Toy Story Mania, is it really all that?

I'll write from the perspective of older adults. The last time my husband played it, he was 53. My dad was 74 when he did TSMM. Both of them commented that they liked TSMM better because you knew where your targets were and therefore had a better chance of succeeding at the game (they are both competitive!!). Because of my age, I love the queue for Toy Story because of the attention to detail about all the toys I grew up with.

I personally like Buzz better because I can usually find my laser and so can target things fairly well (no record score or anything, but ok), and the "thrill factor" is about the same as TSMM (i.e. family-friendly). Because it is a fast-loader, you have the opportunity to do it multiple times using the stand-by line with reasonable waits. The waits at TSMM turn me off, and I would rather fastpass other things at DHS, so that's why I prefer Buzz.

If I have a FP for Toy Story Mania from 10:05 - 11:05am, assuming we get in line at 10:05am is it possible to make it to the Frozen Sing Along at 10:30? Do CM ever let you in a few mins early? We have to leave HS at 11am so I am hoping to squeeze both in. Wish I could get an early FP. Too bad I can't trade my early TOT for TSMM.

We have only done this once at DW. We did not want to waste the time in line or FP line the last two trips. We may do it this year with FP+, but my youngest now wants the RNR more. We rode this probably 8 times in 5 days at DL last year with no longer than a 30 minute wait. It was great fun, but I don't think I would wait more than 30 minutes for it. We like Buzz just as much, probably because we could always get on it with 10 to 15 minute waits, over and over again.

I enjoy it even when I go solo. My older teens enjoy it as well. I can't do it more than once a day though - my arm/wrist gets sore.

When my friend went for her first trip to WDW with her young son (About 3-4 yrs) I spent some time explaining FP- emphasizing how important it was to get extra TSM FP. Naturally she didn't listen and after they rode it 1x with their FP-, their son immediately started begging to ride it again. He begged so much, they eventually waited in a 2-3 hr line. (YIKES!!)

It's one of my favorites rides in WDW and really exemplifies the type of ride that WDW is known for - fun the whole family can do together. It's adorable, whimsical, and just so darned cute! Plus it helps that my family is competitive and likes games :)

I've waited 2-3 hours in other amusement parks for coasters lasting a few short seconds. With FPs and planning, I don't have to wait like that in WDW so I have never waited long for this ride. But I would if that was the only way to ride.

We had a fastpass for it and really enjoyed it! I would say that it was our family's favorite ride because it had something for everyone. Also, it was easier to fire and tell what you were firing out than the Buzz Lightyear ride. It was definitely easier for my 4 year old to work the gun on TSM.

If I have a FP for Toy Story Mania from 10:05 - 11:05am, assuming we get in line at 10:05am is it possible to make it to the Frozen Sing Along at 10:30? Do CM ever let you in a few mins early? We have to leave HS at 11am so I am hoping to squeeze both in. Wish I could get an early FP. Too bad I can't trade my early TOT for TSMM.

Possibly, but don't count on it. Sometimes the FP line moves quickly, but it merges into the standby line at some point...sometimes you may load in the first 10 minutes or so you're there, but sometimes not. You probably will not be let in early for TSM...maybe in the last five minutes or so, but don't count on it.

After several years of bypassing the long lines for this, finally got to ride it in May!

The first time, had a fast pass. Fun ride; very fun. Seventy-five year old mom likes it better than Buzz Lightyear ride, easier targets, faster pace. I'm a Buzz ride loyalist, but I admit, riding these two on back to back days, Buzz was showing his age, and the guns/targets were a bit frustrating.

A few days later we (2 adults, no kids) were back at Hollywood Studios again, just to see Fantasmic. We had a few hours to kill, so decided to wait on line, no FastPass, for Toy Story Mania. The sign said 65 minutes. Without exaggeration, this line took well over 1 hour and 20 minutes. It was quite maddening. Many people waited close to an hour and then gave up, not seeing the end in sight (others seemed to have dinner reservations).

Most people took it in stride, most kids handled it well. The large family group in front of us was a bit of an oddity, though. Instead of keeping the kids calm, by playing, let's say, "I Spy" (there's lots to look at!), young auntie was whipping her charges into a hyperactive, rough physical play frenzy for the better part of one hour, before their whole troop called it quits and left the line. Bizarre lack of common courtesy.

As for the ride/wait, nothing is worth that kind of time suck, EXCEPT, as I said, we had no other plans, needs. Hard call to say whether we'd do that kind of wait again. If you do want to wait, bring some water, lots of patience and a good attitude! :)

Really enjoyed it. We had a group of 16 and it's fun competing with each other in the ride. It was like having mini rounds as you move from each section of the ride. Would only do FP. No way I'm waited in the long wait times without the FP.

I don't think so. If it was up to me, I wouldn't even waste a FP+ on it (which still made it about a 20 minute wait). My Disney-apathetic husband enjoyed it, though, and the kids loved it. In addition to being generally underwhelming, I also found the spins to be surprisingly rough on my toddler.

I prefer Buzz and like that you can ride it over and over with little to no wait.

YMMV, obviously, but this is coming from a huge Toy Story fan.

We love this ride as adults, although an FP is a must or the line must be 30 or less. Not worth more than that. I'm not really sure of any ride that is worth more than that. MAYBE 7D in the very very back at night if its 35 min *lol*.

Its definitely a main attraction. Actually we have had serious family throw down scream fests over who booked RnRc over TSMM and this with only adults in the picture! :eek:

At DCA it is possible to ride this as a walk-on for the first hour of the day, especially with early entry. Yet we go on it once, at most. Even when there is no wait at all it's just not that exciting for us. I agree with the PP that this should not be a ride at all, it should have been a game at DisneyQuest. The Pirates attraction at DQ uses the same technology, but is loads more fun. This could have been done along those lines.

I'm 60 years old and I vacation solo. That said, this ride is totally delightful ! One of my last vacation days I once waited in line for 60 minutes. Normally I would never wait that long! As I left the ride, I thought it was well worth it! I just love this ride !

There's a grace period of 5 minutes before the FP time, and 15 minutes after. That being said, the Frozen show is a pretty long walk (considering the size of the park) from TSM. I saw the singalong last month, and the auditorium was completely filled about 15 minutes prior to the show starting. I wouldn't risk it, I'd just try to see the next Frozen show instead :)

And on a related note, I love TSM! What an awesome ride. I score a lot higher on TSM than Buzz Lightyear because I can actually see where I'm shooting. It's just a really fun time, a must do whenever I'm in HS.

It's a lot of fun! If you can get Fastpasses for it, I'd say do it! It gets addicting lol

We had a fp+ for it in the afternoon, but decided to go right at rope drop and line up for it in hopes of doing it twice on our only DHS day, and I'm SO glad we did. We didn't wait as long as we would have without a fp+ in the afternoon, maybe 25 minutes I would guess which isn't too bad, but the ride went down RIGHT as we walked up later that afternoon for time #2 to use our fp+ and we were out of luck. So at least we got to ride it once, and it kept us giggling and it was a really fun experience for me and my dd, better than Buzz, IMO. But I am not sure I would wait 90 minutes for it.

It went down a few times during our January trip. Took quite a bit of time for it to come back.

Get a fastpass for it (no need to get trampled by the stampede at rope drop) and enjoy! way better than the Buzz Lightyear at MK. One of the biggest steps forward in non-thrill ride attractions in ages!!! It's addictive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter