Tom Sawyer's Island

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
I've never been and don't even know what's on there. Is it a good place for an hour's rest time? We want to stay in the park mid-afternoon, but don't want to be standing in lines all day. We have a dinner, so I don't want to be sitting at restaurants for snacks in the afternoon, either.

What's there to do on the Island and is there any relaxing/seating areas?

Its relaxing and if you have young ones they should enjoy the fort. In the front of the area there is a large seating area where I have seen people bring food and eat there. Every time we go I wonder how much longer the island will survive. It does not get that many visitors and eats up a huge amount of real estate.

Its relaxing and if you have young ones they should enjoy the fort. In the front of the area there is a large seating area where I have seen people bring food and eat there. Every time we go I wonder how much longer the island will survive. It does not get that many visitors and eats up a huge amount of real estate.
Agreed. Each time I walk by or go on the island, I say goodbye because I assume it'll be gone the next trip. It would be great if they opened Aunt Polly's more often (heard they opened for a week during Christmas 2018) and made it clear what it was. People just have no clue it exists or what's there.

I've never been and don't even know what's on there. Is it a good place for an hour's rest time? We want to stay in the park mid-afternoon, but don't want to be standing in lines all day. We have a dinner, so I don't want to be sitting at restaurants for snacks in the afternoon, either.

What's there to do on the Island and is there any relaxing/seating areas?
Relaxing is the number one thing to do at Tom Sawyer. There are rocking chairs through out but my favorite ones are the ones that over look Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion. There are also picnic tables by the very small play area at the top of the hill.
Some more seating at the fort with checkers available to play
Now the second thing to do is explore, there are caves, secret passageways, barrel bridges, the fort. We can pretty much cover the island in less than an hour if we are in a hurry but it is the best place to relax while at MK, just keep in mind that TSI opens later in the day and closes before sunset

There are lots of places to sit and relax. It is a nice quiet place to get away from the crowds.
Not a lot for older kids to do there unless they want a place to get away for the crowds as well.

How much time would you allot to Tom Sawyer? DH would love to just sit, I'm sure. The boys would explore, but if they were bored, they have phones :sad2:

I agree with you. The island will survive, only because Disney can't think of anything else to do with it, and it doesn't cost very much money just to leave it alone.

An hour should be enough relaxing time to just get a break. I think your teens may find it kind of boring but it is wonderful for tween and lower kids plus grownups. If your DH is like mine and may just need a spot to escape the crush of people for awhile, I would say it is perfect.

Last edited:
We have a 2 pm ADR at BOG on July 3. My plan is to go over there after lunch, to get away from the July 3 crowds.

My only concern is how much time we'll have before it closes. I figure we'd get there around 3:30 or so?

We've never found a place to sit there, and the little snack bar is always closed. My son loves it though, especially when he was younger but even now as a teen. I don't think we've ever been there for an hour, but if there was an empty chair I'd stay!

Relaxing is the number one thing to do at Tom Sawyer. There are rocking chairs through out but my favorite ones are the ones that over look Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion. There are also picnic tables by the very small play area at the top of the hill.
Some more seating at the fort with checkers available to play
Now the second thing to do is explore, there are caves, secret passageways, barrel bridges, the fort. We can pretty much cover the island in less than an hour if we are in a hurry but it is the best place to relax while at MK, just keep in mind that TSI opens later in the day and closes before sunset

I guess this is why we’ve never done it. Our touring style is to arrive late and close out the parks. It’s never been open in any of our 50ish visits to MK. My kids actually just said, “it’s just decoration.” Lol
We actually don’t even know how to get to the island? Maybe we will try to go early one day and get to it. How do we get over there?

See, I want to do RD on our MK day, but I ended up with an 8:15pm SDMT. That's a long day unless we have a break, but my other FPs are mid afternoon (earliest available) and we're offsite guests, so going back home from MK (parking, security, monorail) isn't an option if I hope to be there in the evening. I do want a rest, though and thought that might be my best bet.

What about the Liberty Steam boat? What's that like and is it long enough and is there seating?

I guess this is why we’ve never done it. Our touring style is to arrive late and close out the parks. It’s never been open in any of our 50ish visits to MK. My kids actually just said, “it’s just decoration.” Lol
We actually don’t even know how to get to the island? Maybe we will try to go early one day and get to it. How do we get over there?
You take a raft over. They are right next to Big Thunder. It's typically open until around 5 or 6ish, depending on the time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter