To recline or not to recline...

I did not say anyone was more "deserving" of consideration. I said, one should not have to sit in discomfort for someone else's comfort. That is inconsideration from the one putting them in discomfort. I am really unsure how that is hard to understand. And again, the person behind is just sitting there. They aren't being inconsiderate. But now, according to you, they shouldn't even be asked if it will bother them.
I have scoliosis. Sitting completely upright in an airline seat is uncomfortable. I recline to ease pressure on my back. Aren't you being inconsiderate TO ME by expecting me not to use the feature that comes on my seat that can relive my discomfort? Why is YOUR comfort more important than MINE?

This is a circular argument that can go on indefinitely.

For that last statement, you keep referring to people around you that would NOT even be the case for someone in front/behind you. Using an example of people in the seats beside you does NOT mean the person behind you will effect you.

I did not say anyone was more "deserving" of consideration. I said, one should not have to sit in discomfort for someone else's comfort. That is inconsideration from the one putting them in discomfort. I am really unsure how that is hard to understand. And again, the person behind is just sitting there. They aren't being inconsiderate. But now, according to you, they shouldn't even be asked if it will bother them.

As for "asking", I meant more of "alerting". Like "hey, i need to recline this seat a little, its putting a cramp in my neck. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt anything". That is consideration. If the reclined seat isn't going to make any more difference than everyone is saying, then there shouldn't be a problem if done in that way.

But, hey, if you choose to be "considerate" of others by twisting up like a pretzel to make sure those on either side of you have all the room they need, more power to you. Just understand that you are allowing them to continue to be inconsiderate of you.

So, I wanted to see with my own eyes what reclining will do to the passenger behind you. So I googled. There are literally thousands of articles on this subject! Wow! Did not know there was this whole controversy out there! Lots of etiquette lists that say when to recline and when not to. Most are about what is being said here. None saying "well its only 3 inches it doesn't hurt anything", but agreeing with some of the complaints against reclining and why one should be mindful of the person behind them in those cases. They aren't saying don't, just be careful when. Seems like a good compromise to the whole thing.
mmkk..I don't really have much energy to carry on the back and forth anymore. You can re-read my comments regarding one's affect one can have (like knees and feets poking through) AND yes I do mean front to back there not side to side if you want to IDC.

Stop trying to insult me based on an act of kindness and consideration..shame you consider that an insult it's weird that you think it is like how dare I consider other people in lieu of myself tsk tsk on me I guess. If only one could have more consideration towards others..guess not. I'm kinda done responding to you but please have a good rest of your day :flower3:

I have scoliosis. Sitting completely upright in an airline seat is uncomfortable. I recline to ease pressure on my back. Aren't you being inconsiderate TO ME by expecting me not to use the feature that comes on my seat that can relive my discomfort? Why is YOUR comfort more important than MINE?

This is a circular argument that can go on indefinitely.

Sure, you should recline if you need to. But would it be too much to say exactly that in a nice way to the person behind you?

Again, no one's comfort is more important. I never said that. I said one is more responsible for being considerate to the other.

Saying that one should be considerate of the people around them is in no way saying that anyone should remain in discomfort.

I personally don't care either way about reclining seats but I travel with two toddlers a few times a year so everyone already hates us...lol

Also, to add with people sleeping/reclining I am sure people thought my husband was a jerk for not moving once. He had been up for close to 48 hours and when he got on the plane passed out. No one could wake him...we are still not sure how the other people got out of the row (he was on the end) but when he finally got up the plane was empty and the flight attendants and captain were getting ready to call paramedics. (He did apologize..and everyone did laugh). So for the people that fall a sleep and don't get up I try to give them a bit of a break.

mmkk..I don't really have much energy to carry on the back and forth anymore. You can re-read my comments regarding one's affect one can have (like knees and feets poking through) AND yes I do mean front to back there not side to side if you want to IDC.

Stop trying to insult me based on an act of kindness and consideration..shame you consider that an insult it's weird that you think it is like how dare I consider other people in lieu of myself tsk tsk on me I guess. If only one could have more consideration towards others..guess not. I'm kinda done responding to you but please have a good rest of your day :flower3:

As expected.

I am just disagreeing you. No reason to take everything so personally. And I didn't insult you. But, to say that sitting in discomfort so that someone else could use the arm rest is an "act of kindness" is a bit overly dramatic. I mean come on, its not like you gave a hungry passenger your lunch. Its an arm rest put there for both to use.

Perhaps you did mention knees and feet, not sure, mostly you mentioned things that had more to do with the people sitting beside you. And in fact that was pointed out by someone else. But lets change what I said--UNLESS that person behind you is putting their knees into your seat, they aren't effecting the person who is going to recline. Deciding that the person behind CAN effect the person in front is not even remotely close to the same thing we were talking about. In the act of one person sitting and the other reclining, the person sitting isn't effecting the person reclining. They CAN but that doesn't mean they ARE.

I have never had anyone in the row in front of me in an airplane try to discuss their seating arrangement with me. ????

I'm finding it really hard to envision all these diser's turning around trying to get the attention of the person behind them so they can inform them they plan to recline significantly enough to cause disruption to their space and asking their permission to do so. LOL!

I have never had anyone in the row in front of me in an airplane try to discuss their seating arrangement with me. ????

I'm finding it really hard to envision all these diser's turning around trying to get the attention of the person behind them so they can inform them they plan to recline significantly enough to cause disruption to their space and asking their permission to do so. LOL!
I sit on the aisle, so it’s east to peek around and see if the tray table is down for dining, or a laptop is being used. The window seat can always see easily.

When airline reduced the space between rows the removed the required space for reclining. The airlines should either remove the recline feature or space the seats out so that their is enough space. A previous poster suggested the seat slide forward so when you reclin you use you own leg room when you recline, not the person behind you.

I don't understand why the person who wants the space they are entitled to has to pay to upgrade their seat. Why not the person who feels the current space in economy is too small when the seats are used as intended with the recline feature? If the space is too small when used as intended, pay for exit row, pay for first row, pay for economy comfort, etc.

OR - even better. Vote with your wallet. Choose the airlines with more space between seats or airlines which don't offer recline (Frontier seats come already slightly reclined and are stationary).
I got to here and this is the comment that wins the argument. Just like I said in the Oscar thread about people saying actors and athletes are overpaid. Very simple in a Capitalistic society, vote with your wallet or there's no reason to complain.

I don't go out and spend $1000 on an iPhone, then complain about the cost. I can legitimately complain about the cost because I think it's ridiculous enough that I don't buy iPhones. I vote with my wallet.

Though I can't really say my opinion is airfare is too expensive, it is expensive and unaffordable to me. I don't complain about it, I vote with my wallet and don't fly on airplanes. Same would be with this argument of the reclining seat. If it's that much of an issue, you have the choice not to fly. Vote with your wallet.

Cars are getting outrageously expensive. I really want a truck again. They are stupidly expensive and they are that way because of the consumer. I didn't chose not to buy my cheap $17k car and go out and buy a $45k truck because I think the cost is ridiculous. The way everyone talks it seems they think the same but in reality, they don't think that way because they go out and extend payments out to 7-8 years. I don't drive a truck. I voted with my wallet.

Etc, etc, etc with everything in life in a free world Capitalist system.

Also, I've had people recline in front of me while I've been working or eating and it really doesn't have much of an effect on me. I still had room to eat or work. No big deal. They don't go back that far.
This! We fly Delta over 90% of the time. As mentioned on this thread, seats only recline 2-3 inches. Passengers are not really in anyone's lap.

I'm vertically challenged...I recline. Otherwise, my head is in an uncomfortable position and my feet don't touch the floor. I have neck and back issues so this can cause a bit of pain...not just discomfort. Footrests help but they've disappeared over the years.

BTW... The comment from Delta's CEO regarding reclining seats...wow. The airline sell a product. Customers should be able to use the services they purchase.

👍

I sit on the aisle, so it’s east to peek around and see if the tray table is down for dining, or a laptop is being used. The window seat can always see easily.
Sure but is that going to stop someone from reclining?

Just means they are aware the tray is down and an object is on said tray. What was previously being discussed was to converse with the people behind you asking for permission and advising of one's plan--"I'd like to recline you good with that" for example.

People generally just want to be left alone, in all my flights and in all my husband's flights that's been the vast majority. You keep to yourself mostly. My headphones are on as soon as I sit down, I pause my music for the safety spiel and for when I see the FAs come around with drink orders and snacks to give them my order and say my thanks. I kinda don't want to be bothered each and every time I'm flying by someone in front of me asking me if they are good to recline. Just recline I'll deal with it and I expect it and I totally wouldn't expect them to ask me for permission--I'm all for politeness but that's even a bit much in my book given the realities of flying.

I don’t ask if I can recline. I assume I can. If I see they have a drink or laptop on the tray table, I’ll let them know I’m about to recline, and give them time to move their stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter