Trading Pins from Ebay

On thing that I have been looking at is if a larger lot says that it has no duplicates. One other thing to remember, there are a lot of pins that are not as desirable as others. These pins would have a significantly lower value than retail.

This is such a twisted can of worms. I almost wished I never got started down this path. To late now because the girls are all excited about it.

Dave,
Don't let this ugliness erase the PURE joy of pin trading for you and your girls! Seriously, you are now well equipped to pin trade for quality pins. If you're looking to buy some before your trip, look online @ disneyshopping.com, I've found some great deals there. Also the Disney store (if you have one close) and individual pins on ebay from reputable sellers for authentic pins. There are collectors that decide to sell their pins and you can save some money.

If none of those really "float your boat" just buy them at the parks. If you have the Disney Visa or are a DVC member you get 10% off @ the DTD World of Disney store. They have box sets of 7 pins for $35. Then if you get the 10% thats 31.50 which equals $4.50 per pin. Even without the discount, you can get these box sets of pins (really cute too) for $5.00 each.

Seriously, don't let the overload of information take away the simple joy of trading for you or your girls, I certainly won't let it diminish the magic for me. I'm just more informed. Hope that helps and enjoy your trip!!!

So I took it upon myself to look for a few reputable sellers, here's what I found.
sleepys_emporium-link to an auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MOUSE-COLORFUL-BOX-CHARACTER-Disney-Lanyard-Pin_W0QQitemZ370161822737QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item370161822737&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Click on the link, then on "view sellers other items" to look at more.
Mostly individual pins and free shipping!

I looked for awhile and this seller is definitely the best. I saw absolutely NO scrappers, all authentic pins. Same day free shipping and reasonable prices for nice pins. Hope that helps

It has been YEARS since I have bought pins off Ebay. But generally I would either search for specific themes or characters. And if I placed a bid, most likely the seller would combine shipping for multiple pin purchases. That usually made the pins a lot better in price.
I often found my better deals for sellers who misspelled in their title. :thumbsup2 I learned to purposely misspell character names or themes and get off the beaten path of other bidders and get some pretty good buys that way. For example Toy Story maybe be Toy Store or Toy Storie.
Generally I bought individual pins. If I bought a "lot" then I made sure I was actually seeing a photo of the pins I was buying. And there was usually never more than maybe 5 in a lot.
Those large lots everyone mentioned here is what sends up some drastic red flags for me.

I bought pins from Sleepys_emporium, they arrived today and they are not scrappers. I was very pleased with the service and I would definately buy from them again. I bought 3 individual pins so could see what I was getting before I bidded.

I bought pins from Sleepys_emporium, they arrived today and they are not scrappers. I was very pleased with the service and I would definately buy from them again. I bought 3 individual pins so could see what I was getting before I bidded.
Thanks for the feedback, looks live we've found our ebay seller!

I looked them up too. They did look legit.

BTW back to the original batch. As I have time, I have been checking on the pins that she sent me. So far of the ones that she sent, over 20% of what she sent me are scrappers. This is reinforcing my position that she was intentionally selling scrappers and that it was not just a few that slipped through.
The latest was from the 2009 marathon. This pin could only be purchased if you participated in the marathon. LE 1500. The registration fee for the marathon was $110-125 depending on when they registered. This pin also has a misspelling on the front. The word "challenge" is actually "challence".

This is the Pin that I have. (this is not my auction) HERE and this is a similar pin from the Disneypins.com site HERE
The following is just my opinion:
To me it looks like this was a screw up so they just had them remade with out the additional text. I would imagine that they had to rush these through so they just reused the same artwork.

I looked at both online pictures of the pins and here's my take.

#1) Legitimate Disney pins with "errors" are HIGHLY sought after by collectors as Disney usually catches the problems early on. The fact that there are several already in circulation for a nominal price is a red flag.

#2) The quality on the "error" pin does not match that of the Disney pin (I'm aware that online photos and quality of picture could affect this).

In my opinion, the marathon pin is a fake. However, that being said, these pins (errors) are the hardest to decipher if authentic or not. I have a set of 2 surfboards that are surprise pins, but on the back they say "surrprise pin" (two r's). I've consulted with many experts and none can say for sure.

Just my .02

Hi All,

I kind of feel I should know better and totally stay away from this thread. This is one of those DIScussions that can turn really bad, really quickly.

Having said that, (and I hope it saves me from being tarred and feathered:love: ). I will say that my name is Lisa and I bought pins from ebay:scared1: ). I bought a lot of 40 :scared: , got great service, and don't believe I have scrappers. I have looked at all of them VERY closely and have compared them to my "officially" purchased (in the parks at full price) (or CM traded) pins, and I cannot tell a difference. So I am going to give my ebay seller a 5 and fab service rating and happily trade my pins, even though they didn't cost $6.00 or $10.00 each! I will admit that I am no expert, this is only my second trip to the MAGICAL PLACE. However, I have tried to do my homework and refuse to let my vacation be ruined by so much unDis sentiment. If my DD trades a great pin for a crappy one, as long as she's happy, I am, too. At the same time, if I trade 1 "less than desirable one", I am not going to drag myself through the mud about it. Aren't there more important things to worry about these days?

Lisa

The photo is not showing above. Which marathon pin was it? I probably have one (that was purchased from Disney at the expo).
One of the 2009 Donald half marathon pins I consider an error. I have two, and on each Donald's pupil is not colored in. On Pinpics, Pin 67437: WDW - 2009 Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon (Donald Duck) is one of my pins.
Although Pin 67438: WDW - Goofy's Marathon Race-and-a-Half Challenge 2009 is one I do not have from this year, if that is the pin in question.

I collected and traded pins in the past, but did not really do anything after I bought some pins (a lot of 10) from an ebay seller in 2006 and figured out that one was a fake.
I stopped trading after that as I know the pins I bought up to that point (mostly purchased from disney sources only) were authentic pins. I have several boxed pin sets and limited edition pins.
I have over 1000 pins in my collection. I no longer want to trade. I have problems with my eyesite now and it would be much too hard for me to check the pins properly.
I also bought Sedesma pins while I was trading because I would give them away to kids who fell in love with my pins but either didn't trade pins or didn't have a pin I wanted to add to my collection. I also gave away a lot of pins I just didn't want, that I had gotten in 5 pin lots. It made a lot of kids happy!!
It's sad to see how things have changed. I love my pins and plan on keeping them and adding to my collection, but only by buying from disney sources.
Good going to those of you who are fighting the scrapper sellers. It all comes down to "If it seems too good to be true......."

Hi All,

I kind of feel I should know better and totally stay away from this thread. This is one of those DIScussions that can turn really bad, really quickly.

Having said that, (and I hope it saves me from being tarred and feathered:love: ). I will say that my name is Lisa and I bought pins from ebay:scared1: ). I bought a lot of 40 :scared: , got great service, and don't believe I have scrappers. I have looked at all of them VERY closely and have compared them to my "officially" purchased (in the parks at full price) (or CM traded) pins, and I cannot tell a difference. So I am going to give my ebay seller a 5 and fab service rating and happily trade my pins, even though they didn't cost $6.00 or $10.00 each! I will admit that I am no expert, this is only my second trip to the MAGICAL PLACE. However, I have tried to do my homework and refuse to let my vacation be ruined by so much unDis sentiment. If my DD trades a great pin for a crappy one, as long as she's happy, I am, too. At the same time, if I trade 1 "less than desirable one", I am not going to drag myself through the mud about it. Aren't there more important things to worry about these days?

Lisa

No tar and feathering, just a thought. As has already been addressed to death in this thread, pin trading counterfeit pins, regardless if you don't know they're fake (cough) or if it's just a child trading, or if you get a scrapper and are happy, trading fake pins HURTS EVERYONE in the long run.

I understand that you have only been twice and can ligitimately claim "I don't know any better, they look ok to me". The bottom line is, if you're buying large lots of pins cheap on ebay, you are contributing to the problem for the entire pin trading community; how you justify that to yourself or anyone else is up to you. Knowing and doing the right thing is not easy, it takes effort. Turning a blind eye is much easier and will hurt everyone in the long run. Just my .02 (must be at least a dollar of my two cent's worth) :lmao:

I just bought a lot on ebay and got it in the mail today. 90% of them are scrappers. And most of them are the ones people have talked about in this thread. going to file with ebay and paypal. Grrrrr... I got the phinneas and ferb one, of course the marathon ones with the misspelling, which gave them all away, the bad apple stitch one. These people must all be in cahoots with each other.

ETA: how expactly do I go about reporting and filing to ebay and paypal?? I can't find a link on ebay anywhere about the fake items.

I just bought a lot on ebay and got it in the mail today. 90% of them are scrappers. And most of them are the ones people have talked about in this thread. going to file with ebay and paypal. Grrrrr... I got the phinneas and ferb one, of course the marathon ones with the misspelling, which gave them all away, the bad apple stitch one. These people must all be in cahoots with each other.

ETA: how expactly do I go about reporting and filing to ebay and paypal?? I can't find a link on ebay anywhere about the fake items.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but am happy you will be filing with ebay and Paypal. The more people we can get involved and protesting, the better chance we have to eliminate this problem. If you could also send your issues directly to disney at tips@disneyanticpiracy.com, that is our best bet. I KNOW without a doubt Disney is working on this problem, but the more people that complain directly to them, is (IMHO) the best chance.

Again, sorry this happened to you, it's happened to a couple of us on this thread, and it just plain sucks.

Will you please PM the name of the seller. I'd like to buy some pins but definitely want to avoid sellers that are known to have issues. Thanks.

:thumbsup2
E_BAY
1 sign in to E-Bay
2 In the top right corner click the help tab
3 Search Replica and Counterfeit Items
4 Click the link for Replica , Counterfeit Items and Unauthorized Copies
5 At the bottom of the article there is a link to report
6 Fill out the E-Mail
7 Don't forget to check the box to send it to your own E-mail(keep copies of all correspondence during these processes)
8 Click SEND

PAY_PAL

1 sign in to Pay-Pal
2 On the My Account chose the Resolution Center link
3 Click Dispute Transaction
4 Select Item dispute: I did not receive an item I purchased or the item I received is significantly not as described. and press CONTINUE
5 Enter transaction ID and press CONTINUE
6 This is far as I can describe without actually doing it, so from here on you are on your own!

Pay-Pals Deffenition
What is Significantly Not as Described (SNAD)?

An item is Significantly Not as Described if it is materially different than what the seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:

*You received a completely different item. Example: You purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
*The condition of the item was misrepresented. Example: The listing said "new" and the item was used.

*The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.

*The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in the listing.
*You purchased three items from a seller but only received two.
*The item was damaged during shipment.

Oooh... Ooooh... did I embed the link right? This is my First post!

Please check these out and let me know what you think.

E-Bay IDs
olivejuiceyou21

domdisneypin

I am buying from both of these sellers. I only buy the pins I want to keep, I don't trade. After I get the pins I'll let you know how it went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter