Tom Sawyer's Island

I'm thinking of monorailing (?) To grand floridian and relaxing on the couches for a bit. Kids (6&8) may even close their eyes for a bit. March 3rd: we have EMM and want to stay for fireworks.

We haven't been over on our last couple of trips, but when have gone, it's been a good place to rest. There's shade, as someone already mentioned, and if the chairs are taken, plenty of big rocks to sit down on (or if you normally carry a backpack, you could throw a towel in it to sit on).

I agree that teens might not be as into exploring as little ones - but as you said, they could just relax and take a phone break. Plus, you never know - Disney brings out the kid in a lot of people!

I guess this is why we’ve never done it. Our touring style is to arrive late and close out the parks. It’s never been open in any of our 50ish visits to MK. My kids actually just said, “it’s just decoration.” Lol
We actually don’t even know how to get to the island? Maybe we will try to go early one day and get to it. How do we get over there?
A raft from the docks close to big thunder mountain. It usually closes at 5pm so you might be able to go on your late arrival days

See, I want to do RD on our MK day, but I ended up with an 8:15pm SDMT. That's a long day unless we have a break, but my other FPs are mid afternoon (earliest available) and we're offsite guests, so going back home from MK (parking, security, monorail) isn't an option if I hope to be there in the evening. I do want a rest, though and thought that might be my best bet.

What about the Liberty Steam boat? What's that like and is it long enough and is there seating?
Liberty Belle takes you around the island, it's a 20 min ride. Very few places to actually sit, therevis a cabin area with seating (very small) but depending on weather it can be very hot inside.
I also recommend going to one of the MK hotels. Their lobbies are very comfortable plus air conditioned. It takes only about 5 minutes to head to the contemporary or about 10 to take the boat or monorail to the grand floridian. You would only have to go through a different security check when you come back to mk. The lobbies have restrooms, quick service options
Other options are to go to country bears jamboree (15 min show) tiki room (less than 15 min show) hall of presidents (20 min show) these attractions never have lines so it's an easy way to get off of your feet, into a/c

If you take the monorail to GF or Contemporary, where do you go through security. Also, is there any chance the kids could slip into the pool (Contemporary), while we lounge at the pool deck or do they check you in and out of that area?

It is great because instead of having to stand in a line and kind of be passively entertained, kids can walk all over and take the lead in where they explore. Kind of why they have playgrounds/free play in every park...the kids need to be in charge of what they do sometimes and use their imagination.

If you take the monorail to GF or Contemporary, where do you go through security. Also, is there any chance the kids could slip into the pool (Contemporary), while we lounge at the pool deck or do they check you in and out of that area?

If you are taking the monorail back, you go through security at the monorail entrance. If you walk from Contemporary, it’s on the walking path. This means resort hopping via monorail now requires a bag check every time you leave a resort.

Pools are for resort guests only- it’s part of what you’re paying for when you stay there. Most if not all of the pools are surrounded by a fence that you get past with your room key card/magic band with the stay linked.

No chance your kids can go in the pool. The pool area is for resort guests only.

No chance your kids can go in the pool. The pool area is for resort guests only.
This isn't completely accurate, if you are a DVC member staying onsite using points, pool hopping MAY be allowed for you and anyone in your room, but always check the current rules and blackout dates for pool hopping on the member site as they change often. And this is not considered a Membership Extra, so it is available to all members, even those who purchased resale. Also, pool hopping may be restricted due to capacity and/or maintenance issues.

This isn't completely accurate, if you are a DVC member staying onsite using points, pool hopping MAY be allowed for you and anyone in your room, but always check the current rules and blackout dates for pool hopping on the member site as they change often. And this is not considered a Membership Extra, so it is available to all members, even those who purchased resale. Also, pool hopping may be restricted due to capacity and/or maintenance issues.
Since she says they'll be at the Contemporary, the BLT pool is excluded, with no exceptions.

Since she says they'll be at the Contemporary, the BLT pool is excluded, with no exceptions.

Ok, I misread the Contemporary part, interestingly enough it looks like the Poly is no longer excluded.
OP has said that they are staying off site. So no WDW resort pool would be accessible to use for them

I forgot about the fences around the pools. Yeah, we're off-site, and not DVC members, so that would let the pool option out. Anyway, who wants to carry bathing suits around MK. :)

I don't think it would ever be okay to go to a pool of a resort you're not paying to stay at- whether at Disney or elsewhere :confused3
The exception at Disney would be the allowed DVC perk.

I would say an hour in total is a solid amount of time. Its relaxing and offers very cool views of the Magic Kingdom. While there is shade and cool caves, I would discourage it on a scorching hot day, as they don't help much.

I generally like to walk around it, get some cool pictures in front of Thunder Mountain, and leave.

I would say an hour in total is a solid amount of time. Its relaxing and offers very cool views of the Magic Kingdom. While there is shade and cool caves, I would discourage it on a scorching hot day, as they don't help much.

I generally like to walk around it, get some cool pictures in front of Thunder Mountain, and leave.
We're there in a few weeks, but yeah, the weather can go really hot or just pleasant.

Has Tom Sawyer Island ever had a printed map available?
TSI at Disney Tokyo has a really nice map that's available to grab and take with you for free.
I see many eBay auctions for vintage Anaheim Disneyland TSI maps. But no auctions for maps from WDW.
I have been to TSI at WDW many times but don't recall printed maps ever being available.

(in any case anyone's wondering - TSI is one of my favorite attractions. After visiting DL Tokyo last month and taking the map home, I thought it would be neat to frame maps from Tokyo, DL and WDW. I purchased one of the aforementioned DL auction maps but now am without a WDW map!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter