not want tile that would show a different color if it got chipped for some reason.
- dish soap dispenser for the kitchen sink.
- we upgraded from the standard 30 inch cook top to a 36 inch. I cook a lot and love having three huge burners.

Yup. Get your own inspector in there to inspect during certain phases of construction (like when the electrical goes in). It’s easier to spot problems before the drywall goes up.

Make all structural changes from the get go.

Add extra outlets everywhere, cat-6 and cable outlets. We did that in every room including outlets in some closets. My neighbor was clever and had them install outlets outside just under her roof for Christmas lights.

Pre-wire for ceiling fans.

Pre-plumb if you ever want to build a summer kitchen outside.

Make sure your doors open the way you like them. My pantry door opens inward and I hate it. Same with my DH’s office doors. Eventually we will get around to having them changed to open outward.

If you are handy and/or can pay cash to upgrade later, don’t waste the money on builder priced decorating upgrades like lights, doorknobs, paint, carpet, tile backsplashes, etc. We put in the builder grade carpet in every room but kitchen and bathrooms. As soon as we closed we ripped it all out and installed hardwood. I painted some rooms and had a professional do others. My DH is handy and can install lights and ceiling fans. I’m picking out door knobs this weekend!

Things we made sure to spend money on that I can remember off the top of my head....
- real wood cabinets with dove tailed drawers
- soft close hardware on all cabinet drawers and doors
- gentleman height bathroom cabinets and drawers instead of false fronts
- comfort height toilets
- jetted tub in the master
- 8 (or 9????) foot doorways on our second floor. It was standard on the first floor
- good floor tile. I did not want tile that would show a different color if it got chipped for some reason.
- dish soap dispenser for the kitchen sink.
- we upgraded from the standard 30 inch cook top to a 36 inch. I cook a lot and love having three huge burners.

This is great stuff. We're still in the back and forth phase on settling on the building plan. He's a family friend who isn't a development builder but just a custom home builder. So he's coming up with a budget and then he'll send us to find the items we like under that budget. He built Steph's sister's house. But these are all great ideas. I really like the outlets in the closet idea.

One more consideration to your new home...if the basement is not finished, but you may want to finish it later, then make sure the ceiling height is the same height as the main floors. Even an 8' ceiling in the basement ends up with only about 7'9" clearance after pipes, ductwork, etc.

A 9' could be a $10,000 add depending on the size of your house but if you are planning on living there a long time it might be worth it; or at least worth considering.

This is great stuff. We're still in the back and forth phase on settling on the building plan. He's a family friend who isn't a development builder but just a custom home builder. So he's coming up with a budget and then he'll send us to find the items we like under that budget. He built Steph's sister's house. But these are all great ideas. I really like the outlets in the closet idea.

That’s the way we plan to build next time. That’s if there is a next time LOL! I’m tired of moving. We wanted to to go custom on our own lot, but not having any connections in this area made it tough.

Glad to hear about the custom-home builder. My father (died ~4 years ago) ran a custom-home building company for his adult life. Usually just him and 2 - 3 workers building the house - subcontracting certain tasks to trusted colleagues. I really think there's a lot more attention to detail and paying attention to what the customer wants with that. Also, as @Bree says, make sure to mention details that you want - but if the builder says things aren't usually done that way, ask why - there's usually a good reason, even if it's not obvious. I was trying to think of an example from one of my dad's many stories, but of course I can't think of one now. :) He built the house I grew up in and that my mom still lives in - the house is now 45 years old and no major problems.

Good luck! It's exciting to have a new house built just for you and your family. I know my dad was always so proud to be helping out families that way and build them something good.

That'll be tough. How long is the remodel can last for that you'll be without the treadmill?

I honestly don't know! We haven't even started the permit process. I think we would be finished in 2020 at this rate. The good news is that I found a running route by our temporary housing and started running 6 slow miles a day. It can go further, but it's hard with a baby waiting for you. I also hate that it's basically all downhill until you turn around (then it's all uphill!)

fascinating hearing about all the tips about a new build. I'm so lost in this remodel that all advice given to you is so helpful!

Happy belated birthday!

Good luck to Gigi!

Hope your foot gets better quick!

:woohoo:

Name:
Garneska (kris)
Race/Distance: Half Marathon Darkside
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 14 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous Run
Days per Week: 4 days
# of Hard Days (per week): 2 (including LR)
Peak Week Duration: 6:01
Peak Week Mileage: 39 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:23:14
Peak Single Run Mileage: 15
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 1:56:57 March 2016 i had 1:53:31 in Aug 2017 but that measured .6 miles short so i think 1:56:57 is more accurate
Expectations Going into it: 1:52 per plan but hoping for 1:50
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Almost to the letter. i had one weekend that i had to shorten from 9 and 16 to 6 and 12. i was having very sore calves and it was the last long weekend before the race. Billy suggested dropping it give my calves a break.
Testimonial: This is my third Dopeybadger plan and by far my best one. After getting a PR in the marathon in Feb 2017 at RnR NOLA, I was actually close to BQ and now it was on my mind if i could do it. I had thought about getting a coach, but it is expensive and this is just a hobby to me. I alreaday spend quite a bit on running shoes and gear. I read a lot from Billy and since he was trying to BQ thought i would take him up on his offer to right a plan. that was for a local marathon in Oct 2017. My goal for that was to BQ. I was running 5 days a week on that plan and did not stick to the prescribed times. i was always fast and sometimes WAY too fast. Unfortunately i ended up injured 3 weeks before the marathon. I pulled out since i had Disney in Jan. i got a PT and have been working with her. That brought me to DB plan #2. i was still running 5 days a week and still going too fast but not as much as i was for DB plan #1. I got to Disney and actually got Norovirus on Saturday so i was not feeling well for the marathon. I completed it but definitely not to at my desired level. This brought me to DB Plan #3. The darkside half. i went to 4 days a week running and promised myself to slow down and hit paces. i did not do so good in the beginning but the last 6 weeks i did.

I got a PR in 1:52:01. I did not hit my time goal of 1:50 but that was due to the conditions. It turned out to be warm and humid for the race. I had some very good things happen though. i was consistent every half was close to 4:15 i only deviated slightly. My goal was to pick it up if there was anything left after mile 9. i could not manage but did not drop my 4:15 until the final mile that i was hitting 4. The best part, after i finished, i felt good. I looked good. After a little break and some water, i could have started running again. i felt good the next day outside of a little soreness in my quads (probably from pushing the last mile in the humid conditions).

Basically i am in for DB plant #4 and that is to get me to finish Chicago in 3:50 so i can go to Boston in April 2020.

Thanks Billy!!

One more consideration to your new home...if the basement is not finished, but you may want to finish it later, then make sure the ceiling height is the same height as the main floors. Even an 8' ceiling in the basement ends up with only about 7'9" clearance after pipes, ductwork, etc.

A 9' could be a $10,000 add depending on the size of your house but if you are planning on living there a long time it might be worth it; or at least worth considering.

Definitely a consideration. Right now it's at 8 feet, but it's on the list of possible increases. Depends on what we can do with the sale of our current house and how much extra we have to play around with.

That’s the way we plan to build next time. That’s if there is a next time LOL! I’m tired of moving. We wanted to to go custom on our own lot, but not having any connections in this area made it tough.

I can certainly understand. We reached out to a builder doing lots in that same neighborhood and they weren't what we were looking for. Hoping everything works out with the guy that did my SIL's house.

Glad to hear about the custom-home builder. My father (died ~4 years ago) ran a custom-home building company for his adult life. Usually just him and 2 - 3 workers building the house - subcontracting certain tasks to trusted colleagues. I really think there's a lot more attention to detail and paying attention to what the customer wants with that. Also, as @Bree says, make sure to mention details that you want - but if the builder says things aren't usually done that way, ask why - there's usually a good reason, even if it's not obvious. I was trying to think of an example from one of my dad's many stories, but of course I can't think of one now. :) He built the house I grew up in and that my mom still lives in - the house is now 45 years old and no major problems.

Good luck! It's exciting to have a new house built just for you and your family. I know my dad was always so proud to be helping out families that way and build them something good.

Sounds just like our guy. Totally asking lots of questions. One of my big things was getting a walk-in closet for G. Figured she'll be a clothes diva when she gets older and needs a WIC to fit that profile. Builder thought it would be a waste of space, but he drew up the plans with one. Now she's got one bigger than the Master on the current iteration.

I honestly don't know! We haven't even started the permit process. I think we would be finished in 2020 at this rate. The good news is that I found a running route by our temporary housing and started running 6 slow miles a day. It can go further, but it's hard with a baby waiting for you. I also hate that it's basically all downhill until you turn around (then it's all uphill!)

fascinating hearing about all the tips about a new build. I'm so lost in this remodel that all advice given to you is so helpful!

Happy belated birthday!

Good luck to Gigi!

Hope your foot gets better quick!

Hooray for a new running route! Well I guess you'll be ready for hilly racing then! And thanks all around. The foot is still swollen... But I'm hopeful by Tuesday I can start up again. I was able to complete the McMillan core routine, so at least I got to do something.

48 Days to Go (Vespinae)

8uGf.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

4/16/18 - M - OFF
4/17/18 - T - 3 mile WU + 15 x 200m @ R (5:27) w/ 200m RI + 3 mile CD
4/18/18 - W - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
4/19/18 - R - OFF
4/20/18 - F - OFF
4/21/18 - Sat - OFF
4/22/18 - Sun - MCR Stage 2A

Running duration = 2:19 hours
Running mileage = 16.1 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = n/a hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = n/a miles
Total (training) duration = 2:19 hours
Total (training) mileage = 16.1 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = 7/15 (47%)

Monday

Great birthday. G and Steph took me out to a nice dinner. I'm a lucky guy and I'm not complaining.

Tuesday

It was finally time to start real training in advance of my HM in June! We had to leave the house at 8:15am for G's first professional photo shoot. We also had an appointment with the realtor at 5:30pm and I couldn't be sure whether I'd have time between or after the meeting. So I decided to get it out of the way and do the run early in the morning. So I was up at 4:45am and out the door not long after. It was finally go time!

3 mile WU + 15 x 200m @ R / 200m RI + 3 mile CD

Simple enough. I got the 3 mile WU out of the way and it was time to hit the super speedy paces for the first time since way before December.

R Goal - 41.0 seconds (window of 40.0-42.9 seconds)
Intervals - 42.9, 40.5, 40.6, 39.7, 39.1, 39.1, 39.8, 39.3, 39.7, 40.7, 39.6, 40.1, 40.9, 37.5, 42.0

Was conservative on the first one, and then I let myself settle in. Not quite the right pace, but pretty darn consistent throughout. That 37.5 was because I had an audience. Definitely feeling it towards the end, but I was successful.

Then came G's photo shoot. Needless to say, she absolutely crushed it. I can't say much about it. But I'd say if she can do that again every time, then she'll keep having fun and others will enjoy working with her.

Then came the realty appointment. Unfortunately, I made the decision not to wear shoes outside and it truly cost me. Awwww, my foot hurst. WHAT a WASP??? UGH! It started to swell somewhat and I iced it and soon enough was in bed.

Because I moved the run to the morning, it was not going to be ideal to try and do the McMillan core routine. So I just decided to skip it.

Wednesday

Woke up and while my foot was slightly swollen, it wasn't that bad. I could tell the bridge of my foot was swollen complete, but other than that, good to go. So as the day progressed I never questioned being able to run. I was scheduled for an easy 7 mile day. Things started off fine, but as the run progressed I could tell I wasn't 100%. And my foot was causing me to compensate ever so slightly. I ended up slowing down and just trying to finish it out.

As soon as I got home, I knew I needed some ice and elevation. So that's what I did for the rest of the evening.

Thursday

Woke up and ready to do my core McMillan routine. Put my foot on the ground and it was quite apparent something was wrong. I could barely walk across the room. I made it to the couch and decided to use the "core" time for ice/elevation. I took my sock off and whoa mommy! That was a very swollen foot. I couldn't even recognize it anymore. I could't even tie my shoe! I limped around all day and tried to keep it iced and elevated at work. No running.

Friday

Still swollen. Still no running.

Saturday

Still swollen. Still no running.

We went to go see Avengers Infinity War. I've literally been waiting for this movie for years. It was finally here. It did not disappoint. One of the best movies I've ever seen and everyone must go see it. A-MA-ZING!

Sunday

Finally starting to look like my normal foot, but not quite there yet. I decided to give it until Tuesday. So instead I went with just the McMillan Stage 2A core routine. It was fine and I survived.

BOOOOOMMMM!

Plan #170
Name: @lhermiston
Race/Distance: Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 14
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 5
# of Hard Days (per week): 1-2 (usually 1)
Peak Week Duration: 7:30:57
Peak Week Mileage:
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:28:55
Peak Single Run Mileage: 17
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 4:22:25 - 2017 Walt Disney World Marathon
Expectations Going into it: I had a very successful speed training courtesy of DopeyBadger prior to the marathon training, so I knew his methods were successful. I hoped if I stayed healthy I could set a new PR and maybe break four hours.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: 85-95 percent, I'm guessing. I missed one run due to illness, cut another short due to illness, missed two during the taper to rest an achy ankle and cut a few warm ups and cool downs short on evenings when I was pressed for time.
Testimonial: I think the most accurate way to describe what this training plan has meant for me is Billy/DopeyBadger unlocked my potential.
I completed my first marathon - Disney 2017 - in 4:22. Not a bad first marathon by any means, but I went into it injured and ended up walking what felt like a decent portion of it. My second marathon - Lakefront 2017 - was about 9 minutes slower and I went into it feeling under-trained and somewhat injured.
I felt after those two races that 1. I was trending in the wrong direction with my time and 2. I had the capacity for a 4-hour marathon if I could stay healthy and was properly trained. Enter DopeyBadger. First with the speed training and then with the marathon training, Billy crafted plans that were tailored to me, my goals, my schedule and my level of fitness - this is not a one size fits all approach. The results during training were I was able to run five days a week (something I never thought possible) and I stayed mostly injured free. As for the marathon? I finished with a chip time of 3:47:58, approximately a 34 minute PR. Simply put, DopeyBadger's plans work.
Aside from an expertly crafted training regimen, Billy is great an answering questions, explaining concepts and offering words of encouragement without being asked, which really go a long way.
Like I said, Billy has been instrumental/crucial/irreplaceable in my quest to become the best runner I can be.

It was a good weekend....

Plan #163
Name: KSellers88
Race/Distance: Rock n' Roll Nashville Half Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 14
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 6
# of Hard Days (per week): 3
Peak Week Duration: 8:09:44
Peak Week Mileage: 52
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:07:56
Peak Single Run Mileage: 14
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 1:56:04, 11/12/2016 at the Soldier Half in Columbus, GA
Expectations Going into it: My goal going in was to PR, and I really wanted a sub 1:50 half.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: I think I missed 3 runs total and had to cut maybe 3 short. I was able to hit most of the paces set on my plan, with the exception of a few tempo runs.
Testimonial: I could not be happier with the results of my plan! I had been stuck at the 1:56 mark for my half marathon PR for almost two years. Literally, some of my prior race times were 1:56:04, 1:56:06, 1:56:07, 1:59:40, and 1:59:55. There was something about that 1:56 barrier that I could not break. I had previously used Billy's plan for my first marathon and WDW Marathon, and I knew I wanted to try and PR in the half after the WDW Marathon in January. Billy and I discussed several options (I'm doing one half marathon per month in 2018) and I selected Rock n' Roll Nashville as the best option mainly due to weather. This ended up being the perfect decision as the weather on race day was perfect. I followed Billy's plan as closely as possible and it ended up paying off! I set a PR of 1:48:37 (8 MINUTES!!) on a less than ideal course with over 600 feet of elevation gain and achieved negative splits! Not only did Billy help me with my physical strength and endurance, but he has helped me achieve mental strength as well. I've always doubted my abilities, but following his plans help me realize I am capable of SO much more than I give myself credit for. I cannot thank him enough and will never use another coach for as long as he makes plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter