Trainer for a day - Discovery Cove

toddml

Earning My Ears
We are planning on doing the trainer for a day program when we visit Florida in July! I just wondered if anyone had done it and what that thought about it? Has anyone heard anything about it and if you get any longer dolphin interaction?

Thanks

When we went to DC in August a few in our dolphin swim core group were in the "trainer for a day program"

There were maybe 8 in our group and 3 or 4 of them were in the trainer time. They showed up the same time we did, watched the same video, had the same interaction..

But later we saw them having a lunch with the same trainer that did our swim and a few other DC employees. I also saw them later wading out with some trainers doing stuff... (sorry couldn't tell you what they were doing) It was more like hey, look they are doing something... maybe they were feeding.. I don't know.

I saw some other people hanging out doing stuff in the bird aviary.. setting out meal stuff, and feeding the animals.

Hope that helps.

My wife and I were trainers for a day last May. My wife has always loved dolphins and so we incorporated our trip to WDW with Discovery Cove. I must say it was a unique and very fun experience.

We enjoyed the trainer for a day program but I will warn you that if you are looking for a more relaxing, "at your own pace" experience, then I would suggest doing just the regular package. "Trainers" have the normal time to swim with the dolphins like everyone else, but then you are guided throughout the park for fish feeding, shark feeding, bird feeding, sloth and ant-eater feeding, and then of course the dolphin feeding. You get a lot of instructed hands-on experience with all of the fish, and you even get to go into the back and mix up your own pail of fish to feed the dolphins. And then near the end of your day you get about an extra 15-20 minutes or so to swim with the dolphins.
You also get to hand feed the stingrays, which is really cool and weird, cause they suck the fish right out of your hand!

Really, we may have had only about an hour to relax and go where we wanted, the rest of the time was planned, but it was still very education and fun.

If you do the trainer for a day, don't expect to be swimming with the 'phins all day. Like I said, you get maybe 15-20 minutes at the end. There is a lot of instruction and QA time with all the animals and I think if you are looking for an educational experience then it is for you. If you just want to relax, then probably the regular dolphin swim package would be better.

It was a good one-time experience, but next time we go we will probably just do the simple package. Hope that helps!

my dd wants this as an xmas present as we are going next march my question is how long before your trip do u recomend booking the trainer for the day we are in the uk and I was wondering if we could book it when we arrive:)

I wouldnt recommend leaving that late to book! When we went last year it was full & as it is limited to the number of people who can be involved I would advise booking earlier, certainly dont leave it until you arrive, you could be very disappointed!

What I will say is that words cant describe how good it was, the description of the day doesnt do it justice.

We are going to DC during our HM. We were just going to do the non-interaction package since we have already been once with the dolphin interaction but I was thinking about surprising my fiancee with the trainer for a day. He is majoring in Marine Biology and would love it. Do yall think its worth it, or since it is a HM would it be better just to do the regular so we have more alone time and time to do what we want.

I never even thought of posting in this thread, but my nephew and I did the Trainer for a Day at Discovery Cove in July 2004.

Here's a link to that day's trip report.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=619831

We also did the Seaworld Marine Mammal Keeper Experience.
Here's a link to that day's trip report.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=619834

Here's a link to our pictures. I'm hoping the links still work.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=629963

I must say that of the two, the MMKE at SW was my favorite!

The TFAD at DC just seemed like a behind the scenes tour. The MMKE at SW was like you were part of the crew and pitched in to 'work' for the day. Much more of a learning experience and much more hands on time with the animals. The TFAD was ok, but I wouldn't pay to do it again, I'd just do a day at DC on my own. The MMKE was well worth the expense!!! I'm hoping to do it again some day!

Crissy7682 said:
We are going to DC during our HM. We were just going to do the non-interaction package since we have already been once with the dolphin interaction but I was thinking about surprising my fiancee with the trainer for a day. He is majoring in Marine Biology and would love it. Do yall think its worth it, or since it is a HM would it be better just to do the regular so we have more alone time and time to do what we want.

I say do it anyway! We are going on our HM im May and we have a trainer for a day booked at Gulf World in Panama. There will be other days that you move at your own pace. :thumbsup2

hi
just read your sea world and dc reports, they sound great...i was wondering roughly how much they cost...we will be there next christmas and would make a great present for my daughter...she's 9...is that age ok to do it? :sunny:

SeaWorld's MMKE you have to be 13.

Discovery Cove - Some feel it is too expensive. Some feel it is worth it. You can go to www.discoverycove.com for up-to-date prices and info. If you can afford this, it'd be a great relaxing day for the family. Though it was great, I wouldn't really recommend the TFAD program, I just think we would've enjoyed it more by relaxing and taking DC on our own time.

Cheers!

I did the Trainer for the day package about two years ago and was so lucky, becuase i was the only one in that group that day.

I had the best day and felt like i had the whole park to myself. I had pretty much one on one time with two of the Dolphins (Capricorn and Rascal) and i've never spend so much time smiling!

I've since been back and done the regular Dolphin swim, which was still great fun, but nothing could top the day i had on my own!

If you want to spend a day seeing the real work that goes into the running of a place like DC, then i would def say go for it!

BTW, if you do go, remember to give some time for the birds. I always get the idea that they are over shadowed by the dolphins, and its so much fun feeding all of them, esp the mouse birds!

Dan x

We did the trainer for the day program at Discovery Cove last September and my BF and I loved it. On top of the regular dolphin swim, you also get to experience what they call a "double foot push" where a dolphin will push you from your feet across the water. All the dolphin interaction was great, but my favourite was the double foot push! It was a lot of fun!

With the trainer package, you also get to go behind the scenes. At the time that we visited, we got to visit a trainer working with a baby nurse shark. He was showing us how they've trained the baby nurse shark to come to them on demand. They let us feed him, which was pretty cool. They were also trying to train him to squirt water out of his gills on command.

At some point, we also went behind the scenes and met a tortoise, an owl, an anteater and some parrots. We were given access to the aviary before anyone else, so we were there for the birds first feeding. We also waded with the sting rays, which I think you're able to do in a regular package. When we did arrive at the pool area, they kind of cleared a small area for us to interact with the sting rays, which made the interaction a little bit more private.

I didn't feel rushed at all throughout the whole day. It was very relaxing, but yes, it was very structured. The trainer gave us a couple opportunities to go out and do our own thing during the program. The program ended around 3pm, so we had a couple hours to do whatever we wanted, which was great.

Overall, the experience was fantastic and I will definitely do it again. The trainer that we were following around was great. She was taking pictures with our own camera throughout the day. We had unlimited access to food and drinks the whole day, so you really don't need to worry about anything or bring anything with you. The cost is a lot up front, but for what you get, it's really worth it.

Next time we visit Florida, we will definitely go back to DC!

Hope that helps!

I doubt it as you have to pay a deposit and it would not be safe to send credit card details by email.

Corinna

okay - that's true. but maybe it would work if I booked the regular swim package and ask them to upgrade it to a trainer day? then they already have all details they need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter