• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Total Nightmare @ Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

or is it 'War of Words' ? AT 3 vs. AFTER 3
I wasn't going to get back into the main discussion, I swear I wasn't....

At least one poster, very recently - last couple of pages/days - has quoted their Walt Disney World reservation paperwork as indicated check-in time is after 3 PM. Not "is 3 PM", not "at 3 PM", not even ": 3 PM" :rotfl: - but the argued and apparently dreaded 'after'.

KellyNY said:
And I believe I am not the only one having problems like that at night, this thread is a bright example.
Quoting only the pertinent statement, in the interest of brevity and bandwidth; the entire text is in post 755 on the previous page... Agreed, the quoted poster is not the only one who has had problems at a hotel (at Walt Disney World or anywhere). As indicated, this thread demonstrates that, including the quoted poster, either two or three Guests in this thread have had a room problem at one time, out of one or many visits each.

Quoting only the pertinent statement, in the interest of brevity and bandwidth; the entire text is in post 755 on the previous page... Agreed, the quoted posted is not the only one who has had problems at a hotel (at Walt Disney World or anywhere). As indicated, this thread demonstrates that, including the quoted poster, either two or three Guests in this thread have had a room problem at one time - out of one or many visits each.

Oh vey!

so tell me, what time AFTER 3pm? 4pm? 5pm? 3:30pm? 3:01pm? No one seems to answer this question? That's because checkin is supposed to begin at 3pm. Even, then, rooms don't have to be ready exactly at 3pm. If you're the first person to checkin at exactly 3pm, then it still probably takes a minimum of 15-20min to get through that process, then maybe another 5-10min to get to your room. So in theory, the earliest time the room would need to be ready for is 3:20 - 3:30pm.

"AT/AFTER" 3pm....i think some people on this thread have gotten ahold of Bill Clinton's dictionary when it comes to definitions.:rotfl2:

Just tellin' ya what it says on my confirmation.

To me "AT" 3pm, would mean that I can check-in at 3pm and my room would be ready.

After 3pm, means it could literally be ANYTIME after 3pm, I suppose even midnight, but I highly doubt that would happen.

ols386 said:
After 3pm, means it could literally be ANYTIME after 3pm, I suppose even midnight, but I highly doubt that would happen.
::yes:: I was getting a number of shipments via UPS not all that long ago, and of course I frequently wasn't home on their first delivery attempt - so the driver would leave an Info Notice saying they'd try again the next day "After 5". Well, more than once, 7 or 7:30 would roll around and no delivery - so I'd call. At least one of those times, I was told they "deliver to businesses first, and residences late in the day, and after 5 could mean any time up to 11:59 PM"!!!!

Just tellin' ya what it says on my confirmation.

To me "AT" 3pm, would mean that I can check-in at 3pm and my room would be ready.

To me, "after" means you can check in anytime after 3pm, and your room should be ready.

Note that most places have an upper limit on your check-in time - say, like 6pm - and if you don't check in by that time they are free to give your room away unless you "guarantee" it with a credit card (which means, in essence, that you are paying for the first night either way). Disney doesn't do that, but that's because you've already "guaranteed" it by paying up front.

As I've said, the way it SHOULD work is that I check in at 3pm (or 3:01 for the those that insist). The CM says, "Let's see what room is ready for you...ah, 4321..." and I get my room. Room 5432 isn't cleared at 3pm (3:01...), so I don't get that one.

You check in at 4:22pm. "Let's see..." 5432 has been cleared by then, and you get that room. Note that Disney didn't have to have every single room ready at 3:01pm. But a person checking in at 3:01pm gets a room ready at 3:01pm.

Disney KNOWS how many people check in at what time on average, and should be able to have near 100% of rooms available by the time they are needed.

Do you mean oy vey? Could you please explain what's exasperating you? Is it that I'm trying to comply with your request not to quote only portions of what you post and appear to take said text out of, well, context? That's why I referred people back to the original post. Or is it that I pointed out that while you're right, this thread shows that people have had room problems - it shows that up to three people have had room problems at Walt Disney World. And yes, I realize this is a small sampling of guests with room problems - but the participants in this thread are a much smaller microcosm of total guests. And even among the posters in this thread who've had room problems - at least one has stayed at WDW many times with, apparently, no such problems.

Do you mean oy vey? Could you please explain what's exasperating you? Is it that I'm trying to comply with your request not to quote only portions of what you post and appear to take said text out of, well, context? That's why I referred people back to the original post. Or is it that I pointed out that while you're right, this thread shows that people have had room problems - it shows that up to three people have had room problems at Walt Disney World. And yes, I realize this is a small sampling of guests with room problems - but the participants in this thread are a much smaller microcosm of total guests. And even among the posters in this thread who've had room problems - at least one has stayed at WDW many times with, apparently, no such problems.

I've not really had any problems with a room at WDW. Most of the time I arrive at the resort between 11am-12:00 noon, and usually a room is available and I have immediate access to it. There have been a couple of times when it was not ready until later in the afternoon.

I've never had any maintenance problems with a room, at all. I do feel fortunate for that.

I do think that they should be able to guarantee that rooms are ready AT 3 or 4pm, but they won't guarantee that in case there is some unforeseen situation that arises and a room is not available for a guest by that time. (That doesn't mean that guests HAVE to check-in right at 3 or 4, but that the rooms will be available by that time).

WOW! Can't believe this thread is still going :lmao:

Ok, examples of "checking-in" where the assigned or appointed time is not reflective of the time when the service is rendered

Dentist
- I make an appointment for 5pm with my Dentist
- I check in at 5pm
- I sit in the waiting area
- I wait
- and wait
- and wait
- I see my DENTAL HYGENIST at 5:15 (if I'm lucky!! Usually 5:25 for a 5pm appointment).
- Dental Hygenist cleans my teeth
- Dentist wanders in at 6pm
WAIT TIME: 1 hour

Doctor
- I make an appointment for 5pm with my Dentist
- I check in at 5pm
- I wait
- and wait
- and wait
- I see the Nurse Practicioner at 5:25 (if I'm lucky!! Usually 5:40 for a 5pm appointment).
- Nurse Practicioner takes weight, height,m blood pressure, pulse etc.
- Dentist wanders in at 6:15pm
WAIT TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes

Restaurant
- I make a 5pm dinner reservation
- I check-in at 5pm
- I wait
- I see the Hostess at 5:15
- I am seated at my table at 5:20
- I see my server at 5:30
WAIT TIME: 30 minutes

Airport
- I make a reservation for a 5pm flight. The suggested "check-in" time is 1 1/2 - 2 hours prior to flight time (between 3 and 3:30)
- I check-in at 3:15pm
- I receive my gate information
- I wait in the security line
- I wait at the waiting area by the gate
- I board the plane at 4:45pm
- I wait until all passengers have boarded
- Plane pulls away from gate at 5:05pm
- I wait as we taxi out to the runway
- I wait as we are cleared for take-off
- I wait as the planes before me are cleared for take-off
- Plane departs at 5:15pm
WAIT TIME: 2 hours (from "check-in")

Party for the Senses
- I have made a reservation for 6:30pm (party start time)
- Asked to "check-in" by 5:30-6:00pm
- I check in at 5:30pm
- I line up in front of the World Showplace Gates
- I wait
- At 6pm gates open, and I proceed into World Showplace waiting area
- I wait
- At 6:30 the waiting area opens to the main room
WAIT TIME: 1 hour

Concert
- I am attending a concert starting at 7pm
- I arrive at 6:15pm
- I give my ticket to the attendant
- I arrive at my seat at 6:30pm
- I wait
- At 7pm the opening act comes on stage
- I watch
- At 7:30 the opening act leaves the stage
- I wait
- at 8:15 (if you are lucky) the band comes on stage
WAIT TIME: 2 hours

I could go on and on, but as other posters have illustrated, checking-in is a process of being "checked off the list," not of being guarenteed your booked service at that time.

Ok, examples of "checking-in" where the assigned or appointed time is not reflective of the time when the service is rendered

[...]

I could go on and on, but as other posters have illustrated, checking-in is a process of being "checked off the list," not of being guarenteed your booked service at that time.

And as has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, "checking in" has a hotel/resort industry standard definition -- it means the time that the guest can take occupancy of the room.

You can list 50 other things for which "check in" means something different. But that doesn't change the fact that in the hotel/resort industry, it means that's the time you can take occupancy of the room.

Look, I know people don't want to wade through 700 posts looking for answers. But somewhere in the previous 30 pages there was somebody who reported talking to a Disney manager/VIP, who indicated that when the room isn't ready at check-in time, they (Disney) consider it a failure. Because that's what it is.

Unsubscribing,
David

And as has been pointed out numerous times on this thread, "checking in" has a hotel/resort industry standard definition -- it means the time that the guest can take occupancy of the room.

You can list 50 other things for which "check in" means something different. But that doesn't change the fact that in the hotel/resort industry, it means that's the time you can take occupancy of the room.

Once again, in Disney speak, you can check in before your room is ready.:) You can check in for your room way before you can take occupancy of it.

It doesn't really matter what the rest of the world does. Disney does their own thing. There is no law anywhere that states every business must make their rooms available at a certain time. Disney can check people in weeks before their vacations. They can say check in is after 3pm if they want to. Their business, their decision to make. Even if you think it is the wrong decision.

Look, I know people don't want to wade through 700 posts looking for answers. But somewhere in the previous 30 pages there was somebody who reported talking to a Disney manager/VIP, who indicated that when the room isn't ready at check-in time, they (Disney) consider it a failure. Because that's what it is.

Unsubscribing,
David

Then they must "fail" an awful lot, because it is impossible to have all available rooms ready to turn at 3pm.

I have had good luck, checking in as early as 10:30am and having a room ready. And bad luck, checking in at 3pm and not getting a room until 5pm.

In fact, my last stay in Sept (3-10th) was at Poly CL. We checked in at 10am and our room wasn't ready until 3:30pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter