Tom Sawyer's Island

Has Tom Sawyer Island ever had a printed map available?
TSI at Disney Tokyo has a really nice map that's available to grab and take with you for free.
I see many eBay auctions for vintage Anaheim Disneyland TSI maps. But no auctions for maps from WDW.
I have been to TSI at WDW many times but don't recall printed maps ever being available.

(in any case anyone's wondering - TSI is one of my favorite attractions. After visiting DL Tokyo last month and taking the map home, I thought it would be neat to frame maps from Tokyo, DL and WDW. I purchased one of the aforementioned DL auction maps but now am without a WDW map!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Map-of-Tom...orld-Poster-Available-in-5-Sizes/371973420943

It is great because instead of having to stand in a line and kind of be passively entertained, kids can walk all over and take the lead in where they explore. Kind of why they have playgrounds/free play in every park...the kids need to be in charge of what they do sometimes and use their imagination.
I was philosophizing as we were exploring the island about why it is that we were enjoying it so much. I'd almost call it a "must-do"—tongue-in-cheek a bit, since if you have like half a day at MK it wouldn't make the cut. But it's got an amazing re-energizing quality that makes it a potential replacement for an afternoon hotel break. This is partly because it's not as crowded, so you get a little relief from the people-stress; it's wooded, giving shade and cool.

But I think most of all it's this: most of your Disneyworld days are full of "one-way" experiences. You stand in line, all faces pointing the same way, and shuffle along. You get to a boarding area and all hustle toward the same destination. You get onto the attraction and are shot or wafted through a sequence of experiences. You get off and hustle to the next attraction because you're late for your FP. Your day is scripted—somewhat literally, around Imagineered, linear narrative flows. True, there's the occasional trackless ride or such that mixes up the order a bit, but for the most part you go where you have to because it's what you have to do right that second. You step onto Tom Sawyer's Island (or into the Boneyard) and... go wherever you want and do whatever you want. There's something there that feeds the soul, and you need some of it in your day.

It appears they stopped doing it at Disneyland in the 80's:
https://themousemuseum.com/2017/12/21/tom-sawyer-island-brochure-map-1980s/

Although, it appears there was something offered when Pirate Lair was installed:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disneyland...623299?hash=item2f2e9ed203:g:7f8AAOSw3Spcpq7D

I don't see anything similar for Disney World, aside from the posters that you have already seen.

I've never seen those at the US parks, but I was given a cool map of Tom Sawyer's Island at Tokyo Disneyland a couple of years ago. I still have it, and want to frame it, but it's a bit of an odd size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter