• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

Does this race sell out quickly? and are all resorts a host, like the PHM? Thank you!

Does this race sell out quickly? and are all resorts a host, like the PHM? Thank you!

ToT did sell out this year but, if I remember right, it took a few months. Price does go up though, the closer you get to booking. If you are a DVC member, you can sometimes book early and with a discount.

Typically, there are only a handful of resorts that are "hosts" for this race. A few from every price category will be included. You can check on runDisney's site for this past year's host resorts but they do change them up from time to time so there's no guarantee they'll be included for 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

ToT did sell out this year but, if I remember right, it took a few months. Price does go up though, the closer you get to booking. If you are a DVC member, you can sometimes book early and with a discount.

Typically, there are only a handful of resorts that are "hosts" for this race. A few from every price category will be included. You can check on runDisney's site for this past year's host resorts but they do change them up from time to time so there's no guarantee they'll be included for 2014.

They also added a few host resorts after registration for 2013...when I first registered (in Feb. 2013) the Deluxe host resorts were BC and YC, which sold out QUICKLY and I wasn't able to reserve so I booked POFQ. A couple months later, they added WL and Poly, so I was able to switch.

I've been following this thread for quite some time. (on Disboards daily but never post!) There seems to be a lot of discussion about "official" TOT dates (especially on Facebook) so I both called and emailed runDisney. In both cases they confirmed the October 3-4 dates and said they would not be changing. Just thought I'd let you know.

Although I am just a middle aged beginner runner, my daughter and I recently completed our first 5k. She LOVES Disney so for her 16th birthday, we are going to fly down to do the TOT 10 miler. She thinks we are training for a local race so it will be a complete surprise until shortly before the race. Too cold to run now so we are planning on resuming our training in March (unless the weather warms up a little bit). It's nice to see all the kind words and motivation given in this thread.

I've been following this thread for quite some time. (on Disboards daily but never post!) There seems to be a lot of discussion about "official" TOT dates (especially on Facebook) so I both called and emailed runDisney. In both cases they confirmed the October 3-4 dates and said they would not be changing. Just thought I'd let you know.

Although I am just a middle aged beginner runner, my daughter and I recently completed our first 5k. She LOVES Disney so for her 16th birthday, we are going to fly down to do the TOT 10 miler. She thinks we are training for a local race so it will be a complete surprise until shortly before the race. Too cold to run now so we are planning on resuming our training in March (unless the weather warms up a little bit). It's nice to see all the kind words and motivation given in this thread.

That is SO awesome that you are making it a surprise for her! I keep hinting at my Dh that he should do that for me, hoping he's done it for PHM next month!

Also, since you mentioned that you are a beginner, I think it is a great race for a beginner! Last year, it was my second race ever--I actually wanted it to be my very first, but I did a small local 10k prior so I could have a "proof of time." The TOT was so well organized (I did the Marine Corps Marathon a couple weeks later and was shocked at how less organized the corrals were compared to Disney!) and fun!

I REALLY want to run this again in 2014, but I got a last minute opportunity to run the Tinkerbell half in Disneyland in a couple weeks, so now I know I will want to run the W&D half in November so I can get the Coast to Coast medal. Not sure I'll be able to swing the $ and time to do Disney races two months in a row! :(

Good Luck with your training!

Does anyone have any info on the party in the park after the race? I keep hearing about it but would like to know if anyone has experienced it first hand. Thanks!

I've been following this thread for quite some time. (on Disboards daily but never post!) There seems to be a lot of discussion about "official" TOT dates (especially on Facebook) so I both called and emailed runDisney. In both cases they confirmed the October 3-4 dates and said they would not be changing. Just thought I'd let you know. Although I am just a middle aged beginner runner, my daughter and I recently completed our first 5k. She LOVES Disney so for her 16th birthday, we are going to fly down to do the TOT 10 miler. She thinks we are training for a local race so it will be a complete surprise until shortly before the race. Too cold to run now so we are planning on resuming our training in March (unless the weather warms up a little bit). It's nice to see all the kind words and motivation given in this thread.

That's such a great surprise for your daughter. I'm sure she'll love it! I'm a new runner too and ToT will be my first disney race and my first race this long.

That is SO awesome that you are making it a surprise for her! I keep hinting at my Dh that he should do that for me, hoping he's done it for PHM next month!

Also, since you mentioned that you are a beginner, I think it is a great race for a beginner! Last year, it was my second race ever--I actually wanted it to be my very first, but I did a small local 10k prior so I could have a "proof of time." The TOT was so well organized (I did the Marine Corps Marathon a couple weeks later and was shocked at how less organized the corrals were compared to Disney!) and fun!

I REALLY want to run this again in 2014, but I got a last minute opportunity to run the Tinkerbell half in Disneyland in a couple weeks, so now I know I will want to run the W&D half in November so I can get the Coast to Coast medal. Not sure I'll be able to swing the $ and time to do Disney races two months in a row! :(

Good Luck with your training!

Glad to hear that this is such an organized race. I've been a little anxious because the corrals look like a huge mob. We were thinking of doing a local 10k in order to submit proof of time but I don't know if it will work out with her school/activity schedule so we will most likely end up in the last corral ... right in front of the dreaded balloon ladies that I've read about.

Good luck at the Tinkerbell half and I really hope that your husband surprises you with the Princess HM.

That's such a great surprise for your daughter. I'm sure she'll love it! I'm a new runner too and ToT will be my first disney race and my first race this long.

I have to admit that I am a little nervous about surprising her. The good news is that she knows that we are training for a run (1/2 marathon the same month as this) so the distance shouldn't be a problem. I know that I just have to give her enough advanced notice to decide on a costume and get it together! Will you be running something 10k or longer to submit proof of time or will you be in the last corral with us?

Does anyone who has run this race know if there are lots of costumes at night? I know that there are at the family 5k but unsure about the night run. I am trying to decide if we should go the costume route or join a "running team" and wear their shirts.

There were so many costumes at the tot last October. I felt out of place in my running clothes. :)

I agree! To me, it seemed like at least half the people running had some type of costume or "themed" running clothes.

Hubby and I have a great idea for ToT costumes but will have to figure out how to make them running friendly. We've got plenty of time I guess..,,

Does anyone have any info on the party in the park after the race? I keep hearing about it but would like to know if anyone has experienced it first hand. Thanks!

Hi I was there last year, is there something specific you wanted to know about?

After I crossed the finish line, I got my medal, bottle of water, a box of food, and then went to get the bag I checked. Then I went to the changing tent to change into some dry clothes.
It was a hot and sweaty race so fresh clothes felt good!

Then I set out to find the person I came with (My aunt, she didn't run, just watched.)

We were able to meet up, mostly through cell phones/texting, though there is some type of official "meet up" area. To be honest, I started feeling kind of dizzy and disoriented around this point, I think from the heat, dehydration, and just the crowds. My aunt helped me find a place to sit and have a bit to drink and eat from the box...then I felt better and we set off to go on some rides.

At first we did have to do some maneuvering because parts of the park were roped off for the race still. We were able to ride a couple rides, but my aunt doesn't like Tower of Terror or RocknRoller coaster (my favorites!) so I rode those with some new friends I had met while waiting for the race to start and my aunt found a place to sit and people watch (she insisted she was having a great time doing that). She ended up right near where Gaston was doing his meet and greet and she said he was AMAZING and was a having a fabulous time just watching him interact with the people.

One thing I do remember, the line for the bathroom was LONG (a lot of people changing in there instead of the changing tent) and some people were getting very sick (vomiting).
Besides that, it was a great time!

Hi I was there last year, is there something specific you wanted to know about? After I crossed the finish line, I got my medal, bottle of water, a box of food, and then went to get the bag I checked. Then I went to the changing tent to change into some dry clothes. It was a hot and sweaty race so fresh clothes felt good! Then I set out to find the person I came with (My aunt, she didn't run, just watched.) We were able to meet up, mostly through cell phones/texting, though there is some type of official "meet up" area. To be honest, I started feeling kind of dizzy and disoriented around this point, I think from the heat, dehydration, and just the crowds. My aunt helped me find a place to sit and have a bit to drink and eat from the box...then I felt better and we set off to go on some rides. At first we did have to do some maneuvering because parts of the park were roped off for the race still. We were able to ride a couple rides, but my aunt doesn't like Tower of Terror or RocknRoller coaster (my favorites!) so I rode those with some new friends I had met while waiting for the race to start and my aunt found a place to sit and people watch (she insisted she was having a great time doing that). She ended up right near where Gaston was doing his meet and greet and she said he was AMAZING and was a having a fabulous time just watching him interact with the people. One thing I do remember, the line for the bathroom was LONG (a lot of people changing in there instead of the changing tent) and some people were getting very sick (vomiting). Besides that, it was a great time!

Thank you for the details!! I appreciate it, I'm just looking for info like this to understand what it's like after the race. Are all the rides in the park open? Are there food trucks or the restaurants open to get some food? Thanks again for your help :)

Thank you for the details!! I appreciate it, I'm just looking for info like this to understand what it's like after the race. Are all the rides in the park open? Are there food trucks or the restaurants open to get some food? Thanks again for your help :)

Not everything, but most of the "big ones" that typically have long lines.
We walked right on to Star Tours, but I know we waited maybe 10 minutes or so for Rocknroller Coaster, and I think we waited at least 25-30 minutes for Tower of Terror. I want to say we waited about 20 minutes or so for Toy Story Mania, but I might be off on that.

There was also a band playing for dancing, but when I walked by, there were only 2 girls dancing.

There were places to buy food--I remember one of my friends that I met at the race had a hamburger from somewhere? (sorry I can't be more specific!) and there were wine/beer stands open for drinks :rotfl: I don't think any of the table service places were open though--just counter service.

Not everything, but most of the "big ones" that typically have long lines. We walked right on to Star Tours, but I know we waited maybe 10 minutes or so for Rocknroller Coaster, and I think we waited at least 25-30 minutes for Tower of Terror. I want to say we waited about 20 minutes or so for Toy Story Mania, but I might be off on that. There was also a band playing for dancing, but when I walked by, there were only 2 girls dancing. There were places to buy food--I remember one of my friends that I met at the race had a hamburger from somewhere? (sorry I can't be more specific!) and there were wine/beer stands open for drinks :rotfl: I don't think any of the table service places were open though--just counter service.

Great, thank you so much for the details!! Maybe I'll see ya there!

Great, thank you so much for the details!! Maybe I'll see ya there!

I hope so! Right now I'm hoping to do both TOT AND W&D, but depending on $ and my Dh's time off work, I might have to choose, and I haven't done W&D yet. I REALLY want to do TOT again, though!

I hope so! Right now I'm hoping to do both TOT AND W&D, but depending on $ and my Dh's time off work, I might have to choose, and I haven't done W&D yet. I REALLY want to do TOT again, though!

I understand completely! We are going through dates for our trip with the family now, and I hope we pick this week so I can run in it too! I would love to do W&D, I am running PHM in Feb as my first and I'm so excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter